Widgets Magazine
    HCR Veterano
    Thanks

Default Blacks Leaving White Churches 2018

FORT WORTH — Charmaine Pruitt wrote the names of 12 churches on a sheet of paper, tore the paper into 12 strips, and dropped them into a Ziploc bag. It was Sunday morning and time to pick which church to attend.

This time of the week two years earlier, there would have been no question. Ms. Pruitt, 46, would have been getting ready for her regular Saturday afternoon worship service, at a former grocery store overhauled into a state-of-the-art, 760-seat sanctuary. In the darkened hall, where it would have been hard to tell she was one of the few black people in the room, she would have listened to the soaring anthems of the praise bands. She would have watched, on three giant screens, a sermon that over the course of a weekend would reach one of the largest congregations in the country.

But Ms. Pruitt has not been to that church since the fall of 2016. That was when she concluded that it was not, ultimately, meant for people like her. She has not been to any church regularly since.

the last couple of decades, there had been signs, however modest, that eleven o’clock on Sunday morning might cease to be the most segregated hour in America. “Racial reconciliation” was the talk of conferences and the subject of formal resolutions. Large Christian ministries were dedicated to the aim of integration, and many black Christians decided to join white-majority congregations. Some went as missionaries, called by God to integrate. Others were simply drawn to a different worship style — short, conveniently timed services that emphasized a personal connection to God.

The fruits could be seen if you looked in the right places, particularly within the kind of nondenominational megachurches that gleam from the roadsides here in the sprawl of Dallas-Fort Worth. In 2012, according to a report from the National Congregation Study, more than two-thirds of those attending white-majority churches were worshiping alongside at least some black congregants, a notable increase since a similar survey in 1998. This was more likely to be the case in evangelical churches than in mainline Protestant churches, and more likely in larger ones than in smaller ones.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0...m.facebook.com
    Last edited by Tarii_2sweet; 03-11-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,339 Posts

Thank God that in Heaven there won't be any segregation. We'll all be one in Christ. The truth of the matter is we're all one in Christ right now. The Church is the Body of Christ, not a physical building or a religious stripe. If there is segregation in so-called Churches I don't really care. I doesn't mean a thing.

As far as injustice and racism is concerned, The Church: Every Believer in Christ has the responsibility to practice righteousness and expose racism and injustice wherever it rears its ugly head. Sometimes redressing institutional racism will involve the political process and activism. This is where the rub comes in for Christians given that Believers are not monolithic politically. This tension is where much of the consternation arises from. Are the solutions and remedies to institutional racism and injustice to be too conservative or too liberal for our liking? Just as Christians disagree on Biblical doctrine it's no surprise that they differ on the political solutions and legal remedies to institutional racism and injustice. I'm afraid that a consensus on this will not come in the world. There's too much division and old scores to settle. Justice will not be had short of a revolution and starting all over again.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

Tarii_2sweet (03-12-2018)

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUPE View Post
    Thank God that in Heaven there won't be any segregation. We'll all be one in Christ. The truth of the matter is we're all one in Christ right now. The Church is the Body of Christ, not a physical building or a religious stripe. If there is segregation in so-called Churches I don't really care. I doesn't mean a thing.

As far as injustice and racism is concerned, The Church: Every Believer in Christ has the responsibility to practice righteousness and expose racism and injustice wherever it rears its ugly head. Sometimes redressing institutional racism will involve the political process and activism. This is where the rub comes in for Christians given that Believers are not monolithic politically. This tension is where much of the consternation arises from. Are the solutions and remedies to institutional racism and injustice to be too conservative or too liberal for our liking? Just as Christians disagree on Biblical doctrine it's no surprise that they differ on the political solutions and legal remedies to institutional racism and injustice. I'm afraid that a consensus on this will not come in the world. There's too much division and old scores to settle. Justice will not be had short of a revolution and starting all over again.
    Not just politically two groups of people two different backgrounds coming together and fellowship on Sundays can be difficult. If a pastor has a mix church there has to be some sort ofcompremise. Some sort of structure and restrictions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

LUPE (03-12-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    Not just politically two groups of people two different backgrounds coming together and fellowship on Sundays can be difficult. If a pastor has a mix church there has to be some sort ofcompremise. Some sort of structure and restrictions.
    It's not easy pleasing everyone in a mixed church. I think mixed churches will continue to thrive, they're the future. There's no going back.
    Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of GOD! Daughter of GOD! Who is Jesus? GOD! Who are you? Son of God! Daughter of GOD!

