PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink beer?

Pages : 1 [2]

BondServant
01-07-2008, 05:45 PM
LOL...Bond checking in. I was wondering where you were on this one. EVEN THOUGH you pretty much stated your case when this thread was first created back in '92. Talk about "bumping" a thread...lol

'92! lol, yeah that was a minute ago. There's another one around here somewhere.

seal
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
'92! lol, yeah that was a minute ago. There's another one around here somewhere.

Sup with you man? You can't call nobody??? I called you 4 times within in the past 2 weeks and no reply. Are you officially done with the trio? :wubclub:

Cowboy
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
See my thread dealing w/ weed outside the US. Would you tell a Christian from the Netherlands to light one up? It's not apples and oranges (maybe from an American centric view point). In a handful of countries weed and liquor are legal. I'd like to see your view articulated within those contexts.Mine remains the same everywhere. Avoid things that impair your judgement.

No, what I said was apples and oranges was you comparing CRACK to alcohol. That is the very definition of apples and oranges. Could I condemn someone in another country for smoking weed when it's legal? No. Could I have an open discussion with them about the motives of why they do it, or how far they'll go with it, or comparing the effects of being drunk to the effects of getting high? Sure. However, drinking does not equal getting drunk. So, therefore, comparing drinking to smoking weed is still not even an overly valid argument, although it's the closest thing you have to a point.

Tony, do you drink coffee? That will offend a portion of our European brothers and sisters who don't drink that, yet they drink a glass of wine with their meals.

Gloria
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Sup with you man? You can't call nobody??? I called you 4 times within in the past 2 weeks and no reply. Are you officially done with the trio? :wubclub:

Take a hint, Seal...

I'm just kidding. Let me "C" my way out of your conversation...*a kee kee*:jimlad:

seal
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Take a hint, Seal...

I'm just kidding. Let me "C" my way out of your conversation...*a kee kee*:jimlad:

Don't make me write another song...perhaps on the both of you...LOL...Again...

djHeir
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I officially nominate this as the Best Ressurected Thread (coming in second would be Ely's "Tounges in the Assembly" thread)

BondServant
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Please don't. :tongue:

Gloria
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I officially nominate this as the Best Ressurected Thread (coming in second would be Ely's "Tounges in the Assembly" thread)

I second and third that.

First when I saw it, I thought, "Naw...no one who's already posted on this thread will RESTATE anything. This thread will surely find it's way back to the HCR thread cemetary."

I tried not to contribute to it by posting but when I was Bond my fingers started itching and I had to say something. eh well.

Gloria
01-07-2008, 06:17 PM

"Then there's sista Glo-ri-a/reppin' down in Geor-gi-a..." classic.

king neb
01-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I second and third that.

I'll drink to that. Someone pop the bubbly.

lol.

seal
01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I'll drink to that. Someone pop the bubbly.

lol.

Flag on the Play.... No taunting allowed :tongue::spinny:

Japan
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Ignorant and broad blanket statement there.

I enjoy the taste of a good beer...NOT some cheap American light beer that doesn't hardly have a taste. Wine, well I only like a couple, but that's just b/c I don't particularly like wine.

Not ignorant!! its a broad statment but not ignorant. If you drink fine do you!! i dont and provided a nice site. Plus there are non-alcholic beers too if you want some!!

ZestD
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Thank you. I figured it was time to bust it out again. :jimlad:

BlackCalvinist
01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Take and read.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f54/mixed-dancing-seventh-commandment-28325/#post343779

The fact is, brothers and sisters, there is no rigid instruction in this matter, because each situation for each Christian is unique and distinct from another’s. However, there are Biblical principles to guide us in the way we should go, as can be shown by the aforementioned passages. What we must avoid is trying to make commandments out of our personal convictions of things which are scripturally indifferent, lest we be hypocrites like the Pharisees.

Read the WHOLE thing before commenting on one part of a paragraph.

With your bible open. :)

BlackCalvinist
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
oooawwyouken!

*bump*

Gloria
05-05-2008, 10:41 AM
LOL @ Kerry...what's up with resurrecting dead threads? And what is that " oooawwyouken!" from...I read it and heard it in my head...some video game? Tekken? MK?

The_Expositor
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Street Fighter?

Deadmanwalking
05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
lol, i remember this thread....this thread really challenged me to re evaluate my convictions.....a lot of the info dropped on here blew my mind :eek: in a good way.....

Gloria
05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Street Fighter?

Yes, yes yessss! That's it. Street Fighter!!

Japan
05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
To me the witness is more important than social drinking. There are countless times you hear People discrediting Christians for smoking weed, drinking and acting just like everyone else.

Some athletes are not even allowed to go to clubs, drink, ski, party etc because of their skills. We strive for a higher Calling in Christ, no alcohol is not really a bad thing :).

BlackCalvinist
05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
To me the witness is more important than social drinking. There are countless times you hear People discrediting Christians for smoking weed, drinking and acting just like everyone else.

The same could be said about listening to rap music...... there's plenty of people (see the G. Craig crowd) that consider ALL rap music to be of the devil, only associated with rebellion and have nothing redeemable about it at all.

The same could be said about Christians wanting larger TVs in their home because they've been blessed with the money to do so....they're just following after everyone else.

Ultimately, you don't have linguistic grounds for your beliefs. While you may hold them for you, they are not universal nor can you impose them as such.....

Japan
05-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultimately, you don't have linguistic grounds for your beliefs. While you may hold them for you, they are not universal nor can you impose them as such.....

Ultimately, I'm voicing a need for balance in the body not some leg wing extreme thoughts.

BlackCalvinist
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Ultimately, I'm voicing a need for balance in the body not some leg wing extreme thoughts.

Actually, you said total abstinence from alcohol and made some pretty weird and broad statements (i.e.- people don't like beer for the taste on an earlier page). That's extremism, not balance in any way.

Thankfully, the Bible provides balance on the issue.

Simply - Psalm 104:14-15 aren't oblivious to the effects of alcohol on the human body. God made wine that way for a reason....to make the heart of men rejoice.

Col. 3:17 tells me that there is a way in which we can do even the mundane (every day) things that gives God glory. Romans 14:23 tells me that with some issues, there may be weaker brethren whom I should do my best to not make stumble because some of the things we are *free* to do may still hold pagan connotations for them and their consciences may be injured in doing so. That also applies to myself.

So if I can't do something in faith without it causing my brother to stumble, while around him, I won't do it.

So if you've got an ex-alcoholic past, I won't be pouring the Reisling around you. I don't want you to lose self-control and end up drunk again, thus heading directly into sin.

But if it's your personal conviction not to drink, you don't have a right to attempt to impose that conviction on me as a universal biblical truth. That's the extremism you need to avoid.

Note the difference between having an issue with stumbling around alcohol and simply having it as a personal conviction that alcohol should not be partaken of.

Thanks. Take care.

Japan
05-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Actually, you said total abstinence from alcohol and made some pretty weird and broad statements (i.e.- people don't like beer for the taste on an earlier page). That's extremism, not balance in any way.

Thanks. Take care.

I'm going in another direction bro, I'm not making extreme cases here just voicing my opinion just like you. You can say the same argument about "convictions" concerning, smoking, drinking, eating, movies etc. View my last post and call it a day. thanks

NiteLyte
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
No. I don't think I'll ever drink, not because I think it's wrong, but I just don't want to. *Shrug*

DJ D-Lite
05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I love me some beer...Barq's is my fave, but I can roll with A&W too. :wink:

jeyjey34
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I love me some beer...Barq's is my fave, but I can roll with A&W too. :wink:

Duff is pretty tasty.

D'oh!

phil
05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
We strive for a higher Calling in Christ, no alcohol is not really a bad thing :).

what you are striving for is a higher calling then Christ :)

David L
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM
oooawwyouken!

*bump*

Actually, it was 'Hadouken' but yea I use to say 'allyouken' (eat) forever until I saw the animated series. 'Hadou' was the name of the Hindu technique that Ryu and Ken practiced that gathered the spiritual energy around them to... wait a sec. What does this have to do with the thread?

No.

I don't drink beer. It is an abomination to me. If I can't have a long island ice tea on the rocks than I refuse to consume any watered down alcoholic beverage. I prefer strawberry lemonade these days as well as good old fashioned horchata for kicks. 'These' drinks alone are worthy of my hard earned cash.