Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Rapping over secular beats: should we or should we not?

Ofcourse a beat in and of it's self is not secular, but I am referring to those beats that have already been made popular in secular songs. Should we (referring to HHH artists, and aspiring artists) continue to rap over these beats in the midst of unbelievers or babes in Christ?

Some things to consider: Will the audience be listening intently to the message that you are delivering or will their minds wander astray to their favorite secular artist when that beat is being played? Wouldn't this be counterproductive to reaching souls with the gospel of Christ?

share your opinions/beliefs...

Thanks

My Main stance on this is NO, it's a conflict of interest we wish for them to not listen 50 Cent, Jay-Z, and T.I. but we rap over their beats? doesn't make since to me. No disrespect to those who have, cause it's tempting cause I've seen how so beat could have rapped over better.

But Begin an Avdocate of The Theocratic Rule my goal is to takeover those who are againist my Father not condone or approve of their ministry, just like many who dont hate WOF people but dont like the teaching, that's my stance on secular beats.
    Learn to Live EP Here

Thanks

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

I disagree with it completely. Once lyrics are married to a beat, the beat embodies the lyrics.....meaning the spirit of the lyrics=the spirit of the beat. I don't want angels to battle so that my Godly lyrics (Godly spirit) overcomes the evil beat (heathen spirit)!
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 498 Posts

There are now (couldnt always say it with a straight face years ago) plenty of talented producers who would love to aid you in your music. Sow together.

Thanks

1) It's not legal
    2) Need producers permission
    3) Legal way is the best way
    Rapzilla.com - Online Christian Hip Hop Magazine
    http://www.rapzilla.com

Rochester New York/ or you can call it roc city for short!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,797 Times in 1,834 Posts

Opinions are obsolete in the face of fruit.

I've rapped over secular beats, in and out of the church..souls have gotten saved in and out of the church. It's by GOD's Spirit that souls get saved, not by which beat is who's. It's not even how nice we may be as emcees. It's by GOD's Spirit.

So, again, you can all form opinions...but I've done it...souls got saved...Christians got edified...what is there to discuss?
    Pick up that new Cram Session (7) featuring Sev Statik, Theory Hazit, Wonder Brown, Nomis, Antioch Alumni, myself and some new blood that you haven't heard yet. http://antiochalumni.bandcamp.com/releases

I'm a secular rapper who raps Christian.

Thanks

goood lawd...AGAIN!!!!!?!?!???!?!?

~JusT~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,023 Posts

this is a good topic to build on yet I don't think there's a right or wrong...IF u do it, just know it'll hafta be a mixtape. i've done it before becuz I didn't have the scrilla to pay for beats but that was also before I just stepped up & asked the brothers on here to help me and BOY did they look out for me! 1 luv to my brothers who not only looked out 4 me, but also blessed ya boy somethin nice...smoke, excel, brinson, nar8ta, unseen, hizway (elekt), jito el cubano, mac tha D, lesun... man & I still haven't even gotten to pastor Joe, t stone, illuminaticx, witness... I mean just go down to the beat board & talk to em...yeah there's no more need to use those mixtape beats anymore...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking

I've rapped over secular beats, in and out of the church..souls have gotten saved in and out of the church. It's by GOD's Spirit that souls get saved, not by which beat is who's. It's not even how nice we may be as emcees. It's by GOD's Spirit.

So, again, you can all form opinions...but I've done it...souls got saved...Christians got edified...what is there to discuss?
    What's The Excuse for using though on Real.
    Learn to Live EP Here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJ zilla
    1) It's not legal
    2) Need producers permission
    3) Legal way is the best way
    Well actually it is legal to a certain extent, as long as it's not mass production and not an official album. Other people's beats are used all the time on mixtapes. Not naming names but several recognized christian rappers have put out mixtapes where they rap over secular beats.

I personally didn't expect anyones replies on this subject to be cut and dry. But I asked this question so that we might truly examine or actions and take into account both the positive and negative ramafications.
    Last edited by Shock~Therapy; 10-18-2006 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks

What's a secular beat? Is it a beat used by someone like sean carter or o'shea jackson?

Young Bol
    Thanks

Default Depends....

If the secular beat is from something totally ungodly, it doesn't matter what you rap over that beat, the original lyrics to the song will be what reverberates in the minds of those hearing that song. For instance, if someone wanted to uplift Christ in a rap using the beat from Ying Yang twins, no matter what the gospel rap is about, those who have heard and know Ying Yang will hear, in their minds, Ying Yang's lyrics. I think that to prevent compromising the message, original beats are a necessary safe guard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5470
    If the secular beat is from something totally ungodly, it doesn't matter what you rap over that beat, the original lyrics to the song will be what reverberates in the minds of those hearing that song. For instance, if someone wanted to uplift Christ in a rap using the beat from Ying Yang twins, no matter what the gospel rap is about, those who have heard and know Ying Yang will hear, in their minds, Ying Yang's lyrics. I think that to prevent compromising the message, original beats are a necessary safe guard.
    If it's such a deal, simply use less-known beats. Face it, 90% of kiddies and suburban kats only hear what is on the radio. They dl that song only and don't know what else is on any particular album.

I was listening to RedCloud's mixtape and it has Dre's 'Deep Cover' beat. At first I thought of the original but as long as the song is done right, it can be 'their' song.
    "...that's why y'all cut me off, because I don't fake it..." -Enock

"I heard one of your heroes took a fall- give him support, where's the love at now- y'all cut us short" - Sev Statik

Thanks

Exclamation Examine This..

For Mixtapes:
    1.) It's cheap!
    2.) Audience apt to listen
    3.) Sometimes it's way better than the original
    4.) Sometimes the artist is more about ministry, than promotion
    5.) There are no "original" beats (For example: Some Christian music sounds like the "Blues")

Against Mixtapes:
    1.) Some Christian producers will be more than happy to provide FREE BEATS to an artist for a mixtape.
    2.) It's not a stumbling block for some.
    3.) Sometimes Christian rappers aren't creative enough
    4.) Many times it's more about promoting oneself, other than Christ.
    5.) God is the master creator, so if you seek HIM he can provide you with a sound that's beyond HOTT
    6.) Sometimes it sends the wrong message...

Bonus Info on Mixtapes:
    *God must be consulted before you do a mixtape!
    *Don't do because everyone else is doin' it, or just because you like the beat!
    *You can become a stumbling block even if you rap on Christian beats...

from ybic,
    poetik
    "I prefer the noise of new life and the excitement of babies being born than the quiet and perfect order of the cemetery" ~ Dr. Michael L. Brown

Thanks

folks just need to save they money and Buy a Beat from 4Sight Sound, Nar8ta, And Unseen.
    New album "UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN" on iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/un...in/id991907564

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson
    folks just need to save they money and Buy a Beat from 4Sight Sound, Nar8ta, And Unseen.
    True that!
    "I prefer the noise of new life and the excitement of babies being born than the quiet and perfect order of the cemetery" ~ Dr. Michael L. Brown

Thanks

http://www.myspace.com/raptureminded

This Kat does it for HIM, He's like the wierd Al Yakovich of Holy Hip Hop...except He's serious...
    Last edited by C.A.J.E ILLS; 10-18-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Young Bol
    Thanks

Default secular beats

so how will you know what's a "little known" beat or not?? why take a chance on using something you thought was a "little known" beat and end up using something that bangs in the strip club every week??

Thanks

Thats quite a crazy statement. Just because fruit is produced doesn't mean it's God's will. There is negative fruit produced by the secular....in the face of fruite opinions are obsolete???Never!
    I understand this...but still if you have recorded over the beats there is still a question of legality. Also, Heaven rejoices when souls are saved, so praise God for the souls. But what about the souls that have been led astray? What about the souls that weren't able to get over the secular connections to the beat? What about the souls that while you were rapping over 'Juicy' were quoting every Notorious Big line? I KNOW good brother, that while good fruit was reaped, negative seeds were also planted! The good fruit came because the angles went into war just to overcome the negative message (biblical backing coming soon....just gotta find my notes) and b/c the hearts had already been softened.

My opinion w/ secular beats is that you can't soften a heart w/ them....the heart needs to be previously softened. Now don't get me wrong, if I'm at an event, and they put a beat on and ask me to spit, and I feel led, I'm still gonna spit....but outside of that, I'll never rap over a secular beat again. I want everything that makes my ministry a ministry (the rap and the beats) to be holy and sanctified unto the LORD in every aspect.
    Once again, souls get saved, Christ got edified...but was it as effective as it could be? Thats like building a house w/ the wrong tools. You try to build a house w/ a manual skrewdriver (the worlds tools), and I'll do it w/ an electric skrewdrive (God's tools...made by God's beatsmiths)! Which one do you think will be ready to provide shelter first....mine...b/c it was build in GOD's PERFECT WILL, not His permisive one!

Psalmist
    New Album: http://www.mcpsalmist.com
    Honest HHH Reviews: http://www.gospelrapfan.com
    $10 Beat Leases: http://www.3-fifths.com
    FNF Mixtape (Free DL): http://www.fnfmixtape.com

Thanks

Default re

If we take it their than ya have to take it all the way and not sample secular records. We all know what drug was prevelant back in the sixtys. Fornication was the norm, freedom of speech was the plit of men. If ya want to be technical the vibe or the moment still enbodies the record, and we in turn sample it! Music is powerful, it can put you back in the moment (Godly or unGodly).

Both cases are extreme! I think many HHH producers take it personnal because they want their beats sold! Regardless, we should alway support our Bredrins in the faith (don't mussle the ox).

I refer Unseen and Witness to people that come to me for tracks all the time (I want my finders fee "joke"), I love sharing the work. Fire is Fire If I can't do it, send it out for it to be done, nothing personal! Kill the Pride and share, then watch what GOD will do! The best way to get is to give, it works try it. Lift someone else up and see what GOD does for you. Trust me it can't loose.

I see you Brinson and Pastor Joe! soon very soon!

Nar

Thread Information