Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: Should We End Welfare?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 17.39%
  • No

19 82.61%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

Default Should We End Welfare?

With the recent discussions in politics it seems that one of the main reasons why Obama gets so much support is that his social programs are very attractive.He is a supporter of Universal Healthcare and increased taxes on the rich to support Welfare programs.I believe that it is the Church's responsiblity to give to the poor and not the Government(although i don't knock them for doing that).I think the Church can practice discernment in who to give money to.Most likely the church isnt going to give money to a woman who insists on continuing to have Babies out of wedlock.They are gping to "teach a man how to fish" i guess.What do yall think?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 709 Posts

I wouldn't say end it, because there are people who really need to help. It needs a complete overhaul, IMO.
    “Thanks to Planned Parenthood for all the work you....across this country. And also for men who have enough sense to realize that you are helping them all across the country.” -Barack Obama, July 2007

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rikki For This Useful Post:

BlackCalvinist (09-09-2008), dremarshall (09-09-2008), souljah77 (09-09-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
    I wouldn't say end it, because there are people who really need to help. It needs a complete overhaul, IMO.
    I agree that there are people with legitimate needs...my question is though can't they just turn to their Church?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    With the recent discussions in politics it seems that one of the main reasons why Obama gets so much support is that his social programs are very attractive.He is a supporter of Universal Healthcare and increased taxes on the rich to support Welfare programs.I believe that it is the Church's responsiblity to give to the poor and not the Government(although i don't knock them for doing that).I think the Church can practice discernment in who to give money to.Most likely the church isnt going to give money to a woman who insists on continuing to have Babies out of wedlock.They are gping to "teach a man how to fish" i guess.What do yall think?
    why should a child be deprived because their mother decided to have babies out of wedlock? Referring to your discernment/giving to a person who keeps having babies.
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thanks

Because if the mother is depriving the children of food, then we will have to take care of it anyway. Through foster care. And yes, it's the job of Christians to take of orphans but still.
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    why should a child be deprived because their mother decided to have babies out of wedlock? Referring to your discernment/giving to a person who keeps having babies.
    I am not for a Child being deprived.But i believe the Church should handle that.Not the Government.As foul as this might seem that woman put her Child in that situation.Giving her a Check every month would be rewarding Ignorance,Sin and just plain Stupidity.If the church where to handle this they would most likely give her the gospel anyway.And they would probably cut her off if she continued in sexual immorality(which is what we are supposed to do BIBLICALLY)thus forcing her to see how sinful her behavior is.

Thanks

Because if the mother is depriving the children of food, then we will have to take care of it anyway. Through foster care. And yes, it's the job of Christians to take of orphans but still.
    Ok.But the child wont be deprived of food if she turned to the church.Plenty of church's operate food shelters.

Thanks

I am not for a Child being deprived.But i believe the Church should handle that.Not the Government.As foul as this might seem that woman put her Child in that situation.Giving her a Check every month would be rewarding Ignorance,Sin and just plain Stupidity.If the church where to handle this they would most likely give her the gospel anyway.And they would probably cut her off if she continued in sexual immorality(which is what we are supposed to do BIBLICALLY)thus forcing her to see how sinful her behavior is.
    So if they're not affiliated with a church then what? The government would still have to be involved, correct? Again, "cutting her off" because of sexual sin is hurting the child. And if you do that, again, we will be taking care of it through foster care.

That doesn't add up. We shouldn't base giving to a person whether they're practicing abstinence . It should be for the aid of the child. If that's how we determine whether we help unwed mothers or not, then I hope it stays in the hand of state. They would help them regardless of practicing sexual immorality. Because the milk (i.e.) would be helping the child.

HCR Veterano
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 571 Posts

No. Welfare shouldn't end without trying to end the NEED for welfare. Hope that makes sense to those reading.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zee For This Useful Post:

LENZ_1 (09-09-2008), ThaWatcher (09-09-2008)

Thanks

So if they're not affiliated with a church then what? The government would still have to be involved, correct? Again, "cutting her off" because of sexual sin is hurting the child. And if you do that, again, we will be taking care of it through foster care.

That doesn't add up. We shouldn't base giving to a person whether they're practicing abstinence . It should be for the aid of the child. If that's how we determine whether we help unwed mothers or not, then I hope it stays in the hand of state. They would help them regardless of practicing sexual immorality. Because the milk (i.e.) would be helping the child.

I don't see it that way.again its not the church that would be hurting the child.its the MOTHERS own IGNORANCE and SIN that would doing this.If you can't take care of the one child you have then why have 40 more by 60 different men?WHY O WHY?...lol.

I think i might have done an injustice by not being specific on certain kinds of welfare.

I will say i have no problem with WIC in this case.But to give GROWN people money...no.

And again WHO'S job is it to take care of the Poor?I think i used a bad scenario.Lets just say that she keeps having kids out of wedlock....in this situation i think the Church should be able to take care of the children.They might excommunicate the mother for her sins.but they wouldn let the children be derprived.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    No. Welfare shouldn't end without trying to end the NEED for welfare. Hope that makes sense to those reading.
    hmm...interesting.i agree....

Thanks

So do we keep giving women money and not require anything of them?

WIC..I'm all for it.

Folk sitting up in the projects waiting for their money on the first of the month to get their hair and nails done while their children STILL go hungry..NOT SO MUCH.
    “Thanks to Planned Parenthood for all the work you....across this country. And also for men who have enough sense to realize that you are helping them all across the country.” -Barack Obama, July 2007

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rikki For This Useful Post:

LENZ_1 (09-09-2008)

Thanks

Ok.But the child wont be deprived of food if she turned to the church.Plenty of church's operate food shelters.
    Do they have food for infants, diapers, etc. So they would have the things that money wise they would recieve from the state? 2ndly, is the church actually equipped. Is it practical that the state can turn it over like that? I'm not sure if we can. Unless, we do the limit the baby rule of not helping all if they continue in sexual sin.

Thanks

So do we keep giving women money and not require anything of them?
    WIC..I'm all for it.

Folk sitting up in the projects waiting for their money on the first of the month to get their hair and nails done while their children STILL go hungry..NOT SO MUCH.
    yeah see...thats my beef with the whole welfare thing.there are alot of people who REALLY do need it but there are also alot of people that are receiving financial rewards for ignorance,lack of responsiblity and sin.

Thanks

Do they have food for infants, diapers, etc. So they would have the things that money wise they would recieve from the state? 2ndly, is the church actually equipped. Is it practical that the state can turn it over like that? I'm not sure if we can. Unless, we do the limit the baby rule of not helping all if they continue in sexual sin.
    is the church equipped?well if preachers were to give up their million dollar mansions,private jets,over priced vehicles and stop buying there wives new "bling" every day with the church money then i'd say yeah....theres gotta be a million churches in America.Most churches are tax free entities anyway...its about time they gave back.lol.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Devin For This Useful Post:

ZestD (09-09-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,149 Posts

I don't see it that way.again its not the church that would be hurting the child.its the MOTHERS own IGNORANCE and SIN that would doing this.If you can't take care of the one child you have then why have 40 more by 60 different men?WHY O WHY?...lol.

I think i might have done an injustice by not being specific on certain kinds of welfare.

I will say i have no problem with WIC in this case.But to give GROWN people money...no.

And again WHO'S job is it to take care of the Poor?I think i used a bad scenario.Lets just say that she keeps having kids out of wedlock....in this situation i think the Church should be able to take care of the children.They might excommunicate the mother for her sins.but they wouldn let the children be derprived.
    Welfare should not be ended but DEFINATELY time limited. As a social worker I have seen people on Welfare who continue to work and strive to get off welfare and use it for what it was meant for..Then I also see people who just live off Welfare with no aspiration of bettering themselves.

It Welfare was time limited I think you would see more people take an active role in trying to make sure they can sustain themselves once it is cut off, but of course there are still those undeducated people who just won't get it together.

Yes, the church is supposed to care for the poor and such, but most of these children will wind up in the CPS system and we will wind up paying for foster care, relative etc..

So there is a balance..
    Follow me on TWITTER...I DARE YOU..LOL
    www.twitter.com/davnoblemusik

Free Music www.soundcloud.com/davnoblemusik
    Peep my blog www.ecclectica.tumblr.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynaz24 For This Useful Post:

Rikki (09-09-2008)

Thanks

If you're a single mother, paying rent, utilities, child care..there's not a lot of help you can get. You have to be basically working a minimum wage job to get food stamps. To get MONEY, you have to be JOBLESS.

In my state, there is a child care subsidy....but just when you get to the point where you are making some money and your annual income goes 1 dollar over their limit, they immediately cut you off and you have to pay the FULL cost...which is like having a mortgage on top of your rent.

Ask me how I know.

The people that REALLY need help don't get it.

I've always said I could get more help if I quit my job, applied for benefits and sat at home. SMH

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lynaz24 View Post
    Welfare should not be ended but DEFINATELY time limited. As a social worker I have seen people on Welfare who continue to work and strive to get off welfare and use it for what it was meant for..Then I also see people who just live off Welfare with no aspiration of bettering themselves.

It Welfare was time limited I think you would see more people take an active role in trying to make sure they can sustain themselves once it is cut off, but of course there are still those undeducated people who just won't get it together.

Yes, the church is supposed to care for the poor and such, but most of these children will wind up in the CPS system and we will wind up paying for foster care, relative etc..

So there is a balance..
    thanks for giving us your input..

The time limit sounds like a good idea.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Devin For This Useful Post:

Rikki (09-09-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,149 Posts

is the church equipped?well if preachers were to give up their million dollar mansions,private jets,over priced vehicles and stop buying there wives new "bling" every day with the church money then i'd say yeah....theres gotta be a million churches in America.Most churches are tax free entities anyway...its about time they gave back.lol.
    Unfortunately Devin, TAX free doesn't mean BILL free..lol
    Follow me on TWITTER...I DARE YOU..LOL
    www.twitter.com/davnoblemusik

Free Music www.soundcloud.com/davnoblemusik
    Peep my blog www.ecclectica.tumblr.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynaz24 For This Useful Post:

Rikki (09-09-2008)

Thanks

If you're a single mother, paying rent, utilities, child care..there's not a lot of help you can get. You have to be basically working a minimum wage job to get food stamps. To get MONEY, you have to be JOBLESS.

In my state, there is a child care subsidy....but just when you get to the point where you are making some money and your annual income goes 1 dollar over their limit, they immediately cut you off and you have to pay the FULL cost...which is like having a mortgage on top of your rent.

Ask me how I know.

The people that REALLY need help don't get it.

I've always said I could get more help if I quit my job, applied for benefits and sat at home. SMH
    hmmmmm...that is very interesting.So its more beneficial for you financially to stay at home and not work than it is to actually get a job?

Thread Information