Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    HCR Ole' Head eve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9,109
    Thanks
    3,003
    Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,001 Posts

    Default Yesterday's Way of the Master Radio

    Hey, I was listening to yesterday's segment of Way of the Master Radio and the interview Todd was doing with Voddie Baucham.

    I HAD to email Todd to answer the "Black Church" questions he was asking because I didn't think anyone who called in did the issue any justice. I hope he reads and understands the email.

    (I, by the way, admire his humility and admission that he was asking the questions because he simple doesn't know. It's good to see someone asking instead of assuming, though it was an eye-opener to me that even someone as intelligent as Todd is would be so influenced by the often asthmatic Black preachers on television, as if that represents the majority of the "Black Church." So I'm happy he asked and gave Voddie a chance to address those issues. It's also noteworthy that those in the numerical majority often make assumptions about minorities though they would think it was crazy for others to make generalizations about them).

    If you got a chance to hear the broadcast, please give your thoughts!

  2. #2
    HCR Veterano StreetSermonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked 753 Times in 479 Posts

    Default

    sounds like an interesting show, didn't have a chance to hear WOTM Radio yesterday cuz I was at school so I'll give it a listen now. Thanks for the post Eve.

  3. #3
    HCR Ole' Head jnorman888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Piller & Foundation of Truth(1 Timothy 3:15)
    Posts
    5,968
    Thanks
    2,532
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Sounds good

  4. #4
    HCR Veterano StreetSermonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked 753 Times in 479 Posts

    Default

    I have to post on this, because that segment was great!! It was good to see this topic being brought up given the majority audience on WOTM Radio.

    I had never heard of Voddie Baucham, but he made some great points:

    "We are emotional people.... if the gospel does not impact us emotionally, then it could be that we are actually being disengenous before God."
    "You cross the line into emotionalism when we become anti-intellectual, when the emotions themselves began to govern and begin to override what we are doing....trying to elicit certain emotional responses"

    I would like to touch on these two quotes. I think that expressing your emotions is very important, especially when giving God Praise and in times of worship. Even when there is a good word going forth that moves you. BUT when a preacher merely preaches a word to stir up emotion, rather than share the gospel, and in-turn uses that emotion to manipulate, that is where the problem lies! Not in the style, but in the heart of the preacher and the Word that is presented.

    It was interesting to see Todd's misconceptions of the so-called "Black church", and how he developed them by watching preachers on TV!!! I wonder how many people in this country have those same misconceptions. I don't particularly like how the term black church was thrown around, even tho I do understand this concept is a reality to many people in our county. I think that Brother Baucham did a great job in answering the questions.

    I'm glad that you e-mailed Todd and the WOTM staff regarding the "black church" questions.

    Thanks again for the post sis!! I'm gonna have to check up on Voodie and listen to some of his stuff.
    Last edited by StreetSermonz; 10-18-2006 at 11:23 AM.

  5. #5
    HCR Familia J Hoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    F Town, NB
    Posts
    506
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSermonz
    I wonder how many people in this country have those same misconceptions.
    Probably a lot. What other sources of info beside the TV do people have?

  6. #6
    HCR Veterano KFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    2,552
    Thanks
    1,769
    Thanked 853 Times in 474 Posts

    Default

    Why is this guy(the host) so sarcastic? I think bro showed his true colors with his comment on africa.

  7. #7
    HCR Veterano StreetSermonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pembroke Pines, Florida, United States
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked 753 Times in 479 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KFB
    Why is this guy(the host) so sarcastic? I think bro showed his true colors with his comment on africa.
    yeah he is pretty sarcastic, but it's grown on me. Many radio personalities are the same way. Some things he said would have offended me if I didn't have an understanding of his ignorance on the issues at hand. Especially that last comment. The calls got kinda crazy, I'm glad the show ended.

  8. #8
    HCR Ole' Head jnorman888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Piller & Foundation of Truth(1 Timothy 3:15)
    Posts
    5,968
    Thanks
    2,532
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Hey sis,


    What hour was it?

  9. #9
    HCR Veterano KFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    2,552
    Thanks
    1,769
    Thanked 853 Times in 474 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jnorman88
    Hey sis,


    What hour was it?
    2nd hour bro

  10. #10
    Young Bol
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetSermonz
    I have to post on this, because that segment was great!! It was good to see this topic being brought up given the majority audience on WOTM Radio.

