Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 120
  1. #81
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    I wonder what will happen when white Americans will become the minority...then what?

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-citizens.html

    White people will be a minority in the U.S. by 2044 while the rest of the population will be a mixture of different ethnicities, according to a new survey.

    The next 30 years will see an ageing white population reduced from 75 per cent of U.S. citizens today to 49.7 per cent in 2044, the first year minorities will outnumber whites.

    In the same time period the Hispanic population will soar from 16 per cent today to 25 per cent, while the Asian population will nearly double from 4 per cent to 7.9 per cent.

    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3MBnZ63jP
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  2. #82
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking View Post
    I'm a white minority.

    What is a white minority?
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  3. #83
    HCR Ole' Head Deadmanwalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rochester New York/ or you can call it roc city for short!!
    Posts
    6,612
    Thanks
    3,496
    Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,834 Posts

    Default

    I'm Puerto Rican. I'm Latino. So I'm a minority. But I'm white passing for the most part.
    Pick up that new Cram Session (7) featuring Sev Statik, Theory Hazit, Wonder Brown, Nomis, Antioch Alumni, myself and some new blood that you haven't heard yet. http://antiochalumni.bandcamp.com/releases

    I'm a secular rapper who raps Christian.

  4. #84
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking View Post
    I'm Puerto Rican. I'm Latino. So I'm a minority. But I'm white passing for the most part.
    Ahh, understood, seρor.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  5. #85
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked 453 Times in 346 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    I wonder what will happen when white Americans will become the minority...then what?
    In Egypt the Israelites were the majority people and were still slaves. Same thing happened with the Jebusites later on as well if memory serves correct. Carry on with yall convo tho.. *exits thread*
    Last edited by plainoleme; 12-18-2014 at 12:20 PM.

  6. #86
    HCR Ole' Head seal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    FLA BOI TOTA SCRIPTURA!!!
    Posts
    11,216
    Thanks
    4,733
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,800 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking View Post
    If you believe that there is indeed inequality, is it just the term "white privilege" that bothers you?
    Yeap.....It's almost like saying "Black Athlete"..... Are all Blacks Athletes? No. Are All Whites Privileged? Heck No.

    Attaching such an adjective to a particular people is unfair and a most heinous generalization. People who use the term are propagators of the same ideology they seek to suppress against their people group.

    Some White worked their tails off to get what they have and to jab them with ....Oh.... you just benefitted from that White Privilege motif..... Is a slap in the face.

    There will always be inequality because man will never be God. Only God deals 100% justly. Yet the inequality normally spoke of is assumptions based off of assumptions that lead to more assumptions.

    So it's time for the people of God to continue to preach the Gospel and Trust that Christ will change the hearts of people to deal justly.



    Grace and Peace,
    seal
    Now it's cool if Brothers Cross over/But wat's the point of crossing over if you don't take the CROSS OVER~ shai

  7. #87
    HCR Veterano AudienceOfOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Da Nati, OH
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 439 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yeap.....It's almost like saying "Black Athlete"..... Are all Blacks Athletes? No. Are All Whites Privileged? Heck No.

    Attaching such an adjective to a particular people is unfair and a most heinous generalization. People who use the term are propagators of the same ideology they seek to suppress against their people group.

    Some White worked their tails off to get what they have and to jab them with ....Oh.... you just benefitted from that White Privilege motif..... Is a slap in the face.

    There will always be inequality because man will never be God. Only God deals 100% justly. Yet the inequality normally spoke of is assumptions based off of assumptions that lead to more assumptions.

    So it's time for the people of God to continue to preach the Gospel and Trust that Christ will change the hearts of people to deal justly.



    Grace and Peace,
    seal
    You don't make any argument against white privilege here. What people are talking about is not on an individual level at all.

    When we talk about things like "systematic/institutional racism" or "white privilege," we are referring to macro-level things. Not micro-level things. That is what many people arguing against this don't seem to understand (it seems that includes you and Jason Bradfield). You can't make a micro argument against a macro level claim. Glad I had to take a couple sociology classes in college.

