Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HCR Familia
    Thanks

Default Should Christians Have High Self-Esteem???

Hey fam, I just wanted to hear yall's thoughts on self-esteem and how it plays a role in the life of a Christian. By definition (www.webster.com) it is "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself", and directly links to self-concept, which is "the mental image of oneself".

So, to put it in a question form (for those who don't like to think abstractly )...Should Christians have high-self esteem? If so, on what basis? If not, on what basis?

If it sounds like a dumb question, and yall want me to clarify, just let me know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thenewguy07
    Hey fam, I just wanted to hear yall's thoughts on self-esteem and how it plays a role in the life of a Christian. By definition (www.webster.com) it is "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself", and directly links to self-concept, which is "the mental image of oneself".

So, to put it in a question form (for those who don't like to think abstractly )...Should Christians have high-self esteem? If so, on what basis? If not, on what basis?

If it sounds like a dumb question, and yall want me to clarify, just let me know.
    Well, I believe people should know who they are in Christ Jesus. After reading Victory over the Darkness...I gained a greater understanding of who I am in Christ. I am precious in His sight and He's my only eternal satisfaction. Unfortunately, not many people know who they are in Christ, let alone know who they are as a person. For whatever various reasons, many people have low self-esteem. I believe low self-esteem could be shattered by the power of Jesus and simply knowing who you are in Christ.

I know for me to know that I'm desired by the King of all creation...not only is that poetry to my ears but it's oh-so-satisfying and encouraging...
    I love me some JESUS

Thanks

we should have the highest self esteem in the world....but thats only b/c we have a glimpse of what God thinks of us....our self esteem is linked to the fact that God views us as highly esteemed!
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

Thanks

Thats a good question. I don't think it's a stupid one. Seems like a study of psychology. The word Phychology is made up of the greek word "Psyche" (The Psyche was the Greek concept of the self, encompassing the modern ideas of Soul, Self and Mind. The Greeks believed that the mind, soul or "psyche" was responsible for behaviour). In my personal opinion I believe that some of Psychology is based upon Darwinism and Greek thought, but all of it is not bad though. Confidence is good but over Confidence is bad. The bible says to be of a
    sober mind. And I do beleive that People can have improper mental images of themselves. Confidence that God is for you is good. But any form of Confidence that displeases God is bad. "a confidence and satisfaction in oneself" seems to me to mean an inner peace and clear concious, which only God can provide. And apart from God is only an illusion. So if you got the mind of Christ you can truly be at peace.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,001 Posts

Default good question!

In Luke 10, Jesus said, "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

He was talking to His followers who were excited about the power of the Holy Spirit that had been made manifest through them. Anyone would be excited about being able to do away with a slimy imp that was destroting someone's life. Nevertheless, Jesus said that rejoicing should be over our gracious eternal destination. Not our current accomplishments. I believe he would say the same about our "self-esteem;" that it should be an afterthought compared to our joy at that which is to come: the reveltion of our true worth, which is based on the grace of God and not ourselves at all.

It's best to have esteem in That which can't change and won't disappoint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eve
    In Luke 10, Jesus said, "Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

He was talking to His followers who were excited about the power of the Holy Spirit that had been made manifest through them. Anyone would be excited about being able to do away with a slimy imp that was destroting someone's life. Nevertheless, Jesus said that rejoicing should be over our gracious eternal destination. Not our current accomplishments. I believe he would say the same about our "self-esteem;" that it should be an afterthought compared to our joy at that which is to come: the reveltion of our true worth, which is based on the grace of God and not ourselves at all.

It's best to have esteem in That which can't change and won't disappoint.
    Nicely put. Is there a difference between healthy self-image and high self-esteem?
    www.streamsofthought.com
    “We must love, live and defend the truth, not as those who are right, but as those who have been rescued”.--Joshua Harris

Thanks

Yes, actually to have low-self esteem is not of God. There's a difference between high self esteem and pride.

*This isn't an exhaustive list, just some examples

• Pride is thinking more of yourself than you really are. Thinking your an 8 when you're really a 5.
    • Pride is thinking that you are who you are because of something you've done for yourself.
    • Pride is looking at other people and thinking your better than them.
    • Pride is not allowing anyone, even God to help you fix your problems because you think you can do everything yourself.
    • Pride is thinking you're always right, and that your way is the best and only way people should do things.
    • Pride is saying what you want whenever you want because, "You're not gonna bite your tounge for nobody."
    • Pride is not doing what you know God is telling you to do because you don't want people to look at you the wrong way.

• High self-esteem is, even though you know you're only a 5 you thank God for bringing you from a 3, and trust in Him to take you to a 10.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that you're no longer the foot of the world but you're now the head in Jesus Christ.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that you're a child of the King and worth being treated with respect and love.
    • High self-esteem is living life with an understanding that God has created you for greatness and because of Him you can do all things.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that though you're not where you wanna be, the Father still sees great worth in you, and you are still loved by Him.
    • High self-esteem is even though other people may think you're a loser, you know that you're a champion because of what Jesus Christ has said about you.

Yes, Christians should have high-self esteem. To have low self esteem means that you do not have an understand of who you are in Christ.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nahledge
    Yes, actually to have low-self esteem is not of God. There's a difference between high self esteem and pride.

*This isn't an exhaustive list, just some examples

• Pride is thinking more of yourself than you really are. Thinking your an 8 when you're really a 5.
    • Pride is thinking that you are who you are because of something you've done for yourself.
    • Pride is looking at other people and thinking your better than them.
    • Pride is not allowing anyone, even God to help you fix your problems because you think you can do everything yourself.
    • Pride is thinking you're always right, and that your way is the best and only way people should do things.
    • Pride is saying what you want whenever you want because, "You're not gonna bite your tounge for nobody."
    • Pride is not doing what you know God is telling you to do because you don't want people to look at you the wrong way.

• High self-esteem is, even though you know you're only a 5 you thank God for bringing you from a 3, and trust in Him to take you to a 10.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that you're no longer the foot of the world but you're now the head in Jesus Christ.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that you're a child of the King and worth being treated with respect and love.
    • High self-esteem is living life with an understanding that God has created you for greatness and because of Him you can do all things.
    • High self-esteem is knowing that though you're not where you wanna be, the Father still sees great worth in you, and you are still loved by Him.
    • High self-esteem is even though other people may think you're a loser, you know that you're a champion because of what Jesus Christ has said about you.

Yes, Christians should have high-self esteem. To have low self esteem means that you do not have an understand of who you are in Christ.
    But do you think there's a difference in self-image, and self-esteem?
    www.streamsofthought.com
    “We must love, live and defend the truth, not as those who are right, but as those who have been rescued”.--Joshua Harris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrueConvert
    But do you think there's a difference in self-image, and self-esteem?

Well, really they're the same thing. Your self-image is directly connected to whether you are a person of pride or someone who properly esteems themselves in the Lord. When you have an understanding of who you are as a child of God, your self-image is in Christ. If you can look at your life and the things that you've been able to do and the changes in your character and can't see that they're ALL because of Jesus Christ, then your self-image is wrong and pride will come in.

Thanks

I can dig it. I think I either heard or read the difference explained. I think it was a worthy comparison, so I'll look for it and then post it. Thanks for your explanation too, bro.
    www.streamsofthought.com

Thanks

I would definitely say no.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com - "esteem"
    - to regard highly or favorably; regard with respect or admiration: I esteem him for his honesty.
    - favorable opinion or judgment; respect or regard: to hold a person in esteem.
    None of that should be directed towards ourselves.

Our first instinct is to think "no self-esteem means no confidence and thats a bad thing therefore self-esteem is good" but that's secular psychology. We have another source of confidence.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J Hoyt
    I would definitely say no.

None of that should be directed towards ourselves.

Our first instinct is to think "no self-esteem means no confidence and thats a bad thing therefore self-esteem is good" but that's secular psychology. We have another source of confidence.

I don't agree. The bible tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves." How can you love yourself, if you don't see yourself as "favorable, respectable, or admirable?" You can't. If you don't think you're "respectable", you won't expect anyone else to respect you either. How can you be a child of the God who owns everything, and not look at yourself as someone who has a "favorable" advantage in this world? If we shouldn't have high self-esteem what should we have? What do you call it?

Thanks

I don't agree. The bible tells us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves." How can you love yourself, if you don't see yourself as "favorable, respectable, or admirable?"
    Hmm, that's interesting. I didn't think of that verse. I'll let that sink in for a while.

How can you be a child of the God who owns everything, and not look at yourself as someone who has a "favorable" advantage in this world?
    I certainly have a great thing but 'self' isn't who should get the credit for it.

If we shouldn't have high self-esteem what should we have? What do you call it?
    High esteem for the Lord.

Thanks

Ok cool. Check this out too.

What about when Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."

Thanks

Ok cool. Check this out too.

What about when Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."
    No, I don't really buy that one as being relevant here. The central message of that verse is Christ's attributes, not ours.

That's like inheriting money and then feeling pride in having earned it. You don't deserve any credit for making that money, your dead relative does.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J Hoyt
    No, I don't really buy that one as being relevant here. The central message of that verse is Christ's attributes, not ours.

That's like inheriting money and then feeling pride in having earned it. You don't deserve any credit for making that money, your dead relative does.

I tend to think it is relevant. Let say we change the words of that scripture for the sake of argument.

What if it said: "I am a wonderful person through Christ who made me wonderful." Feel me? That's my point of view, in regards to how a Christian should view themselves. That's what I think of when I hear "high self esteem."

Thanks

I tend to think it is relevant. Let say we change the words of that scripture for the sake of argument.

What if it said: "I am a wonderful person through Christ who made me wonderful." Feel me? That's my point of view, in regards to how a Christian should view themselves. That's what I think of when I hear "high self esteem."
    OK, I hear ya. This kind of reminds me of the argument between infused righteousness vs. imputed righteousness. Are you familiar with those?

Thanks

when our worth is found in the LORD.....we will always have high self esteem, b/c we will see Him when we look at ourselves!
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

Thanks

Our Self worth should be in the Lord, God esteem is about being happy how God has made you to be I like this better because we dont allow it to be something we have to maintain for things of self we must up hold all we lift up to God we have Him sustaining it.

Peace
    Learn to Live EP Here

Young Bol
    Thanks

Good post fam.. Keep it up!!!

Thread Information