Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 249
  1. #21
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Well, of course I wasn't a slave and yes I have rights. And yes, I'm an American. What's your point with the questions?
    Then you can't keep pulling that card about what DIDN'T happen to you. Those things are no reasons as to why we can't embrace Independence Day as our own. I've been an American all my life.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  2. #22
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Huh? Are you familiar with the origins of Black History Month? ANd if you are, then how did you come to that conclusion historically? And please study up on the history of HBCU. That is not the reason. You can't ignore the racism of this country. HBCU's were neccessary and not something where we tried to "separate ourselves". The laws separated us. Not us try to separate ourselves.
    I'm familiar with the origins. What conclusion should I have come to? I'm familiar with my history bro, just because I come to different conclusions doesn't mean I'm not "studied up" on something.

    Separate but equal then, separate but equal now.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  3. #23
    HCR Ole' Head Ras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Motown, Slum Village
    Posts
    26,041
    Thanks
    8,140
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    Then you can't keep pulling that card about what DIDN'T happen to you. Those things are no reasons as to why we can't embrace Independence Day as our own. I've been an American all my life.
    You can embrace Independence Day all you want. My point is though, we shouldn't ignore the celebration of freedom, didn't include Black slaves. Our Black ancestors who were slaves weren't celebrating. That's my point.
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

  4. #24
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    In my opinion, it's bad because it alienates us to other things, in the thinking that we must always support "black". We miss out on the achievements of others. And it does become an us vs. them issue Dev. Look at this thread. All things considered mainstream are considered "white". February is Black Month, September is Hispanic Month, but all other months belong to "whitey". Us Vs. Them.

    I have no problem with you reading "Black Enterprise", but don't you think that's limiting ourselves? Business wise, why alienate yourself. If I were white, I wouldn't read it, nor if I were white would I read a magazine called "White Enterprise". It's a decent magazine, but their are other practices and ideals out there as well.

    By the continuance of this month it undermines it. It will always be Black History month, instead of American History month.

    At a time, yeah, sure, maybe it was needed, but no longer. I believe it's racist, and borderline nationalistic.

    We can disagree on the celebration of it. But if you are constantly looking for reasons to be proud of your race, looks to me that you may think yourself inferior(not you in particular).

    I blame whites too though, for nurturing this kind of thinking, because they have been made to feel guilty.

    i disagree.as a matter of fact i also read Forbes.and that magazine is 99.99% white.As a matter of fact..Forbes could be considered "White Enterprise" because when you open it thats pretty much all you see.so its not limiting my self.actually me only reading Forbes would be limiting myself seeing how rarely you will find someone that is black.not saying they dont do it but its rare.so thats why IMO they need a Black Enterprise magazine.the same reason why we need other "Black" things.because for a while White people had their own(and still do in some ways)system and it was set up to where black people couldnt be apart of it unless we set up our own.you can Call it US vs WHITEY but its the truth.and in some ways its White peopls fault that there is even a BHM.if the contributions were recognized from the beginning then it wouldnt be a need for a BHM.if the Corporate world at that time was more fair to ALL people then there wouldnt be a need for a Black Enterprise.For me to want to see Blacks acknowledged isnt a case of me being against white people.i think when people in general work hard their contributions should be acknowledged wether black or white.To me its a case of leveling the playing field.

  5. #25
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    You can embrace Independence Day all you want. My point is though, we shouldn't ignore the celebration of freedom, didn't include Black slaves. Our Black ancestors who were slaves weren't celebrating. That's my point.
    How do you know they weren't? Do you know someone from the 18th century? lol
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  6. #26
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    i disagree.as a matter of fact i also read Forbes.and that magazine is 99.99% white.As a matter of fact..Forbes could be considered "White Enterprise" because when you open it thats pretty much all you see.so its not limiting my self.actually me only reading Forbes would be limiting myself seeing how rarely you will find someone that is black.not saying they dont do it but its rare.so thats why IMO they need a Black Enterprise magazine.the same reason why we need other "Black" things.because for a while White people had their own(and still do in some ways)system and it was set up to where black people couldnt be apart of it unless we set up our own.you can Call it US vs WHITEY but its the truth.and in some ways its White peopls fault that there is even a BHM.if the contributions were recognized from the beginning then it wouldnt be a need for a BHM.if the Corporate world at that time was more fair to ALL people then there wouldnt be a need for a Black Enterprise.For me to want to see Blacks acknowledged isnt a case of me being against white people.i think when people in general work hard their contributions should be acknowledged wether black or white.To me its a case of leveling the playing field.

