Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,128 Times in 3,532 Posts

Default Government Shutdown

Does anyone on here have a job where they will be affected if the government shuts down?
    "Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you."

Thanks

I'm sorry but I have an honest question: What does this mean that the government is "shutting down"?? Clarity would be helpful please...
    "The truth is I'm in love with You and hope that you see I/Would like to see You and I in u-n-i-t-y." - Trip Lee

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stromer For This Useful Post:

4 God (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
    I'm sorry but I have an honest question: What does this mean that the government is "shutting down"?? Clarity would be helpful please...
    You gotta watch the news to find out all the details. This article may help. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/07...s-down/?hpt=T2

Over 800,000 people who have "non-essential" jobs that are funded by the government won't be getting paid if the government shuts down. Others who "essential" jobs will still go to work, but won't be getting paid.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,645 Posts

I am a federal employee. Our managers are actually in a meeting now. One can only suppose that it's a meeting for instructions on what we are to do next. I say that because Friday meetings in the morning aren't that common around here. There's been a lot more pressure to get cases processed here at my agency this week. Our workload probably doubled.

Unlike furloughs/shutdowns of the past, there's no guarantee that we will get paid at a later date, even if we have to come into work.

Stromer, basically, all government agencies run on funding in the federal budget. We've been on a continuing resolution (basically the same budget as last year) since the fiscal year 2011 started back in October. The resolution has expired several times, and up to this point, they've done two and three week stopgap measures to keep the government funded. However, the budget has not been agreed upon for the remainder of the fiscal year. The latest stopgap bill expires at midnight. If no new deal is struck by then, the government agencies will not have the authority to pay salaries to anyone because there is no budget allocation. So, basically, the government will be shut down.

We just received communication from our commissioner about the possible shutdown. Some employees may be considered "excepted" from the shutdown and will have to report to work. Those employees will eventually get paid, but for those who are not deemed excepted, they may or may not get paid. That will be up to Congress. If I had to bet, we won't get paid (assuming I am not excepted).
    "He who hates, disguises it with his lips, and lays up deceit within himself; When he speaks kindly, do not believ him, for there are seven abominations in his heart." Proverbs 26

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Expositor For This Useful Post:

GloMoGo (04-08-2011), jeyjey34 (04-08-2011), savedbygracealone (04-08-2011)

Thanks

This is sad. And all the while, the congresspeople still get theirs...smh
    You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them,
    yet they are more than can be told. Psalm 40:5

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thankfull For This Useful Post:

eve (04-08-2011), GloMoGo (04-08-2011), JDWhyte (04-08-2011), jeyjey34 (04-08-2011), Tarii_2sweet (04-08-2011)

Thanks

All the while GE didn't pay any taxes last year...
    How the heck do these large corporations get by doing this stuff while I see people who have little to no money at all get taxed to the point that they are scraping to get by? Although in theory, with a government shutdown and if they still collect taxes from everything we buy at these stores... won't that actually help? I understand a lot of places will shutdown, but still that's not cool for peeps like my dad whom are federal workers (and in the middle of buying a house).

What am I missing? I read a couple news articles but I just want to know more about this then what media is making known... anyone got some good reads?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDWhyte For This Useful Post:

clayfilms (04-08-2011), eve (04-08-2011), jeyjey34 (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Because I work in a Program Service Center, I am considered essential and will report to work on Monday, regardless of the budget being passed or not. From Monday until whenever a budget is agreed upon, we will be in non-pay status. Whenever Congress gets it together and decides to give us some money, we will get paid. But, essentially, we'll be working for "free" (so to speak) for however long that takes. Also, during this time, any requests for leave or any advanced approved leave has been canceled because they cannot approve paid leave while we have no fund allocation.

I'm glad to know we will eventually get paid. But, I wish it wasn't going to be so late.
    "He who hates, disguises it with his lips, and lays up deceit within himself; When he speaks kindly, do not believ him, for there are seven abominations in his heart." Proverbs 26

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Expositor For This Useful Post:

GloMoGo (04-08-2011), jeyjey34 (04-08-2011)

Thanks

I'm a Government contractor and funding for my contract has already been designated and accounted for. So no matter, what I've got to work and I get paid as usual. Not all contracts work this way though.
    Last edited by dillon32; 04-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dillon32 For This Useful Post:

GloMoGo (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,001 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thankfull View Post
    This is sad. And all the while, the congresspeople still get theirs...smh
    but of course!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDWhyte View Post
    How the heck do these large corporations get by doing this stuff while I see people who have little to no money at all get taxed to the point that they are scraping to get by?
    because the god-fearing repubs love to target welfare queens instead of corporate welfare recipients, the latter of which expect hundreds of millions more in aid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Expositor View Post
    Because I work in a Program Service Center, I am considered essential and will report to work on Monday, regardless of the budget being passed or not. From Monday until whenever a budget is agreed upon, we will be in non-pay status. Whenever Congress gets it together and decides to give us some money, we will get paid. But, essentially, we'll be working for "free" (so to speak) for however long that takes. Also, during this time, any requests for leave or any advanced approved leave has been canceled because they cannot approve paid leave while we have no fund allocation.

I'm glad to know we will eventually get paid. But, I wish it wasn't going to be so late.
    glad to hear that, mike

* reason number 3,087 to have long- and short-term savings and not to live paycheck to paycheck.
    * reason number 4 million to have real skills: being "essential" is really important in the workforce and you're less likely to be let go without having several head-hunters at your door the very next day. if there are any reading this who have no profession and no skills, please remember this is the 21st century, y'all. the gap between the "knows" and the "know nots" is growing to the point that in just a few years there will be no place for skill-less folk. i say this in love, fam.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eve For This Useful Post:

jeyjey34 (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,963 Times in 1,788 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Mike. All military still have to go to work, but we wont be paid.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to KPfaREAL For This Useful Post:

jeyjey34 (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDWhyte View Post
    How the heck do these large corporations get by doing this stuff while I see people who have little to no money at all get taxed to the point that they are scraping to get by? Although in theory, with a government shutdown and if they still collect taxes from everything we buy at these stores... won't that actually help? I understand a lot of places will shutdown, but still that's not cool for peeps like my dad whom are federal workers (and in the middle of buying a house).

What am I missing? I read a couple news articles but I just want to know more about this then what media is making known... anyone got some good reads?
    Quote Originally Posted by eve View Post
    because the god-fearing repubs love to target welfare queens instead of corporate welfare recipients, the latter of which expect hundreds of millions more in aid.
    Republicans will tell you it's because the rich get the taxed the most. So they deserve tax breaks.
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thanks

those who want a society with equality of opportunity so that a nation could benefit from all it's human capital regardless of the economics of the parents folks chose ... would disagree

as it stand (i know you know this) breaks to the rich exacerbate the status quo. and we continue in our caste system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Expositor View Post

This is crazy. You have to get to work & not be paid until a later time....what about the gas burned to get there? No pay check, no gas $ for work. :/ Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
    You have multiplied, O Lord my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them,
    yet they are more than can be told. Psalm 40:5

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thankfull For This Useful Post:

jeyjey34 (04-08-2011)

Thanks

This whole thing is a joke. I'm not big on politics and I don't claim either party, but I seriously wonder if either party is truly concerned about the people or just more concerned about pushing their own agenda. This may be a separate issue but it's how I feel about politics in general.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jeyjey34 For This Useful Post:

thankfull (04-08-2011)

Thanks

They claim it's about the people, but it's about political power...on both sides. The elected officials receive support from special interest groups during campaigns and even during their terms in office and those groups and individuals expect real consideration when it comes to funding in return.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Expositor For This Useful Post:

Dustin Medicus (Onesimus) (04-08-2011), GloMoGo (04-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thankfull View Post
    This is crazy. You have to get to work & not be paid until a later time....what about the gas burned to get there? No pay check, no gas $ for work. :/ Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.
    I don't burn much gas at all going to work. It takes me 5 minutes to get there. But if I did...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Expositor For This Useful Post:

GloMoGo (04-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,800 Posts

Yo,

It's time for a Gov't cleansing. Better now than never. Repub's and Dem's spend too much money.

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    Now it's cool if Brothers Cross over/But wat's the point of crossing over if you don't take the CROSS OVER~ shai

32. The Following User Says Thank You to seal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yo,

It's time for a Gov't cleansing. Better now than never. Repub's and Dem's spend too much money.

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    so you're in favor of this?
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thread Information