PDA

View Full Version : Wrong forum, but I'm in a rush.....prayer

BlackCalvinist
05-04-2007, 06:34 PM
It's 6:40pm on Friday evening.

I just finished typing up this tract:

Tract #1 – What Happens When You Die ?

As this is being written, it is May 2007. In the past 4 weeks, there have been multiple shootings across the nation which have taken the lives of people unexpectedly. Virginia Tech, local night clubs, N.A.S.A. in Houston, a mall in the Midwest. None of the victims had any idea that going into work or school, they would never return home. None of them had any idea that their lives would suddenly end – until the bullets began to fly.

It could just as easily have been a shooter at a mall you’ve walked through in the past few days, or someone disgruntled at your job coming in and deciding to take their revenge on those who have (in their eyes) done them wrong.

Take a moment and consider a question related to these tragedies.

What Do You Think Happens When You Die ?

You see, the complexity of the creation around us is proof that there is a God (Psalm 19:1-3). That sense of ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ and a desire for justice that each of us carries around with us which helps us to call things like shooting innocent people, hit and run driving, child abuse and such, evil. Romans 2:14-15 talks about this as being the conscience of men and women. The Bible tells us that God is a moral being (like us) and there will come a day (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14) when God will judge all of the actions, thoughts, and every secret thing that every man and woman who has ever lived has done. That spans from Hitler to Billy Graham to Mother Theresa….to me and you.

The Bible tells us that God is Holy and Just. Holy, meaning that He cannot tolerate sin and is free from all sin and imperfection Himself and Just in that He must punish those who do evil things.

Maybe you’ve never taken a look at God’s law before, but now that we have a moment, let us see what it has to say about you and I. As you go through a few of the commandments, examine yourself honestly against them.

Have you ever told a lie before (no matter how small or insignificant it was) ? Sure “everyone does it”, but if everyone ran over old ladies in the crosswalk, would that make it okay? Neither does the fact that “everyone” lies excuse people from their responsibility to tell the truth.

Have you ever been extremely angry at someone ? Jesus once told a large group of people gathered that a person who insults or is angry with another will be just as liable to judgment as one who actually commits the act of murder.

Have you ever used God’s name in vain ? That is, have you ever taken God’s name and used it as a curse word, an expression of disgust or used it to express something other than reverence and respect and worship for the God who gives you life, breath and health… have you done this ? This is called blasphemy – it’s a very serious crime against God and God has said that He won’t let the person who blasphemes His name get away with it.

Have you ever stolen anything ? Even if it’s as small as downloading an MP3 illegally, taking supplies from work, a pen that didn’t belong to you, a paperclip from a co-worker’s desk without asking….no matter how big or small….

Finally, have you ever looked at a member of the opposite sex to whom you are not married, with sexual thoughts ? Undressed them with your eyes, fantasized about them, etc… ? Jesus, speaking to the same crowd (in Matthew 5:27-28 by the way) "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Well, we’ve looked at five of the ten commandments found in Exodus chapter 20. And if you find yourself answering yes to any of the questions, you should find yourself deathly afraid and concerned. The scriptures say that all liars, murderers and the sexually immoral (Revelation 21:8) will have their place in the lake of fire and brimstone – the place of God’s judgment on those who disobey His laws. Revelation 20:10-15 tell us that this is a terrible place, where God’s wrath is poured out in justice on those who have broken His laws.

So looking at His laws and measuring yourself against them…. if God judged you by those laws, on judgment day, would you be innocent or guilty ? And if guilty, what do you think will happen to you ?

Understand – standing before a judge and simply saying ‘I’m sorry’ doesn’t take away the fact that the judge, if he is just, must punish wrongdoing. Any judge that simply lets a murderer walk free without paying for his crime is an unjust judge, even if the guy is sorry.

Let me be blunt with you: God is just. No ‘I’m sorry’ will get you off the hook. Today, if you were to die, you would face God and have to give an account for breaking His laws. And sadly, you would face His full wrath and justice for your deeds for eternity.