    I'm convinced that the problem with people not believing in these things lies in education. Please don't take this immaturely as me calling you stupid/unintelligent. Far as I can tell you and JB are very well learned in theology. But theology doesn't make you a good social critic. It can help, but they are obviously not equivalent. Go read some sociology books. Some good ones have been suggested in many of the discussions that have been had with evangelical leaders within the past week. As far as the affirmative action and the other "political solutions," go read John Rawls' "Theory of Justice."
    Last edited by AudienceOfOne; 12-18-2014 at 12:06 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to AudienceOfOne For This Useful Post:

    vancitykat (12-20-2014)

  9. #88
    HCR Ole' Head Deadmanwalking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rochester New York/ or you can call it roc city for short!!
    Posts
    6,612
    Thanks
    3,496
    Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,834 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yeap.....It's almost like saying "Black Athlete"..... Are all Blacks Athletes? No. Are All Whites Privileged? Heck No.

    Attaching such an adjective to a particular people is unfair and a most heinous generalization. People who use the term are propagators of the same ideology they seek to suppress against their people group.

    Some White worked their tails off to get what they have and to jab them with ....Oh.... you just benefitted from that White Privilege motif..... Is a slap in the face.

    There will always be inequality because man will never be God. Only God deals 100% justly. Yet the inequality normally spoke of is assumptions based off of assumptions that lead to more assumptions.

    So it's time for the people of God to continue to preach the Gospel and Trust that Christ will change the hearts of people to deal justly.



    Grace and Peace,
    seal
    If an athlete is black, I don't see an issue calling them a black athlete if it's relevant to offer that context.


    And I know that there are lots of white people who work their tails off to get what to where they get. That doesn't negate the privileges they received on the way up. White privilege doesn't negate their hard work. It's only a slap in the face if they insist on denying that they have certain advantages.


    I've had to work my butt off while having to deal with racism. I've had to work my tail off while being labeled the bad kid in school just for coming from the city and being a minority. All the other kids just got to work hard and only deal with working hard.

    Black people have a bit more they have to deal with. They have to work hard and still get harassed by police. They have to work hard and still have to deal with crime riddled neighborhoods. They have to work hard and still get denied for home loans or lines of credit. They have to work hard and still be looked at like a savage because their white counterparts who have only interacted with 5 black people their entire life only know black people through what the TV tells them. They have to work hard and hide their real personalities out of fear that they will get lumped in with "those kinds of black people."


    White privilege doesn't mean white people have it easy in this country. The only people who have it easy are people who already have money. But it is a bit of an easier climb when your demographic has certain benefits or lack of disadvantages.

    Tim Allen actually did time in prison for selling cocaine. But he was released with enough time for him to salvage the rest of his life and become quite successful. Black people typically receive harsher sentencing. Couple that with poor education. Now you have an under-educated grown man with very little time left to try and carve out a comfortable life. It's no wonder that most criminals become repeat offenders. Career criminals. But I digress.

    There are external factors that put black people at a disadvantage no matter how personally accountable they may be. The more money you make the less racism you have to deal with, sure. Or at least you get to graduate to a more subtle kind of racism. But you still have to deal with it.

    So how about this; Would you prefer if people changed the term from white privilege to black disadvantage?
    Pick up that new Cram Session (7) featuring Sev Statik, Theory Hazit, Wonder Brown, Nomis, Antioch Alumni, myself and some new blood that you haven't heard yet. http://antiochalumni.bandcamp.com/releases

    I'm a secular rapper who raps Christian.

  10. #89
    HCR Ole' Head seal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    FLA BOI TOTA SCRIPTURA!!!
    Posts
    11,216
    Thanks
    4,733
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,800 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AudienceOfOne View Post
    You don't make any argument against white privilege here. What people are talking about is not on an individual level at all.

    When we talk about things like "systematic/institutional racism" or "white privilege," we are referring to macro-level things. Not micro-level things. That is what many people arguing against this don't seem to understand (it seems that includes you and Jason Bradfield). You can't make a micro argument against a macro level claim. Glad I had to take a couple sociology classes in college.

    So lets follow your Logic and see how your sociology class in College has helped you.

    On a Micro-Level you are saying you can't prove White Privilege exist.

    Yet on a Macro-Level you saying you can prove White Privilege exist.


    Well I took both Macro and Micro Economics in College and use it everyday in my current occupation and what you are saying is very inconsistent.

    Your argument contradicts itself and leads to continuious assumptions. Thus generalizations that breed racist ideology which is what your sociology class was all about....LOL.... Liberals pushed that Liberal Arts Nonsense in your mind. They did not derive any of their presuppositions or epistemology from Christ sir. If you saw their lifestyle I am sure you know this.



    Grace and Peace,
    seal
    Now it's cool if Brothers Cross over/But wat's the point of crossing over if you don't take the CROSS OVER~ shai

  11. #90
    HCR Veterano AudienceOfOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Da Nati, OH
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 439 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    So lets follow your Logic and see how your sociology class in College has helped you.

    On a Micro-Level you are saying you can't prove White Privilege exist.

    Yet on a Macro-Level you saying you can prove White Privilege exist.


    Well I took both Macro and Micro Economics in College and use it everyday in my current occupation and what you are saying is very inconsistent.

    Your argument contradicts itself and leads to continuious assumptions. Thus generalizations that breed racist ideology which is what your sociology class was all about....LOL.... Liberals pushed that Liberal Arts Nonsense in your mind. They did not derive any of their presuppositions or epistemology from Christ sir. If you saw their lifestyle I am sure you know this.



    Grace and Peace,
    seal
    I'm saying that if I claim there is systematic racism and you say, "No there isn't! BillyBob is white and he is poor and Steven is black and he is rich!" then you have made a micro level example an argument against a macro level claim. That is nonsensical.

    Also, you are aware that even though the economics you use has the same names as what I'm talking about, they still have no correlation? Not sure why that was even brought up.

    And are you sure you know what liberal arts is? I don't think you do. Liberal arts is simply a higher education which focuses on all areas of learning. It is a good thing to be educated in many different areas (like sociology and philosophy for example -- stuff you could probably use). Francis Schaeffer wrote that it is good to be educated in many different areas and Westminster Seminary suggests a liberal arts undergraduate education before applying.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AudienceOfOne For This Useful Post:

    Zema (12-19-2014)

  13. #91
    HCR Familia Jason Bradfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    763
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 462 Times in 263 Posts

    Default

    There is no single theory in sociology. Just as there has been no single philosophical theory. You act as though reading a sociology book will give me the "facts."

    But this doesn't surprise me. I suppose you would argue the complete silliness of evolution on a macro-level too, right?

    Seal and I are not secular humanists. God's Word is our axiom. I don't care to take social lessons from an evolutionist.

  14. #92
    HCR Veterano AudienceOfOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Da Nati, OH
    Posts
    1,058
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 439 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Bradfield View Post
    There is no single theory in sociology. Just as there has been no single philosophical theory. You act as though reading a sociology book will give me the "facts."

    But this doesn't surprise me. I suppose you would argue the complete silliness of evolution on a macro-level too, right?

    Seal and I are not secular humanists. God's Word is our axiom. I don't care to take social lessons from an evolutionist.
    You're right but I would say the overwhelming majority of academic sociology argues for white privilege and institutional racism.

    Who in the world is talking about evolution? Lol.

    And I hold to God's word as you do, and I can tell you where the scriptures tell the story of sin that can infect institution, but I cannot point to the scriptures claiming white privilege doesn't exist.

  15. #93
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    This is just a partial section from Voddies article. This is his take: http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/ar...ts-on-ferguson

    I have been pulled over by police for no apparent reason. In fact, it has happened on more than one occasion. I was stopped in Westwood while walking with a friend of mine who was a student at UCLA. We found ourselves lying face down on the sidewalk while officers questioned us. On another occasion, I was stopped while with my uncle. I remember his visceral response as he looked at me and my cousin (his son). The look in his eye was one of humiliation and anger. He looked at the officer and said, “My brother and I didn’t fight in Vietnam so you could treat me like this in front of my son and my nephew.”

    Again, this experience stayed with me for years. And for many of those years, I blamed “the system” or “the man.” However, I have come to realize that it was no more “the system” when white cops pulled me over than it was “the system” when a black thug robbed me at gunpoint. It was sin! The men who robbed me were sinners. The cops who stopped me were sinners. They were not taking their cues from some script designed to “keep me down.” They were simply men who didn’t understand what it meant to treat others with the dignity and respect they deserve as image bearers of God.

    It does me absolutely no good to assume that my mistreatment was systemic in nature. No more than it is good for me to assume that what happened in Ferguson was systemic. I have a life to live, and I refuse to live it fighting ghosts. I will not waste my energy trying to prove the Gramscian, neo-Marxist concept of “white privilege” or prejudice in policing practices.

    I don’t care what advantages my white neighbor may or may not have. If he does have advantages, God bless him! I no more fault him than I fault my own children who have tremendous advantages due to the fact that they were raised by two educated, Christian parents who loved, disciplined, and taught them. Ironically, when I think about THAT advantage, I am filled with joy and gratitude to God for his faithfulness. People are supposed to bequeath an advantage to their children and grandchildren (Prov. 13:22). Why, then, would I be angry with my white neighbor for any advantage he is purported to have? And what good would it do? How does that advance the gospel? Especially in light of the fact that growing up with the gospel is the ultimate privilege/advantage! It is the advantage that has granted us all “American privilege”! Are we guilty for being citizens of the wealthiest republic in the history of the world? I think not!
    Last edited by The Light Within; 12-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  16. #94
    HCR Veterano
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    FLA. Baby
    Posts
    1,750
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked 503 Times in 326 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Light Within View Post
    This is just a partial section from Voddies article. This is his take: http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/ar...ts-on-ferguson
    Dude. Why are you spamming? You have posted this in two different threads and created another one. It was aleady posted a couple weeks ago.
    Live life with no regrets. No more saying I should have or could have, just move on it. Be faithful in all you do and watch God work. Dreams are for sleepers, achievements are for the hard workers.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to EBro For This Useful Post:

    Zema (12-20-2014)

  18. #95
    HCR Veterano EgoVanEgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,683
    Thanks
    2,723
    Thanked 689 Times in 413 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EBro View Post
    No I have not. Is it the same affirmative action in the U.S.? Was it applied the same way? Does the government strongly enforce it?
    I suggest you should read up on it. I can't summarise it all here but I'd just say it will help give you a wider view AA as a solution.

    and don't dismiss it as being a case in another country with a different setting

  19. #96
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    D@vid, check this out concerning the hot topic as of right now.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  20. #97
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    More bumps.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  21. #98
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    This whole thread from the very first page is very eye-opening.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

  22. #99
    HCR Veterano Tarii_2sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    2,902
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 445 Times in 360 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zema View Post
    That is the single most dumb lie I have ever heard. We are faaaaaaaaaar more accepting of them than they are of us. Voddie is such a sell-out. He's disgusting. I don't buy that he's a believer at all. Ras, no one has ever been able to explain how a person can truly be transformed, and be prejudiced at the same time. The whole book of Matthew is about self-deceived false converts. I'm convinced Voddie is one of them.
    So true.

  23. #100
    HCR Ole' Head The Light Within's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Western Canada in an igloo (with central heating).
    Posts
    7,409
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,724 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarii_2sweet View Post
    So true.
    Trouble starter.
    I'm praying for His grace that every time I will speak / In the schools, in the mall, on the job, on the streets / — Flame

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •