PDA

View Full Version : Defend biblically criticizing an album

Spiderman
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
I see people all the time criticizing albums that other Christians put out.

What would be a biblical defense of Christians doing this?

redfrozen
01-30-2014, 04:58 PM
I see people all the time criticizing albums that other Christians put out.

What would be a biblical defense of Christians doing this?

How about a biblical defense of not criticising an album? What's wrong with it?

jeyjey34
01-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Why would you need a biblical defense to criticize an album? If you don't like an album, then you don't like an album. Everybody likes different things and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as people show tact in their comments, it's all good.

Ras
01-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Is the underlying assumption in this that because that person was Spirit led that their art shouldn't be criticized? That it's like criticizing God?

plainoleme
01-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Acts of worship arent God theyre an offering to God, Cain's offering was critiqued by God, David's offering was critiqued by his wife

Apex
01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
Is the underlying assumption in this that because that person was Spirit led that their art shouldn't be criticized? That it's like criticizing God?
Lol what?

mstrom
01-31-2014, 04:29 PM

I follow you, Ras

Ras
01-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Lol what?

What's unclear?

Spiderman
01-31-2014, 08:04 PM
How about a biblical defense of not criticising an album? What's wrong with it?

Ephesians 4:29

New International Version (NIV)

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Spiderman
01-31-2014, 08:05 PM
Why would you need a biblical defense to criticize an album? If you don't like an album, then you don't like an album. Everybody likes different things and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as people show tact in their comments, it's all good.

Because of all the ways we SIN with our words.

Spiderman
01-31-2014, 08:09 PM

Not really. I never thought of it that way.

I guess I'm wondering where we might look in scripture to suggest that we should " review and critique" albums. What is even the purpose? Like I said above a lot of times these reviews are just a way for people to say mean stuff they would never say to the artists face. Especially on this board.

I'm aware that many reviews are very balanced and fair and done in the spirit of Christ.

I'm looking for biblical justification or examples of critique of art.

Ras
01-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Not really. I never thought of it that way.

I guess I'm wondering where we might look in scripture to suggest that we should " review and critique" albums. What is even the purpose? Like I said above a lot of times these reviews are just a way for people to say mean stuff they would never say to the artists face. Especially on this board.

I'm aware that many reviews are very balanced and fair and done in the spirit of Christ.

I'm looking for biblical justification or examples of critique of art.
Well, wouldn't the Ephesians scripture you posted be a justification? Helpful, building up? If it's a criticism, that still can be helpful. In helping that person improve, grow. No different then what a coach does for a athlete. Look at other forms of music. You may or may not know this. But Jermaine Dupri encouraged T-Boz (TLC) to sing in that raspy voice. She refused at first. Thinking people might think she was gay. But she eventually heeded his advice. And of course they went on to make music history. "Helpful" can be encouragement. Or "helpful" is helping somebody look at it in a different way.

Apex
01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
What's unclear?
Are you saying the art people(who are spirit led) create is actually being created by God? Do you actually believe this or..?

Ras
01-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Are you saying the art people(who are spirit led) create is actually being created by God? Do you actually believe this or..?
No, it was a question. Not what I believe. Though I have met people who are against critiquing albums b/c they feel God led them to that beat, lyrics, hooks. And if that's the way God led them (after prayer) then who are we to critique what God led that person to do?

jeyjey34
01-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Honest criticism is done to build up, not to tear down. Artists look for honest criticism from fans because hat helps them to better their craft.

If all you do is tell an artist how great his music is even though you didn't like it, that's not being honest and that's not helping at all. You can give honest criticism and do it in a tactful way without saying it's "wack" or "garbage" or anything like that.

Spiderman
02-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Well, wouldn't the Ephesians scripture you posted be a justification? Helpful, building up? If it's a criticism, that still can be helpful. In helping that person improve, grow. No different then what a coach does for a athlete. Look at other forms of music. You may or may not know this. But Jermaine Dupri encouraged T-Boz (TLC) to sing in that raspy voice. She refused at first. Thinking people might think she was gay. But she eventually heeded his advice. And of course they went on to make music history. "Helpful" can be encouragement. Or "helpful" is helping somebody look at it in a different way.

I guess you could that passage as a justification. Sure.

So then is saying it's "wack" violate the verse?

Spiderman
02-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Honest criticism is done to build up, not to tear down. Artists look for honest criticism from fans because hat helps them to better their craft.

If all you do is tell an artist how great his music is even though you didn't like it, that's not being honest and that's not helping at all. You can give honest criticism and do it in a tactful way without saying it's "wack" or "garbage" or anything like that.

So then wack and garbage is off limits to you, even if it's honest?

plainoleme
02-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Ephesians 4:29

New International Version (NIV)

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Constructive Criticism is unwholsome? Personally I welcome people telling me I suck, it helps me get better.

jeyjey34
02-01-2014, 10:33 AM
So then wack and garbage is off limits to you, even if it's honest?
There are a lot worse words than wack and garbage. My point is, just be tactful in your criticism especially if you're a CHH reviewer.

Even still, people are free to express their dislike of an album however they choose. As long as YOU like an album, that's all that matters. I don't let someone else's opinion solely dictate if I like an album or if I'm gonna buy an album and there's been plenty of albums I've liked that people on here didn't. It is what it is.

Ras
02-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I guess you could that passage as a justification. Sure.

So then is saying it's "wack" violate the verse?
tricky. for some that would not be helpful at all. others they would appreciate that. I personally wouldn't tell someone their album is garbage though. but some are blunt like that.

jeyjey34
02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
I personally wouldn't tell someone their album is garbage though. but some are blunt like that.
Are you saying you've never said an album is garbage on here or are you talking about personally telling an artist that?

Ras
02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Are you saying you've never said an album is garbage on here or are you talking about personally telling an artist that?

telling an artist personally their album is garbage.