Hey what's up,

I've been a Christian for about 2years and something I've
    been struggling with i've noticed is being able to pray out loud. I know
    it may sound trivial but for me it is so much easier to pray
    from the heart silently. I guess the problem is actually
    saying and vocalizing what's on my heart to pray. This has
    kind of brought me down as of late because there are times
    at church where we're in groups and we pray together
    aloud..and Im kinda 'stuck' praying silently.

I've been working on this for a long time now, I thought at
    first it was unnecessary 'Fear of Man' that was the problem.
    I meditated on chapters from the Bible, I thought that was
    it. But even when I'm in the privacy of my own room or
    driving to work in my car I try and practice to voice my
    heart at that time in prayer but I usually always get caught
    up and stammer on words to speak. I dunno maybe it's cuz I
    think it's awesome and amazing to be able to communicate to
    the God Who's changing the skies from gray to blue.

This is more than just praying, tho. I've always been a
    quiet guy my whole life. I generally find it hard to voice
    my opinions on certain things and it's more than unusual
    for me to walk up to someone and start a witnessing
    encounter. I struggle with witnessing as well. I mean this
    is the kid that got asked to go to the prom in highschool,
    not the other way around lol. It's tough though, it's kind
    of discouraging and it REALLY gets me down that I can't pray
    out loud for requests.

Usually when I pray before I go to bed it's a good 45minutes
    of prayer, partly out loud, mostly from the heart. I want to
    be able to pray outloud from the Heart. If you could help at
    all that'd be appreciated. I don't really know what to do in this situation.

Gr@ce & Pe@ce

Thanks

I will pray for you fam, I kinda understand what you mean, there are times I don't know what to pray about or how to pray when it comes to praying with someone out loud. But just seek God's face about it.

Also about getting out there to wittnes or walk up to someone to start a conversation, I use to struggle with that also but I have learn how to start a converstation with someone when I witness and when I introduce myself to someone ( I still struggle a little) But I prayed and things are getting better. I will pray for you.

I know that I struggle but I pray to God, trust that he is with me (when I witness to ppl). I am going to keep you in my prayers
    Trust God. God bless you

asia

HCR Familia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albraggs View Post
    I will pray for you fam, I kinda understand what you mean, there are times I don't know what to pray about or how to pray when it comes to praying with someone out loud. But just seek God's face about it.

Also about getting out there to wittnes or walk up to someone to start a conversation, I use to struggle with that also but I have learn how to start a converstation with someone when I witness and when I introduce myself to someone ( I still struggle a little) But I prayed and things are getting better. I will pray for you.

I know that I struggle but I pray to God, trust that he is with me (when I witness to ppl). I am going to keep you in my prayers
    Trust God. God bless you

asia

Thank you, asia, I def. appreciate it. Yea this is somethin I've definitely prayed about, especially when it gets me down, this has been for about a year since I noticed this situation.

Young Bol
    Thanks

i'll pray for you too

HCR Veterano
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 962 Posts

I know I might sound like a self-help guru, but I think you just have to acept that you are quiet. I pray silently too. Unlike what you might see here, I am NOT eloquent in speech. When I try to pray, it's very short and I stammer too. However, I find it so much better to pray in my heart or journal it all out to God.

And about witnessing, as a quiet person, I find it harder than others. But when God calls us to do something, we've got to do it. Just obey Him, and bit by bit, it will get easier over time. Don't compare yourself to others, but simply step out of your comfort zone, bit by bit. Step by step. Ask for God's help in this issue. It reminds me of my singing class. At the beginning, I was too shy to sing in front of everyone, but baby steps helped me perform at the end of the semester.

And I'll be praying for you. It sounds like you're introverted like me. And there's nothing wrong with that. You CAN witness and you can pray. *hugs*

HCR Familia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neeciu View Post
    I know I might sound like a self-help guru, but I think you just have to acept that you are quiet. I pray silently too. Unlike what you might see here, I am NOT eloquent in speech. When I try to pray, it's very short and I stammer too. However, I find it so much better to pray in my heart or journal it all out to God.

And about witnessing, as a quiet person, I find it harder than others. But when God calls us to do something, we've got to do it. Just obey Him, and bit by bit, it will get easier over time. Don't compare yourself to others, but simply step out of your comfort zone, bit by bit. Step by step. Ask for God's help in this issue. It reminds me of my singing class. At the beginning, I was too shy to sing in front of everyone, but baby steps helped me perform at the end of the semester.

And I'll be praying for you. It sounds like you're introverted like me. And there's nothing wrong with that. You CAN witness and you can pray. *hugs*
    You know, part of me was thinking the same exact thing, neeciu. Maybe that's just apart of who I am. Short prayers I'll prolly be prone to when it comes to praying out loud, kinda like Paul Washer does in a lot of his sermons.

As far as witnessing, yea I just got a bunch of tracts in the mail that I ordered from living waters so I hope I put those to use and not let them collect dust or nething. I gotta study how to properly witness and then get out there. For God's glory
    Thanks you all

Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 565 Posts

Hey bro, I first want to let you know that I will pray for you, for your encouragement and for the Lord to be glorified in your life however He sees fit...

I know that when I first started praying out loud I was DEATHLY afraid of it. Now, here, I will pause and say that I do believe that my fear was a fear of man... I was actually a false convert in a church with unsound doctrine, without a LICK of bible knowledge except that which i picked up in an effort to REFUTE Christianity when i was unsaved. I didnt know what to say. I didnt know how to pray... It was actually something that i had to force myself to do and i would be so nervous that my heart would actually begin to beat rapidly... I was always afraid because other people would pray and they would quote scripture, but i didnt know scripture, wasnt studying scripture, so of course i'm not going to randomly quote scripture in my prayer... it has changed a lot, especially once I really got saved, and really began to dig into the word and know God, but it definitely wasnt a 100% turn around immediately. i had to put things into perspective. not being afraid of man yet praying to an almighty God. realizing that i'm not praying for the sake of anyone else, but praying to God alone...

I will say, though, that there IS something about praying out loud that is very beneficial. i know at least for me, when i pray out loud, even when i am all alone, it somehow digs in deeper, forces me to put to words the things that are in my heart, and causes me to actually put thought into what i'm going to say because i have to formulate the words... if i'm just praying in my heart, i kind of get distracted sometimes, lose track of what i was talking about, ramble around, and generally it is just not as heartfelt...

i gotcha in prayer...

Thanks

prayed for you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Knyce924 View Post
    Hey what's up,

I've been a Christian for about 2years and something I've
    been struggling with i've noticed is being able to pray out loud. I know
    it may sound trivial but for me it is so much easier to pray
    from the heart silently. I guess the problem is actually
    saying and vocalizing what's on my heart to pray. This has
    kind of brought me down as of late because there are times
    at church where we're in groups and we pray together
    aloud..and Im kinda 'stuck' praying silently.

I've been working on this for a long time now, I thought at
    first it was unnecessary 'Fear of Man' that was the problem.
    I meditated on chapters from the Bible, I thought that was
    it. But even when I'm in the privacy of my own room or
    driving to work in my car I try and practice to voice my
    heart at that time in prayer but I usually always get caught
    up and stammer on words to speak. I dunno maybe it's cuz I
    think it's awesome and amazing to be able to communicate to
    the God Who's changing the skies from gray to blue.

This is more than just praying, tho. I've always been a
    quiet guy my whole life. I generally find it hard to voice
    my opinions on certain things and it's more than unusual
    for me to walk up to someone and start a witnessing
    encounter. I struggle with witnessing as well. I mean this
    is the kid that got asked to go to the prom in highschool,
    not the other way around lol. It's tough though, it's kind
    of discouraging and it REALLY gets me down that I can't pray
    out loud for requests.

Usually when I pray before I go to bed it's a good 45minutes
    of prayer, partly out loud, mostly from the heart. I want to
    be able to pray outloud from the Heart. If you could help at
    all that'd be appreciated. I don't really know what to do in this situation.

Gr@ce & Pe@ce
    I feel you fam. I have been there and I myself have quite the shy personality and stuggled with this for a little bit.

First, just to clarify there is nothing wrong with praying silently. Many instances require that you pray silently (i.e. work atmosphere). The issue would be if like you mentioned it is because of fear of man or some uncomfortability within yourself.

Also, when you pray out loud and you run out of words to say then you should not try to make up words either. God may be trying to speak to you in that instance, so selah, pause and think about that.

As far as the fear that you may have in praying out loud, it is important to block out all other thoughts and distractions, external and internal. If you are solely focused on God and not yourself or those around you then you will be able to simply pray as God leads you to.

This may seem basic, but perhaps you should pray in this method:

First acknowledge and give praise to God and His wonderous works. Acknowledge God's sovereignty and worship Him; Recognize your own humanity and weaknesses, and repent from any and all sins that were committed by you; Then make petition to God for others and yourself and others as you are being led by the Holy Spirit. Allow yourself an opportunity to hear from God and do not simply exit ther prayer stating your petition without waiting for God to respond.

Lord God, I come before you first of all just acknowledging You for who You are. Lord, You are the I AM, You are omniscient and know every situation that we go through, past, present, and future. We worship You Lord, just for who You are. Even if you took everything from us and stripped us bare, You are still worthy. Lord Christ, I repent right now for the many sins that I have committed against you and your people, especially my pride. Lord I submit to you, please give me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me so that I may be made whole in your sight. Lord God, I pray for your servant Knyce right now. Lord Jesus, embolden him to not be ashamed of you. Take away the fear of man including his own self-conscientiousness which hinders him from fully focusing on You, Lord. Jesus, please allow him to be led by your Holy Spirit in how he prays so that you will direct what he speaks vocally from his mouth. Lord God, I pray that Your will be done in this. In Jesus Christ's Holy name, Amen.

HCR Familia
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shock~Therapy View Post
    I feel you fam. I have been there and I myself have quite the shy personality and stuggled with this for a little bit.

First, just to clarify there is nothing wrong with praying silently. Many instances require that you pray silently (i.e. work atmosphere). The issue would be if like you mentioned it is because of fear of man or some uncomfortability within yourself.

Also, when you pray out loud and you run out of words to say then you should not try to make up words either. God may be trying to speak to you in that instance, so selah, pause and think about that.

As far as the fear that you may have in praying out loud, it is important to block out all other thoughts and distractions, external and internal. If you are solely focused on God and not yourself or those around you then you will be able to simply pray as God leads you to.

This may seem basic, but perhaps you should pray in this method:

First acknowledge and give praise to God and His wonderous works. Acknowledge God's sovereignty and worship Him; Recognize your own humanity and weaknesses, and repent from any and all sins that were committed by you; Then make petition to God for others and yourself and others as you are being led by the Holy Spirit. Allow yourself an opportunity to hear from God and do not simply exit ther prayer stating your petition without waiting for God to respond.

Lord God, I come before you first of all just acknowledging You for who You are. Lord, You are the I AM, You are omniscient and know every situation that we go through, past, present, and future. We worship You Lord, just for who You are. Even if you took everything from us and stripped us bare, You are still worthy. Lord Christ, I repent right now for the many sins that I have committed against you and your people, especially my pride. Lord I submit to you, please give me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me so that I may be made whole in your sight. Lord God, I pray for your servant Knyce right now. Lord Jesus, embolden him to not be ashamed of you. Take away the fear of man including his own self-conscientiousness which hinders him from fully focusing on You, Lord. Jesus, please allow him to be led by your Holy Spirit in how he prays so that you will direct what he speaks vocally from his mouth. Lord God, I pray that Your will be done in this. In Jesus Christ's Holy name, Amen.
    Thanks alot for that, ShockTherapy very good and helpful post; I appreciate it. I've been taking in all that you guys are saying trying to bounce this fear or uncertainty. Like you said, there are certain times tho where I just don't know what to say, I think that's what's tough, actually communicating prayers from the heart; I don't try and make stuff up tho..just try and figure out how to say it. I definitely gotta try and keep my eyes on God the whole time and Selah like you said..[The deacon at my HS used to always do that lol he used to b silent for a good minute or 2 be4 praying for the class]

Quote Originally Posted by savedbygracealone View Post
    I will say, though, that there IS something about praying out loud that is very beneficial. i know at least for me, when i pray out loud, even when i am all alone, it somehow digs in deeper, forces me to put to words the things that are in my heart, and causes me to actually put thought into what i'm going to say because i have to formulate the words... if i'm just praying in my heart, i kind of get distracted sometimes, lose track of what i was talking about, ramble around, and generally it is just not as heartfelt...

i gotcha in prayer...
    Yea I agree with you it definitely is beneficial; you're alot less prone to distraction etc. thx

Thread Information