PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so we went street witnessing Saturday

BlackCalvinist
05-06-2007, 10:53 PM
'We' being Me, Yolanda, Jason and Jolene.

Jason and Yolanda came strapped with tracts and bibles and started before I got there (I ran late). They knew EXACTLY the right corner to hit in the downtown area (Eutaw and Saratoga Street in the Lexington Market area).

I got there.....they were already at work. On my way down, I walked 3-4 blocks with the mailman (his name was tony) who attended a UMC church. It was a good short convo and I gave him a tract.

At the corner, it was CRAZY.:eek: We met 'Mac' - a 15-year old dude that kinda reminds me of a cross between Young Josh and B-Doe in his mannerism and look.... very intelligent, pretty articulate.

This was his corner. I noticed that about 6-7 of the same dudes kept 'circling' the area. And they were all Nextel-ing each other about the location of the police and moved when appropriate. Mac's girl had a purse carrying most of his merchandise (which included crack, heroine and weed among other things).

He got to chop it up with Yolanda for a minute while me and J were there. He was actually very respectful and seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that we were there and not simply beating up on him for what he was doing. He also got to see us interact with several other people, as we were on the corner for almost 2 hours.

People that stood out to me a bit:

Robert - 50+ guy, tall, seemed a little 'slow'. I shared the law with him, and once we got to the end.... a tear rolled down his face:eek: I jumped to the gospel as the solution to the problem the law presented real quick.

Nicoleness & her son (I think his name was Jason...) - Mom claims to be a Christian, but hasn't been to church in a while. Son goes to Bethel AME, but when was asked how to become a Christian, gave a works-defined salvation plan. Not a big surprise to me. Yolanda spent time with her and the son (I was a part of the convo a little).

Two young girls, 16 and 17 (forgot their names): who also attended churches, but thought that it was about 'working on it' instead of repentance and faith.

Gilbert - who works for Lexington Market. Jolene spent time with him for a few and me and J had to walk about 50 yards down the street to find both of them talking. He was interesting because he talked about not wanting thinking it was right to make moral judgments *LOL* but was still a nice guy.

There were plenty of other people we all talked to (I'll let Jason and Yolanda and Jolene tell their stories).

We'll be back down there in a few weeks. The tract I wrote up (and there'll be more on the way shortly) have a short listing of solid churches in the immediate Baltimore area with 1 in Towson included. The closest one to the area that was sound that I pointed folk to is Redeemed's church - Believers Chapel (it's also the first one listed on the tract).

Lord willing, I'll have PDF versions of this tract available on my site soon for folk to DL and use as needed, provided you're going to actually TEACH folks and not simply ENTERTAIN them when they come to your church.

I'm REAL serious about that. J, Yolanda and Jolene will tell you - we met (literally) DOZENS of people who claimed to be Christians but couldn't communicate the content of the gospel correctly. And it's not a matter of 'well, they just said it differently'. I'm talkin' about people sayin' that you basically be a good person, change your behavior and say forgive me God whenever you do something wrong. That's WORKS. No mention of the cross, no mention of the Savior - nuffin'.

Anyway, enough of that before I start ranting.

Pray for the people mentioned in this post. Pray for the city. My heart BROKE while I was there. I grew up in B-more, used to hang on those very corners.... and it ain't like it used to be. The heroin and crack slingin' used to be restricted to a few other places....now it's in broad daylight.

This is going to be a busy summer for me and a few more of us in the area.

I was encouraged this morning, as I visited Hope Bible Church in Columbia, MD. Hope actually will be starting up a similar evangelism program shortly and they're going to be going to the local fair and a mall or two, I think.

So keep them in prayer, too.

I have a lot more to say, but this will suffice for now.

illuminaticx
05-07-2007, 01:10 AM
yO, like I said in your other post. I praise God for your faithfulness in serving Christ and presenting the Gospel message of salvation to those who are dead in sin. That's what it's all about!! I rejoice with you for those who fell under conviction, repented of their sins and asked Christ to come into their lives. Glory be to God!! Continue in the service that God has called you in and be encouraged. God will give you strength. God Bless!!

J =]

Praying for those souls!!

naijagirl
05-07-2007, 01:27 AM
All right, adopted dad! Praise God for your faithfulness. Could you send me a PDF? My bible study is ready to go fish soon. Nothing like typing up our sound churches on tracts so people can attend. I will be praying.

BlackCalvinist
05-07-2007, 01:34 AM
All right, adopted dad! Praise God for your faithfulness. Could you send me a PDF? My bible study is ready to go fish soon. Nothing like typing up our sound churches on tracts so people can attend. I will be praying.

I gotcha, daughter. :)

Check mail on Tuesday.

And thank you.

But I'm tellin' you - J, Jolene and Yolanda need to post. Their stories are far more interesting than mine.

What was REALLY cool was that while we were praying (Jason Yolanda and Me), Jolene arrived (she ran a little late) and joined the circle.

RIGHT ON TIME. :)

Zee
05-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Now that right there is awesome to hear bro. Keep up the God (good) work!

sonshine
05-07-2007, 07:25 AM
thats great to hear i do alot of street witnessing myself

gospelmessenjah
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Man thats amazing I wish some people would atleast come with me to witness so I can have the courage to go out and witness:( But nonetheless thats great ya'll doing the work of God and Jesus christ is being bodly proclaimed.:D

DJ Wade-O
05-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll be praying

topherstyles
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
BC Could you explain what you said to them when they said they just be a good person, etc. etc. How did you explain the cross to them without sounding holier than thou? Did they understand it?

clayfilms
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Initially I went to b-more this weekend to shoot the vintage limited clothing line launch concert..the highlight was mos def the time spent sharing the gospel and love of Jesus Christ in Lexington market…

pretty much all I have to share is that God has prepared a harvest if only the church would participate in reaping that harvest for his glory.

Amidst all of the unashamed depravity that I saw, what touched my heart was the fact that just about every person that I spoke to engaged me for at least 15-20 minutes..people’s hearts were open to hearing the gospel..and many realized their need for a savior..one convo that sticks out was actually the 1st one that Jason and I had..no sooner than we got down to the market and prayed did we encounter an older black man with his granddaughter..jason and I shared the gospel with him and when we asked him if the impending judgment of God concerned him, he looked us dead in the eye and said, “I can feel the fire.”…after that Jason shared the good news of the gospel with him and on more than one occasion his granddaughter tugged on him to get him to leave and get on the bus (he must have missed at least 3 buses talking to us) he shushed her and told her that this conversation was more important than catching the bus..please pray for him

honestly b4 kerry got there, jason and I spoke to so many people who asked us what church we went to and sadly I couldn’t tell them about any churches..but I praise God for the tracts that kerry prepared as they helped us out in that area. Bless you brother!

And I just encourage anyone on this board who lives in the Baltimore area to pray about a way that you can serve the people in that area..whether it be committing to pray for the lost, praying for the servants who are doing street evangelism, preparing/folding tracts to give out, bringing bottled water..or committing to go down there yourself…please pray for that area..

and to the brothers in particular..sometimes a woman can see things that yall might miss..and I could see how impressed that 15 year kingpin-in-training was with the Christ in yall..on multiple occasions he stopped selling to come over and ask me questions about Jesus and I believe that God planted a seed in his heart..like I said b4 please pray about committing to witnessing on that corner this summer as God can use yall to be “the church” for that young man..

savedbygracealone
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
BC Could you explain what you said to them when they said they just be a good person, etc. etc. How did you explain the cross to them without sounding holier than thou? Did they understand it?

way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master way of the master

lol nah j/k but seriously tho www.wayofthemaster.com :o

savedbygracealone
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
amen, bc, yolanda...

simply seth
05-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I weep when I hear these stories

Jason718
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM
i'm the "jason" to whom bc is referring.

here's my most recent blog entry on this past saturday.

http://www.xanga.com/LLroomtempJ/588985974/weekend-drug-culture.html

eve
05-07-2007, 11:45 AM
i am soooo happy for you guys' faithfulness. i wish i'd been able to go, but i will next time assuming we go out during a saturday other than a "every-other-saturday women's proverbs class saturday" at the church.

this was maaaadddddd encouraging, ya'll.

this is what it's all about.

and even ahead of this, it's important for me to get out into my own community and do the same. i'm placed there for a reason, and i think it would be shameful if i'm up in baltimore more often than in my own neighborhood with my own neighbors that God placed me among. it's a challenge, since i'm the only person i know well who lives over there and would go witnessing, but the Holy Spirit is powerful. pray for a sista ... i frankly haven't even taken the time to get to know people who live on my block, though i know full well God doesn't have me there by accident.

WhyMe
05-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Praise God ya'll that is awesome to hear! I never been to BMore, I never realized how bad it was there.

CLER
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Man thats amazing I wish some people would atleast come with me to witness so I can have the courage to go out and witness:( But nonetheless thats great ya'll doing the work of God and Jesus christ is being bodly proclaimed.:D

yea bro i feel you. i'll be praying for you.

this was really encouraging y'all. i feel bad coz i haven't reall ythought about this for a while and i know i gotta start pushing to witness more.

thankfull
05-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for posting the experiences. I know I need to be in prayer for the lost more. It's encouraging to read that people did respond to the message. :)

clayfilms
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Lord willing, I'll have PDF versions of this tract available on my site soon for folk to DL and use as needed, provided you're going to actually TEACH folks and not simply ENTERTAIN them when they come to your church.

hey kerry..don't forget to holler when you have that tract ready for download..it was excellent!!

Single Eye
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
praise the Lord! very encouraging!! thanks for sharing the update!

Under5ive
05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
AMEN ya'll!!!! That's what's up right there!!! To God be the glory!!!

And to the fam who posted:

Man thats amazing I wish some people would atleast come with me to witness so I can have the courage to go out and witness:(

Be encouraged and know that you don't need to go out in packs to witness. I remember praying and asking God to show me how to take advantage of opportunities that I don't neccesarily see as a door to witness the gospel of Jesus Christ and guess what happened....

One day I was @ the tyme machine (ATM) and this dude pulled up in a car with his guys and was like "Aye shawty what's up?"... I said what's up and kept minding my business... Then as I was walking to the car he said "Aye you got a man?"...

Now usually I would ignore dudes that ask me that but all of a sudden I walked over to his car and said:

As a matter of fact I do and He's looking at you right now :D He started looking over his shoulder with a scared look on his face and all of a sudden his guys started laughing & said "wow, dude she talking about God"....

Thus was the door opened to witness.... That was about 3 1/2 years ago and since then God has been faithful to give me many more creative ways of using everyday encounters to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. And remember this, God is not limited to the creativeness of man but seeks to share His genius with us.

Truly,
Under5ive