Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    Your right, alienating yourself for the sole purpose of gearing your network towards one race group, from one race group, is not even close to separatism.

Would you define separatism as you understand then?
    i dont see the problem here with a BET.that shows black entertainment.if i where creating a network aimed at black people that showed black people id call it BET too.it makes perfect sense.its not a issue where i hate white people or want to be away from them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    perhaps im confused.seeing how u quoted marcus garvey i assume that seperatism is when
    Blacks have their own thing and Whites have theirs.similar to jim crow.but transcending to all facets of life.not just a toilet.
    Marcus Garvey was a Black nationalist, a different form of the separatism that I'm speaking of with BET.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Links View Post
    Wow!!!!
    Well Links, what do you want me to say? That I respect Garvey? Well I don't. He was a racist. You can search for yourself about his views of the KKK and "whitey".
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

No, I don't believe separatism was good then. I understand it was necessary, but I don't think it was good, at least to the extent that Marcus Garvey and his ilk wanted to take it. But separatism them is not the same as it is today. So if we are defining separatism as separating from America and forming our own nation, no, I don't think that was good then. But the separatism today is more in cultural identity and racial segregation. I don't think it's a good thing for reasons I've already stated.
    But HBCU's and Black History Month can't be lumped in with Black Nationalism/Marcus Garvey, back to Africa ideology. That's two separate things. Those are two separate "separtism". Again, Whites separated us from themselves. And we responded. And in IMO, that was good and neccessary.

As far as today, modern separtism is still neccessary. And by separtism, I mean, creating things that meet the needs of a certain audience, which in this case are Black people.

In my city, we have Black talk radio. It's neccessary because White radio is not going to talk about "our" issues unless it's some big racial thing like Jena 6. Same thing with the Black newspapers in my city. Again, the media has a certain audience and it's not aimed at Black people.

Just like Holy Hip Hop. We're not going to get much shine from the secular. So we create our own "separate" thing to meet those needs.

I don't see any comparison with a genre of entertainment with that of a cultural and racial one. What is that adjective saying?

Sports Only
    Comedy Only
    Music Only
    Black Only
    It's describing a genre of entertainment. Black Entertainment Television. Entertainment that is aimed at a particular audience, have a mostly Black cast, etc. That aims at the culture of a particular group, Black people. Just like ESPN is describing a genre of entertainment that aimed at a particular audience (sports fans).
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    But HBCU's and Black History Month can't be lumped in with Black Nationalism/Marcus Garvey, back to Africa ideology. That's two separate things. Those are two separate "separtism". Again, Whites separated us from themselves. And we responded. And in IMO, that was good and neccessary.

As far as today, modern separtism is still neccessary. And by separtism, I mean, creating things that meet the needs of a certain audience, which in this case are Black people.

In my city, we have Black talk radio. It's neccessary because White radio is not going to talk about "our" issues unless it's some big racial thing like Jena 6. Same thing with the Black newspapers in my city. Again, the media has a certain audience and it's not aimed at Black people.

Just like Holy Hip Hop. We're not going to get much shine from the secular. So we create our own "separate" thing to meet those needs.

It's describing a genre of entertainment. Black Entertainment Television. Entertainment that is aimed at a particular audience, have a mostly Black cast, etc. That aims at the culture of a particular group, Black people. Just like ESPN is describing a genre of entertainment that aimed at a particular audience (sports fans).
    agreed.it is still necessary in certain situations.leveling the playing ground.

Thanks

i wouldnt call Marcus Garvey a racist.maybe he was just....."A Man of his Day".

Thanks

It's still separatism and racist. They don't call it "White Talk Radio". And we forget, which is what I really don't like, that we lump all things "black" into one pile as if we all agree. So we shouldn't call something "Black this or that" as if to say that ALL "Blacks" think and feel this way. Clearly from this thread we don't. We are diverse, we're not the same, even if we have the same racial identity. What are these "Black Issues" that we discuss? Maybe I'm not affected the same way you are. Maybe I agree with "whitey". Is my issue no longer a "Black" Issue? What about Politics? You have Shelby Steele on one side and Manning Marables on another, whose issue is the "Black" issue? Or are they just issues? There is no "Black" issue? There are just issues.

No one is offended by their being an ALL sports channel. People are offended by an ALL black channel. How is that not racist? If whites were to do it we'd have a fit. Our self appointed champions Sharpton and Jackson would be all over it. Black Leaders? You know what we call those who call themselves "White Leaders"? Racists. How hypocritical of us.

Thanks

i wouldnt call Marcus Garvey a racist.maybe he was just....."A Man of his Day".
    lol

But even though you are joking(which i hope you are), there are people that would find his behavior acceptable. Why? Because he was black, and in some peoples eyes, blacks can do no wrong. Because of our victimhood immoral and destructive actions are seen as "understandable".

If I were white, I'd be flogged for saying these things. That's a shame. White are so pressured into feeling guilty that they can't even say a word about it, cause if they do, they get fired or called racist.
    Last edited by BondServant; 02-02-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks

It's still separatism and racist. They don't call it "White Talk Radio". And we forget, which is what I really don't like, that we lump all things "black" into one pile as if we all agree. So we shouldn't call something "Black this or that" as if to say that ALL "Blacks" think and feel this way. Clearly from this thread we don't. We are diverse, we're not the same, even if we have the same racial identity. What are these "Black Issues" that we discuss? Maybe I'm not affected the same way you are. Maybe I agree with "whitey". Is my issue no longer a "Black" Issue? What about Politics? You have Shelby Steele on one side and Manning Marables on another, whose issue is the "Black" issue? Or are they just issues? There is no "Black" issue? There are just issues.

No one is offended by their being an ALL sports channel. People are offended by an ALL black channel. How is that not racist? If whites were to do it we'd have a fit. Our self appointed champions Sharpton and Jackson would be all over it. Black Leaders? You know what we call those who call themselves "White Leaders"? Racists. How hypocritical of us.
    Who is offended by an All black Channel?arent there All white Channels?dont black people complain about NBC or ABC?come on bro.your arguments are weak.maybe you are just seeing different because u used to be in that "marcus garvey" mode.but dont get mad at us because we dont see the Racism in a HBCU or a BET.especially when i dont see the racism in a FORBES(AKA WHITE enterprise)like i said i think its good when we are providing oppurtunity to ALL to level the playing field instead of white people just getting the chances...

Thanks

lol

But even though you are joking(which i hope you are), there are people that would find his behavior acceptable. Why? Because he was black, and in some peoples eyes, blacks can do no wrong. Because of our victimhood immoral and destructive actions are seen as "understandable".

If I were white, I'd be flogged for saying these things. That's a shame. White are so pressured into feeling guilty that they can't even say a word about it, cause if they do, they get fired or called racist.
    no i am not joking.just like theres a certain group of people that can justify the actions of ***** ******* on the basis that he was just being a "man of his day"just in those peoples eyes a person with good ******** can do no wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,800 Posts

I am the husband of an elementary school teacher (currently 4th grade, has also taught 2nd and 3rd) and I can tell you that history being taught in school today is a joke.

I have seen with my own eyes text books that only give a blurb about slavery and to add insult to injury say that slavery "wasn't that bad". Keep in mind these are text books that are used in other schools across the country.

Why isn't history taught about Lewis Latimer who improved upon Edisons light bulb to get it to last longer than only a few days. Or how about Garrett Morgan who created the traffic light. I only mention these names because they had a profound effect on American life and History. The majority of time when black history is taught all you hear about are MLK and Frederick Douglas. Until the history of African Americans is included in American history I don't see a problem with Black History Month.
    I agree. What they teach in school is a serious joke and doesn't include the Truth. Have you ever read the books about the Black people who owned Black Slaves in the South. Which was a majority in some regions of the South? Blacks owning other Blacks and no, it was Black empowerment. So, your schools books in the Public School system are huge jokes and full of covered up nonsense.

Either way, Race is a constructed concept from a child of Satan perhaps who coined this term to aide in people seperating themselves from others not based on Worldviews or Religion, but skin color. It's a bunch of hogwash that America is infecting the entire world with, especially American Television. It's ridiculous. Why can't we actually be one nation under God? Sin=Racism/Prejudice... The reason we can't see it this way is b/c we are always trying have our people from our group recognized over somebody else people. Instead of recognizing them as just People created by our same creator. It seems the Blacks came on here fast as heck to brag about their people and how they are overlooked and the WHITE MAN gets 11 months of props... Just plain ole silly if you ask me.... Yet everybody got Christ in their rhymes, yet in the next breath attack his CHURCH!!! Puh Please...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    Now it's cool if Brothers Cross over/But wat's the point of crossing over if you don't take the CROSS OVER~ shai

Thanks

In my opinion, it's bad because it alienates us to other things, in the thinking that we must always support "black". We miss out on the achievements of others. And it does become an us vs. them issue Dev. Look at this thread. All things considered mainstream are considered "white". February is Black Month, September is Hispanic Month, but all other months belong to "whitey". Us Vs. Them.

I have no problem with you reading "Black Enterprise", but don't you think that's limiting ourselves? Business wise, why alienate yourself. If I were white, I wouldn't read it, nor if I were white would I read a magazine called "White Enterprise". It's a decent magazine, but their are other practices and ideals out there as well.

By the continuance of this month it undermines it. It will always be Black History month, instead of American History month.

At a time, yeah, sure, maybe it was needed, but no longer. I believe it's racist, and borderline nationalistic.

We can disagree on the celebration of it. But if you are constantly looking for reasons to be proud of your race, looks to me that you may think yourself inferior(not you in particular).

I blame whites too though, for nurturing this kind of thinking, because they have been made to feel guilty.
    Are you aware of the history behind Negro history week, which gave birth to Black History Month?
    Cultural Renaissance Through Spiritual Revival- http://www.blackpastor.org

http://facebook.com/brothakali

Thanks

Well Links, what do you want me to say? That I respect Garvey? Well I don't. He was a racist. You can search for yourself about his views of the KKK and "whitey".
    I respect your opinion. Not saying I agree with it but I respect it. I guess I have a different view of him being of Jamaican heritage also knowing much of Garveys history and the history of colonialism in Jamaica. Much of these things I know shaped Garveys views and hindsight looking back at times he was living in I can't say he was racist.
    “Christians are not patched-up sinners, they are new creations.”

— Edwin Louis Cole

HCR Veterano
    Thanks

God has brought us from a very long way. Thats why i celebrate black history month. I would never forget what God has brought us out of if it wasn't for God i would still be picking cotton in the 18th century thats how i view it. I dont see whats the problem with watching how God has brought us out of things in the passed even though i wasn't there i would be there if someone in those days wouldn't have prayed that a change has happened. Not just black people but everyone in america should be celebrating this month every race just to see how things have changed in america and we wouldn't have to worry about it being a "one race thing" no one said only one race and that's the black race can celebrate this month they seperate themselves because they didn't have to deal with what we have dealt with in the past. I appreciate what God has done for us in the past.

Thanks

I regard him and his philosophy as no different than the KKK, which he himself identified with.
    lol @ this Uncle Tom..smh
    Cultural Renaissance Through Spiritual Revival- http://www.blackpastor.org

http://facebook.com/brothakali

Thanks

Who is offended by an All black Channel?arent there All white Channels?dont black people complain about NBC or ABC?come on bro.your arguments are weak.maybe you are just seeing different because u used to be in that "marcus garvey" mode.but dont get mad at us because we dont see the Racism in a HBCU or a BET.especially when i dont see the racism in a FORBES(AKA WHITE enterprise)like i said i think its good when we are providing oppurtunity to ALL to level the playing field instead of white people just getting the chances...
    Whites are offended by an All black channel. Open your eyes. I'm offended by an All black channel. The mere fact that we even call it "Black Entertainment" is ridiculous enough. Listen to my point. If whites were to "call" their networks WHITE ENTERTAINMENT, you wouldn't have a problem with that? They would be acting on the same standards as you.

How can we complain about NBC or ABC? We have a Blacks Only station. Hypocrites! Then don't get mad at me when I DO see racism in it. How is it leveling the playing field Devin when you say only certain people can play?

ABC stands for American Broadcasting Company and NBC stands for National Broadcasting Company. Those names include all of America and the Nation, why can't we?

Thanks

I respect your opinion. Not saying I agree with it but I respect it. I guess I have a different view of him being of Jamaican heritage also knowing much of Garveys history and the history of colonialism in Jamaica. Much of these things I know shaped Garveys views and hindsight looking back at times he was living in I can't say he was racist.
    I understand the times and conditions that he lived in Links. I read his work constantly and approved of it. I know why his views were shaped as such, however, there were others that were in the same and even worse conditions but did not come away with the attitude and philosophy that he did. And if he can identify himself like he did with the KKK and you not see that as racist, then I cannot respect that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KFB View Post
    lol @ this Uncle Tom..smh
    Are you speaking about me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KFB View Post
    Are you aware of the history behind Negro history week, which gave birth to Black History Month?
    Yes I'm aware of it's founding by Carter G. Woodson.

Why? Are my views supposed to change?

Thanks

no i am not joking.just like theres a certain group of people that can justify the actions of ***** ******* on the basis that he was just being a "man of his day"just in those peoples eyes a person with good ******** can do no wrong.
    How can you see fault in him then? Again, it's okay for blacks to do it, but not any other groups.

Thread Information