PDA

View Full Version : Should Christians Have High Self-Esteem???

thenewguy07
10-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Hey fam, I just wanted to hear yall's thoughts on self-esteem and how it plays a role in the life of a Christian. By definition (www.webster.com) it is "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself", and directly links to self-concept, which is "the mental image of oneself".

So, to put it in a question form (for those who don't like to think abstractly ;) )...Should Christians have high-self esteem? If so, on what basis? If not, on what basis?

If it sounds like a dumb question, and yall want me to clarify, just let me know.

NinaNeen
10-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey fam, I just wanted to hear yall's thoughts on self-esteem and how it plays a role in the life of a Christian. By definition (www.webster.com) it is "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself", and directly links to self-concept, which is "the mental image of oneself".

So, to put it in a question form (for those who don't like to think abstractly ;) )...Should Christians have high-self esteem? If so, on what basis? If not, on what basis?

If it sounds like a dumb question, and yall want me to clarify, just let me know.

Well, I believe people should know who they are in Christ Jesus. After reading Victory over the Darkness...I gained a greater understanding of who I am in Christ. I am precious in His sight and He's my only eternal satisfaction. Unfortunately, not many people know who they are in Christ, let alone know who they are as a person. For whatever various reasons, many people have low self-esteem. I believe low self-esteem could be shattered by the power of Jesus and simply knowing who you are in Christ.

I know for me to know that I'm desired by the King of all creation...not only is that poetry to my ears but it's oh-so-satisfying and encouraging...:D
I love me some JESUS

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 12:12 AM
we should have the highest self esteem in the world....but thats only b/c we have a glimpse of what God thinks of us....our self esteem is linked to the fact that God views us as highly esteemed!

H2flow
10-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Thats a good question. I don't think it's a stupid one. Seems like a study of psychology. The word Phychology is made up of the greek word "Psyche" (The Psyche was the Greek concept of the self, encompassing the modern ideas of Soul, Self and Mind. The Greeks believed that the mind, soul or "psyche" was responsible for behaviour). In my personal opinion I believe that some of Psychology is based upon Darwinism and Greek thought, but all of it is not bad though. Confidence is good but over Confidence is bad. The bible says to be of a
sober mind. And I do beleive that People can have improper mental images of themselves. Confidence that God is for you is good. But any form of Confidence that displeases God is bad. "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself" seems to me to mean an inner peace and clear concious, which only God can provide. And apart from God is only an illusion. So if you got the mind of Christ you can truly be at peace.

eve
10-24-2006, 08:58 AM
In Luke 10, Jesus said, "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

He was talking to His followers who were excited about the power of the Holy Spirit that had been made manifest through them. Anyone would be excited about being able to do away with a slimy imp that was destroting someone's life. Nevertheless, Jesus said that rejoicing should be over our gracious eternal destination. Not our current accomplishments. I believe he would say the same about our "self-esteem;" that it should be an afterthought compared to our joy at that which is to come: the reveltion of our true worth, which is based on the grace of God and not ourselves at all.

It's best to have esteem in That which can't change and won't disappoint.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 09:04 AM
In Luke 10, Jesus said, "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

He was talking to His followers who were excited about the power of the Holy Spirit that had been made manifest through them. Anyone would be excited about being able to do away with a slimy imp that was destroting someone's life. Nevertheless, Jesus said that rejoicing should be over our gracious eternal destination. Not our current accomplishments. I believe he would say the same about our "self-esteem;" that it should be an afterthought compared to our joy at that which is to come: the reveltion of our true worth, which is based on the grace of God and not ourselves at all.

It's best to have esteem in That which can't change and won't disappoint.
Nicely put. Is there a difference between healthy self-image and high self-esteem?

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Yes, actually to have low-self esteem is not of God. There's a difference between high self esteem and pride.

*This isn't an exhaustive list, just some examples

Pride is thinking more of yourself than you really are. Thinking your an 8 when you're really a 5.
Pride is thinking that you are who you are because of something you've done for yourself.
Pride is looking at other people and thinking your better than them.
Pride is not allowing anyone, even God to help you fix your problems because you think you can do everything yourself.
Pride is thinking you're always right, and that your way is the best and only way people should do things.
Pride is saying what you want whenever you want because, "You're not gonna bite your tounge for nobody."
Pride is not doing what you know God is telling you to do because you don't want people to look at you the wrong way.

High self-esteem is, even though you know you're only a 5 you thank God for bringing you from a 3, and trust in Him to take you to a 10.
High self-esteem is knowing that you're no longer the foot of the world but you're now the head in Jesus Christ.
High self-esteem is knowing that you're a child of the King and worth being treated with respect and love.
High self-esteem is living life with an understanding that God has created you for greatness and because of Him you can do all things.
High self-esteem is knowing that though you're not where you wanna be, the Father still sees great worth in you, and you are still loved by Him.
High self-esteem is even though other people may think you're a loser, you know that you're a champion because of what Jesus Christ has said about you.

Yes, Christians should have high-self esteem. To have low self esteem means that you do not have an understand of who you are in Christ.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Yes, actually to have low-self esteem is not of God. There's a difference between high self esteem and pride.

*This isn't an exhaustive list, just some examples

Pride is thinking more of yourself than you really are. Thinking your an 8 when you're really a 5.
Pride is thinking that you are who you are because of something you've done for yourself.
Pride is looking at other people and thinking your better than them.
Pride is not allowing anyone, even God to help you fix your problems because you think you can do everything yourself.
Pride is thinking you're always right, and that your way is the best and only way people should do things.
Pride is saying what you want whenever you want because, "You're not gonna bite your tounge for nobody."
Pride is not doing what you know God is telling you to do because you don't want people to look at you the wrong way.

High self-esteem is, even though you know you're only a 5 you thank God for bringing you from a 3, and trust in Him to take you to a 10.
High self-esteem is knowing that you're no longer the foot of the world but you're now the head in Jesus Christ.
High self-esteem is knowing that you're a child of the King and worth being treated with respect and love.
High self-esteem is living life with an understanding that God has created you for greatness and because of Him you can do all things.
High self-esteem is knowing that though you're not where you wanna be, the Father still sees great worth in you, and you are still loved by Him.
High self-esteem is even though other people may think you're a loser, you know that you're a champion because of what Jesus Christ has said about you.

Yes, Christians should have high-self esteem. To have low self esteem means that you do not have an understand of who you are in Christ.
But do you think there's a difference in self-image, and self-esteem?

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 09:16 AM
But do you think there's a difference in self-image, and self-esteem?

Well, really they're the same thing. Your self-image is directly connected to whether you are a person of pride or someone who properly esteems themselves in the Lord. When you have an understanding of who you are as a child of God, your self-image is in Christ. If you can look at your life and the things that you've been able to do and the changes in your character and can't see that they're ALL because of Jesus Christ, then your self-image is wrong and pride will come in.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
I can dig it. I think I either heard or read the difference explained. I think it was a worthy comparison, so I'll look for it and then post it. Thanks for your explanation too, bro.

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
I would definitely say no.

- to regard highly or favorably; regard with respect or admiration: I esteem him for his honesty.
- favorable opinion or judgment; respect or regard: to hold a person in esteem.

None of that should be directed towards ourselves.

Our first instinct is to think "no self-esteem means no confidence and thats a bad thing therefore self-esteem is good" but that's secular psychology. We have another source of confidence.

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 09:45 AM
I would definitely say no.

None of that should be directed towards ourselves.

Our first instinct is to think "no self-esteem means no confidence and thats a bad thing therefore self-esteem is good" but that's secular psychology. We have another source of confidence.

I don't agree. The bible tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves." How can you love yourself, if you don't see yourself as "favorable, respectable, or admirable?" You can't. If you don't think you're "respectable", you won't expect anyone else to respect you either. How can you be a child of the God who owns everything, and not look at yourself as someone who has a "favorable" advantage in this world? If we shouldn't have high self-esteem what should we have? What do you call it?

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't agree. The bible tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves." How can you love yourself, if you don't see yourself as "favorable, respectable, or admirable?"
Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't think of that verse. I'll let that sink in for a while.

How can you be a child of the God who owns everything, and not look at yourself as someone who has a "favorable" advantage in this world?
I certainly have a great thing but 'self' isn't who should get the credit for it.

If we shouldn't have high self-esteem what should we have? What do you call it?
High esteem for the Lord.

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Ok cool. Check this out too.

What about when Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Ok cool. Check this out too.

What about when Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."
No, I don't really buy that one as being relevant here. The central message of that verse is Christ's attributes, not ours.

That's like inheriting money and then feeling pride in having earned it. You don't deserve any credit for making that money, your dead relative does.

Nahledge
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
No, I don't really buy that one as being relevant here. The central message of that verse is Christ's attributes, not ours.

That's like inheriting money and then feeling pride in having earned it. You don't deserve any credit for making that money, your dead relative does.

I tend to think it is relevant. Let say we change the words of that scripture for the sake of argument.

What if it said: "I am a wonderful person through Christ who made me wonderful." Feel me? That's my point of view, in regards to how a Christian should view themselves. That's what I think of when I hear "high self esteem."

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I tend to think it is relevant. Let say we change the words of that scripture for the sake of argument.

What if it said: "I am a wonderful person through Christ who made me wonderful." Feel me? That's my point of view, in regards to how a Christian should view themselves. That's what I think of when I hear "high self esteem."

OK, I hear ya. This kind of reminds me of the argument between infused righteousness vs. imputed righteousness. Are you familiar with those?

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 11:05 AM
when our worth is found in the LORD.....we will always have high self esteem, b/c we will see Him when we look at ourselves!

Enlighten
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Our Self worth should be in the Lord, God esteem is about being happy how God has made you to be I like this better because we dont allow it to be something we have to maintain for things of self we must up hold all we lift up to God we have Him sustaining it. :cool:

Peace

Nimaha
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Good post fam.. Keep it up!!!

Shock~Therapy
10-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Yes they should. Let me begin this post by stating that I have not read to other replies yet.

Let us first distinguish the difference between high self-esteem and being happy. Happiness is an emotional feeling which comes and goes as situations and scenarios dictacte whereas self-esteem is a more holistic view of oneself. We as christians should display joy (one of the 9 fruit of the spirit) which is not dictated by situation or circumstance but a permanent satisfaction of being one with God and having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

J Hoyt
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Maybe someone could get the dictionary definitions of self esteem, pride, and self-righteousness and compare them and break them down to see what the differences are. Any volounteers? I'm not sayin this to prove a point, I'd be interested in the results too.

TrueConvert
10-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe someone could get the dictionary definitions of self esteem, pride, and self-righteousness and compare them and break them down to see what the differences are. Any volounteers? I'm not sayin this to prove a point, I'd be interested in the results too.
don't forget self-image. :)

savedbygracealone
10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Great sermon by Piper on this... particularly the passage about loving others as you love yourself!
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/1995/911_Love_Your_Neighbor_As_Yourself_Part_1/
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/1995/912_Love_Your_Neighbor_As_Yourself_Part_2/
you can click on the "listen" link to listen, or read the trascript

here is an exerpt:

Self-Love: A Creation of God

Jesus says in effect: I start with your inborn, deep, defining human trait—your love for yourself. This is a given. I don't command it; I assume it. All of you have a powerful instinct of self-preservation and self-fulfillment. You all want to be happy. You all want to live and to live with satisfaction. You want food for yourself. You want clothes for yourself. You want a place to live for yourself. You want protection from violence against yourself. You want meaningful or pleasant activity to fill your days. You want some friends to like you and spend some time with you. You want your life to count in some way. All this is self-love. Self-love is the deep longing to diminish pain and to increase happiness. That's what Jesus starts with when he says, "as yourself."

Everyone, without exception, has this human trait. This is what moves us to do this or that. Even suicide is pursued out of this principle of self-love. In the midst of a feeling of utter meaningless and hopelessness and numbness of depression the soul says: "It can't get any worse than this. So even if I don't know what I will gain through death, I do know what I will escape." And so suicide is an attempt to escape the intolerable. It is an act of self-love.

Now Jesus says, I start with this self-love. This is what I know about you. This is common to all people. You don't have to learn it. It comes with your humanity. My Father created it. In and of itself it is good. To hunger for food is not evil. To want to be warm in the winter is not evil. To want to be safe in a crisis is not evil. To want to be healthy during a plague is not evil. To want to be liked by others is not evil. To want your life to count in some significant way is not evil. This was a defining human trait before the fall of man into sin, and it is not evil in itself.

savedbygracealone
10-25-2006, 10:18 AM
*bump*

anyone read/listen to the piper sermons?

savedbygracealone
10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
dang... no one??? *smh* you can lead a horse to water...

simplyG
10-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I dunnno...self esteem got size 16 wearin' size six--is that good?

naijagirl
10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Good question. I struggle with low self-esteem on a daily, and I can assure you there is no formula out of it (at least from my own experience). Yes, I know who I am in Jesus Christ, but when people are attacking every feature I have, how am I supposed to have a good "esteem" of myself? I'm not looking for an answer to this question, because I've asked it a lot, and it's the same answers over and over. Just me...

Poetik
10-25-2006, 06:24 PM
I am CONFIDENT and PROUD in who I am...

...but before we pitch stones, I'm going to explain what I meant. Without Jesus Christ, I HAVE NO IDENTITY. It was until I came to CHRIST that I was truly satisfied!!! So without CHRIST my high self esteem would be FAULTY!!!

Also, God made me who I am! He took his time to make me into a handsome young man. He gave me a brain to think...legs to walk with with...a mouth to taste...so on and so forth! Why can't I be happy with who GOD has made me to be!!!

But understand this, "WE SHOULD NOT THINK OF OURSELVES MORE HIGHLY THAN WE OUGHT TO THINK". If I'm beginning to marvel, and worship myself that's when it becomes a PROBLEM!

So again I am CONFIDENT and PROUD with who I am because of JESUS and JESUS alone. WITHOUT HIM THERE IS NO ME!!!

savedbygracealone
10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
neeci did u read/listen to the sermon by piper?

naijagirl
10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
neeci did u read/listen to the sermon by piper?
I read both parts. Thanks. He pretty much says that we should serve others. Somehow, out of that, our self-love isn't cancelled out, but transformed into God-love. :confused: I still don't get it.

I don't know, I think self-love and self-esteem are way different. I am going to Webster's for this.

naijagirl
10-25-2006, 06:54 PM
self-esteem
1 : a confidence and satisfaction in oneself : SELF-RESPECT
2 : SELF-CONCEIT

self-love
: love of self: a : CONCEIT b : regard for one's own happiness or advantage

self-image
: one's conception of oneself or of one's role

pride
1 : the quality or state of being proud: as a : inordinate self-esteem : CONCEIT b : a reasonable or justifiable self-respect c : delight or elation arising from some act, possession, or relationship <parental pride>
2 : proud or disdainful behavior or treatment : DISDAIN
3 a : ostentatious display b : highest pitch : PRIME
4 : a source of pride : the best in a group or class
5 : a company of lions
6 : a showy or impressive group <a pride of dancers>

self-righteousness
: convinced of one's own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic

There y'all go.

Knyce924
10-25-2006, 08:30 PM
So is it possible for a born-again Christian to have a low self-esteem?! This world isnt one of the brightest places. I get grieved over so much stuff sometimes.

Knyce924
10-25-2006, 10:11 PM
*bump*

anyone read/listen to the piper sermons?

Yea I listened to the J.Piper sermons, pretty good.