    And Devin, I agree with this post, at A TIME, this was needed, but IMHO, it is no longer needed.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  7. #27
    HCR Veterano DJ Links's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 916 Times in 379 Posts

    Default

    I am the husband of an elementary school teacher (currently 4th grade, has also taught 2nd and 3rd) and I can tell you that history being taught in school today is a joke.

    I have seen with my own eyes text books that only give a blurb about slavery and to add insult to injury say that slavery "wasn't that bad". Keep in mind these are text books that are used in other schools across the country.

    Why isn't history taught about Lewis Latimer who improved upon Edisons light bulb to get it to last longer than only a few days. Or how about Garrett Morgan who created the traffic light. I only mention these names because they had a profound effect on American life and History. The majority of time when black history is taught all you hear about are MLK and Frederick Douglas. Until the history of African Americans is included in American history I don't see a problem with Black History Month.
    “Christians are not patched-up sinners, they are new creations.”

    — Edwin Louis Cole

  8. #28
    HCR Ole' Head Ras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Motown, Slum Village
    Posts
    26,041
    Thanks
    8,140
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    I'm familiar with the origins. What conclusion should I have come to? I'm familiar with my history bro, just because I come to different conclusions doesn't mean I'm not "studied up" on something.

    Separate but equal then, separate but equal now.
    Well, if you're familiar, then the conclusion should be that those things were neccessary. Black History Month, Black colleges, etc. From what you posted you seem to paint it as we're trying to "separate ourselves" which is not true. They separated us.

    As far as BET, in it's origins (not currently) it was neccessary, because Blacks were not represented alot on TV. And still on the major networks, not very much. Again, I'm not talking about the garbage that's on BET now. It's not different from any other specialized channels (ESPN for sports, Lifetime for women, BET for Black centered programming).
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

  9. #29
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Well, if you're familiar, then the conclusion should be that those things were neccessary. Black History Month, Black colleges, etc. From what you posted you seem to paint it as we're trying to "separate ourselves" which is not true. They separated us.
    I've never said the things weren't necessary at that time. I'm not trying to paint anything, I came out and said that it was separatism.

    As far as BET, in it's origins (not currently) it was neccessary, because Blacks were not represented alot on TV. And still on the major networks, not very much. Again, I'm not talking about the garbage that's on BET now. It's not different from any other specialized channels (ESPN for sports, Lifetime for women, BET for Black centered programming).
    It wasn't necessary to call it "Black" Entertainment Television.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  10. #30
    HCR Ole' Head Ras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Motown, Slum Village
    Posts
    26,041
    Thanks
    8,140
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    How do you know they weren't? Do you know someone from the 18th century? lol
    Just call it a hunch. It be kinda hard to celebrate when you're not even viewed as a full fledged human being at that time. And slavery was on and poppin. (Man, I am so tempted to up last weeks Boondocks episode. But I'll leave that alone.)
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

  11. #31
    HCR Veterano WhyMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked 928 Times in 550 Posts

    Default

    My Question has always been, during Black History Month where are people learning about black history? I know BET will have a 30-60 sec segment commercials, but where else are people learning Black History during Black History Month? I know when I was in school, they didn't switch there focus to Black History from their normal schedule during that month.

    I did have a teacher in 7th grade, who played roots for the whole month.
    I don’t deserve it, I’m worthless, but treated as perfect
    I sin more than I wanna, but my sins are a goner
    I was lost, but redeemed, then adopted and cleaned
    WhyMe? WhyMe? ~ Trip Lee

  12. #32
    HCR Ole' Head Ras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Motown, Slum Village
    Posts
    26,041
    Thanks
    8,140
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    I've never said the things weren't necessary at that time. I'm not trying to paint anything, I came out and said that it was separatism.



