PDA

View Full Version : Explain your name

Emayus
02-02-2011, 07:57 AM
I see a lot of confusing names up in this piece.

Mine is from when I first gave my life to Christ. I wanted a new rap name (it used to be Electron or something stupid) and I went to Church on Easter and heard a message about The Road to Emmaus (from Luke 24). I felt like I could relate to the two guys being so disillusioned with life that they couldn't even recognize Christ, so I changed the spelling and gave myself the name Emayus. Nobody ever pronounces it right, and most people usually don't know where its from; but I still like it :p

Kenya3H
02-02-2011, 08:44 AM
From kenya (da country), from the era when it was still called Holy Hip Hop...

I love Jesus by the way.

djnoyze
02-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Didn't we already have a thread like this somewhere?

I'm not a DJ. I had a small music store in B'ham called NoyzeBox CD's and Cassettes, so in order to "advertise" I worked out a deal with a local radio station where I would sponsor a couple hours of radio time and sell my own ads for the radio station, and thus people knew me as DJ Noyze... then the inevitable event happened where I would be asked to DJ a Christian event, and I soon found out that I really hated DJ'ing.

My hottest sellers where anything GrapeTree.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QSu86CCwL.jpg&imgrefurl=http://us-shop.eg-search.net/search/Music/Various%2BArtists%2B-%2BGrapetree%2BRecords.html&usg=__Jw_Losw9oxszDHEZvMV5C_nhdcQ=&h=500&w=500&sz=59&hl=en&start=0&sig2=mb4X0oDf5tXGfSRsDEeoGw&zoom=1&tbnid=gqQjmUR_I8THhM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=139&ei=V2BJTefJG8jYgAfymYT7Dw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgrapetree%2Brecords%26hl%3Den%26safe% 3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3Drrd%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1190%26bih%3D747%26tbs%3Disch: 1,isz:m%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=311&vpy=98&dur=3054&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=141&ty=113&oei=V2BJTefJG8jYgAfymYT7Dw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1589/gtbannernd6.jpg

But the name is stuck...

Kenya3H
02-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Didn't we already have a thread like this somewhere?

I'm not a DJ. I had a small music store in B'ham called NoyzeBox CD's and Cassettes, so in order to "advertise" I worked out a deal with a local radio station where I would sponsor a couple hours of radio time and sell my own ads for the radio station, and thus people knew me as DJ Noyze... then the inevitable event happened where I would be asked to DJ a Christian event, and I soon found out that I really hated DJ'ing.

My hottest sellers where anything GrapeTree.

But the name is stuck...

And here i was waiting for your pass-da offerin plate mixtape...SMH @ the misleading name.

Emayus
02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
If there was a thread like this before, I missed it. Dang dude, I thought you were a dj. Especially because of your avatar.

Donald Chavis
02-02-2011, 09:10 AM
My mom and nem named me Yung Lion but I wanted to be a rapper so I changed it to Donald Chavis...;)

djnoyze
02-02-2011, 09:36 AM
And here i was waiting for your pass-da offerin plate mixtape...SMH @ the misleading name.I can still do that Pass the offering mixtape tho...

That's sounds HOT!! I think it should "Pay yo TITHE" mixtape tho. You can get it on bandcamp for 10%... Kenya3H is of GOD!!! lol!!!

Zema
02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
In case it isn't obvious, "Zema" is my government. My Mom said she saw 3 girls and one of them had my name and she liked it, so she named me that. Supposedly it's Afrikan and means "Show Me God" but I have no idea how true that is.

allday
02-02-2011, 10:19 AM
mine just came from something i would always say and think about in relationship to trying to rep Christ, so short for repChristallday.

Rikki
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
My gubment is Erica, Rikki is a derivative of that. My godmother used to call me that when I was little. Nobody else in real life does.

Epigone
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Got mine from this Christian death metal group(yes I know its ironic). They had this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJViLG6OJQ called the Epigone and I looked up the meaning of the word which is : follower, disciple; also : an inferior imitator
which I loved so I decided to take it as my name for forums and as my emceeing name if I ever decide to pic up the mic lol.

jeyjey34
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Mine was something I made up back in middle school when I was creating my very first email address. I wanted something unique.

Jerry Jr. = J.J. = Jeyjey

And 34 was my favorite basketball number

Stromer
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Last name is Strom. In High School, my nickname was Stromer.

Think "strummer".

mzsoulll
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
My gubment is Erica, Rikki is a derivative of that. My godmother used to call me that when I was little. Nobody else in real life does.

LOL just had a Martin flash back. "Ricky Fontaine. Pretty Ricky what they call 'im" lollll

jeyjey34
02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
LOL just had a Martin flash back. "Ricky Fontaine. Pretty Ricky what they call 'im" lollll

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsN/12959-6836.jpg

GloMoGo
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Mine is an abbreviation of my full name.

I used to log in as "Gloria" (my first name).

CHEMAelMC
02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
My real name is "Jose Maria", and a nick name for a person with that name is "Chema" (pronounce SHEH-MAH, as in CHEster not as in Chemistry!!), so, when I came to Christ, the Lord gave me the ability to write rhymes for His Glory, something I had never done in my entire life, so I didn't want to change my name so I came up with an acronym:

C = Cristo
H = Habita
E = En
M = Mi
A = Alma

which means "Christ lives in my soul"

and M.C. stands for "Ministro de Cristo" (Minister of Christ)

CHRISTion
02-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Christion = My name which is Chris and my middle name Shaun. It's pronounced like that, not "Chris-teee-awn"

jeyjey34
02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Christion = My name which is Chris and my middle name Shaun. It's pronounced like that, not "Chris-teee-awn"
I didn't know your middle name was Shaun. Hmm...

albraggs
02-02-2011, 02:23 PM
ALBraggs

Asia LaRae Braggs

Emayus
02-02-2011, 02:28 PM
ALBraggs

Asia LaRae Braggs

See, thats why this thread is helpful. I always thought you bragged a lot, lol

reSEARCH
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
reSEARCH = seek and ye shall find God. If you seek the truth, you're promised God will reveal it. Emphasis on the SEARCHing.

albraggs
02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
See, thats why this thread is helpful. I always thought you bragged a lot, lol

lol that is funny... I hear that sometimes from people....lol

BlackCalvinist
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM

You are correct. I don't call you anything else but Rikkipedia anymore. :D

Oh yeah.....

African-American non-Lutheran non-Arminian. :D

Emayus
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
You are correct. I don't call you anything else but Rikkipedia anymore. :D

I can't figure out what your name means bro. Could you break it down for me? :biggrin:

Nefu
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
NEFU-Nsikak E. F. Udoeyop..aka Nefu...Means, Nothing is DIfficult For God..
hollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

mzsoulll
02-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Nobody ever pronounces it right, and most people usually don't know where its from; but I still like it :p

It's pronounced EE-MAY-IS right?

Emayus
02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
It's pronounced EE-MAY-IS right?

Yes! :)

Cowboy
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM
I had just moved to Oklahoma in '99, and there was a girl from HHZ that I used to talk to on the phone a bit. She called and got my answering machine, and "supposedly" I had a little bit of an accent, so she said I sounded like a cowboy. So, it stuck. I won't discuss what my name was before that on all of the message boards and what not.

Emayus
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I had just moved to Oklahoma in '99, and there was a girl from HHZ that I used to talk to on the phone a bit. She called and got my answering machine, and "supposedly" I had a little bit of an accent, so she said I sounded like a cowboy. So, it stuck. I won't discuss what my name was before that on all of the message boards and what not.

Were you spittin game son?!

redfrozen
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
When i was creating a false name for my hotmail account (this was 10 years ago when the internet was new and scary so i didn't want my info on here at all) i came up with Red Logan. Red was from that seventies show and Logan was from Wolverine. Then for some reason i couldn't have redlogan, so because i'm from Canada i came up with frozen (which kind of rhymes with logan). I figured it was unique so i kept using it for all message board interactions.

Cowboy
02-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Were you spittin game son?!

I was eloquently releasing game from my mouth. Spitting is messy and less classy.

But, yes, I was interested in her. Thanks for bringing up old hurts! Want to talk about how my parents are divorced? Maybe the excess 40 pounds I carry around with me? There's plenty we could talk about that will make me feel bad, if that's your aim.

Emayus
02-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I was eloquently releasing game from my mouth. Spitting is messy and less classy.

But, yes, I was interested in her. Thanks for bringing up old hurts! Want to talk about how my parents are divorced? Maybe the excess 40 pounds I carry around with me? There's plenty we could talk about that will make me feel bad, if that's your aim.

Sensitive dude, lol. We serve a big God who can heal your hurts buddy. If I lived where you do, I would go to the gym with you!

Cowboy
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Sensitive dude, lol. We serve a big God who can heal your hurts buddy. If I lived where you do, I would go to the gym with you!

Now YOU are calling me fat? It's different when I do. Jeez. I'm gonna have to change my name to Raging Bull if you don't stop making fun of me.

