PDA

View Full Version : What is Gossip?

Deadmanwalking
09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm serious. I've been accused of gossiping. And someone mentioned it in the Eddie Long thread.

What does the bible define as gossip?

Would the news be considered gossip?

Are we allowed to discuss the news?

When is it gossip and when is it news or discussing news?

Is it wrong to assume things? Am I obligated by the Word to give people the benefit of the doubt?

simply seth
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm serious. I've been accused of gossiping. And someone mentioned it in the Eddie Long thread.

What does the bible define as gossip?

Would the news be considered gossip?

Are we allowed to discuss the news?

When is it gossip and when is it news or discussing news?

Is it wrong to assume things? Am I obligated by the Word to give people the benefit of the doubt?

...any time you touch my golden calf
...any time you mess with my WOFy hero

Ash
09-22-2010, 01:31 PM
The news isn't gossip, and can be discussed.

Gossip & news could be closely related tho. It's probably gossip if you have a burning desire to share it with someone, especially when said "news" is related to a scandal. Now if you share the "news" to dialogue about it and get the correct perspective/worldview, or so that folks can be praying about it, then IMO, it's not gossip.

djnoyze
09-22-2010, 02:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip

Deadmanwalking
09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gossip

Biblical definition please.

Would verbal speculation be considered gossip?

David L
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
There is no biblical definition of gossip. Gossip is something we are instructed to abstain from and it is assumed by the writer of the NT command that the audience is aware or competent of understanding what it means to "gossip".

Deadmanwalking
09-22-2010, 05:55 PM
There is no biblical definition of gossip. Gossip is something we are instructed to abstain from and it is assumed by the writer of the NT command that the audience is aware or competent of understanding what it means to "gossip".

Hmmmmm. Dag. That's tough cuz it seems we have differences of opinion when it comes to what gossip is. I suppose in the end it would depend on the heart? Like, is there malice involved? Is it objective discussion? IDK. I guess we'll just have to be weary.

David L
09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I'll start some of it now but its going to be ridiculously exhaustive and I don't have much time for deep thinking with these calls coming in at work. I'll pick it up little by little..

the scripts I found using a quick search:

He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets,Therefore do not associate with a gossip. Proverbs 20:19

28And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,
30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents,.. Romans 1:28-30

19All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you. Actually, it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ; and all for your upbuilding, beloved. 20For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what I wish and may be found by you to be not what you wish; that perhaps there will be strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances;
21I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have sinned in the past and not repented of the impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced. 2 Corinthians 12:19-21

Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 1 Timothy 3:11

At the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention. 1 Timothy 5:13

2For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,
3unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,
4treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,.. 2 Timothy 3:2-4

2Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance.
3Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good,
4so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, Titus 2:2-4

Now the trick is to do the etymological work and determine the root meanings and other uses of the original word in other passages... This gets busy from here.

jnorman888
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
One should be careful in this area for when the next Calvinistic or Reformed rapper falls, I'm sure the nonCalvinists on HCR will remember the lack of respect Eddie Long and some others received on here.

This sort of thing can easily go both ways. This is why we are told to love our neighbor as ourselves. We have to treat others the way we would like to be treated.

Deadmanwalking
09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
One should be careful in this area for when the next Calvinistic or Reformed rapper falls, I'm sure the nonCalvinists on HCR will remember the lack of respect Eddie Long and some others received on here.

This sort of thing can easily go both ways. This is why we are told to love our neighbor as ourselves. We have to treat others the way we would like to be treated.

You know, not everything's about calvinists vs the world. LOL. But I mean, idk, when truth and amba fell, I feel the same sentiments I feel toward long. I'm an equal opportunity dude. How's long being disrespected anyway?