But I don’t want you to go there. That’s why I wrote this. See, there’s more to the story.

Two-thousand years ago, that same God who will one day punish those who have broken His law, took on human flesh and walked this earth in the Person of Jesus Christ. He lived a perfect and sinless life and gave Himself as a sacrifice to pay for the penalty of sin (God’s wrath upon us for eternity) by dying on a cross for lawbreakers like you and I.

He now – TODAY – offers forgiveness for those sins and offenses that you and I have committed against Him.

The Bible says that in order to obtain this gift of forgiveness, there are some things you must do. The first thing is to REPENT. That doesn’t mean you start doing good deeds to try and cover up or balance out the bad deeds. Rather, it means that you must agree with God that you are a lawbreaker in His sight according to His laws and turn from them.

The second thing you must do is BELIEVE upon Jesus Christ and His sacrifice in your place and resurrection from the dead for the forgiveness of your sins. Now John 3:16 should make some more sense to you: “God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.” God the Father gave His Son, Jesus Christ, on behalf of sinful humans who have broken His law, spit in His face by abusing His creation and used His name as a curse word, even though He gives them life and food and breath (Matthew 5:43-48).

Repentance is like a man setting out to drive to Texas, but looks up and finds that he’s now in Canada. The man realizes he’s been going in the wrong direction, turns around and goes in the opposite direction and doesn’t stop until he gets to his destination. Likewise, following Christ is the same way. Jesus said as much in Luke 14:25-33.

Faith is like a man jumping out of an airplane which is quickly falling to the earth. The man places all of his trust in the parachute on his back to slow his fall to the earth as he jumps out of the plane. His reliance is upon the parachute – he knows that silly things like flapping his arms and blowing at the ground cannot save him. Likewise, faith and trust in Christ is the same way. Only faith in Christ can save a man from falling into hell. Good works never saved anyone (Romans 3:28-28).

Thank you for taking a few moments to read this. I truly care for your soul and your eternal destiny. I hope these words have awakened something in you that makes you desire to know and serve this God who desires you to turn from sin and serve Him. If something about this resonates with you, I implore you to find somewhere private TODAY and pour your heart out to God and ask Him to save you. Tell Him you are sorry for your offenses against Him and that you desire to do what He says is right to yield your life to Him. God is merciful and offers this time to you and others as a time to turn from sin and turn to Him.

If you have questions, concerns, objections or would just like to know more, I invite you to visit one of these very fine and solid churches listed below. Be sure to let the pastor know where you got this tract (you can show it to him). You can also contact this ministry through the website listed at the bottom of this page.
====================================

I'm laying it out in MS Publisher and will be printing at least 500 of them tonight. The building closes in 1 hour and 20 min.

Pray for this to get done rightly and also pray for the outreach with myself, Jolene, Mike, Jason and Yolanda tomorrow in Downtown B-more.

I was shooting to create at least 3 tracts, but I may only have time to get this 1 done. :( Oh well.

BlackCalvinist
05-04-2007, 07:34 PM
heh.

I should've called someone a heretic.

Then I would've gotten a response and more views at least.

Off to print at least 300.

BlackCalvinist
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
300 done. I'll fold them later. :)

Pray for 2morrow.

I'll put a PDF version up later. :)

dremarshall
05-04-2007, 07:54 PM
bruh just got home, but you in my daily's anyways!

apokalum
05-04-2007, 11:22 PM
BC, mind if I send this off in e-mail? Properly credited, of course..

BlackCalvinist
05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
No problem. Send away. Just provide a link to theologicallycorrect.com. I'm probably going to make this a link on my site in a few days.

Just look out for the two [img] tags I left floating around in there by accident when I posted.

I'll be writing up a few more tracts in the coming days and weeks. This summer's going to be a busy one for ministry.

shekinahsmoke
05-05-2007, 08:15 AM
:) :D lll very very nice BC. You sure you aint on living waters ministries payroll?

WhyMe
05-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Praying

BlackCalvinist
05-05-2007, 09:45 PM
:) :D lll very very nice BC. You sure you aint on living waters ministries payroll?

:lol: Yep, I had Ray Comfort's voice in my head while I was writing.

Man, I gotta blog about this. It's been a VERY interesting day.

Wait till Jason, Yolanda and Jolene get online.....

WhyMe
05-06-2007, 05:55 PM
So how did it go?

BlackCalvinist
05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll be blogging on it soon, fam. I gotta paper to get done this evening. But thanks for asking. :)

illuminaticx
05-06-2007, 11:31 PM
This is not a tract.. it's a book. :)

Just some things to consider:

Will anyone actually take the time to read this? I understand that you want to be detailed with the salvation message but this tract might not work.

Just look at how many reply's this thread got and we're believers. This is in no way to say that you wrote a bad tract. I'm simply bringing up the idea of it being too detailed and not really impacting the reader as it could if it were shorter.

Not trying to stereotype the people your witnessing to but you have to know who your targeting with these tracts. Is anyone from the hood really going to read this all the way through? Maybe but you want to bring it down a notch to their level so they can really grasp what your trying to present to them.

Now, I pray that they do read it and get an understanding of the Gospel being presented. This could really lead a sinner into repentance. However, It's like watching an episode of WOTM on paper. It's better to communicate it and carry the message into detail that way rather than read it and try to keep the reader tuned in to what you are saying.

Praise God for going out there and witnessing!! That's what it's all about brO.. God is doing an awesome thing in your life right now. :)

J =]

The_Expositor
05-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Maybe they won't read it that day, but many will put it in their pockets, almost forgetting about it. But, eventually, they may decide to take a look. I don't think we need to dumb it down for folks, or make it shorter so they'll read it. Half way explaining man's sin problem and God's solution to that problem is why we have so many false converts runnin' around as it is.

illuminaticx
05-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Maybe they won't read it that day, but many will put it in their pockets, almost forgetting about it. But, eventually, they may decide to take a look. I don't think we need to dumb it down for folks, or make it shorter so they'll read it. Half way explaining man's sin problem and God's solution to that problem is why we have so many false converts runnin' around as it is.

Right. No problem with being optimistic and looking at it from that stand point. God is able!! I did say they could read it. I'm not trying to limit what God can do. ;)

I just brought up an idea. Not saying he should listen to me or entertain my opinion. Just a thought. I think you are misunderstanding the point. I think maybe he should articulate all his ideas and the message into a smaller compatible size. Not halfway explaining man's sin problem. That's not what I was trying to say but I don't have a problem with you bringing it up. :)

Think about ipods...lol. Small but you could fit 1,000 songs in it compared to a cd player. So, fit all the message in but compress it down.

Don't think that small tracts cause false converts brO. Don't think that long tracts cause strong believers. Just stick to the root of what was presented.

J =]

BlackCalvinist
05-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Sup J.

This is not a tract.. it's a book.

Brochure, actually. :D I'll take a pic with one in a day or two so you can see.

Will anyone actually take the time to read this? I understand that you want to be detailed with the salvation message but this tract might not work.Yes, they will and yes they do. Several folk that we didn't even talk to (and a few that we did) stood there at the bus stop and read the whole thing.

Just look at how many reply's this thread got and we're believers.That's because people who are full don't hunger for food. *big grin*

that a some people on HCR are just flat out spiritually lazy..... or their lives are based on 'shortcut Christianity', so any remotely long reading (longer than 3 paragraphs) is considered a book. LOL

Not trying to stereotype the people your witnessing to but you have to know who your targeting with these tracts. Is anyone from the hood really going to read this all the way through? Maybe but you want to bring it down a notch to their level so they can really grasp what your trying to present to them.Ask Yolanda about our convo yesterday with 'Mac'. That boy is 15 and more articulate than some adults I've met with degrees. People need to stop assuming that 'the hood' is STUPID. People can read. And just like kids who can barely walk take the time to learn 'Irreplacable' by Beyonce or learn how to use a Gameboy's controls for Pokemon Blue or Gold, folk can take time and read a tract.

Besides, everything above is in conversational style and very simplified. Nothing heavy up there. I write for an 8th grade level when doing 'outside' stuff because that's what most book companies do nowadays.

Now, I pray that they do read it and get an understanding of the Gospel being presented. This could really lead a sinner into repentance.Thanks, fam! Praise God for a clear gospel message going forth.

However, It's like watching an episode of WOTM on paper. Good. I was channeling my inner-Todd while writing.

It's better to communicate it and carry the message into detail that way rather than read it and try to keep the reader tuned in to what you are saying. that's actually a lot of what we did. Talked with them, presented the gospel, walked through it with them and gave them a tract having both the gospel AND sound churches in the immediate area for them to visit.

thanks for the feedback, lumi. Presshiate it and keep this portion of my/our/the ministry in prayer.

BlackCalvinist
05-07-2007, 12:17 AM
Right. No problem with being optimistic and looking at it from that stand point. God is able!! I did say they could read it. I'm not trying to limit what God can do. ;)

I just brought up an idea. Not saying he should listen to me or entertain my opinion. Just a thought. I think you are misunderstanding the point. I think maybe he should articulate all his ideas and the message into a smaller compatible size. Not halfway explaining man's sin problem. That's not what I was trying to say but I don't have a problem with you bringing it up. :)

Think about ipods...lol. Small but you could fit 1,000 songs in it compared to a cd player. So, fit all the message in but compress it down.

Don't think that small tracts cause false converts brO. Don't think that long tracts cause strong believers. Just stick to the root of what was presented.

J =]

Well, what he's aiming for is this - it's not so much the length of the tract that's the issue, but the content of the tract. I want people to *think* when they read this. I wrote it in a conversational tone - so they can feel not like they're reading a book....but like someone is speaking to them. We use much more than just 5-10 or even 300 words in a short convo. So I treated this tract just like that.

A lot of tracts that we've seen that try to be short and less detailed (and I've personally seen many) don't present a proper gospel message. I've even seen a few that don't mention sin at all except in passing - how is someone supposed to know they're a sinner if they're not told what sin is ? There's that clip they play at the beginning of WOTM with Benny Hinn saying 'you'll never win anyone to Christ if you tell them they're going to hell. Just focus on the positive - God loves you, Jesus died for you...etc...' and that's EXACTLY what Expo was talking about when he mentioned false converts.

Law brings conviction of sin. Gospel shows remedy for penalty of sin. A lot of false converts happen because people present a gospel that ignores the law and presents the gospel only as God being a loving grandfather who wants to give you all this stuff if you just 'let Him into your heart'. No mention of sin, God's holiness, wrath, etc.... and those are necessary things to mention.

Feel me ?

BlackCalvinist
05-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh, and here's an account (from my perspective) on the day's events:

http://hcr.fm/forum/showthread.php?t=17417

illuminaticx
05-07-2007, 12:58 AM
No mention of sin, God's holiness, wrath, etc.... and those are necessary things to mention.

Feel me ?

Of course.. :)

I know what he was saying...lol. I didn't have a problem with him bringing it up. I never said take part of the message of sin out to leave room for just the positive parts. I think that is clear. What I mean when I say too detailed is you go far into a convo and your readers, no matter how educated or uneducated, most likely would loose interest. Even Donland Trump might not read it all the way through. It's not fair to call HCR members lazy if they don't like reading. Everyone has their own preference.

You said that they were reading it right? How many read through it quickly? I know I do that when someone hands me something at the mall. If they are friendly I take time to read it but if it's long I skim through it. It's coo to think positive and believe that these people will read it all the way through and some might. But I think smaller and to the point is more effective. :)

Oh, have you seen the tracts WOTM uses? Those are good. That's what I'm talkin' about.

J =]

shekinahsmoke
05-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Umm where's the PDF version of this tract.. I kinda umm .. would like to use it and stuff.. :)