    I had never heard of Voddie Baucham, but he made some great points:

    "We are emotional people.... if the gospel does not impact us emotionally, then it could be that we are actually being disengenous before God."
    wow

    "You cross the line into emotionalism when we become anti-intellectual, when the emotions themselves began to govern and begin to override what we are doing....trying to elicit certain emotional responses"


    Would love to be able to hear this show.

  11. #11
    HCR Ole' Head jnorman888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Piller & Foundation of Truth(1 Timothy 3:15)
    Posts
    5,968
    Thanks
    2,532
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    True he did make generalizations, but I know I do at times too. But you did well in e-mailing them your concerns.

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,739
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 560 Posts

    Default

    He made some really good points (Voddie).

    It is interesting to see Todd so disconnected from the black culture with reliance only on TV perceptions of it. That would kind of be like me shaping my view on every white person in California by flipping by 90210 a couple of times.

    But, I believe Voddie, in defense of those Afro american brethren who stand for the truth, would not have put the black church on blast, at least not in that context. You have to understand- he's a smart man- he's talking to a white man who does not know much about anything black. The context is educating someone who has been influenced by TV perception of the black church. I guarentee you if Voddie were put in the context of a black radio station that holds the stereotypical "black church" mindset, that he would be far more harsh in his critique, in an effort to get fellow blacks to reform their thought.

    THe fact remains that an staggering number of "black churches" follow a format that is suspect as it pertains to its observance on scripture in the form of church order and doctrine. This is from personal experience visiting a number of black churches in the US (unrelated by conventions and denominations). Just like in every state you go to, you can and will find blacks huddled up in front of a 711 wasting their time, the ones doing it wrong are often the ones who are the most vocal and seen. They do exist in large numbers. But even looking down to myself, I know for a fact that EVERYONE is not wasting their day in front of a 711 with a brown paper bag in their hand. However, I'm not ready to believe that the number of blacks who push a negative image (inside and outside the context of the church) is far less than those who are pushing the right image. But my outlook is not consistant w/ Todd's because his view is based on an outside perception. I think Todd's goofiness helped him get by this show w/o seeming like an insensitive "typical" (ha ha) "White Guy".

    Good show
    The Legacy Continues... http://www.mixbytonystone.com

  13. #13
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    what did he say about africa?

  14. #14
    HCR Veterano savedbygracealone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,307
    Thanks
    2,138
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 565 Posts

    Default

    interesting! i cant listen at work (darn!) but i'll listen when i get home! eve, what did you say, would you mind posting what you emailed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stone
    But even looking down to myself, I know for a fact that EVERYONE is not wasting their day in front of a 711 with a brown paper bag in their hand.
    yes huh... i saw u there! (lol j/k)

  15. #15
    HCR Veterano KFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    2,552
    Thanks
    1,769
    Thanked 853 Times in 474 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Loot
    what did he say about africa?
    He made a sarcastic comment about the gospel is not sending a bag of grain to africa. He apologized immeadiatly afterwords for his sarcastic tone and his making light of that kind of aid work.

  16. #16
    HCR Veterano KFB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Akron, Oh
    Posts
    2,552
    Thanks
    1,769
    Thanked 853 Times in 474 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stone
    He made some really good points (Voddie).

    It is interesting to see Todd so disconnected from the black culture with reliance only on TV perceptions of it. That would kind of be like me shaping my view on every white person in California by flipping by 90210 a couple of times.

    But, I believe Voddie, in defense of those Afro american brethren who stand for the truth, would not have put the black church on blast, at least not in that context. You have to understand- he's a smart man- he's talking to a white man who does not know much about anything black. The context is educating someone who has been influenced by TV perception of the black church. I guarentee you if Voddie were put in the context of a black radio station that holds the stereotypical "black church" mindset, that he would be far more harsh in his critique, in an effort to get fellow blacks to reform their thought.

    THe fact remains that an staggering number of "black churches" follow a format that is suspect as it pertains to its observance on scripture in the form of church order and doctrine. This is from personal experience visiting a number of black churches in the US (unrelated by conventions and denominations). Just like in every state you go to, you can and will find blacks huddled up in front of a 711 wasting their time, the ones doing it wrong are often the ones who are the most vocal and seen. They do exist in large numbers. But even looking down to myself, I know for a fact that EVERYONE is not wasting their day in front of a 711 with a brown paper bag in their hand. However, I'm not ready to believe that the number of blacks who push a negative image (inside and outside the context of the church) is far less than those who are pushing the right image. But my outlook is not consistant w/ Todd's because his view is based on an outside perception. I think Todd's goofiness helped him get by this show w/o seeming like an insensitive "typical" (ha ha) "White Guy".

    Good show
    I agree with you I was saddened that this "learned" man was so ignorant that his only perception of the the "black" church was that of what he's seen on tv. I'm afraid to think of what his perception of what afro-americans are like since they seemed to be shaped by tv.

  17. #17
    HCR Ole' Head Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,713
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,220 Posts

    Default

    well he should...he displayed pure ignorance......






    ps.im referring to the africa comment...

  18. #18
    HCR Veterano savedbygracealone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,307
    Thanks
    2,138
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 565 Posts

    Default

    while i completely agree that it IS sad that a person's views about a particular "race" are shaped largely by tv (eve! ), the fact of the matter is, depending on what your upbringing was like (area, parents, etc), people can be secluded or only with only limited exposure to people who are different from themselves... this is why the whole "race" issue takes patience and effort from both sides...

    on the one hand, it will take concerted effort for those who are secluded or ignorant to get out of their stereotyping and get to know actual PEOPLE (not from tv)...

    on the other, it will take patience from peeps who are bombarded with ignorance all the time...

  19. #19
    HCR Ole' Head jnorman888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The Piller & Foundation of Truth(1 Timothy 3:15)
    Posts
    5,968
    Thanks
    2,532
    Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,339 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stone
    He made some really good points (Voddie).

    It is interesting to see Todd so disconnected from the black culture with reliance only on TV perceptions of it. That would kind of be like me shaping my view on every white person in California by flipping by 90210 a couple of times.

    But, I believe Voddie, in defense of those Afro american brethren who stand for the truth, would not have put the black church on blast, at least not in that context. You have to understand- he's a smart man- he's talking to a white man who does not know much about anything black. The context is educating someone who has been influenced by TV perception of the black church. I guarentee you if Voddie were put in the context of a black radio station that holds the stereotypical "black church" mindset, that he would be far more harsh in his critique, in an effort to get fellow blacks to reform their thought.

    THe fact remains that an staggering number of "black churches" follow a format that is suspect as it pertains to its observance on scripture in the form of church order and doctrine. This is from personal experience visiting a number of black churches in the US (unrelated by conventions and denominations). Just like in every state you go to, you can and will find blacks huddled up in front of a 711 wasting their time, the ones doing it wrong are often the ones who are the most vocal and seen. They do exist in large numbers. But even looking down to myself, I know for a fact that EVERYONE is not wasting their day in front of a 711 with a brown paper bag in their hand. However, I'm not ready to believe that the number of blacks who push a negative image (inside and outside the context of the church) is far less than those who are pushing the right image. But my outlook is not consistant w/ Todd's because his view is based on an outside perception. I think Todd's goofiness helped him get by this show w/o seeming like an insensitive "typical" (ha ha) "White Guy".

    Good show

    Tone,


    Because of the "white flight" that happened in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's alot of Caucasian American's never really saw a real African American in person. Infact, they only know of us from T.V., the Movies, and books. And this is part of the reason why you will hear off comments from time to time by some Caucasian Americans. It's because they have been sheltered from black folk so in some ways it's a culture shock.
    Last edited by jnorman888; 10-18-2006 at 01:44 PM.

  20. #20
    Young Bol MrGardiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Johns, Newfoundland
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 82 Times in 29 Posts

    Default

    Voddie is one of my favorite preachers. He did a Marriage seminar on DVD and i've never heard anything that could top it. Biblically sound and inspiring.

    A Must Check.

    You can buy it here:
    http://resources.northpoint.org/stor...?cID=1&pID=978

    You can watch it for free here:
    http://www.buckheadchurch.org/messages

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •