Widgets Magazine
    Young Bol
    Thanks

Default 2 Christians rap battle (SICK!)

Ok so maybe i'm biased calling it "sick" since I'm one of the battlers lol but the buzz everywhere else on the internet is saying the same thing about this match... that you don't even notice that we don't curse when we rap. The wordplay of both sides is unparalleled.

Hey folks, I'm Isaac Knox, an emcee/battle rapper that has found much success both secularly & spiritually through the battle rap culture.

I know how many of y'all feel about Christians battling rapping & I've jumped into an extensive discussion on here about it before.

Please enjoy this profanity-free professional rap battle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W48A5...6cFUAAAAAAAAAA

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ISAACofKO For This Useful Post:

AVW (02-27-2012), thakiddd (02-28-2012), Zema (02-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,005 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ISAACofKO View Post
    Ok so maybe i'm biased calling it "sick" since I'm one of the battlers lol but the buzz everywhere else on the internet is saying the same thing about this match... that you don't even notice that we don't curse when we rap. The wordplay of both sides is unparalleled.

Hey folks, I'm Isaac Knox, an emcee/battle rapper that has found much success both secularly & spiritually through the battle rap culture.

I know how many of y'all feel about Christians battling rapping & I've jumped into an extensive discussion on here about it before.

I see what you're trying to do, but I couldn't get into it.

Young Bol
    Thanks

BTW...

I will include some of the things I posted months ago about Christians battle rapping so you all can be fully informed on what God is doing through this artform:

" First off, I am a strong Christian & believe that at the moment I am called to battle rap (among other things). It's a sport. Hip-Hop is competitive by nature & battle rap in pretty much verbal UFC fighting. Is it a sin to hit someone? Usually, yes. But when you're in a professional fight, that's how you play. You find you opponent's weaknesses, expose them, and use everything in your arsenal to defeat the competition. As a Christian, there are lines I don't cross such as profanity, sex, & violence- The same way a fighter wouldn't pull hair, kick someone's crotch, or poke their eye. There are many fighters that are believers including the guy who first knocked out Kimbo Slice, I've ministered at an event with him before. Anyway, I was SHOCKED by how friendly, non-judgmental, & supportive the battle community was. The whole game has developed into something healthy, not negative.

As controversial as this sounds... battle rappers treat people more Christ-like than most church people I've met. I've been in sports, music, drama, debate, & the church scene- battle rap is the nicest BY FAR. *Not that I've left any fore-mentioned scene*

I know it doesn't seem that way because of the rules of the game, but before & after each match, most opponents hang out together, get Denny's, & laugh about lines they liked of each others. I'm good friends with everyone I've battled. Being boastful/arrogant is wrong in life but the intent of battle rap changes that completely. I'd never speak condescendingly or hurtful towards someone but when we are mutually competing for who is the superior emcee, it's not personal. BATTLE RAP GIVES YOU AN ARMOR TO ANYTHING THAT IS SAID TO YOU. No one should catch feelings from what the other guys says no matter what. We as battlers make our entire lives available to be addressed when we step in the ring. WITH THAT SAID, I appreciate MC's that don't have to use the shock factor of being overly disrespectful to get reactions. I think some battlers do great personals, some are really clever, AND THE BEST ONES DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.

The UN (yes- United Nations) was actually in talks with Grind Time about giving them resources because battle rap has become an outlet for people, many of whom are from violent environments, to release their aggressions in a safe way. Being "real" in battle rap means you don't get emotional about what happens... being violent is "uncool" cuz it means you weren't man enough to get dissed. That dynamic caught the UN's eye & they wanted to put battle leagues all of the world to decrease gang violence. True story.

*Back to the faith aspect of this*

I am one of 4 true Christians in Grind Time that I know of. My close friend & groupmate, Heir Jordan, is one. We have seen SO MUCH spiritual fruit come from being in this scene. Instead of being influenced to do sinful things that most battlers do, it's been reversed.
    -Jordan is currently descipling a member of the Grind Time staff that we met by traveling to events.
    -Another battler does all his battles without swearing now because he saw that we could do it.
    -Another one is drug-free because to chats with us.
    -A prominent battler called me to ask me about the gospel for hours.
    -Everyone I've met tells me how much they respect what we do & how we do it, many say they wish they did the same... which leads to great convos.
    ALL GLORY TO GOD. It's pretty clear that he has us there for a reason. It's not for everyone cuz temptation is ALL AROUND YOU. I spent almost 3 years debating whether or not I should join Grind Time before I accepted their request. If Jordan wasn't also doing it, I would have no accountability & would likely not do well spiritually. Someone has to be the light in the darkness, I just so happen to be trying to do that as a battler. (And there's NO WAY i'd have any influence if I wasn't competing & winning... it's a respect thing)

It goes back to the UFC example. It's wrong to fight someone outside of rare exceptions (all in defense). No Christian will say that it's ok to punch, kick, and choke someone- ESPECIALLY in public, which humiliates the other person. But UFC fighting is an arena where these things are expected & required. In the same way, boastful words aren't REALLY bragging. It's not actually genuine pride (for some of us at least). It's not that we WANT to insult someone or boast in front of a crowd, it that we have a topic presented to rap about (our opponent) & the game is to show why you are superior, whether you actually think you are or not.

Another relevant example, debate teams. When you are on a debate team, you are given a topic ahead of time to research & GIVEN the side to take. You don't choose it. So if, for example, I was on a debate team that had to be FOR abortion... I'd have to do my best to present that case in order to win. It's not how I actually feel, but I love the game & play to win, to have fun, & develop relationships. I don't actually think my opponent is ugly or wack (sometimes lol) but that's the role I have to play. I don't think that there's any line crossing spiritually by saying "I'm the best" or something. It about rhyme schemes, wordplay, punchlines, flow, delivery, rebuttaling, etc. I can control my language & it's content so there are things I won't say.... but boasting & coarse joking becomes totally irrelevant because it's like lines in a script. We just happen to write it ourselves.

I know it sounds like over-justification, but I have spent years on this subject & now feel confident in being a battler.

Manchild of Mars Ill & Deep Space 5 has blogged many times in support of Christians battle rapping & he actually WON the Redbull EmSee competition the year before it went big (I competed last year). KJ-52 is another guy that's battled a lot. (What's with us all being white?! lol just noticed that)

Playdough even did Scribble Jam. (which was the biggest thing in battling for years worldwide). Jin got saved & has been in talks about jumping back in the battling ring. He still supports. "

Thanks
    Thanked 6,115 Times in 3,434 Posts

What is the song that intros the battle?

Young Bol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    What is the song that intros the battle?
    It's the instrumental of my group's song "It Means Everything". My group is called The King's Offspring & you can get all of our music for FREE at TheKingsOffspring.com

thanks for asking!

Edit- you may be asking about the one directly before the battle & it's a song my Jonny Storm. I think the battle league put the music info in the YouTube description box.
    Last edited by ISAACofKO; 02-27-2012 at 12:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ISAACofKO For This Useful Post:

eternal (02-27-2012)

Thanks

It's the instrumental of my group's song "It Means Everything". My group is called The King's Offspring & you can get all of our music for FREE at TheKingsOffspring.com

thanks for asking!

Edit- you may be asking about the one directly before the battle & it's a song my Jonny Storm. I think the battle league put the music info in the YouTube description box.
    yeah I was talking about the song. Thanks. Never heard of Jonny Storm. Does he got an album? What about Mr. Biscuit?

Thanks

I want you to battle Soul Khan. That would be a great match up as you could come up with some clever punch lines since he is Jewish and he has taken shots at the New Testament and Christ you could totally flip it and give a great presentation of the Gospel.
    I donít deserve it, Iím worthless, but treated as perfect
    I sin more than I wanna, but my sins are a goner
    I was lost, but redeemed, then adopted and cleaned
    WhyMe? WhyMe? ~ Trip Lee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eternal View Post
    yeah I was talking about the song. Thanks. Never heard of Jonny Storm. Does he got an album? What about Mr. Biscuit?
    Mr Biscuit is Bridge B. From neopsalmz and he is a beast!!

Just watched the battle, man that was close, but I would of gave it to Isaac.
    Last edited by AVW; 02-27-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "Repent for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand"

John the Baptist, Jesus Christ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVW View Post
    Mr Biscuit is Bridge B. From neopsalmz and he is a beast!!
    Aww...thanks for that. I found this:

Great flow for sure. He was great at the end of the song when he did that street rules vs. Jesus battle piece. I'd sure like to hear him when he is more conceptual as in an album. Dude certainly got skills

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eternal For This Useful Post:

phil (02-28-2012)

Thanks

Dang that was a good battle. I think what you guys are doing is pretty cool, keep it up bro.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,731 Times in 2,199 Posts

hey, i don't have a problem with some healthy competition or battle rapping

what i can't get with is implementing eternal truths of scripture as a sporting gimmick like in your first verse or in biscuit's last verse
    Last edited by phil; 02-28-2012 at 02:32 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to phil For This Useful Post:

SemperReformanda (02-28-2012)

Young Bol
    Thanks

It would totally be a gimmick if it wasn't relevant to the opponent. Both Biscuit & I have spat over 24 rounds in on-camera battles & our faith has only been addressed in 2 rounds each. We definitely doesn't use it for extra points it was just an angle that happened to work on both of us.

Thanks

i posted this on a secular rap board. All the responses have been good.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,731 Times in 2,199 Posts

It would totally be a gimmick if it wasn't relevant to the opponent. Both Biscuit & I have spat over 24 rounds in on-camera battles & our faith has only been addressed in 2 rounds each. We definitely doesn't use it for extra points it was just an angle that happened to work on both of us.
    I understand that in a rap battle, you have little time to decide what you ar saying and that you need to think on your feet. My concern is using word play about how Jesus bore our sins in his body as a "rap battle angle". IE: "39 whips"
    Last edited by phil; 02-28-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I understand that in a rap battle, you have little time to decide what you ar saying and that you need to think on your feet. My concern is using word play about how Jesus bore our sins in his body as a "rap battle angle". IE: "39 whips"
    they were all pre-writtens

Thread Information