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

It's not easy pleasing everyone in a mixed church. I think mixed churches will continue to thrive, they're the future. There's no going back.
    yes it not but with all the churches I have been to in the past I never seen a mix congregation that's pastored by a black man. There is not whites that go to a majority black church like a black people go to a white majority church that is pastored by a white man. I know black pastors that are PRAYING for whites to attend their churches and sing in their choirs on Sunday's and when they get that one are maybe two they will strive and kiss their butts to them there. We would even as far as to preach on racism towards whites to make them feel comfortable at our churches.

Thanks

yes it not but with all the churches I have been to in the past I never seen a mix congregation that's pastored by a black man. There is not whites that go to a majority black church like a black people go to a white majority church that is pastored by a white man. I know black pastors that are PRAYING for whites to attend their churches and sing in their choirs on Sunday's and when they get that one are maybe two they will strive and kiss their butts to them there. We would even as far as to preach on racism towards whites to make them feel comfortable at our churches.
    Black pastors leading mixed churches are few and far between. I hear you about bending over backwards by black congregations to keep those few whites that worship there. It is what it is. It's kinda pathetic that they would even preach on racism toward whites: (reverse racism) to make them comfortable at their churches. Incredible.

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

Black pastors leading mixed churches are few and far between. I hear you about bending over backwards by black congregations to keep those few whites that worship there. It is what it is. It's kinda pathetic that they would even preach on racism toward whites: (reverse racism) to make them comfortable at their churches. Incredible.
    Except for Voddie Baucham but he's reformed and republican he's somewhere in Africa now.

Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,798 Posts

Except for Voddie Baucham but he's reformed and republican he's somewhere in Africa now.
    Where is this guy now? Sign me up as a candidate to attend his church.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / Datin

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

He's in Africa LoL

Thanks

I don't follow Calvinist preachers. I've heard his name here on HCR though. I don't hold to Calvinist dogma.
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-13-2018 at 11:41 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

Tarii_2sweet (03-13-2018)

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

I don't follow Calvinist preachers. I've heard him name here on HCR though. I don't hold to Calvinist dogma.
    I don't neither but I do want to know why you called it dogma?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

LUPE (03-13-2018)

Thanks

I don't neither but I do want to know why you called it dogma?
    I use the word dogma to signify that Calvinists' (belief system: systematic theology) is based on their theological interpretation of scripture. Their dogma (belief system) is what I don't hold to...In other words I don't interpret scripture the same way they do... I'm a tongue talking-divine healing-word of knowledge-spiritual gifts-walking in the spirit-divine nature partaker. lol
    Last edited by LUPE; 03-13-2018 at 11:39 PM.

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

I use the word dogma to signify that Calvinists' (belief system: systematic theology) is based on their theological interpretation of scripture. Their dogma (belief system) is what I don't hold to...In other words I don't interpret scripture the same way they do... I'm a tongue talking-divine healing-word of knowledge-spiritual gifts-walking in the spirit-divine nature partaker. lol
    It's kinda creepy the hate that they have for charamstic church you become who you follow. That's why I follow christ.

Thanks

It's kinda creepy the hate that they have for charamstic church you become who you follow. That's why I follow christ.
    It's a form of contempt some Calvinists have toward those in Charismatic Churches. It all derives from Calvinist dogma for sure and it isn't lost on Charismatics what motivates them. It is what it is.

Thread Information