    It wasn't necessary to call it "Black" Entertainment Television.
    Was the separatism needed and good then?

    If it's geared at Blacks why not put it in the title. I'm sure you wouldn't say that about ESPN, "Comedy" Central, "Music" Television. It's an adjective to describe what the channel about.
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

  13. #33
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    Was the separatism needed and good then?
    No, I don't believe separatism was good then. I understand it was necessary, but I don't think it was good, at least to the extent that Marcus Garvey and his ilk wanted to take it. But separatism them is not the same as it is today. So if we are defining separatism as separating from America and forming our own nation, no, I don't think that was good then. But the separatism today is more in cultural identity and racial segregation. I don't think it's a good thing for reasons I've already stated.

    If it's geared at Blacks why not put it in the title. I'm sure you wouldn't say that about ESPN, "Comedy" Central, "Music" Television. It's an adjective to describe what the channel about.
    I don't see any comparison with a genre of entertainment with that of a cultural and racial one. What is that adjective saying?

    Sports Only
    Comedy Only
    Music Only
    Black Only
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  14. #34
    HCR Veterano DJ Links's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 916 Times in 379 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    No, I don't believe separatism was good then. I understand it was necessary, but I don't think it was good, at least to the extent that Marcus Garvey and his ilk wanted to take it. But separatism them is not the same as it is today. So if we are defining separatism as separating from America and forming our own nation, no, I don't think that was good then. But the separatism today is more in cultural identity and racial segregation. I don't think it's a good thing for reasons I've already stated.



    I don't see any comparison with a genre of entertainment with that of a cultural and racial one. What is that adjective saying?

    Sports Only
    Comedy Only
    Music Only
    Black Only
    What is your view of Marcus Garvey and his ideals of seperatism back then?
    “Christians are not patched-up sinners, they are new creations.”

    — Edwin Louis Cole

  15. #35
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    No, I don't believe separatism was good then. I understand it was necessary, but I don't think it was good, at least to the extent that Marcus Garvey and his ilk wanted to take it. But separatism them is not the same as it is today. So if we are defining separatism as separating from America and forming our own nation, no, I don't think that was good then. But the separatism today is more in cultural identity and racial segregation. I don't think it's a good thing for reasons I've already stated.



    I don't see any comparison with a genre of entertainment with that of a cultural and racial one. What is that adjective saying?

    Sports Only
    Comedy Only
    Music Only
    Black Only
    i dont see how its a problem to call a network that is geared towards black people and shows entertainment from black people "BET".to me that would make perfect sense.its not separatism.

  16. #36
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Links View Post
    What is your view of Marcus Garvey and his ideals of seperatism back then?
    I regard him and his philosophy as no different than the KKK, which he himself identified with.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  17. #37
    HCR Veterano BondServant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    University of Missouri-Columbia(MIZZOU)
    Posts
    4,754
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 448 Times in 257 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    i dont see how its a problem to call a network that is geared towards black people and shows entertainment from black people "BET".to me that would make perfect sense.its not separatism.
    Your right, alienating yourself for the sole purpose of gearing your network towards one race group, from one race group, is not even close to separatism.

    Would you define separatism as you understand then?
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

  18. #38
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    Your right, alienating yourself for the sole purpose of gearing your network towards one race group, from one race group, is not even close to separatism.

    Would you define separatism as you understand then?
    perhaps im confused.seeing how u quoted marcus garvey i assume that seperatism is when
    Blacks have their own thing and Whites have theirs.similar to jim crow.but transcending to all facets of life.not just a toilet.

  19. #39
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    Your right, alienating yourself for the sole purpose of gearing your network towards one race group, from one race group, is not even close to separatism.

    Would you define separatism as you understand then?
    are you being sarcastic?

  20. #40
    HCR Veterano DJ Links's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 916 Times in 379 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    I regard him and his philosophy as no different than the KKK, which he himself identified with.
    Wow!!!!
    “Christians are not patched-up sinners, they are new creations.”

    — Edwin Louis Cole

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •