Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,800 Posts

Default White History Month!!!

Yo,

I wonder if this would sit well with Black people, since Black people just have to have a month to celebrate their achievements. People promote equality in one breathe and undermine it within the next.

The question is, do we believe the Bible is true when it says we are all sons and daughters of Adam. From one race and that is, the Human Race. If so, why do we promote competiveness and one upping one another by acknowledging the achievements of one group over the other? Why can't we celebrate achievements of Americans?

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    Now it's cool if Brothers Cross over/But wat's the point of crossing over if you don't take the CROSS OVER~ shai

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 1,239 Posts

I dont see the problem with it. From kindergarten to 12th grade, most of the history classes are taught from 1 perspective, and mostly concentrates on 1 group of people. The problem with the education system in America is that it is very closed minded. We learn christopher columbus discovered america, when native americans have been living here for hundreds of years. We're taught about the european middle ages, the roman empire, and greek mythology, yet we never hear about African, Chinese, Indian, ect.. cultures or government.

This is why i dont mind black history month because it gives the opportunity for people in this country to learn about other americans that made an impact in the past. I dont see how recognizing and learning about other people's accomplishments can be divisive. I believe March is women's history month, and as a man why should i become angry because i have to learn about what women were able to accomplish. Because for the most part every so called hero or important figure in history have been men. So i wouldn't use this month as a time of division, rather i'd use it as an opportunity to learn and grow.
    I give ceaser his just due; after that i'm done; my walk is preparation for my life on the run (cel-d)
    i want to punch bill maher in the face/ but its politically incorrect to altercate (Wize)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,128 Times in 3,532 Posts

Until the history of blacks is included in the same context as every other historical event, there will always be a need to acknowledge Black History, whether it's done through setting aside a month, or something else.

I would love it if we didn't have to have a Black History month, but it seems that it is still needed. How long will it be needed, who knows.
    "Oh God, you are my God and I will ever praise you."

HCR Veterano Member saintjoetheservant's Avatar
    Thanks

wow........
    SoundsAndGear.com - music production news, tips, videos, and reviews.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,961 Times in 6,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yo,

I wonder if this would sit well with Black people, since Black people just have to have a month to celebrate their achievements. People promote equality in one breathe and undermine it within the next.

The question is, do we believe the Bible is true when it says we are all sons and daughters of Adam. From one race and that is, the Human Race. If so, why do we promote competiveness and one upping one another by acknowledging the achievements of one group over the other? Why can't we celebrate achievements of Americans?

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    The other 11 months are white history month. I know white people who have never heard of Malcolm X. This is a month to educate all races on the history of Black people. I see no problem. Sure, we're all one race. But that doesn't mean racism doesn't exist nor should do things to remedy against that sin.
    New Video:Proceed With Caution Blog
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Young Bol
    Thanks

Yo,

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    I see no way, at least in what you have presented, that competitiveness is being promoted. What it sounds like your insinuating is some form of supremacy being displayed, which I also disagree with. And we do celebrate the achievements of America, it's called Independence Day. Remember, aliens, Jeff Goldblum, etc etc.
    Insert profound quote here==>

Thanks

Yo,

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    White people are celebrated all year round in all things, so I think it's important that we celebrate the success of black folk. For instance, most colleges are filled with white people, so you need HBC's for black people!!! So people already have white history month, it's Jan,March, April, May, June, July, August, Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec!! Black people are inferior in this country.

Thanks

Yo,

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    i'm in agreemement with this man.

Thanks

wow..smh..lol
    Cultural Renaissance Through Spiritual Revival- http://www.blackpastor.org

http://facebook.com/brothakali

Thanks

Seal, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Independence Day is an American Celebration, not just for white persons. This is our country too!

Black History Month is a separatist idea.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeyjey34 View Post
    Until the history of blacks is included in the same context as every other historical event, there will always be a need to acknowledge Black History, whether it's done through setting aside a month, or something else.

I would love it if we didn't have to have a Black History month, but it seems that it is still needed. How long will it be needed, who knows.
    agreed.

Thanks

well Seal supports John Edwards....so.....ya know.

but seriously...i dont see how Black History Month is a seperatists idea(thats aimed at bondservant).The idea is to celebrate and inform people of the contributions african americans provided to America.White people dont need a "White History Month".They already got all the HISTORY books in School.But i think we should just Merge it alltogether...History is History.I think it should be tought wether black,white or hispanic.

Thanks

Yo,

Just a thought...

Grace and Peace,
    seal
    so the Achivements of Black People dont count as the Achievements of AMERICANS?you mean there is a difference?hmmmmm...i knew you was like that...smh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BondServant View Post
    Seal, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Independence Day is an American Celebration, not just for white persons. This is our country too!

Black History Month is a separatist idea.
    But we've only been recognized as Americans with the same rights as other Americans for about 30 plus years. As far as Independence Day, I wonder how many slaves were celebrating that day?
    Gemstones Review" "2 piece like Chris Childs did to Kobe / Catch me in the corner store, quarters for Shinobi"Action Bronson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post

but seriously...i dont see how Black History Month is a seperatists idea(thats aimed at bondservant).The idea is to celebrate and inform people of the contributions african americans provided to America.White people dont need a "White History Month".They already got all the HISTORY books in School.But i think we should just Merge it alltogether...History is History.I think it should be tought wether black,white or hispanic.
    The Idea is to seek isolation and alienate whites. We try to separate ourselves culturally and racially. Economically as well. BET, HBCU, Black this, Black that. What's funny is, the same thing I "learned" during black history month, are the same things I learned the previous months. We don't need a month in order to make ourselves feel better, at least I don't.
    Jesus asked them: "Who do you say I am?" They said: "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground of our being, the ontological foundation of our selfhood revealed." Jesus replied: "Huh?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ras View Post
    But we've only been recognized as Americans with the same rights as other Americans for about 30 plus years. As far as Independence Day, I wonder how many slaves were celebrating that day?
    Were you a slave? Do you have your rights? Are you an American?

Thanks

The Idea is to seek isolation and alienate whites. We try to separate ourselves culturally and racially. Economically as well. BET, HBCU, Black this, Black that. What's funny is, the same thing I "learned" during black history month, are the same things I learned the previous months. We don't need a month in order to make ourselves feel better, at least I don't.
    yet but how is that Bad?i dont see it as a US vs Them when it comes to acknowleding Blacks and the impact we have.i like to read Black Enterprise does that make me a Seperatist because i wanna see how our Black people are doing in business?

Plus you ASSUME the Black History Month is a month to make "ourselves feel better".Maybe thats for some black people but not for me.i dont even care about BHM but i know the purpose of it is to celebrate the accomplishments of Black people.

Thanks

Were you a slave? Do you have your rights? Are you an American?
    Well, of course I wasn't a slave and yes I have rights. And yes, I'm an American. What's your point with the questions?

Thanks

Huh? Are you familiar with the origins of Black History Month? ANd if you are, then how did you come to that conclusion historically? And please study up on the history of HBCU. That is not the reason. You can't ignore the racism of this country. HBCU's were neccessary and not something where we tried to "separate ourselves". The laws separated us. Not us try to separate ourselves.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    yet but how is that Bad?i dont see it as a US vs Them when it comes to acknowleding Blacks and the impact we have.i like to read Black Enterprise does that make me a Seperatist because i wanna see how our Black people are doing in business?

Plus you ASSUME the Black History Month is a month to make "ourselves feel better".Maybe thats for some black people but not for me.i dont even care about BHM but i know the purpose of it is to celebrate the accomplishments of Black people.
    In my opinion, it's bad because it alienates us to other things, in the thinking that we must always support "black". We miss out on the achievements of others. And it does become an us vs. them issue Dev. Look at this thread. All things considered mainstream are considered "white". February is Black Month, September is Hispanic Month, but all other months belong to "whitey". Us Vs. Them.

I have no problem with you reading "Black Enterprise", but don't you think that's limiting ourselves? Business wise, why alienate yourself. If I were white, I wouldn't read it, nor if I were white would I read a magazine called "White Enterprise". It's a decent magazine, but their are other practices and ideals out there as well.

By the continuance of this month it undermines it. It will always be Black History month, instead of American History month.

At a time, yeah, sure, maybe it was needed, but no longer. I believe it's racist, and borderline nationalistic.

We can disagree on the celebration of it. But if you are constantly looking for reasons to be proud of your race, looks to me that you may think yourself inferior(not you in particular).

I blame whites too though, for nurturing this kind of thinking, because they have been made to feel guilty.

Thread Information