PDA

View Full Version : Taking Vocation "too seriously".

SemperReformanda
07-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Is it possible to "take a job too seriously?" I have been working for almost 4 weeks now at my new "market research" job. In the first week I already was in the top 10% in qualifications, and have been in the top percentile since. The people who sit around me have said I "take the job too seriously", which to them may be true -- many of them are haphazard on the phones, and don't make an effort to be as nice as possible so they can get a qualification (when the subscriber renews over the phone with you for another year). I've just been taking it like a "game" I guess, because it makes it fun, and I like to challenge myself to see if I can get more each day than I did the previous day. And I have genuine joy when I initially am bored when I realize that God has been SO faithful for providing me a full-time job until school begins again.

So, is it possible for me to be erring for "trying too hard" or taking the job too seriously? I know Christians can take their job too seriously when they neglect their other responsibilities. This isn't in that regard. Just in terms of caring "too" much about doing a good job, etc. Just wondering.

TheNon-Rapper
07-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Nah, working hard isn't taking it too seriously. You just want to make your job fun so who cares what your co-workers think haha.

Ash
07-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Why be mediocre when you can be excellent? There's nothing wrong with striving for excellence. :)

thakiddd
07-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Your supposed to be a dilligent worker an as long as your still allowing time for the word an time with the lord should be fine. Just dont make it first place.

JDWhyte
07-07-2011, 12:25 AM
God brings blessings to companies by blessing a Christian man with a good job. Taking your job too serious? lol for real dude, it's hard for employers to find people who "actually work". Your employer is probably thinking about how much he wants to give you for Christmas... You are full of joy, and blessing your companies finances which will give you job security. You are a rare breed in the work force, and employers would fight to have employees like you.

I'm the same way and recently was offered a position in another company with better pay, set my own hours, and better benefits... My current company is begging me to stay, but has no benefits that even compare to what I'm being offered... but likewise I enjoy what I do.

GloMoGo
07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Is it possible to "take a job too seriously?" I have been working for almost 4 weeks now at my new "market research" job. In the first week I already was in the top 10% in qualifications, and have been in the top percentile since. The people who sit around me have said I "take the job too seriously", which to them may be true -- many of them are haphazard on the phones, and don't make an effort to be as nice as possible so they can get a qualification (when the subscriber renews over the phone with you for another year). I've just been taking it like a "game" I guess, because it makes it fun, and I like to challenge myself to see if I can get more each day than I did the previous day. And I have genuine joy when I initially am bored when I realize that God has been SO faithful for providing me a full-time job until school begins again.

So, is it possible for me to be erring for "trying too hard" or taking the job too seriously? I know Christians can take their job too seriously when they neglect their other responsibilities. This isn't in that regard. Just in terms of caring "too" much about doing a good job, etc. Just wondering.

Work unto the Lord. I manage a call center on a college campus and I always notice and provide excellent references for students who "take their job too seriously." You're being paid to do a job. Do it well to his glory.

Deadmanwalking
07-07-2011, 12:46 PM

There is a such a thing as taking a job too seriously. That's when you neglect other responsiblities because of work. Usually that's called being a workaholic. But being a good employee isn't taking it too serious. Those folks are probably just jaded. It happens in call centers. I know from experience. But do all things in excellence my du. Let the haters hate. Keep smoking them numbers and get that money b.

jeyjey34
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I agree with others. Working hard at your job isn't a problem. It becomes "too serious" when you neglect other responsibilities in your life.

thankfull
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I've noticed at my job (I drive a school bus for special needs and I have a helper [or attendant] on the bus with me) that the longer the employees have been there, the lazier that are. It's sad...I had an attendant today that has been working there just as long as I have and she didn't do her job. Getting off the bus to knock on the door is her JOB and she acted like her behind was glued to the seat. I shouldn't have to tell grown folks how to do their jobs. If anything, she better get on point because they're quick to fire somebody because of that...smh

I try to do my best daily....why not? My job is not too hard & I appreciate having a job because I could be unemployed!

K-Train
07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Collosians 3:22-24

But yes, hard Work does pay off!!