Widgets Magazine
    Thanks

Default Rhema Word vs. God's word?

now i understand that as a mod it's kind of irresponsible to post this thread here instead of the Theo Boards but i really want people's opinion on this, so i figured i'd put it in a place where the most people visit.

i've recently noticed an alarming rate of believers who take a given "rhema word" and place it on the same level as scripture. and friend of mine and i were talking about he was trying to keep a co-worker accountable in their walk with God and he cited a scripture about a believer's conduct. and his co-worker replied "i don't care what God's word says, i know what He says to me!"

so these are my following questions.

1.) where do people develop this belief?

2.) how should we re-establish the Bible as the final authority in a believer's life?

3.) do certain believers use this as a crutch or do you think it's what they genuinely believe?

....please weigh in with your opinions and thoughts. thanks everyone!
    www.kingdomcityrecords.com
    www.myspace.com/1lyfekc
    www.myspace.com/drybonezlive

Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 1,149 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1-Lyfe View Post
    now i understand that as a mod it's kind of irresponsible to post this thread here instead of the Theo Boards but i really want people's opinion on this, so i figured i'd put it in a place where the most people visit.

i've recently noticed an alarming rate of believers who take a given "rhema word" and place it on the same level as scripture. and friend of mine and i were talking about he was trying to keep a co-worker accountable in their walk with God and he cited a scripture about a believer's conduct. and his co-worker replied "i don't care what God's word says, i know what He says to me!"
    I hear that last part alot. There is really nothing we can do excecpt continue to push the Bible as God's word and blueprint for our lives. Granted sometime God will give you a different insight on a particular scripture than someone else, but ti should never go past the original meaning of the script.

People are rebellious and prideful. I see Christian people fall into pride all the time over thier knowledge of the word and not be able to recieve rebuke or be teachable by someone in the world or even a babe in Christ b/c they believe that they are above someone else.

We just have to make sure we remain teachable and continue to pray for those that remain rebellious to the instruction and reprof which comes through a knowledge of the word and make sure that when we rebuke we do so in love.
    Follow me on TWITTER...I DARE YOU..LOL
    www.twitter.com/davnoblemusik

Free Music www.soundcloud.com/davnoblemusik
    Peep my blog www.ecclectica.tumblr.com

Thanks

i believe that God still speaks to people today as far as revelation. however, whatever rhema word was spoken should line up with scripture if it was actually from the Lord. unfortunately, many christians do receive revelation that's not from the Lord. that's why the bible exhorts us to test to spirit by the spirit.

Thanks

2.) how should we re-establish the Bible as the final authority in a believer's life?

3.) do certain believers use this as a crutch or do you think it's what they genuinely believe?

1. From a fundamental misunderstanding of what rhema is. Rhema (in the context of your question) is logos spoken...nothing less, nothing more....or God's revelation repeated.
    2. God will do this through various tools (the believer abiding (remaining, clinging to) in Christ, the church, solid teaching, other believers and of course, the Bible)
    3. Both. Whatever a person lives by is what they believe. I'm reminded of the MANY crutches in which I live by, even now...and the many that have been taken away and replaced with truth.

If it is truly God's rhema, then, and only then, should it be placed on the same level as scripture....if it is not, it's someone else's rhema.

When the Word of God is taught, it becomes rhema. When it's used to counsel one another, it becomes rhema, when logos is spoken, it becomes rhema......if it is from God.

The question should always be, "How do we verify this rhema." That's where scripture should come in.....

Lynaz wrote: "There is really nothing we can do excecpt continue to push the Bible as God's word and blueprint for our lives."

Amen.
    www.myspace.com/4sightsounds

Thanks

"Yikes" to what's in red!

1) It's taught in some churches. There are entire ministries dedicated to it.

2) Point them to scripture that supports scripture as being the final authority. 2Timothy 3:16-17 (may be more verses, but that's what comes to mind). Pound home the concept of the objectivity of God's word and how important it is that it's viewed objectively (as possible). Belligerently contradicting scripture when you're a Christian is crazy AND it also causes confusion. Also, it seems like it could be a form of self righteousness as well. I could be wrong on that, but it just seems that way.

3) I think certain believers REALLY believe what they are saying when they say things like what that guy said up there. It comes from a low view of scripture, which comes from frequent "God spoke to me/The Lord told me..." claims that are thrown around SO lightly nowadays. People act like God isn't speaking when the Bible is read or that there is new revelation apart from the Bible. The whole "secret knowledge" thing. I came out of a church like this and all I can say is that, it's dangerous. They never used the word "rhema" but based off of that comment up there, I think my old pastor was doing the same thing...

I still don't understand the "rhema" word thing....Will someone explain it off board (pm me)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4Sight Sounds View Post
    1. From a fundamental misunderstanding of what rhema is. Rhema (in the context of your question) is logos spoken...nothing less, nothing more....or God's revelation repeated.
    2. God will do this through various tools (the believer abiding (remaining, clinging to) in Christ, the church, solid teaching, other believers and of course, the Bible)
    3. Both. Whatever a person lives by is what they believe. I'm reminded of the MANY crutches in which I live by, even now...and the many that have been taken away and replaced with truth.

If it is truly God's rhema, then, and only then, should it be placed on the same level as scripture....if it is not, it's someone else's rhema.

When the Word of God is taught, it becomes rhema. When it's used to counsel one another, it becomes rhema, when logos is spoken, it becomes rhema......if it is from God.

The question should always be, "How do we verify this rhema." That's where scripture should come in.....

Lynaz wrote: "There is really nothing we can do excecpt continue to push the Bible as God's word and blueprint for our lives."

Amen.
    Hey could you PM me? Gloria=confused...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    Hey could you PM me? Gloria=confused...
    PM'd you...

..as is the case with so many things...the word "rhema" has fallen under such abuse, that I immediately get sick on my stomach when I hear it....but there is such a thing as rhema.....and it comes from logos.

Thanks

Default abraham's seed

hmm and interesting subject. I am glad we have got some word people in here. As my wife just pointed out rhema comes from logos. T he revealed word from the written word. There cannot be any confusion or misunderstanding. I must also add a note of caution, because God also uses revelation and we do not always see it. I heard people on this board say stuff that i knew was not correct but engaging in a debate was pointless not because either one was right but because they had not seen the revelation of the word. Like wise on the reverse side i could not see word till the revelation came.

Thanks

Thanks 4Sight!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,230 Times in 3,220 Posts

John Piper: I Heard the Voice of God This Morning

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceL...ate/2007/2021/

Go read THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

DO not 'SKIM'.

Thanks.
    STILL BLACK :: STILL REFORMED :: STILL AROUND
    (just not on HCR as much)
    http://blackcalvinist.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCalvinist View Post

Go read THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

DO not 'SKIM'.

Thanks.
    Amen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tlr View Post
    hmm and interesting subject. I am glad we have got some word people in here. As my wife just pointed out rhema comes from logos. T he revealed word from the written word. There cannot be any confusion or misunderstanding. I must also add a note of caution, because God also uses revelation and we do not always see it. I heard people on this board say stuff that i knew was not correct but engaging in a debate was pointless not because either one was right but because they had not seen the revelation of the word. Like wise on the reverse side i could not see word till the revelation came.
    There is a difference between revelation and illumination.

Revelation - filling and empty house with furniture.

Illumintation - turning the lights on, so the furniture can be seen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCalvinist View Post

Go read THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

THE WHOLE THING.

DO not 'SKIM'.

Thanks.
    Ahhhh yesssss. Good article.

Thread Information