PDA

View Full Version : T. Brindle "In three hours, Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell"

WhyMe
05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
My favorite Timothy Brindle song is The Humility of Christ. Everytime I get to the end of the song I hear the line "In three hours, Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell"

I often think about his line. Was Christ suffering worse because he took on God's wrath for all the sin's of sinners and so his suffering was worse?

Wow, I thank Christ for being my intercessor!

BondServant
05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
and He was innocent

Quiet storm
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
and He was innocent

word...

WhyMe
05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
and He was innocent

So true, God is so good!

eternal
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
My favorite Timothy Brindle song is The Humility of Christ. Everytime I get to the end of the song I hear the line "In three hours, Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell"

I often think about his line. Was Christ suffering worse because he took on God's wrath for all the sin's of sinners and so his suffering was worse?

Wow, I thank Christ for being my intercessor!

I think that is an interesting idea, and certainly something to think about.

Is it biblical? Or just an opinion?

I mean, maybe it was the same since He took on THAT punishment, not another.

Or maybe it was more pleasurable, since He was obeying His father and that brought Him joy? Stephen's death seems to have brought Him joy. Perhaps it was like that for Jesus. Obeying God was satisfying to Him, and perhaps that overrode the pain of crucifiction and wrath.

Dre
05-11-2007, 01:36 PM

Or maybe it was more pleasurable, since He was obeying His father and that brought Him joy? Stephen's death seems to have brought Him joy. Perhaps it was like that for Jesus. Obeying God was satisfying to Him, and perhaps that overrode the pain of crucifiction and wrath.

I'm not too sure about this one.

If it wasn't painful, then it couldn't be considered punishment.

Plus, we cannot forget Chirist's humanity. Stephen's death is of no comparison. Physically, Christ suffered worse than any human being has, or will ever suffer.

And we can't forget that He's God the Son. For the first time in ETERNITY the Father had turned His back. If anything overrode the physical pain, it was the spiritual pain of being separated from the Father.

I agree that joy was present. But joy is not emotional. Joy is being grounded in spite of the pain, but it doesn't take the pain away.

phil
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM

while... i agree that it is an opinion...

i dont think the joy stephen experienced was there for christ

stephen was physically in pain... but being received by God and blessed spiritually

Jesus had his body torn... but the harder part was when his father turned his back on him and forsook him....

stephen had God's spirit blessing him

my 2 cents

ChoirBoy
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
What is key in propitiation is that what Christ did to appease the Father would take an eternity with us.

king neb
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Physically, Christ suffered worse than any human being has, or will ever suffer.

Dre,

How you figure?

esso
05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm reminded of the Hebrews 12 passage that states Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him.

phil
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm reminded of the Hebrews 12 passage that states Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him.

which was the satisfaction of his suffering AKA me and you... his future bride

its pretty wild to tihnk christ suffered and endured because of the joy that before him & we were that joy

wow............ man

eternal
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
while... i agree that it is an opinion...

i dont think the joy stephen experienced was there for christ

stephen was physically in pain... but being received by God and blessed spiritually

Jesus had his body torn... but the harder part was when his father turned his back on him and forsook him....

stephen had God's spirit blessing him

my 2 cents

I was simply saying Stephen had joy in his suffering as he knew the cause and what awaited Him. Those who suffer the penalty of hell know no such joy or hope.

Christ was delighted to obey God. What delighted the Father, delighted the Son. His suffering was with the joy of the fear of the LORD, as well as the hope of the ressurection. Unrepentant sinners have no such element to their fate.

I am not advocating any position, just thinking out loud. I love these kinds of thoughts. We can't be overly dogmatic on it, but it certainly spurs all sorts of wonderful thoughts, doesn't it?

Lynaz24
05-11-2007, 03:52 PM
I was simply saying Stephen had joy in his suffering as he knew the cause and what awaited Him. Those who suffer the penalty of hell know no such joy or hope.

Christ was delighted to obey God. What delighted the Father, delighted the Son. His suffering was with the joy of the fear of the LORD, as well as the hope of the ressurection. Unrepentant sinners have no such element to their fate.

I am not advocating any position, just thinking out loud. I love these kinds of thoughts. We can't be overly dogmatic on it, but it certainly spurs all sorts of wonderful thoughts, doesn't it?

Christ wasn't delighted to face crucifixion..lol..Remember he prayed for the cup to be passed but submitted to the father's will..I'm not sure about the 3 hours part..but that's another discussion

BlackCalvinist
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
^^^ right.

While discussions like these produce all sorts of 'wonderful thoughts', sometimes these thoughts can drift into deep-sounding-but-heretical sophistry.

The scriptures only make a few things clear.

Christ suffered in place of His sheep for their redemption, and with their redemption, purchased them every spiritual blessing (John 10, Ephesians 1).

His suffering drained the cup of God's wrath for those who believe in Christ - therefore, there is now NO condemnation for them. They now have PEACE with God.

We should be silent where the scriptures are silent. They never give the exact details on how Christ's suffering for a few hours satisfied the requirement that would take you and I an eternity to fulfill.

Tim's statement is accurate though - in hell, the sinner will be punished for eternity for their own individual sins.

Christ, on the other hand, was punished on the cross for the sins of MANY...with what would take them eternity to fulfill.

Just a caution. Approach topics like this with fear and trembling before speaking on them. You're dealing with the God who created the atoms that comprise your very breath.

"Of course He's not safe! But He's good."

eternal
05-12-2007, 12:09 AM
^^^ right.

While discussions like these produce all sorts of 'wonderful thoughts', sometimes these thoughts can drift into deep-sounding-but-heretical sophistry.

The scriptures only make a few things clear.

Christ suffered in place of His sheep for their redemption, and with their redemption, purchased them every spiritual blessing (John 10, Ephesians 1).

His suffering drained the cup of God's wrath for those who believe in Christ - therefore, there is now NO condemnation for them. They now have PEACE with God.

We should be silent where the scriptures are silent. They never give the exact details on how Christ's suffering for a few hours satisfied the requirement that would take you and I an eternity to fulfill.

Tim's statement is accurate though - in hell, the sinner will be punished for eternity for their own individual sins.

Christ, on the other hand, was punished on the cross for the sins of MANY...with what would take them eternity to fulfill.

Just a caution. Approach topics like this with fear and trembling before speaking on them. You're dealing with the God who created the atoms that comprise your very breath.

"Of course He's not safe! But He's good."

So you believe he should never have said that lyric?

I think the convo is good, as long as we all realize that it is speculation which could never rise to the level of dogmatic. Exercising our mind and imagination is great in this way. Let's not be overly fearful.

BlackCalvinist
05-12-2007, 01:23 AM
No, I believe his lyrics were on point, as demonstrated in my above post.

Let us submit EVERY thought to the Lordship of Christ and seek to glorify Him (2 Cor. 10:5). There is danger in going beyond in our imaginations, what is written in scripture.

It is because people decide to become vain and useless in their imaginations that they think it's okay to think anything they want about the Deity. While the spirit of this age might think it agreeable, such speculation seems foreign to scripture, especially in very 'imaginative' books that demonstrate human creativity like the Psalms.

Wisdom errs on the side of caution and reverences the God of the Bible in all contexts. Relaxed familiarity breeds contempt and lack of fear. Hence, all of the 'Jesus is my homeboy' t-shirts from folk who think we need not be too fearful of God because He's our homeboy.....

eternal
05-12-2007, 10:43 AM
No, I believe his lyrics were on point, as demonstrated in my above post.

Let us submit EVERY thought to the Lordship of Christ and seek to glorify Him (2 Cor. 10:5). There is danger in going beyond in our imaginations, what is written in scripture.

It is because people decide to become vain and useless in their imaginations that they think it's okay to think anything they want about the Deity. While the spirit of this age might think it agreeable, such speculation seems foreign to scripture, especially in very 'imaginative' books that demonstrate human creativity like the Psalms.

Wisdom errs on the side of caution and reverences the God of the Bible in all contexts. Relaxed familiarity breeds contempt and lack of fear. Hence, all of the 'Jesus is my homeboy' t-shirts from folk who think we need not be too fearful of God because He's our homeboy.....

OK, well thanks for your opinion. Since I don't find his lyric in scripture, I see it too as speculation. I simply added to the thought that perhaps it could be looked at a different way, also using the foundation of scripture.

Anyways, thanks for offering your thoughts.

The apologist
05-12-2007, 07:28 PM
OK, well thanks for your opinion. Since I don't find his lyric in scripture, I see it too as speculation. I simply added to the thought that perhaps it could be looked at a different way, also using the foundation of scripture.

Anyways, thanks for offering your thoughts.

Boy, you don't know what you believe:confused:

StreetSermonz
05-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Boy, you don't know what you believe:confused:

:confused:

StreetSermonz
05-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Christ wasn't delighted to face crucifixion..lol..Remember he prayed for the cup to be passed but submitted to the father's will..I'm not sure about the 3 hours part..but that's another discussion

I feel what Eternal is saying, nowhere in scripture does it say "in 3 hours Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell" However, there is nothing wrong with the illustration in the context Tim layed out. It is speculation.

However, I don't believe that Jesus' suffering can be compared to anyone elses's suffering. I believe more than the physical aspect, the spiritual aspect was much more painful being separated from the Father while on the cross, hence "Father, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus understood the eternal value of His sacrifice, which is why He was obedient. It is possible He took joy understanding the purpose of His sacrifice, however the suffering was so severe I don't believe any man that ever lived can ever fathom it.

the answer
05-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Jesus was taking the wrath for millions of people.

In hell, people will only pay for thier own sins. There are degrees of punishment. I don't think its a stretch for Tim to say what he said.

its Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29

StreetSermonz
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM

In hell, people will only pay for thier own sins. There are degrees of punishment. I don't think its a stretch for Tim to say what he said.

well said.

eternal
05-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I feel what Eternal is saying, nowhere in scripture does it say "in 3 hours Christ suffered more than any sinner ever will in hell" However, there is nothing wrong with the illustration in the context Tim layed out. It is speculation.

However, I don't believe that Jesus' suffering can be compared to anyone elses's suffering. I believe more than the physical aspect, the spiritual aspect was much more painful being separated from the Father while on the cross, hence "Father, why have you forsaken me?" Jesus understood the eternal value of His sacrifice, which is why He was obedient. It is possible He took joy understanding the purpose of His sacrifice, however the suffering was so severe I don't believe any man that ever lived can ever fathom it.

Yeah His death and suffering was unique. The wages of sin is death, we all EARN our death. Jesus embraced it through OBEDIENCE, while we earn it through disobedience. That in itself is crazy, and adds a whole different dimension to it. I am sure the shock of the experience was out of our imagination, the seperation/death. Horrible. We also know that He had the dimension of taking pleasure in obeying His father who delighted in the sacrifice. And Christ had a hope that no one else could lay claim to. It's all speculation. Amazing simply because of the fact of how great and incomparable Jesus is and what He did and the circumstances around it. I think both thoughts bring us to a greater appreciation for the great King.

Nah its not a stretch at all. Neither is the other way around. I don't believe either is vanity. Cool stuff!