Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
  1. #41
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LUPE View Post
    Is it really Bible illiteracy? I think not. I contend that Christians if they're honest with themselves will admit that their faith is a made-to-order faith. They pick and choose what like and leave what they don't like...What I call "Ala Carte Christianity." I don't think it has any relation to what Jesus encountered. The people he preached to for the most part were in fact literally Biblically illiterate. Even the learned scholars stumbled at his message. No, what we're seeing is something different. What you call the whole counsel of God is a matter of much debate depending on which school of theological thought you talk to. I think believers are acting on what they believe and will embrace it to their benefit or misfortune. History and experience has borne out this fact throughout Church history.
    But there is a difference between the true and false gospel. We can't merely say that what everyone preaches is true. There are false teachers and there's no way around this. There are many warnings in the Bible of this and for very good reason. In fact at times Paul even called these false teachers out by name with tears day and night as many were being led astray.

    Now, not every disagreement in the church is heresy. Having a different opinion is not wrong, but when the opinion is divisive or maintained in defiance of clear biblical teaching, it becomes heretical. The apostles themselves disagreed at times (see Acts 15:36-41), and Peter once had to be rebuked for divisive and legalistic behavior. But, praise the Lord, through an attitude of humility and submission to the God of truth, the apostles worked through their disagreements and set an example for us.

    So to guard against heresy Philippians 2:2-3 is a good starting point: “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” As we submit ourselves to the authority of God’s Word and deal with one another in love and respect, divisions and heresies will be diminished.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Light Within For This Useful Post:

    LUPE (03-19-2018)

  3. #42
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    But there is a difference between the true and false gospel. We can't merely say that what everyone preaches is true. There are false teachers and there's no way around this. There are many warnings in the Bible of this and for very good reason. In fact at times Paul even called these false teachers out by name with tears day and night as many were being led astray.

    Now, not every disagreement in the church is heresy. Having a different opinion is not wrong, but when the opinion is divisive or maintained in defiance of clear biblical teaching, it becomes heretical. The apostles themselves disagreed at times (see Acts 15:36-41), and Peter once had to be rebuked for divisive and legalistic behavior. But, praise the Lord, through an attitude of humility and submission to the God of truth, the apostles worked through their disagreements and set an example for us.

    So to guard against heresy Philippians 2:2-3 is a good starting point: “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” As we submit ourselves to the authority of God’s Word and deal with one another in love and respect, divisions and heresies will be diminished.


    Where in the bible does it say we have our own opinion on what's true Gospel and Whats false Gospel?
    No one has given an actual legit bible scripture that says prosperity teaching is a sin and false Gospel.
    people are just hopping scotching around my question. where in the bible does it say it?
    Last edited by Tarii_2sweet; 03-19-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

    LUPE (03-19-2018)

  5. #43
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    But there is a difference between the true and false gospel. We can't merely say that what everyone preaches is true. There are false teachers and there's no way around this. There are many warnings in the Bible of this and for very good reason. In fact at times Paul even called these false teachers out by name with tears day and night as many were being led astray.

    Now, not every disagreement in the church is heresy. Having a different opinion is not wrong, but when the opinion is divisive or maintained in defiance of clear biblical teaching, it becomes heretical. The apostles themselves disagreed at times (see Acts 15:36-41), and Peter once had to be rebuked for divisive and legalistic behavior. But, praise the Lord, through an attitude of humility and submission to the God of truth, the apostles worked through their disagreements and set an example for us.

    So to guard against heresy Philippians 2:2-3 is a good starting point: “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” As we submit ourselves to the authority of God’s Word and deal with one another in love and respect, divisions and heresies will be diminished.
    The difference between the true Gospel and a false Gospel is very clear: The true Gospel is the one that saves and a false Gospel doesn't save. We're really not talking about the "true" and the "false" Gospel. Were talking about teachings held by Christians. Now the matter of Christians disagreeing on teachings and doctrine is part and parcel of Christendom. Some disagreements rise to the level of error depending on the school of theological thought that assert that and demonstrate that through clear teaching and exegesis. True enough the Apostles reconciled their disagreements and set an example of how that's possible. I'm not sure that when you speak against guarding against heresy that you're literally asserting that the prosperity message and teachings in all their expressions are "heresy." Again, I'll reiterate that my contention is that what we have active in the Church is what I call "Ala Carte Christianity." The variants of teachings can largely be accounted due to that.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-19-2018 at 01:27 AM.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  6. #44
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Where in the bible does it say we have our own opinion on what's true Gospel and Whats false Gospel?
    No one has given an actual legit bible scripture that says prosperity teaching is a sin and false Gospel.
    people are just hopping scotching around my question. where in the bible does it say it?
    All opinions aside, the true Gospel is the one that saves...The false Gospel doesn't. Prosperity teaching is just that a teaching within Christianity. It is a mischaracterization to attach "Gospel" to those teachings and all their variants.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  7. #45
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Where in the bible does it say we have our own opinion on what's true Gospel and Whats false Gospel?
    No one has given an actual legit bible scripture that says prosperity teaching is a sin and false Gospel.
    people are just hopping scotching around my question. where in the bible does it say it?
    In the prosperity gospel (which is really no gospel at all), the believer is told to use God, whereas the truth of biblical Christianity is just the opposite—God uses the believer. Prosperity theology sees the Holy Spirit as a power to be put to use for whatever the believer wills. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person who enables the believer to do God's will. The prosperity gospel movement closely resembles some of the destructive greed sects that infiltrated the early church. Paul and the other apostles were not accommodating to or conciliatory with the false teachers who propagated such heresy. They identified them as dangerous false teachers and urged Christians to avoid them. Paul warned Timothy about such men in 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-11. These men of “corrupt mind” supposed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction.” The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous path for Christians and one which God warns about: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” If riches were a reasonable goal for the godly, Jesus would have pursued it. But He did not, preferring instead to have no place to lay His head (as pointed out by Lupe) and teaching His disciples to do the same. It should also be remembered that the only disciple concerned with wealth was Judas. This is no way is implying that having wealth is a sin, as it's really the love of money that's the root of all evil, but we should really heed the warnings laid out for us in the Bible. There's really no way around it.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  8. #46
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LUPE View Post
    The difference between the true Gospel and a false Gospel is very clear: The true Gospel is the one that saves and a false Gospel doesn't save. We're really not talking about the "true" and the "false" Gospel. Were talking about teachings held by Christians. Now the matter of Christians disagreeing on teachings and doctrine is part and parcel of Christendom. Some disagreements rise to the level of error depending on the school of theological thought that assert that and demonstrate that through clear teaching and exegesis. True enough the Apostles reconciled their disagreements and set an example of how that's possible. I'm not sure that when you speak against guarding against heresy that you're literally asserting that the prosperity message and teachings in all their expressions are "heresy." Again, I'll reiterate that my contention is that what we have active in the Church is what I call "Ala Carte Christianity." The variants of teachings can largely be accounted due to that.
    And there are many false teachings within Christianity that we are warned to stay away from. Satan has been confusing and perverting the Word of God since the Garden of Eden. False teachers, the servants of Satan, try to appear as servants of righteousness, but they will be known by their fruits. A charlatan promoting false doctrine will show signs of pride, greed, and rebellion and will often promote or engage in sexual immorality (Jude 1:11 comes to mind here). We are wise to recognize how vulnerable we are to heresy and make it our habit to do as the Bereans did in Acts 17:11: “they . . . examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  9. #47
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    In the prosperity gospel (which is really no gospel at all), the believer is told to use God, whereas the truth of biblical Christianity is just the opposite—God uses the believer. Prosperity theology sees the Holy Spirit as a power to be put to use for whatever the believer wills. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is a Person who enables the believer to do God's will. The prosperity gospel movement closely resembles some of the destructive greed sects that infiltrated the early church. Paul and the other apostles were not accommodating to or conciliatory with the false teachers who propagated such heresy. They identified them as dangerous false teachers and urged Christians to avoid them. Paul warned Timothy about such men in 1 Timothy 6:5, 9-11. These men of “corrupt mind” supposed godliness was a means of gain and their desire for riches was a trap that brought them “into ruin and destruction.” The pursuit of wealth is a dangerous path for Christians and one which God warns about: “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” If riches were a reasonable goal for the godly, Jesus would have pursued it. But He did not, preferring instead to have no place to lay His head (as pointed out by Lupe) and teaching His disciples to do the same. It should also be remembered that the only disciple concerned with wealth was Judas. This is no way is implying that having wealth is a sin, as it's really the love of money that's the root of all evil, but we should really heed the warnings laid out for us in the Bible. There's really no way around it.
    To have money is not evil. The Love of money is. We all need money to survive especially in this enocomny. So your point is revoked. To prosper. There is nothing wrong with trusting God for more.
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  10. #48
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    To have money is not evil. The Love of money is. We all need money to survive especially in this enocomny. So your point is revoked. To prosper. There is nothing wrong with trusting God for more.
    Instead of stressing the importance of wealth, the Bible warns against pursuing it. Believers, especially leaders in the church, are to be free from the love of money. The love of money leads to all kinds of evil. Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). In sharp contrast to the emphasis on gaining money and possessions in this life, Jesus said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). The irreconcilable contradictions between prosperity teaching and the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is best summed up in the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:24, “You cannot serve both God and money.”

    So, to have money is not evil, no, and this has already been pointed out a few times. My points are not revoked as they are rooted and grounded in scripture. You asked for scripture and you got it. You however, do not bring any scripture to the conversation. Itchy ears are the in thing these days. If you follow these misguided teachers, you do so to your own detriment.
    Last edited by The Light Within; 03-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  11. #49
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    And there are many false teachings within Christianity that we are warned to stay away from. Satan has been confusing and perverting the Word of God since the Garden of Eden. False teachers, the servants of Satan, try to appear as servants of righteousness, but they will be known by their fruits. A charlatan promoting false doctrine will show signs of pride, greed, and rebellion and will often promote or engage in sexual immorality (Jude 1:11 comes to mind here). We are wise to recognize how vulnerable we are to heresy and make it our habit to do as the Bereans did in Acts 17:11: “they . . . examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.”
    The claim of false teachers is one that is thrown around with some regularity in the Church. If one examines every claim of false teaching within Christendom we'll soon realize some are valid and others aren't. False teaching (error) and heresy though are not the same. Heresy is a damnable thing while false teaching can arise without nefarious motives. Every denomination at one time or another has been accused of promoting false teaching and its leaders and ministers excoriated for it. This is an inescapable fact. With regard to the prosperity message movement in all its expressions, there may be some who are truly charlatans simply using it to get rich through establishing large ministries that serve as a vehicle to amass large mailing lists and partners that they can then count on to provide financial support which is then misused and siphoned off. I think this has been abundantly demonstrated. I would caution you to refrain from crying wolf at every manifestation of the prosperity message though. Some caution is well deserved in some instances but not in all.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-19-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  12. #50
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    To have money is not evil. The Love of money is. We all need money to survive especially in this enocomny. So your point is revoked. To prosper. There is nothing wrong with trusting God for more.
    Your point is well taken. It isn't evil to pursue prosperity. You correctly point out that the love of money is the root of all evil. The prosperity message doesn't promote the love of money over ones' love for God. Jesus' admonition that believers can't serve God and mammon simply means that believers shouldn't love money over God. Avarice is wrong and sinful. Mammon is neutral. It's simply an instrument of exchange. God's will is that we as believers prosper. This prosperity can take different forms. It is not exclusive to financial prosperity.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

    Tarii_2sweet (03-20-2018)

  14. #51
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    Instead of stressing the importance of wealth, the Bible warns against pursuing it. Believers, especially leaders in the church, are to be free from the love of money. The love of money leads to all kinds of evil. Jesus warned, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15). In sharp contrast to the emphasis on gaining money and possessions in this life, Jesus said, “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal” (Matthew 6:19). The irreconcilable contradictions between prosperity teaching and the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ is best summed up in the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:24, “You cannot serve both God and money.”

    So, to have money is not evil, no, and this has already been pointed out a few times. My points are not revoked as they are rooted and grounded in scripture. You asked for scripture and you got it. You however, do not bring any scripture to the conversation. Itchy ears are the in thing these days. If you follow these misguided teachers, you do so to your own detriment.

    Sorry Light, well I see you be on here talking TV's and Ablums how is that any different and cars too. You and Lupe the love of money smh..
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  15. #52
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Sorry Light, well I see you be on here talking TV's and Ablums how is that any different and cars too. You and Lupe the love of money smh..
    ..............................................
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  16. #53
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    ..............................................
    Lmbo I'm playing geez your very serious aren't you lol
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  17. #54
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    I have scriptures but I'm on my tablet right now. I'm about to break it down for you buddy!!
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  18. #55
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    I have scriptures but I'm on my tablet right now. I'm about to break it down for you buddy!!
    Please please please don't post one scripture here and there and use it out of context, or be prepared for a long drawn out exegesis.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  19. #56
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    Please please please don't post one scripture here and there and use it out of context, or be prepared for a long drawn out exegesis.
    Umm
    Huh
    There's no such thing is out of context scriptures.
    Last edited by Tarii_2sweet; 03-20-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

    LUPE (03-20-2018)

  21. #57
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,620
    Thanks
    906
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Umm
    Huh
    There's no such thing is out of context scriptures.
    You better believe there is! It's important to study Bible passages and stories within their context. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning). Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding.
    Last edited by The Light Within; 03-20-2018 at 03:17 PM.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / — Datin

  22. #58
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    You better believe there is! It's important to study Bible passages and stories within their context. Understanding context begins with four principles: literal meaning (what it says), historical setting (the events of the story, to whom is it addressed, and how it was understood at that time), grammar (the immediate sentence and paragraph within which a word or phrase is found) and synthesis (comparing it with other parts of Scripture for a fuller meaning). Taking verses out of context leads to all kinds of error and misunderstanding.
    Light you clearly misunderstood what she said. It would serve you well to employ the same hermeneutical approach you employ to scripts to what she said to clearly arrive at her meaning which eluded you. She clearly meant that Biblical scripts are inerrant. Biblical inerrancy is the thrust of her point.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-21-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

    Tarii_2sweet (03-20-2018)

  24. #59
    HCR Ole' Head LUPE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,848
    Thanks
    3,077
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Umm
    Huh
    There's no such thing is out of context scriptures.
    I know what you mean...You're saying the scripts are inerrant (correct) and thus have no mistakes. You weren't talking about how people misinterpret scripts.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-20-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

    Tarii_2sweet (03-20-2018)

  26. #60
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,308
    Thanks
    544
    Thanked 562 Times in 475 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LUPE View Post
    I know what you mean...You're saying the scripts are inerrant (correct) and thus have no mistakes. You weren't talking about how people misinterpret scripts.
    And I have a scripture!!!

    Timothy 3:16
    “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:”
    No man has great enough memory to be a successful Liar.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

    LUPE (03-22-2018)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •