Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,332 Posts

Default Major son of obedience now

Austin Bentley's exposition is a rejection of the sin nature in the believer writ large.

"Christians practice righteousness because it's their Divine Nature to do so."

Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,623 Times in 1,793 Posts

As human beings we are bound under Adam’s nature in this world. No matter how hard we try not to, we will still sin against God. This holds true for everyone. The apostle Paul rebuked Peter for showing favoritism. Late in his ministry, Paul calls himself the chief of sinners. Peter, James, John, and Paul all admitted that they were imperfect. How could you or I claim anything different? You see, we don’t lose our sin nature once we receive Christ. The Bible says that sin remains in us and that a struggle with that old nature will continue as long as we are in this world. Paul bemoaned his own personal struggle in Romans 7:15–25. But (and there's great news here) we have help in the battle—divine help! The Spirit of God takes up residence in each believer and supplies the power we need to overcome the pull of the sin nature within us.

Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God (1 John 3-10).

So the all important question is: are we walking after the Spirit, or the flesh?
    Last edited by The Light Within; 12-20-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / Datin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    As human beings we are bound under Adam’s nature in this world. No matter how hard we try not to, we will still sin against God. This holds true for everyone. The apostle Paul rebuked Peter for showing favoritism. Late in his ministry, Paul calls himself the chief of sinners. Peter, James, John, and Paul all admitted that they were imperfect. How could you or I claim anything different? You see, we don’t lose our sin nature once we receive Christ. The Bible says that sin remains in us and that a struggle with that old nature will continue as long as we are in this world. Paul bemoaned his own personal struggle in Romans 7:15–25. But (and there's great news here) we have help in the battle—divine help! The Spirit of God takes up residence in each believer and supplies the power we need to overcome the pull of the sin nature within us.

Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God (1 John 3-10).

So the all important question is: are we walking after the Spirit, or the flesh?
    Austin would reject your interpretation of scripture. He would explain to you in detail why you're interpretation is error. It would be nice if Austin could address your position on this subject on this board. The last time he tried to become a member of this board he was hindered from posting responses. Maybe the mods then were scared to let him expound on this important Biblical doctrinal disagreement. I can't say. If you can promise me that Austin is welcome to respond to your interpretation of scripture by becoming a member of this board then I'll pass the word along to him to entertain the notion of coming back and trying to become a member.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUPE View Post
    Austin would reject your interpretation of scripture. He would explain to you in detail why you're interpretation is error. It would be nice if Austin could address your position on this subject on this board. The last time he tried to become a member of this board he was hindered from posting responses. Maybe the mods then were scared to let him expound on this important Biblical doctrinal disagreement. I can't say. If you can promise me that Austin is welcome to respond to your interpretation of scripture by becoming a member of this board then I'll pass the word along to him to entertain the notion of coming back and trying to become a member.
    Sure, he is more than welcome to. There's no issues on my end. Just a quick question though, why is it that you remind me of Austin? Just a straight out question, are you Austin by any chance?
    The Bible said for Jesus we're ambassadors / So it's time to rip off this muzzle of fear and passiveness / Datin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Light Within For This Useful Post:

LUPE (12-20-2017)

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

The mods are a joke London is crae crae
    Underdog nonexistent
    TRIG doesn't give a rats Furr.
    Bring him here.
    Last edited by Tarii_2sweet; 12-20-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: k

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

LUPE (12-20-2017)

Thanks

Sure, he is more than welcome to. There's no issues on my end. Just a quick question though, why is it that you remind me of Austin? Just a straight out question, are you Austin by any chance?
    No I'm not Austin. He's a dear brother in Christ. Why do you say I'm like Austin? Both of us are good looking. maybe that why? lol

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lupe View Post
    no i'm not austin. He's a dear brother in christ. Why do you say i'm like austin? Both of us are good looking. Maybe that why? Lol
    lmao!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tarii_2sweet For This Useful Post:

LUPE (12-20-2017)

Thanks

No I'm not Austin. He's a dear brother in Christ. Why do you say I'm like Austin? Both of us are good looking. maybe that why? lol
    Well that settles that. You just reminded me of the way he talks sometimes. Okay, but seriously now, after pondering on this for awhile there's much to consider. The commands of God and the demands of Scripture upon our lives are encompassing; it strains credulity for any believer to claim that they are living in perfect obedience to all that God has said. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37) and that the second is similar: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:38). It is one thing for a believer to say that there is no known area of rebellion against God in his or her life, but it is quite another to say that he or she loves God wholly and perfectly. It is one thing to say that a believer does not harbor any hatred for his neighbor, but quite another to assert that the believer loves their neighbors the way they love themselves. First Thessalonians 1:17 commands believers to “pray without ceasing.” A believer may have a robust prayer life, but can any believer in all honesty claim to fully obey this command? Most believers find that, when they are convicted of one area of sin and repent of it, they will then become aware of another area that they may not have been aware of before. If a Christian has come to the place where they simply cannot identify any areas of sinfulness in their own life, they should not assume they have attained entire sanctification. Rather, they would be well advised to ask their spouse or other close friends or relatives for their perspective. They just might be surprised at how blinded they have become to areas of sinfulness in thier own life that are readily evident to others.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Light Within For This Useful Post:

LUPE (12-20-2017)

Thanks

Well that settles that. You just reminded me of the way he talks sometimes. Okay, but seriously now, after pondering on this for awhile there's much to consider. The commands of God and the demands of Scripture upon our lives are encompassing; it strains credulity for any believer to claim that they are living in perfect obedience to all that God has said. Jesus said that the greatest commandment is “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind” (Matthew 22:37) and that the second is similar: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:38). It is one thing for a believer to say that there is no known area of rebellion against God in his or her life, but it is quite another to say that he or she loves God wholly and perfectly. It is one thing to say that a believer does not harbor any hatred for his neighbor, but quite another to assert that the believer loves their neighbors the way they love themselves. First Thessalonians 1:17 commands believers to “pray without ceasing.” A believer may have a robust prayer life, but can any believer in all honesty claim to fully obey this command? Most believers find that, when they are convicted of one area of sin and repent of it, they will then become aware of another area that they may not have been aware of before. If a Christian has come to the place where they simply cannot identify any areas of sinfulness in their own life, they should not assume they have attained entire sanctification. Rather, they would be well advised to ask their spouse or other close friends or relatives for their perspective. They just might be surprised at how blinded they have become to areas of sinfulness in thier own life that are readily evident to others.
    I would say to you that it is very possible to love God perfectly at all times in one's life after becoming a Christian. In other words, to walk in the spirit and in the love that has been shed abroad in our hearts toward God and his fellow man. It is a truthful saying that a Christian can walk in the spirit continually. It's up to him. But it isn't possible to walk in the Spirit continually and be of the mind that he has a sin nature abiding within. That's where you and Austin see the Christian walk in a totally different light. He is always diligent to keep his mind on Christ and to guard his heart from the lies of the enemy and from the sins that inhabit the world. He sees all sin as existing outside of the Christian. In other words, internally (spiritually) he sees himself as a new creation and a partaker of the divine nature in Christ. He will not entertain thoughts that run contrary to the mind of Christ. He will cast down any thought that exalts itself above the knowledge of Christ. Austin is very deft at that. For Austin there is no temptation. He walks in the Spirit continually. He teaches other to do likewise.

Last edited by LUPE; 12-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

That's not the image I have in mind. he's looks real young. LUPE you are older right?

Thanks

I would say to you that it is very possible to love God perfectly at all times in one's life after becoming a Christian. In other words, to walk in the spirit and in the love that has been shed abroad in our hearts toward God and his fellow man. It is a truthful saying that a Christian can walk in the spirit continually. It's up to him. But it isn't possible to walk in the Spirit continually and be of the mind that he has a sin nature abiding within. That's where you and Austin see the Christian walk in a totally different light. He is always diligent to keep his mind on Christ and to guard his heart from the lies of the enemy and from the sins that inhabit the world. He sees all sin as existing outside of the Christian. In other words, internally (spiritually) he sees himself as a new creation and a partaker of the divine nature in Christ. He will not entertain thoughts that run contrary to the mind of Christ. He will cast down any thought that exalts itself above the knowledge of Christ. Austin is very deft at that. For Austin there is no temptation. He walks in the Spirit continually. He teaches other to do likewise.
    Then Austin does not believe in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Even Jesus was tempted. So to say Austin is never tempted would be a lie. Every single human being in this world has been, is, and will be tempted. What we do with that temptation is another issue.

“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8–9). It is clear from this passage that even those who have been born again and redeemed by the blood of Jesus will still sin. It will not however be habitual and it will not be a lifestyle.

Austin is not perfect, you LUPE are not perfect, nor am I, but striving for holiness is where we as believers should all be seeking. Also, false teaching should clearly be avoided.
    Last edited by The Light Within; 12-20-2017 at 08:18 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Light Within For This Useful Post:

Tarii_2sweet (12-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    That's not the image I have in mind. he's looks real young. LUPE you are older right?
    Yeah I'm older. Austin calls himself: The Little Boy for Jesus.

Thanks

Then Austin does not believe in the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Even Jesus was tempted. So to say Austin is never tempted would be a lie. Every single human being in this world has been, is, and will be tempted. What we do with that temptation is another issue.

“If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8–9). It is clear from this passage that even those who have been born again and redeemed by the blood of Jesus will still sin. It will not however be habitual and it will not be a lifestyle.

Austin is not perfect, you LUPE are not perfect, nor am I, but striving for holiness is where we as believers should all be seeking. Also, false teaching should clearly be avoided.
    Austin is well aware of your interpretation of (1 John 1:8-9). He used to believe that and teach that. Clearly he rejects that interpretation now. Your interpretation is what is commonly called the "Christian bar of soap." Austin walks in the Spirit continually. He doesn't strive for holiness as he has already apprehended it in Christ. He sees himself as perfect in Christ and complete in him lacking nothing. He sees himself fully prepared in Christ unto every good work. He sees his identity in Christ and he keeps his mind on Christ. He will not entertain any thought that exalts itself above the knowledge of God but will instead cast it down. He lives the victorious life found in Christ. He sees that as true Christianity. He is not double-minded or confused about anything touching on his identity in Christ. He rejects your interpretation of Christians having a sin nature. He affirms that he has been made a partaker of the divine nature in Christ. It is out of that nature that he lives out his walk in Christ...In other words, he walks in the Spirit continually and teaches others to do likewise. I agree with him and likewise walk in the Spirit continually. You should try it out sometime. It'll change your life. But once use start to walk in the Spirit don't stop. Stay in the Spirit. God bless you. Peace.
    Last edited by LUPE; 12-21-2017 at 02:35 AM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LUPE For This Useful Post:

Tarii_2sweet (12-24-2017)

Thanks

Austin is well aware of your interpretation of (1 John 1:8-9). He used to believe that and teach that. Clearly he rejects that interpretation now. Your interpretation is what is commonly called the "Christian bar of soap." Austin walks in the Spirit continually. He doesn't strive for holiness as he has already apprehended it in Christ. He sees himself as perfect in Christ and complete in him lacking nothing. He sees himself fully prepared in Christ unto every good work. He sees his identity in Christ and he keeps his mind on Christ. He will not entertain any thought that exalts itself above the knowledge of God but will instead cast it down. He lives the victorious life found in Christ. He sees that as true Christianity. He is not double-minded or confused about anything touching on his identity in Christ. He rejects your interpretation of Christians having a sin nature. He affirms that he has been made a partaker of the divine nature in Christ. It is out of that nature that he lives out his walk in Christ...In other words, he walks in the Spirit continually and teaches others to do likewise. I agree with him and likewise walk in the Spirit continually. You should try it out sometime. It'll change your life. But once use start to walk in the Spirit don't stop. Stay in the Spirit. God bless you. Peace.
    Man, smugness and pride have a way of creeping in. This sinless perfectionism is a flat out heresy. I'm very careful not to call something for what it truly is, but this false teaching is straight lies. The gospel I have reiterated is not simply my interpretation nor is it something I've made up. It's the true gospel. The devil has deceived people in many ways and with many false doctrines, and the heresy of sinlessness in the flesh is one of them.

Can any Christian say that his heart is perfect and that he never falters? That he never looks upon a woman with impure thoughts? That he loves the Lord God with all of his heart, and that he loves his neighbor as himself, all with a perfect state of mind? The standard is absolute purity. None of us can claim that.

The person who claims any perfection except that perfection which we have in Christ and the new nature, is a hypocrite. They are not sinless in the flesh and are simply lying if they say they are. They are exactly like the Pharisees of old who thought that they, too, were sinless in the flesh.

Watch out for that pride...it will get you every time. This isn't a matter of interpretation, but a matter of truth and lies. You my friend, as well as Austin, are preaching lies. This is no small or trivial matter.
    Last edited by The Light Within; 12-21-2017 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks

Man, smugness and pride have a way of creeping in. This sinless perfectionism is a flat out heresy. I'm very careful not to call something for what it truly is, but this false teaching is straight lies. The gospel I have reiterated is not simply my interpretation nor is it something I've made up. It's the true gospel. The devil has deceived people in many ways and with many false doctrines, and the heresy of sinlessness in the flesh is one of them.

Can any Christian say that his heart is perfect and that he never falters? That he never looks upon a woman with impure thoughts? That he loves the Lord God with all of his heart, and that he loves his neighbor as himself, all with a perfect state of mind? The standard is absolute purity. None of us can claim that.

The person who claims any perfection except that perfection which we have in Christ and the new nature, is a hypocrite. They are not sinless in the flesh and are simply lying if they say they are. They are exactly like the Pharisees of old who thought that they, too, were sinless in the flesh.

Watch out for that pride...it will get you every time. This isn't a matter of interpretation, but a matter of truth and lies. You my friend, as well as Austin, are preaching lies. This is no small or trivial matter.
    Respectfully, we are not teaching lies. You have a different interpretation than we do. Our walk in Christ is one of victory. Our boast is in Christ. Our pride is in Christ. We glory is his glory. We worship him and only him. We fellowship with him in the divine nature. Our minds are on him only and we cast down those things that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. This is what we regard as true Christianity and what we are called to. God Bless you. Peace.
    Last edited by LUPE; 12-21-2017 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks

Respectfully, we are not teaching lies. You have a different interpretation than we do. Our walk in Christ is one of victory. Our boast is in Christ. Our pride is in Christ. We glory is his glory. We worship him and only him. We fellowship with him in the divine nature. Our minds are on him only and we cast down those things that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. This is what we regard as true Christianity and what we are called to. God Bless you. Peace.
    Lupe, the important thing is to be dogmatic where Scripture is and to avoid being dogmatic where Scripture is not. I can see how you have come to the conclusion of sinless perfection in this life, but it's still a false teaching. No matter how much you try to defend, it's still heresy. The apostle Peter warns against those who misinterpret the Scriptures. He attributes their illegitimate teachings in part to the fact that they are ignorant. Timothy is told to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). There is no shortcut to proper biblical interpretation; we are constrained to study.

Much error has been promoted because of a simple failure to apply good hermeneutics (the science of interpreting Scripture). Taking a verse out of its immediate context can do great damage to the intent of the verse. Ignoring the wider context of the chapter and book, or failing to understand the historical/cultural context will also lead to problems.

Remember Apollos? Well, he was a powerful and eloquent preacher, but he only knew the baptism of John. He was ignorant of Jesus and His provision of salvation, so his message was incomplete. Aquila and Priscilla took him aside and explained to him the way of God more adequately. After that, Apollos preached Jesus Christ. Some groups and individuals today have an incomplete message because they concentrate on certain passages to the exclusion of others. They fail to compare Scripture with Scripture.

And now we come to what you call “your interpretation.” Sad to say, many interpretations of the Bible are based on an individual’s own personal biases and pet doctrines. Some people see an opportunity for personal advancement by promoting a “new perspective” on Scripture. (please check out the description of false teachers in Jude’s epistle.)

Some churches claim to believe the Bible, but their interpretation is always filtered through the established traditions of their church. Where tradition and the teaching of the Bible are in conflict, tradition is given precedence. This effectively negates the authority of the Word and grants supremacy to the church leadership.

Churches should strive to follow the model of the early church in Jerusalem: “They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). There was unity in the early church because they were steadfast in the apostles’ doctrine. There will be unity in the church again when we get back to the apostles’ doctrine and forego the other doctrines, fads, and gimmicks that have crept into the church.

Thanks

Lupe, the important thing is to be dogmatic where Scripture is and to avoid being dogmatic where Scripture is not. I can see how you have come to the conclusion of sinless perfection in this life, but it's still a false teaching. No matter how much you try to defend, it's still heresy. The apostle Peter warns against those who misinterpret the Scriptures. He attributes their illegitimate teachings in part to the fact that they are ignorant. Timothy is told to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). There is no shortcut to proper biblical interpretation; we are constrained to study.

Much error has been promoted because of a simple failure to apply good hermeneutics (the science of interpreting Scripture). Taking a verse out of its immediate context can do great damage to the intent of the verse. Ignoring the wider context of the chapter and book, or failing to understand the historical/cultural context will also lead to problems.

Remember Apollos? Well, he was a powerful and eloquent preacher, but he only knew the baptism of John. He was ignorant of Jesus and His provision of salvation, so his message was incomplete. Aquila and Priscilla took him aside and explained to him the way of God more adequately. After that, Apollos preached Jesus Christ. Some groups and individuals today have an incomplete message because they concentrate on certain passages to the exclusion of others. They fail to compare Scripture with Scripture.

And now we come to what you call “your interpretation.” Sad to say, many interpretations of the Bible are based on an individual’s own personal biases and pet doctrines. Some people see an opportunity for personal advancement by promoting a “new perspective” on Scripture. (please check out the description of false teachers in Jude’s epistle.)

Some churches claim to believe the Bible, but their interpretation is always filtered through the established traditions of their church. Where tradition and the teaching of the Bible are in conflict, tradition is given precedence. This effectively negates the authority of the Word and grants supremacy to the church leadership.

Churches should strive to follow the model of the early church in Jerusalem: “They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). There was unity in the early church because they were steadfast in the apostles’ doctrine. There will be unity in the church again when we get back to the apostles’ doctrine and forego the other doctrines, fads, and gimmicks that have crept into the church.
    We're not talking about sinless perfection. We're rejecting the teaching that a believer has a sin nature. We're affirming that a believer has partaken of the divine nature in Christ as a new creation. We're further affirming that a believer can walk in the Spirit continually. We do that everyday. It is not complicated.

Let me ask you some simple questions if I may: Are you walking in the Spirit right now? If you're not then why aren't you? If you're walking in the Spirit right now then how long do you intend to continue walking in the Spirit? Will you continue walking in the Spirit all day? Or do you intend to stop walking in the Spirit at some point today? If you intend to stop walking in the Spirit today I submit to you that there is no reason you have to stop walking in the Spirit all day...Let me be very clear, there is nothing that can prevent you from walking in the Spirit all day today, and tomorrow and the next day. And all week. And all month. You get the point.
    Last edited by LUPE; 12-21-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks

We're not talking about sinless perfection. We're rejecting the teaching that a believer has a sin nature. We're affirming that a believer has partaken of the divine nature in Christ as a new creation. We're further affirming that a believer can walk in the Spirit continually. We do that everyday. It is not complicated.

Let me ask you some simple questions if I may: Are you walking in the Spirit right now? If you're not then why aren't you? If you're walking in the Spirit right now then how long do you intend to continue walking in the Spirit? Will you continue walking in the Spirit all day? Or do you intend to stop walking in the Spirit at some point today? If you intend to stop walking in the Spirit today I submit to you that there is no reason you have to stop walking in the Spirit all day...Let me be very clear, there is nothing that can prevent you from walking in the Spirit all day today, and tomorrow and the next day. And all week. And all month. You get the point.
    Yes. Also, my intention to walk in the spirit is continuous. Will I continue to walk in the Spirit all day? Maybe, but I can't predict the future. We as Christians have two competing capacities within us—the old capacity to sin and the new capacity to resist sinning. So are you rejecting that we can still sin as Christians? Or do you admit that we as a born again blood bought child of God can still sin?
    Last edited by The Light Within; 12-21-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks

Yes. Also, my intention to walk in the spirit is continuous. Will I continue to walk in the Spirit all day? Maybe, but I can't predict the future. We as Christians have two competing capacities within us—the old capacity to sin and the new capacity to resist sinning. So are you rejecting that we can still sin as Christians? Or do you admit that we as a born again blood bought child of God can still sin?
    If your intention is to walk in the Spirit continuous then I applaud you. You're walking in the Spirit right now praise God!!! Now remain steadfast and go all day walking in the Spirit. Don't let anything hinder you. You're off to a great start today! Keep your mind on Christ and cast down any thoughts that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. This is key. Let me know how long you continued to walk in the Spirit today. OK? Cool.

I'm not rejecting that a Christian can sin intentionally and willfully. The proof of that is all around us. I'm simply saying that it is God's will that we walk in the Spirit continually. I'm also saying that we have partaken of the divine nature in Christ and have the mind of Christ that enables us to do that. Austin and I walk in the Spirit continually. I submit to you that you can do likewise.

Thanks

If your intention is to walk in the Spirit continuous then I applaud you. You're walking in the Spirit right now praise God!!! Now remain steadfast and go all day walking in the Spirit. Don't let anything hinder you. You're off to a great start today! Keep your mind on Christ and cast down any thoughts that exalt themselves above the knowledge of God. This is key. Let me know how long you continued to walk in the Spirit today. OK? Cool.

I'm not rejecting that a Christian can sin intentionally and willfully. The proof of that is all around us. I'm simply saying that it is God's will that we walk in the Spirit continually. I'm also saying that we have partaken of the divine nature in Christ and have the mind of Christ that enables us to do that. Austin and I walk in the Spirit continually. I submit to you that you can do likewise.
    Alright, alright, now we're getting somewhere. In Romans 7, Paul explains the battle that rages continually in even the most spiritually mature people. He laments that he does what he doesn’t want to do and, in fact, does the evil he detests. He says that is the result of “sin living in me” (Romans 7:20). He delights in God’s law according to his “inner being,” but he sees another law at work in “the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members” (v. 23). Here is the classic example of the two entities, whatever terms they may carry. The point is that the battle is real, and it is one Christians will wage throughout their lives.

This is why believers are encouraged to put to death the deeds of the body, to put to death that which makes a Christian sin, and to put aside other sins such as anger, wrath, malice, etc. All this to say that the Christian has two natures—the old and the new—but the new nature needs continual renewing. This renewing, of course, is a lifetime process for the Christian. Even though the battle against sin is constant, we are no longer under the control of sin. The believer is truly a new creation in Christ, and it is Christ who will ultimately rescue us from this body of death. Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Thread Information