PDA

View Full Version : My Mother

The_Expositor
05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Fam:

It's not easy to type this, but I need as many people to pray as I can think of. My mother has been having problems with her liver lately. Last month, she entered the hospital due to breathing difficulties. Upon the evaluation of a chest x-ray, it was discovered that fluid from her liver had made its way into her lungs. It starts in her abdominal area and then moves into her lungs as she breathes. They conducted a procedure called paracentesis in which they were able to drain this fluid and after a day or two in the hospital afterwards they sent her home.

She had been doing alright, for the most part, for the last month or so. But, just this Friday she had the same issues and went back to the hospital. This time the doctors drained a liter and a half of fluid. At this point, her liver is just not working.

Her gastroenterologist has told her that she has only two options concerning what to do next. The first is a liver transplant. This option could potentially give her another 4-6 years to live. However, because of her age (she will be 67 in about 3 weeks), she may not be a candidate to receive a liver. The cutoff is around age 65.

The other option would be to insert a stent. This would eliminate the fluid from collecting in her abdomen area and then to the lungs, but the toxins would then flow into her bloodstream. The problem with that is that this could cause anaphylatic shock, which could cause death or coma. Best case scenario would give her 3-4 months.

This is a difficult time for me. My mother's birthday is June 16th, and during that time, I will be in the Philippines. This could possibly be her last birthday, and I want to be with her. However, the work of the Lord must continue. I hope to spend as much time with her as possible.

I ask that you all would pray for her. I am continuing to trust in the Lord, knowing that He does all things well and He is completely sovereign. It's still difficult, as you would expect. Mom remains in decent spirit, but she's definitely coming to grips with her mortality.

In Christ,
Expo

BlackCalvinist
05-23-2011, 04:24 PM
bump

eternal
05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
May I ask if she is a believer? I will pray for her assuredness of His Lordship and the comfort and joy that affords.

I am sorry for your sorrow, but encourage what you already know to be true, His will is most glorious and taking refuge in Him even in our distress is a great joy.

eve
05-23-2011, 04:47 PM
wow, mike. i'll be praying and will pass it on to our church's prayer ministry list. continue to enjoy your mom, fam. as you know, God is able to heal her completely, so i'll pray that He does.