Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    HCR Veterano Conviction Music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 207 Times in 106 Posts

    Default Dont Post Scripture On Hcr!

    I am tired of people posting scripture on HCR to support their argument without explaining the reason for using the scripture. How is anyone supposed to come to a conclusion based on biblical truth if you just provide scripture and tell us to read it or study it. There should be a level of accountability when posting scriptures in regards to context and exogesis. The difference between writing a paper in High school and College is you have to PROVE your point in college. In High school you could say "the grass is green". In college you have to say "the grass is green based on the clorophyl(sp) produced from ect ect"

    There is confusion and no progress being made in these discussions because nobody is getting on the same page in regards to the scriptures they use to support their position. Can we see a strongs refrence number please? Different people can see things differently based on their thought patterns, but when you prove what the meaning in context its not up for discussion. Who will go against the truth? Will your opinion hold up against a defination, cross references to Jewish custom, reference numbers, Greek and Hebrew definitions, and in context of what was being tought? No, didnt think so.

    In order for us to trully build we must build in truth. We cannot have confusion because that is not of God. There are resources available on the internet and at libraries either Christian and secular that will provide indepth analysis of the scripture. So before we post scriptures to help defend our argument, take the time out to research that and break it down so as to edify your brothers and sisters in Christ. We need that!

  2. #2
    HCR Veterano Psalmist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 198 Times in 117 Posts

    Default

    I dig
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

  3. #3
    HCR Ole' Head CHRISTion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    5,765
    Thanks
    2,575
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,023 Posts

    Default

    I am one who tries (<---KEY WORD) to use scripture when presenting my arguments, and I am guilty of not fully explaining or even giving a strongs reference #-but I do my best to explain the scripture in CORRECT CONTEXT (<----KEY PHRASE) so that the reader will know they are getting what I believe to be the truth based on careful study.

    thx for the post CM-I appreciate the fact that SOMEBODY wants to still learn what God says and not just what our opinions are

  4. #4
    HCR Veterano LENZ_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Somewhere smashing stuff...
    Posts
    2,922
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 354 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Amen, I have to admit, at first, I thought you just didn't want scripture at all, but I'm glad I finished reading.

    Careful, in depth study is vital to understanding the true word of God. 2 Tim. 2:15 mentions "rightly dividing the word of truth", and you cannot do that if you go by what someone else taught you (whether it be a big momma or Spurgeon, you have to study for yourself)
    "I stay bold and rock a Boston fitted in Yankee stadium" (DeadManWalking)

    The Chiefest of the chief, Pasteacher Aprophevangelostle

  5. #5
    HCR Veterano Psalmist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,802
    Thanks
    253
    Thanked 198 Times in 117 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LENZ_1
    Amen, I have to admit, at first, I thought you just didn't want scripture at all, but I'm glad I finished reading.

    Careful, in depth study is vital to understanding the true word of God. 2 Tim. 2:15 mentions "rightly dividing the word of truth", and you cannot do that if you go by what someone else taught you (whether it be a big momma or Spurgeon, you have to study for yourself)
    thats gospel
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

  6. #6
    HCR Veterano Conviction Music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 207 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LENZ_1
    Amen, I have to admit, at first, I thought you just didn't want scripture at all, but I'm glad I finished reading.

    Careful, in depth study is vital to understanding the true word of God. 2 Tim. 2:15 mentions "rightly dividing the word of truth", and you cannot do that if you go by what someone else taught you (whether it be a big momma or Spurgeon, you have to study for yourself)
    I agree

  7. #7
    ctide
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conviction Music
    I am tired of people posting scripture on HCR to support their argument without explaining the reason for using the scripture. How is anyone supposed to come to a conclusion based on biblical truth if you just provide scripture and tell us to read it or study it. There should be a level of accountability when posting scriptures in regards to context and exogesis. The difference between writing a paper in High school and College is you have to PROVE your point in college. In High school you could say "the grass is green". In college you have to say "the grass is green based on the clorophyl(sp) produced from ect ect"

    There is confusion and no progress being made in these discussions because nobody is getting on the same page in regards to the scriptures they use to support their position. Can we see a strongs refrence number please? Different people can see things differently based on their thought patterns, but when you prove what the meaning in context its not up for discussion. Who will go against the truth? Will your opinion hold up against a defination, cross references to Jewish custom, reference numbers, Greek and Hebrew definitions, and in context of what was being tought? No, didnt think so.

    In order for us to trully build we must build in truth. We cannot have confusion because that is not of God. There are resources available on the internet and at libraries either Christian and secular that will provide indepth analysis of the scripture. So before we post scriptures to help defend our argument, take the time out to research that and break it down so as to edify your brothers and sisters in Christ. We need that!

    sometimes i post only scripture on purpose for the sake of provoking thought instead of clouding what scripture says with my interpretation... but of course sometimes you gotta explain

  8. #8
    HCR Veterano savedbygracealone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,307
    Thanks
    2,138
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 565 Posts

    Default

    sometimes i post just scripture because scripture speaks for itself, especially when provided in proper context.

    plus its not about MY argument but about what does the text say. :o

  9. #9
    HCR Veterano StreetSermonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked 753 Times in 479 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by savedbygracealone
    sometimes i post just scripture because scripture speaks for itself, especially when provided in proper context.

    plus its not about MY argument but about what does the text say. :o
    me too, but I understand what Conviction Music is talking about. Sometimes people type up a post, then provide a scripture but don't give a reason why it applies.

  10. #10
    HCR Veterano dremarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ft. Laud, FL
    Posts
    3,516
    Thanks
    614
    Thanked 623 Times in 280 Posts

    Default

    If you can rightly divide the word, you can wrongly divide.
    As believers the only reason we should speak the language of the culture is so we can help the culture begin to speak the language of God
    www.dremarshall.com

  11. #11
    HCR Veterano RJ of MMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nomad ;)
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 213 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dremarshall
    If you can rightly divide the word, you can wrongly divide.
    cha ching. Knowing ow to rightly divide the word is one (big) part Spirit, and another part study. One shouldnt neglext eitehr, but in the same be ready for your words to be proven as that's the sign that you know something - ie, you can defend the truth, not just speak it.
    Items expressed within posts are my own and may not agree with HCR's other writers/poster, my employer(s) past or present, friends, or family | antoinerjwright.com | What is MMM? | I kill threads

  12. #12
    HCR Familia 4Sight Sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Getting stoned to death with foam rocks
    Posts
    878
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 65 Times in 36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by savedbygracealone
    sometimes i post just scripture because scripture speaks for itself, especially when provided in proper context.

    plus its not about MY argument but about what does the text say. :o
    yep.....

    not to mention that most people are not trying to read a long drawn out explanation. That can be very time consuming (for the reader and the writer) on a message board.
    www.myspace.com/4sightsounds

  13. #13
    HCR Veterano Conviction Music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 207 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Sight Sounds
    yep.....

    not to mention that most people are not trying to read a long drawn out explanation. That can be very time consuming (for the reader and the writer) on a message board.
    then dont post scripture

  14. #14
    ctide
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conviction Music
    then dont post scripture
    wow, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of a theological discussion?

  15. #15
    HCR Veterano Conviction Music's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,706
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 207 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctide
    wow, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of a theological discussion?
    Is theology based on truth and facts or opinions? Theology or Philosophy

  16. #16
    HCR Veterano RJ of MMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Nomad ;)
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 213 Times in 128 Posts

    Default

    not to mention that most people are not trying to read a long drawn out explanation. That can be very time consuming (for the reader and the writer) on a message board.
    Its called writing for the web and not writing for academics/professions. Sadly, there are not too many classes on it, and for subjects such as the Bible, that nature of written speech is many time neglected to express the point.
    Items expressed within posts are my own and may not agree with HCR's other writers/poster, my employer(s) past or present, friends, or family | antoinerjwright.com | What is MMM? | I kill threads

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •