PDA

View Full Version : What age should you hang up the mic?

Spiderman
07-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Is there a certain age where you need to maybe fade to black, or if you have the skills should you continue?

jeyjey34
07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Jay-Z is 41. Snoop is 40. Eminem is 38.

Spiderman
07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
snoop should have hung it up a long time ago...........

jeyjey34
07-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Why was Snoop a top artist of the year last year according to the Billboard charts?

joseph29
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Jay-Z is 41. Snoop is 40. Eminem is 38.

dag em is 38 wow. I think it depends on your fan base. If they''re still buying your albums and going to concerts u might as well keep going. The fans will let u know when its time to hang it up. Look at ja rule lol.

djnoyze
07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Never too old to be a hip-hopper... KRS-One (G.O.A.T.) is 45 and he just released another album last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpz5WcCrhR4

Spiderman
07-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Why was Snoop a top artist of the year last year according to the Billboard charts?

Soldier boy was too at some point...doesn't mean he should be rapping

RJ of MMM
07-21-2011, 08:50 PM
It's not about age, it's about impact and maturity. There is a season to be rapping, and a season to be in marketing, pastoring, teaching, etc when that's done. Artists/entertainers/ministers would do well to enjoy the moment, but always be ready for that transition period when rapping isn't what they do at the front of their activity, but is a part of how they were made ready for "the next."

Add: retiring and then coming back is a sign of a lack of clarity or of accepting the new season. If you must move on, let grace take you to that next place. It won't be the same. It's not what you used to do.

lifewithChrist
07-21-2011, 08:53 PM
How old is Bun-B? Look at the Rolling Stones... Haha

joseph29
07-21-2011, 08:54 PM
well tonic said on one of his songs that he's rapping till he's 70; so i'm guessing thats the cutoff

jeyjey34
07-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Never too old to be a hip-hopper... KRS-One (G.O.A.T.) is 45 and he just released another album last year.

Who listens to KRS-One?

jeyjey34
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
well tonic said on one of his songs that he's rapping till he's 70; so i'm guessing thats the cutoff

He said that on The Last Cypha. He didn't mean it LITERALLY obviously.

undadog4eva
07-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Who listens to KRS-One?

i do.

d.hyde
07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Is there a certain age where you need to maybe fade to black, or if you have the skills should you continue?

Ask B.B. King, Stevie Wonder, Charlie Wilson that. SMH, better yet, tell the Lord you gave up utilizing the gift he gave you because of the peer pressure and dumb stereotype that the genre has on age. #selah

I don't think you should stop doing what God has equipped you to do.

Sometimes I wanna here an O.G. that has battle scars tell me about this real stuff in this real world than a youngsta that possibly has yet to fight their toughest battles.

Cowboy
07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
When everything you say is irrelevant...to everyone, and your skills are diminished to a point where you should be ashamed, then you should hang up the mic. I actually haven't heard anyone like that, though I'm sure some of the old school guys sound like that now(which is why you don't hear them). That's my opinion.

Also, plenty of people still listen to KRS. He might be nutty, but that doesn't diminish his abilities. Snoop was still pretty good at what he does last time I heard him.

Live@Baruch
07-21-2011, 11:01 PM
If its a skill and a gift then in some form keep it up just like a painter keeps painting or a photographer keeps shooting. Now there may come a time when your no longer viable in the marketplace, but thats life still if its how u express yourself keep on rapping even if its only to your kids.:v_SPIN:

Spiderman
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Ask B.B. King, Stevie Wonder, Charlie Wilson that. SMH, better yet, tell the Lord you gave up utilizing the gift he gave you because of the peer pressure and dumb stereotype that the genre has on age. #selah

I don't think you should stop doing what God has equipped you to do.

Sometimes I wanna here an O.G. that has battle scars tell me about this real stuff in this real world than a youngsta that possibly has yet to fight their toughest battles.

thats not rap.....

d.hyde
07-22-2011, 12:17 AM
thats not rap.....

read it again
if we are using mainstream examples a lot are older. There is a place for juvenile genius, but what's wrong with a broad spectrum? And like I said, if God gives the talent, should an artist quit because some say they are old. Woe be to that one that buries his talents in the earth smh

You don't stop till you drop, or God says stop.

joseph29
07-22-2011, 12:34 AM
read it again
if we are using mainstream examples a lot are older. There is a place for juvenile genius, but what's wrong with a broad spectrum? And like I said, if God gives the talent, should an artist quit because some say they are old. Woe be to that one that buries his talents in the earth smh

You don't stop till you drop, or God says stop.

yeah I agree look at james brown he was doing concerts in Europe almost up to the time he passed away. If thats a gift that God has given you and people still enjoy your work; and u still enjoy what you do why should you stop. Hip hop (especially secular hip hop) is different since its more of an image industry that caters to the youth; but everybody gets older at some point and yeah your music might not be felt by that 13 yo cat but for people 25 and older that might be the song for them. But yea if you're forgetting words and your unable to come up with any more lyrics than it might be time to hang up the mic

HigherThought
07-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Good question. I will say that you don't hang up the mic but life will surely have you hang up the mic or it can have you grab it even tighter ( case in point, Amba). But given the age of some of the best lyricists out there, Em, Jay-Z, Amba, Phanatik, etc, age is really not a determining factor. There are some people in their twenties who should hang up the mic.

d.hyde
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
yeah I agree look at james brown he was doing concerts in Europe almost up to the time he passed away. If thats a gift that God has given you and people still enjoy your work; and u still enjoy what you do why should you stop. Hip hop (especially secular hip hop) is different since its more of an image industry that caters to the youth; but everybody gets older at some point and yeah your music might not be felt by that 13 yo cat but for people 25 and older that might be the song for them. But yea if you're forgetting words and your unable to come up with any more lyrics than it might be time to hang up the mic

True. I'm not advocating someone with no skills doin it, but if you got it, you got it. I remember Run on that let's get married track with Jagged Edge. He was eatin the fruit of his labor, and showed that the rap game aint nothin to him. The track was hot.
It's always a NO to a sucka MC, but if Methuselah had flows I 'd cop it

jnorman888
07-22-2011, 01:50 AM

Till one drops dead in the casket! As one age the things they talk about in their rhymes should also age with them. One can rap about how life is from pre-school to the nursing home, striaght up!

seal
07-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Yo,

As long as you got something to say. Rap about it. Someone will hear you.

Grace and Peace,
seal

jnorman888
07-22-2011, 02:01 AM
How old are the Blind Boys of Alabama? This was rap decades before rap was invented!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiquKuoDac

Epigone
07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Both Dr. Dre and Jay Z are in their 40s right now with Snoop Dogg and Eminem not to far off... So idk

Kenya3H
07-22-2011, 02:16 AM
I think the genre has to evolve a bit before we'll see or accept a rolloing stones type hip-hop act. The perception is that Hip-hop is a young person's game, because when i think of an old head doing hip-hop i see this

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3GnkckZa09L4ihRH0jXFqRlvmiSrpU mvO1iKb0tTUFFFpgg4H
Not a good look!
Provided you can provide good content to your target market you're good.

Water Walkin' Warrior
07-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Brinson says that if you've reached the age that you are no longer trying to win souls, you should put the mic down.:wink:

On the real though, it depends on who is listening. Some young cats might not want to listen to Sho Baraka because he has an older feel and listener appeal. They might prefer to listen to someone like Lil' Prophet or Cannon. I don't think there is an age unless the music becomes irrelevant. As long as God has given you the lyrics to minister, you better be obedient and put them out there. They were meant for someone to hear. In the secular world, you can tell when it was time for certain guys. Special Ed stopped at the right time. lol

Maybe it depends on the sound that is relevant more than the age in the secular scene. Some guys die out and then re-invent themselves or don't put out a new album until their sound comes back around. MC Lyte's sound died out. Rob Base's sound died out. A lot of guys just kind of stopped because their sound died out and they weren't bigger than the sound they made (speaking of secular artists primarily).

Another thought...In rock n roll, they rock til they're in their 50's-60's. Hip hop is still younger so we're seeing some guys still going into their 40's. My guess is, providing their sound is still relevant, they'll still be rapping in their 50's. They just won't be jumping around the stage or anything. lol

Can't think of anything else right now. Hope that was helpful or relevant.

jeyjey34
07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Brinson says that if you've reached the age that you are no longer trying to win souls, you should put the mic down.:wink:

Not everybody is trying to "win souls" with their music. Some artists are just making good music. So you can't say that.

eve
07-22-2011, 03:06 PM
the age question is kind of weird to me, no offense. people only seem to ask it about hip hop. people keep associating hip hop with youth culture, but they forgot to do the math! teens in the 70s (when hip hop started) are knocking on 50 now. FIFTY years old! no one gives up the music of their youth, not motowners, not rockers, not jazz enthusiasts, no one. why should emcees?

the only note i'd like to make is that as shai suggested, your content should reflect your station of life. so no matter how much the retarded music industry insists on commercializing dumbed down rap, you should never rhyme with the low mentality of a 19 year old when you're 49. your musical content should mature with you. and if the industry doesn't realize they could make a killing by commercializing Adult Contemporary Hip Hop, let them miss out but keep doing your thing.

Water Walkin' Warrior
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Not everybody is trying to "win souls" with their music. Some artists are just making good music. So you can't say that.

I was just playing with the lyrics on Brinson's song and I WILL SAY THAT Jey. lol (I'm playin' with you now.)

dremarshall
07-22-2011, 03:55 PM
If not for the older cats who haven't hung up the mic.....rap would be in a bad, bad place right now! It's oversaturated & there are some cats who neva should've picked up a mic....just because you CAN rap, doesn't mean you SHOULD rap. I think many "rappers" forget about a career choice of writing, teaming up with a producer to reference songs, maybe rapping for barney or yo gabba gabba! but everybody's a thug rapping about thug life, or a redeemed goon supposedly rapping about growing up in the streets.....smh, actually many of the cats who should be ON THE MIC have hung it up b/c of the idiotness of the industry, & the hoeing you have to do nowadays to get anywhere in the damned industry.

ZestD
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
To be fair I have three of KRS' newer albums (Life, Hip Hop Lives and Survival Skills), and he is still occasionally tremendously dope. Just like any out of his prime athlete, he is mediocre sometimes but then shows highlights where you remember exactly why he his well-respected.

Deadmanwalking
07-22-2011, 07:33 PM
It depends on what your goal is. Now that I'm getting up there in age, I realize that my style of music isn't going to reach the popular crowd of wiz khalifa lovers. However, there is still a demographic of dudes my age who ARE still into this kind of music. And if you think about it, as I grow, so does that demographic.

My point is that if you rap with the intention of reaching that key "popular" demographic for the purpose of large scale, income, fame, etc, then I'd say 30. 35 is pushing it. Yes there are a few who still do it like Dre, Snoop, Jayz, Nas, Eminem. But I mean, look at the artists that came up at the same time as them and ask how many albums they've dropped?

However, Raekwon and Ghostface are still making a comfortable living by tapping into their pre existing fan base instead of trying to adapt to trends. And the older generation has littel brothers who look up to them. Those kids love them some Wu. These guys are near their 40's now. They still tour the world. MF doom is one of the lucky ones in his 30's to have tapped into the younger underground demo. So it's not about age. It's about relevance.

Basically, it's time to hang up the mic when people no longer want to hear you rap or you run out of things to say or lack the passion to rap. If shai wants to rap into his 50's, as long as he's still keeping it fresh, I'd love to listen. I don't ever want Wes Pendleton to stop making beats and rapping. I wanna rap as long as people wanna listen. After that, I'll move on.

There's no exact age for hanging up the mic. Only the right circumstances.

Zema
07-22-2011, 08:29 PM
When you're 41 and you're still sayin the stuff jay-z is sayin. Will he ever grow up?