PDA

View Full Version : Disowning Family

d.hyde
05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Is there any biblical support for or against it?
I ask because I have an associate that just disowned his child abusing, child neglecting, car stealing, drug addict, lying etc. sister after the millionth crazy thing that she has done. He is not a believer by the way. Some of the things she has done family or not would make me not to want to associate with her even if she was my sister. Is he wrong? What say you?

Ras
05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't know about disown. But if she was my sister. I wouldn't let that Negro in my house.

djnoyze
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
“If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell.” —Matt 5:30 NET
Some people use this scripture as basis to "cut off" people... and then there's the thing about the dude being put out the church... But most people think about being put out the church as being put out of the church building, but being put out of the ekklesia was more about being put out of fellowship with those providing spiritual support, care and protection.

“I have heard terrible things about some of you. In fact, you are behaving worse than the Gentiles. A man is even sleeping with his own stepmother. You are proud, when you ought to feel bad enough to chase away anyone who acts like that. I am with you only in my thoughts. But in the name of our Lord Jesus I have already judged this man, as though I were with you in person. So when you meet together and the power of the Lord Jesus is with you, I will be there too. You must then hand that man over to Satan. His body will be destroyed, but his spirit will be saved when the Lord Jesus returns.” —1 Cor 5:1–5 CEV

d.hyde
05-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know about disown. But if she was my sister. I wouldn't let that Negro in my house.

Yeah...
I have family that is the water to my oil, but I've never went as far as sayin, I'm disowning you.
I also have those in my fam that I would never ever leave my kids alone with, or want having any type of influence on them or me lol. By my lack of association with them, does it sort of equal the same thing as disowning them?

d.hyde
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Some people use this scripture as basis to "cut off" people... and then there's the thing about the dude being put out the church... But most people think about being put out the church as being put out of the church building, but being put out of the ekklesia was more about being put out of fellowship with those providing spiritual support, care and protection.

I've never ever heard that verse used in that context before lol.

Ras
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah...
I have family that is the water to my oil, but I've never went as far as sayin, I'm disowning you.
I also have those in my fam that I would never ever leave my kids alone with, or want having any type of influence on them or me lol. By my lack of association with them, does it sort of equal the same thing as disowning them?

To me disowning means you cut off all communication. I wouldn't go that far. I would talk them on the phone and still say it's my sister. I wouldn't say my sister was dead to me either. But with that type of behavior, without a change, either her getting saved. Or stopping that behavior, she wouldn't be in my house.

Deadmanwalking
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't think it's even possible. For one, we don't own family members. 2, no matter what we say, we're related. I can agree with cutting people off. Sometimes that's just wisdom. My family cut my mom off for a while. She was always stealing from them to buy drugs. When she was hungry. They'd feed her when she stopped by. But she wasn't allowed to leave the dining room unless it was right back out that door. You gotta be wise.

d.hyde
05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't think it's even possible. For one, we don't own family members. 2, no matter what we say, we're related. I can agree with cutting people off. Sometimes that's just wisdom. My family cut my mom off for a while. She was always stealing from them to buy drugs. When she was hungry. They'd feed her when she stopped by. But she wasn't allowed to leave the dining room unless it was right back out that door. You gotta be wise.
That's love right there