Emayus
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Now YOU are calling me fat? It's different when I do. Jeez. I'm gonna have to change my name to Raging Bull if you don't stop making fun of me.

Smh, I give up.

Cowboy
02-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Smh, I give up.

You should. I'll always win in faux sensitivity.

JARZJR
02-02-2011, 06:43 PM

ur new...

JARZJR
02-02-2011, 06:47 PM
My govnmt initials are J.A.R. Jr. add a 'z' in replacement of the 's' at the end of my last name and you get my SN... All the letters are supposed to be said aloud, however thats not what most people do...

(its dumb, but it was made up in middle school when the internet was new to me...)

Ras
02-02-2011, 07:00 PM

:laugh:

Ras
02-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Rebel Against Society

Black is my last name. Thus Black Ras. Pronounced Ras like Nas.

It has other meanings but that's the main one.

mzsoulll
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
My govnmt initials are J.A.R. Jr. add a 'z' in replacement of the 's' at the end of my last name and you get my SN... All the letters are supposed to be said aloud, however thats not what most people do...

(its dumb, but it was made up in middle school when the internet was new to me...)

Do you allow people to call you JARZ in person?

mzsoulll
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Rebel Against Society

I've been pronouncing it as RAZ....which rhymes with JAZZ or TAZ.

Church Boy
02-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Often I heard people clowin guys when they seem serious about God by calling them church boy. And as kids people would be hurt and run from that title. When I became serious about God as an adult I realized why should this be an embarrassing title. So I'm a church boy and proud of it!

Ras
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
You should. I'll always win in faux sensitivity.
:biglaugh:

Ras
02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
I've been pronouncing it as RAZ....which rhymes with JAZZ or TAZ.

yeah, most do.

savedbygracealone
02-02-2011, 08:28 PM
i think mine is self explanatory, but i got it from lyrics to a shai song when i was really new to hhh

"...saved by grace alone, through faith alone. add anything to that, you're in the danger zone"

maranatha Iesous
02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Maranatha - Aramaic for the Lord comes. Iesous - Greek it's Jesus real name. I chose this name because I walk out the house everyday and look in the sky and ask Jesus to please oh please come get me for I am tormented in this body of death. I wanna go home soooo badly!!! So Iesous Lord come = Maranatha Iesous

wreck-elect
02-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I got wreck-elect (play on the word "recollect") when I started djing. A couple friends and I were throwing out names, and this is what they came up with. It means that I constantly remember (recollect) that before Christ I was a wreck, but thank God I'm part of His Elect!

Emayus
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
I got wreck-elect (play on the word "recollect") when I started djing. A couple friends and I were throwing out names, and this is what they came up with. It means that I constantly remember (recollect) that before Christ I was a wreck, but thank God I'm part of His Elect!

Dopest name on the board

Kenya3H
02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Rebel Against Society

R. A. Ssss -Yesss

Kenya3H
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
In case it isn't obvious, "Zema" is my government. It's Nigerian because my dad is Nigerian. Supposedly it means "Show Me God" but I have no idea how true that is.

NEFU-Nsikak E. F. Udoeyop..aka Nefu...Means, Nothing is DIfficult For God..
hollaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

in celebration of the West African influence on this board!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxfFYCCCeuw

ZestD
02-03-2011, 02:06 AM
My name is Dave, hence the 'D'. Simply pronounced together sounds like zesty, as in spicy or the flavor of life.

wreck-elect
02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Dopest name on the board

Preciate it bro

hollafestradio
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
well.....actually my name preach dat fire was kind of given to me by JBLAZE (Friday Night Fuego) many years ago when i first happen to share with jblaze that i wanted to do a radio show that mirrrored his radio show...we bounced around many different names that i contemplated using as my radio personality name, after hitting a deadend with finding me a name.....finally he said "your name has to be a reflection of who you are, like most nick names come from, your radio name will be birthed & solidified by your personality" so i replied "bro....im pentecostal & the only thing i know how to do is PREACH THAT FIRE, how about Preach Dat Fire" and jblaze was like "thats it.......thats who you are, we all know you for bieng fiery when you preach, actually that name sounds hot and it fits your chracter, plus nobody in CHH has a thre word name (at that time)...use PREACH THAT FIRE"

i immediately changed the "That" to "Dat" to make is unique to me.........thus PREACH DAT FIRE was born.......now its a household connected with our genre & with the movement coming out of NYC....to God be the glory!!

jeyjey34
02-06-2011, 10:37 PM
My name is Dave, hence the 'D'. Simply pronounced together sounds like zesty, as in spicy or the flavor of life.

