PDA

View Full Version : "What you DON'T want to do

eve
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
is called 'eisegesis'"

We all know that line from FLAME's life-altering "Context" song.

What you don't want to do is called "eisegesis" / "i see Jesus?" / Naw, I said "eisegesis," man ...

Sooo ... please site one often-used example of eisegesis and why it's so dangerous.

eve
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
i'll start.

maaaaaad folk have cited 1 Chronicles 16:22 ("touch not God's anointed and do His prophets no harm") as a way to scare their congregations into keeping quiet concerning their pastor's moral or spiritual indiscretions.

problem is, that segment of scripture isn't even talking about how believers should respond to their pastors! basic exegesis reveals that the aforementioned Text is referring to what would happen when the children of Israel took over heathen lands. God would protect them so long as they remain obedient to Him, and He'd show the heathen that God's anointed people are not to be messed with.

the danger in this example of eisegesis is you have whole congregations muted even when pastors disqualify themselves because their behavior doesn't reflect what's written in Timothy or Titus. This also keeps pastors from biblical discipline and therefore many are deceived into continuing their behavior. it's a false notion of what biblical christianity is.

CCordero
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
is called 'eisegesis'"

We all know that line from FLAME's life-altering "Context" song.

What you don't want to do is called "eisegesis" / "i see Jesus?" / Naw, I said "eisegesis," man ...

Sooo ... please site one often-used example of eisegesis and why it's so dangerous.

For those who don't know, eisegesis is an interpretation of scripture or any writing, that expresses the interpreter's own ideas, bias, rather than the meaning of the text.

In other words if you say something about a text that is not its meaning, then that is eisegesis as oppose to exegesis which is an interpretation of scripture that attempts to draw meaning from the text.

CCordero
11-23-2009, 08:55 PM
i'll start.

maaaaaad folk have cited 1 Chronicles 16:22 ("touch not God's anointed and do His prophets no harm") as a way to scare their congregations into keeping quiet concerning their pastor's moral or spiritual indiscretions.

problem is, that segment of scripture isn't even talking about how believers should respond to their pastors! basic exegesis reveals that the aforementioned Text is referring to what would happen when the children of Israel took over heathen lands. God would protect them so long as they remain obedient to Him, and He'd show the heathen that God's anointed people are not to be messed with.

the danger in this example of eisegesis is you have whole congregations muted even when pastors disqualify themselves because their behavior doesn't reflect what's written in Timothy or Titus. This also keeps pastors from biblical discipline and therefore many are deceived into continuing their behavior. it's a false notion of what biblical christianity is.

Some people unintentionally commit eisegesis while some intentionally do. So Eve, what does that text mean then? Doesn't it have something to do with physically harming a King?

In any case, here is a common form of eisegesis. reading Psalm 119 and reading into the words precepts, word, Law, statutes all 66 books of the Bible.

TheRealPae
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
This is straight from ReformationTheology.com (http://www.reformationtheology.com/2009/06/mockery_eisegesis_and_the_fore.php) The video there is great, you gotta watch it!

Excerpt from the site:

"...As Dr. James White explains, for the Arminian, the phrase "those whom He foreknew He predestined" (Rom. 8:29 is translated to mean "those whose actions of faith God foresaw - on the basis of those actions of faith, He predestined".... reading that boat-load of theology into that verb (foreknew) is a classic example of eisegesis. It is importing a huge concept that you are not deriving from the context in any way, shape or form. My challenge (to the Arminian) is to demonstrate where God ever foreknows actively, as an active verb, the actions of people in the future in this way." The fact is, it is impossible to do so. The correct meaning of the term is clear and it does not support the Arminian concept. - JS"

I thought this was good on the subject

-Maestre-
11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Matthew 18:20For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

I'm in the room by myself right so God must not be here with me right now...LOL:wideeyed:

enel
11-23-2009, 09:22 PM
One that I used to hear a lot was "Rebuke not an elder..." (1 Tim 5:1) taken to mean that an elder (the church officer) is not to be corrected by folks in the congregation.

Proper examination of the context indicates that the word "elder" is reference to an old man regardless of the office (if any) he holds. And the context also indicates that nobody is above correction, but when correction takes place, it should be done with the utmost respect in mind.

Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity. (1 Tim 5:1-2)

CCordero
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
One that I used to hear a lot was "Rebuke not an elder..." (1 Tim 5:1) taken to mean that an elder (the church officer) is not to be corrected by folks in the congregation.

Proper examination of the context indicates that the word "elder" is reference to an old man regardless of the office (if any) he holds. And the context also indicates that nobody is above correction, but when correction takes place, it should be done with the utmost respect in mind.

Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity. (1 Tim 5:1-2)

Wow, we fail in that department on here. We need to get 1 Tim 5:1-2 wit it!

daveski
11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
philippians four and thirteeen

i can do all things through Him who strengthens me....

many people start claiming this verse in an attempt to justify things they desire to do that very well may be out of God's specific will. the verse becomes subordinate to people's wills.

however, the context of this verse refers to Paul proclaiming the sufficiency and his treasuring of God for ministry no matter his material situation.

d.

JustinR
11-24-2009, 01:22 AM

many people start claiming this verse in an attempt to justify things they desire to do that very well may be out of God's specific will. the verse becomes subordinate to people's wills.

however, the context of this verse refers to Paul proclaiming the sufficiency and his treasuring of God for ministry no matter his material situation.

d.

Lol or like when I'm about to go on a rollercoaster and I'm scared so I decide to say "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" which is a true statement but definitely not what the scrip was trying to get across.

Aquited
11-24-2009, 05:06 AM
the big one for me (being in a Chuch of God "Pentacostal" church) is theology on speaking in toungues and that every believer must speak in toungues and unless you do you are not filled with the spirit, and therefore cannot take up certain roles in church based on the story in acts when the belivers spoke un unknown toungues.

the thing is in corinthians and i cant remember the passage reference it talks about some having the gift of speakin in unknown toungues, others interpreting, others prophesy etc

also in that story in acts what the people were saying wasnt all mumbo jumbo people from other tribes who spoke other languages could understand what they were talking about.

i find this one quite dangerous as ive seen quite a few young people get worried about there walk and think they must be doing something wrong cos the are not filled. and on the flipside im sure some people have been preferred to otheres for position such as alter ministry cos the speak in toungues above someone who is better suited to the job.

dillon32
11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
The author of the book of Matthew did this throughout the book. It's one reason why critics of the gospel and many Jews do not believe the OT to prophesy Jesus. They say that those scriptures were not talking specifically about the person or the context of Jesus and his life.

d.hyde
11-24-2009, 09:27 AM
It's one reason why critics of the gospel and many Jews do not believe the OT to prophesy Jesus. They say that those scriptures were not talking specifically about the person or the context of Jesus and his life.

As if all the prophecies of Christ in the Old Covenant were mere coincidence. smh. Ps. 40:7,Heb 10:7

dillon32
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
As if it were mere coincidence. smh.

We know it's not coincidence, because the Word is more than scriptural text, it's alive. But to those who have blinded eyes it's logical. If you look at the context of the OT scriptures the author quotes when he says "that it might be fulfilled..." you can understand why those who look at the Bible as a textbook or storybook that is to be only logically approached would be like "umm no." Sometimes the OT author, based off of normal reasoning, wasn't remotely talking about a Messiah.

eve
11-24-2009, 02:56 PM

d.

solid. thanks. "the verse becomes subordinate to people's wills" ... exactly! you should know you're DEAD WRONG when you "use" scripture to say what you want, and you make the Word obey YOUR will. good grief.

but there are possibly millions out there in local fellowships where this is taught and they simply don't know better. they've only been exposed to "that" and think "that's christianity." (much like carlton pearson and tonex think the dysfunction they experienced "is christianity" and as a result are rejecting that which isn't truly the Faith to begin with! grrrr!) that's why i love this board and have been on for nearly five years of my life ... i've learned much that has helped to purge out unbiblical ideas i'd grown accustomed to up until 2005. big ups to all out there (those i've met in person and those i haven't) for being a critical part of the Body in my own life.

keep 'em coming.

daveski
11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Eve,

Thanx for sparking this thread and you have been an encouragement to me! Proud to know you, sis!

Back to the thread!

d.

Ras
11-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Romans 4:17- calls things that are not as though they were. Popular belief: We have the power to call things into existence.

Real meaning: Romans 4:17As it is written: "I have made you a father of many nations."[a] He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.

God has the power to call things as not as though they were. This verse does not teach that we do.