PDA

View Full Version : Ministering to Homosexuals

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 09:47 AM
We starting doing this new thing in our church service Sunday where we are starting to go through witnessing scenarios in order to prepare us better for questions and answers when witnessing to our friends/loved ones/strangers etc...

So anyway, in 1 scenario 2 ladies played lesbians but claimed they knew God and that they had went to church, but then some other Christians had told them before that they were going to hell :confused: , so what would be the point in sitting and listening to us :( (btw, I don't believe that at all, but I don't think that's the point)

Anyway, when witnessing back to them, we explained that God hates SIN and that we ALL have sin in our lives and He can heal us from our sins. Well, then they responded back that they didn't need to be healed from the "way God made us"---and that's when I began to realize that MOST homosexuals feel this way-meaning, they don't really have a choice in how they were born, so they are not "sick" or "sinners"-anymore than anybody would feel if they were born black, white or handicapped-meaning they felt they were just being who they thought God wanted them to be.

So, what is the best way to approach witnessing to Homosexuals?

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 10:01 AM
We starting doing this new thing in our church service Sunday where we are starting to go through witnessing scenarios in order to prepare us better for questions and answers when witnessing to our friends/loved ones/strangers etc...

So anyway, in 1 scenario 2 ladies played lesbians but claimed they knew God and that they had went to church, but then some other Christians had told them before that they were going to hell :confused: , so what would be the point in sitting and listening to us :( (btw, I don't believe that at all, but I don't think that's the point)

Anyway, when witnessing back to them, we explained that God hates SIN and that we ALL have sin in our lives and He can heal us from our sins. Well, then they responded back that they didn't need to be healed from the "way God made us"---and that's when I began to realize that MOST homosexuals feel this way-meaning, they don't really have a choice in how they were born, so they are not "sick" or "sinners"-anymore than anybody would feel if they were born black, white or handicapped-meaning they felt they were just being who they thought God wanted them to be.

Should men even minister to a homosexual 1 on 1? I don't know, I would think it would be like a straight man ministering to a straight woman 1 on 1. I've never ministered to homosexual, because honestly I'm just not there yet, I can't do it, God has to prepare me more for that one. I remember this homosexual dude came up to me and tried to really holla at me, I almost hit this dude! I came 2.5 seconds from punchin his teeth out. It was only the Holy Spirit that stopped me. And this was not to long ago. That's how I know I can't minister to a homosexual right now, I need work. :o Pray for me.

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 10:11 AM

You must have listened to Ray Comfort's "Hell's Best Kept Secret" sermon by now. If not, I can find it way back in the WOTM archives for you. In it, he makes a pretty big point that we witness to everyone the same way. Whether you're talking to an intellectual, an evolutionist, a homosexual, a Mormon, or a false convert of any kind, we do it the same. Use the law and their conscience to show them they're sinners and if they are humbled, give them the gospel.

There's no need to mention homosexuality at all and I don't think it's a good idea to do so because it's a very emotional topic that will take things off track very quickly.

djHeir
10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
You must have listened to Ray Comfort's "Hell's Best Kept Secret" sermon by now. If not, I can find it way back in the WOTM archives for you. In it, he makes a pretty big point that we witness to everyone the same way. Whether you're talking to an intellectual, an evolutionist, a homosexual, a Mormon, or a false convert of any kind, we do it the same. Use the law and their conscience to show them they're sinners and if they are humbled, give them the gospel.

There's no need to mention homosexuality at all and I don't think it's a good idea to do so because it's a very emotional topic that will take things off track very quickly.Yup, I agree. I think that bringing up homosexuality can take you down a rabbit trail very quickly. Instead of focusing on that, I'd rather talk about the sin of adultry and address the conscience to bring the knowledge of their sins. Good thread Chris!!!

jeyjey34
10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I agree with everyone else.

You wouldn't have to bring up the Homosexuality thing at first.

You could first focus on letting that person know about how God feels about sin, and show them in the Word what types of things God considers to be sin, such as lying, stealing, not honoring your father and mother, etc... Then you could slip in a verse along with those others about how God hates homosexuality.

That way, the person won't think that you're just focusing on ONE sin.

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I would say just pay attention to whats going on. Let them know God loves them, but every man and woman has desires they must deny in order to live holy and acceptable lives.

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree that we shouldn't just focus on the homosexual aspect of it, but in this particular instance THE COUPLE focused on it. So when THEY keep bringing up the fact that other Christians told them they'd be in hell, then what do you say?

Also, J-you said use the law-but again, what about if they don't feel like they are "in sin" because "God made them like that" :confused:

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree that we shouldn't just focus on the homosexual aspect of it, but in this particular instance THE COUPLE focused on it. So when THEY keep bringing up the fact that other Christians told them they'd be in hell, then what do you say?

Also, J-you said use the law-but again, what about if they don't feel like they are "in sin" because "God made them like that" :confused:
you let them know that if they change their ways and keep the relationship platonic, even though they are fighting their natural attraction to eachother, they will be admitted into the new earth!

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Are you talking about just the homosexuality thing? Or all sin?

Remind them that they are responsable for their own actions. Most people will accept that once it's clarified. Everyone has intentionally done malicious things before.

EDIT: Got back from my meeting. Yeah, some people will argue stuff like "I HAD to steal", "I did the right thing by lying", "I didn't feel guilty about that", etc. to minimize their sin but that can easily be defused by asking something like, "So EVERY time you lied, it was for a good cause? Every time you stole, it was neccessary?" or something like that. Every one sins for reasons that are obviously sinful. Don't let them hide behind the white lies and small theft.

djHeir
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM

Also, J-you said use the law-but again, what about if they don't feel like they are "in sin" because "God made them like that" :confused:If I were approached with the fact that others told them they'd go to hell cause they were homosexual, I'd probably be very inclined to define what hell is, and what the bible says are the qualifications for going there. I would try very heavily to not just focus on the sin of homosexuality, rather I would address the fact that we can't live up to God's standard of righteousness.

I would also probably respond to they "God made me this way" argument by asking about the thief who asked the judge to forgive him cause he was raised by thieves. Or the murderer who is banking on forgiveness cause he's always had suicidal thoughts. I do believe that to some degree we are products of our environment but at the end of the day we are still responsible for our choices and if we don't meet God's perfect and holy standard, we will be punished.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM

Firstly, we can show them through the law that homosexuality is not why they'll be in hell. Have you ever told a lie? Then what's that make you? Have you ever stolen? Then what's that make you? When you face God on the day of Judgement and He judges you by the ten commandments, since you admittedly have broken two already, will you be guilty or innocent? Etc...........Homosexuality has nothing to do (really) with the penalty of sin proper. I mean, if you're guilty of breaking God's law because you told one lie, that's enough for hell right there, nahmean? Homosexuality is just another on a list that begins with and includes deceit, lust, and lying. So we can simply use God's law to bring the knowledge of sin (without speaking about their homosexuality) and that will prayerfully enable us to preach Christ and the Gospel. When we can use the law to show the sinner that they are in desperate need of saving because they are a liar, thief, and adulterer at heart, we don't usually even have to answer questions about the kid in the amazon who never heard the Gospel, or the hypocrites in Church, or any of the other rabbit trails sinners try to take us down when evangelizing. Thing is, if we as Christians begin to keep it 100 with folk about the equality of treatment regarding sin (judgement), we'll not rank homosexuality higher than lying. For real, for real, motto with homosexuals, murderers, hustlers, etc. has been to use the law to bring about knowledge of sin (usually is effective using just 3 commandments really), expose them to the bad news of their condition before a holy and righteous God, then present the Gospel to them of how they can be saved from that state, the Holy Spirit convicts. If God saves them, lights everywhere come on within them. This light will expose the sin of their homosexuality. We should just give them Christ............

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Firstly, we can show them through the law that homosexuality is not why they'll be in hell. Have you ever told a lie? Then what's that make you? Have you ever stolen? Then what's that make you? When you face God on the day of Judgement and He judges you by the ten commandments, since you admittedly have broken two already, will you be guilty or innocent? Etc...........Homosexuality has nothing to do (really) with the penalty of sin proper. I mean, if you're guilty of breaking God's law because you told one lie, that's enough for hell right there, nahmean? Homosexuality is just another on a list that begins with and includes deceit, lust, and lying. So we can simply use God's law to bring the knowledge of sin (without speaking about their homosexuality) and that will prayerfully enable us to preach Christ and the Gospel. When we can use the law to show the sinner that they are in desperate need of saving because they are a liar, thief, and adulterer at heart, we don't usually even have to answer questions about the kid in the amazon who never heard the Gospel, or the hypocrites in Church, or any of the other rabbit trails sinners try to take us down when evangelizing. Thing is, if we as Christians begin to keep it 100 with folk about the equality of treatment regarding sin (judgement), we'll not rank homosexuality higher than lying. For real, for real, motto with homosexuals, murderers, hustlers, etc. has been to use the law to bring about knowledge of sin (usually is effective using just 3 commandments really), expose them to the bad news of their condition before a holy and righteous God, then present the Gospel to them of how they can be saved from that state, the Holy Spirit convicts. If God saves them, lights everywhere come on within them. This light will expose the sin of their homosexuality. We should just give them Christ............
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah What He Said!

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Have any of you guys ever ministered to a homosexual? if so, did using the law work?

3SpiritsEM
10-24-2006, 02:28 PM
My god, you guys are amazing how you protect homosexuals, you kept saying that itís no different than any other sin so you wouldnít bring up the world homosexual.

Iím waiting for somebody to show me a group of people who identify themselves with a sinful act. Take lying for example, is it a sin, yes, but what group of people identifies who thy are by the sin of lying. Why is it you have no problem bring up the sin of drunkenness to a drunk or the sin of witchcraft to a witch when tying to reach them but not to gays.

When people identify themselves by a sin, whether is its Muslims, Mormons, JW or whatever, the church has been using their own sin (who or what thy identify themselves as) to reach them with the truth. But for some reason when it comes to the only group of people who identifies themselves with a sinful act. You donít want to bring it up.

Devin
10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
My god, you guys are amazing how you protect homosexuals, you kept saying that itís no different than any other sin so you wouldnít bring up the world homosexual.

Iím waiting for somebody to show me a group of people who identify themselves with a sinful act. Take lying for example, is it a sin, yes, but what group of people identifies who thy are by the sin of lying. Why is it you have no problem bring up the sin of drunkenness to a drunk or the sin of witchcraft to a witch when tying to reach them but not to gays.

When people identify themselves by a sin, whether is its Muslims, Mormons, JW or whatever, the church has been using their own sin (who or what thy identify themselves as) to reach them with the truth. But for some reason when it comes to the only group of people who identifies themselves with a sinful act. You donít want to bring it up.

you just commited blashemy....

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Have any of you guys ever ministered to a homosexual? if so, did using the law work?
It's funny to use the word "work" like there is a definitive measure of if it did or not. However, the answer is yes I have ministered to a homosexual, and if the door being opened to express the Gospel in it's essence and power, yes, it did work. Homosexuality was never raised as an issue, and the fact was that the homosexual saw themselves as guilty before God; based strictly on their lying and thieving lol. That's amazing how the law being a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ is really true. Will the results be the same every time? Nah, but that doesn't mean the method isn't valid. It's as valid today as it was when Jesus used it to show sin to the rich young ruler................The point we want to get to when sharing the Gospel, is........well.........sharing the Gospel. It's always a work of the Holy Spirit when a sinful, God-hating person actually listens to you explain the sin that's in them and the remedy to that sin, namely Christ and Him crucified, and resurrected.

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 02:34 PM
I've tried online 2 or 3 times and they have always been arrogant and self-righteous. Never in person though. I actually have never met anyone who is openly gay.

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 02:36 PM

Have you ever tried to convince a homosexual that it is a sin? And does it matter what sins specifically they're humbled by?

djHeir
10-24-2006, 02:37 PM

When people identify themselves by a sin, whether is its Muslims, Mormons, JW or whatever, the church has been using their own sin (who or what thy identify themselves as) to reach them with the truth. But for some reason when it comes to the only group of people who identifies themselves with a sinful act. You donít want to bring it up.It's not that you can't or that you shouldn't, however because of how some members of the "church" have targeted homosexuals, we have to be mindfull of the approach that we use when witnessing to them. Could we just say turn or burn? Sure, but would the message come across? Like it's been stated before, sin is sin and I could care less what specific sin you indentify yourself by, we all have sinned, we all fail the test of the commandments, whether by a little or by a lot. To focus on a specific sin, especially homosexuality, can set you up to be led down rabbit trails, thereby missing the opportunity to minister the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
1 Corin. 6:9 "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."It looks like here ^^^ that homos are in the same boat as heterosexual offenders-sooooo am I not reading this right?

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh and that begs to question, can you be a "saved homosexual"? And if you say no, then please explain to me how you can be a saved heterosexual, but NOT a saved homo.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 02:47 PM

I hope you haven't wrongfully misconstrued my remarks as protecting of homosexuals? lol. Jesus didn't protect greedy people when he presented the law to the rich young ruler.........It just isn't necessary to address homosexuality every time you minister to a homosexual. See, the fact is people involved in a lifestyle of gross sin already know asides, and ways around the Gospel argument/presentation when it comes to their pet sin. So the funny thing is, it wouldn't be unbiblical to address the sin just as it is, in this case homosexuality; the problem would be, since they're homosexual and this is the point of pressure application for most Christians who have "evangelized" them, they are well versed in aversion speak, etc. If you start to talk about the Biblical implications of homosexuality with a homosexual, you'll get argument. The purpose of using the law (lying, stealing, adultery, blasphemy) is it allows you to circumnavigate the place of argument (brain) and head straight for the place of conviction and agreement (the conscience). When you play on the familiar ground of "let's discuss the Lord's attitude towards your type," you run a very real risk of not getting far at all. When we simply use the law that WE ALL have broken, we better utilize what God has given us for the purpose it was given. A school master to lead us to Christ. Romans tells us also that it will be by the law that the mouths of sinners will be closed, removing their excuses...........

tlr
10-26-2006, 09:41 AM
could you pls tell me where in the new testatement that God asked us to use the law to convict any one of sin?

TrueConvert
10-26-2006, 10:36 AM
could you pls tell me where in the new testatement that God asked us to use the law to convict any one of sin?
Did not Paul say that had it not been for the law, he would not have known sin? Or that where there is no law, there is no transgression?
Or that the law is the schoolmaster to lead us to Christ?
Or when the law came, he died
Or that the law showed his sin to be exceedingly sinful?
Or that the law is what will shut the mouths of excuse makers?
Did not Jesus use the law when discussing eternal matters with the rich young ruler.
Check out Romans 7 and see how Paul views the law and its use. It's in there cat-daddy...........
and I'm sure some others can add to this list.

apokalum
10-26-2006, 10:41 AM

There's no need to mention homosexuality at all and I don't think it's a good idea to do so because it's a very emotional topic that will take things off track very quickly.

I'd like to hear this. Can you find it?

TrueConvert
10-26-2006, 10:46 AM
www.wayofthemaster.com

www.livingwaters.com

you should be able to find it on one or both of these sites for free. :)

J Hoyt
10-26-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com/podcast/2005/12/29/podcast-1-hells-best-kept-secret/

I'm pretty sure this is it.

montenell
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
It looks like here ^^^ that homos are in the same boat as heterosexual offenders-sooooo am I not reading this right?

yep same boat, i think that is a good way to witness to them though. like for instance i was "sexually immoral" as a heterosexual male so its a good witness to talk about how i was delivered from that, and to let them know that God can deliver them from anything

ministerbj
10-27-2006, 04:32 AM
My god, you guys are amazing how you protect homosexuals, you kept saying that it’s no different than any other sin so you wouldn’t bring up the world homosexual.

I’m waiting for somebody to show me a group of people who identify themselves with a sinful act. Take lying for example, is it a sin, yes, but what group of people identifies who thy are by the sin of lying. Why is it you have no problem bring up the sin of drunkenness to a drunk or the sin of witchcraft to a witch when tying to reach them but not to gays.

When people identify themselves by a sin, whether is its Muslims, Mormons, JW or whatever, the church has been using their own sin (who or what thy identify themselves as) to reach them with the truth. But for some reason when it comes to the only group of people who identifies themselves with a sinful act. You don’t want to bring it up.

i agree with you.. i was delivered from homosexuality and yes they need to be confronted with the sin they are doing.... most of all THE DEMON that's in them need to be confronted to let him know he has been seen.....we are dealing with spirits and demons not just flesh... sometimes we like to play on people emotions and how everything with make them feel... but we also need to tell them the truth... because when they hear God speak to them about the sin.. He's not going to be all mooshy mooshy about it.. .He's going to tell them that they need to be delivered and WARNING COMES BEFORE DESTRUCTION....God is not playing with us..... we also have to do it in LOVE.... and LOVE is not always mooshy mooshy either.. now i didn't say go beat somebody over the head with the scriptures but minister to them about that sin.

The enemy has some if not most homosexuals full of pride.. some want to stop and those are the ones that are open to discussion about being delivered... but some are just prideful and arrogant that no matter what you say there will be an argument about it. and even if you try to slip something else in there.. they know that you are coming against their lifestyle... most homosexuals are also smart.. so they know when you talk about Jesus that you are going to talk about the sin that's in them... The DEMON in them know when you say or talk about JESUS.. that you are coming to warn them.. so the DEMON gets pride ful and will block you out.... but only God can penetrate through all that... Minister to them the gospel and confront the DEMON of Homosexualtiy that's in them letting him know you recognize him... and then pray for the person....

ministerbj
10-27-2006, 04:33 AM
you just commited blashemy....

the g is god was lower cased...lol