You're not fully clean unless you're ZESTfully clean!

http://c2.soap.com/images/products/p/pg/pg-1214_1.jpg

EturnaL
02-07-2011, 04:06 AM
i stole mine from another rapper.

Nefu
02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
in celebration of the West African influence on this board!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxfFYCCCeuw

hahahahah,
where did this come out from?
even though the said record is secular,I'm surprised,that you posted it.
Propz. God bless!

Nefu
02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
well.....actually my name preach dat fire was kind of given to me by JBLAZE (Friday Night Fuego) many years ago when i first happen to share with jblaze that i wanted to do a radio show that mirrrored his radio show...we bounced around many different names that i contemplated using as my radio personality name, after hitting a deadend with finding me a name.....finally he said "your name has to be a reflection of who you are, like most nick names come from, your radio name will be birthed & solidified by your personality" so i replied "bro....im pentecostal & the only thing i know how to do is PREACH THAT FIRE, how about Preach Dat Fire" and jblaze was like "thats it.......thats who you are, we all know you for bieng fiery when you preach, actually that name sounds hot and it fits your chracter, plus nobody in CHH has a thre word name (at that time)...use PREACH THAT FIRE"

i immediately changed the "That" to "Dat" to make is unique to me.........thus PREACH DAT FIRE was born.......now its a household connected with our genre & with the movement coming out of NYC....to God be the glory!!
Preach!!!

K-Train
02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
My first name starts with a K, and I really like Trains.

seal
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
2 Corinthians 1:21-22
21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, 22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

This is where I'd like for my name to come from. B/c it's cool. However, my real name is Sylvester and my first college roomate back on 2000 called me syl for short. After I became a Christian in end of 03 beginning of 04 I took the name and switched it up a little and went from Syl da Thrill to seal da zeal. Not to mention I abhor the name Sylvester...LOL...

Grace and Peace,
seal

The Light Within
02-07-2011, 03:07 PM
My name has to do with the light that enters once one is in Christ. Also, it has to do with Christ shining the light into darkness and how I also want to imitate Christ so the darkness around may fade away. My picture also reiterates that as well.

Matthew 5:13-16

“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

4 God
02-07-2011, 06:09 PM
name is 4 God because I'm for God in all that i do. :wink:

Zeal (reborn)
02-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Before I got saved my street name was "Zeal" or like when I walked in at a party someone would yell, "Zeal da Real."
I was zealous about street code and used to lecture people to death about street morals etc. I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps so I was really into moral courage and I applied that to an illegitimate business and that really made me stand out and I was like the only trustworthy person in the game in my area. Of course the whole think could have been a joke and maybe I'm looking too much into it, dudes were blazed-out when I first got it.

Now that I'm saved I spit with true 'Zeal' but since I've been 'reborn' through the blood of Christ I got to make sure people that knew the old me know why I'm different now.

Thus:
Zeal Da Real became Zeal (reborn)

FollowerOfChrist1
02-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Pretty self explanatory : I follow Christ.. that is all LOL

Water Walkin' Warrior
02-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Our head pastor was preaching about how Peter stepped out of the boat in faith one Sunday. At one point he simply asked, "You still in the boat? or are you walkin' on the water? Step out in faith." I started saying I was a water walker. At the same time, me and a minster were running (not jogging, but running hard and praying at the same time...intense workouts) every morning with the associate pastor. I started getting a prayer warrior mentality. Then one day I was having fun and said something like "I'm a warrior. I'm a water walkin warrior!" I just took on that mentality in my life. Then the Lord solidified it in my spirit even more by giving me the vision for a clothing line out of it. So my declaration is that I am a water walkin' warrior for Christ.

Z28Kid
02-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I always copied off of my brother when I made nicknames, and he always talked about me for that, so this was the first good one I thought of when I tried to think of a new one.

Z28 for Camaro Z28 -:jiggy:
Kid because I couldn't think of anything else... :dull:

simply seth
02-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Simply no need to explain, its simple and quite plain.
like Shet ben Adam in Gen 4/5 .. just a mere stepping stone for God to achieve His purpose and His glory
See, no complex story.

eternal
02-08-2011, 12:10 AM
In Christ, I am eternal. I will sing of His glory forever, basking in His truth and holiness.

Z28Kid
02-08-2011, 12:26 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KhhOHLA2Fuc/TUYueQu2AqI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/tvQXoYmToWQ/s1600/preach%2Bdat%2Bfire.jpg

Tarii_2sweet
12-16-2016, 01:04 PM
I want to take the slash off my name anyone know how to change it?