PDA

View Full Version : WHen you put someone on to HHH, what artists do you direct them to first?

DJ Wade-O
03-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Does it depend on who it is? What things do you consider?

I have my own philosophy on this, but I am anxious to hear what others say about it.

Quiet storm
03-08-2007, 01:56 PM
It depends on who the person is and what style they like. When I use to live in KY for school cats down there liked the "down south" style so I would let them hear cats like the 116 clique and cats like that. Just the other month I was chillin with my boy from Philly and he prefers east coast music that has a "street" appeal to it and some good lyricism so I let him hear some R Swift and he was feelin it. My youth group prefers to listen to the kind of sound that is hot on the radio so I try to play music that will appeal to their taste buds. It all boils down to who it is.

ThaWatcher
03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
It depends on where they are spiritually:

New believers who are heavy into hip hop- Corey Red and Precise Mixtapes (I'm not saying that CR&P don't have "meat" but they have a sound that grabs prople quickly).

After they chew on those for a while I hit them off with CM.

DJ Wade-O
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
I try to match musical style first and then decide how much theology I think the person can handle or will tolerate.

Quiet storm
03-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I try to match musical style first and then decide how much theology I think the person can handle or will tolerate.

From my experience when it comes to unsaved cats that I have dealt with they can deal with theological HHH (CM, Lampmode, Reach) if they recogonize skill. I have honestly never had one of my unsaved friends tell me to turn something off for "talking to much bible" it has always been an issue of skill with them. I know others have had the opposite expereience that has just been mine.

DJ Wade-O
03-08-2007, 02:29 PM
It is typically the skill that is brought up. On the flip though...I was talking to a fairly promenint artist (who will remain nameless) who told me that a lot of people he has come in contact with didn't want to feel like they are preached too. And that I understand too, because I personally didn't like CM the first few times I heard them, because of that same fact.

dogfight!
03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I usually just send them to Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/dogfightmusic) or give them my CD. :)

DJ Wade-O
03-08-2007, 02:36 PM
I usually just send them to Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/dogfightmusic) or give them my CD. :)

I didn't know you rhymed. I just read the blog on how yu got your name. That's dope fam.

Brinson
03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Jovan Mackenzy, Zee, KNINE, 2Five tha Hood Rev, Twyse, Reach Records, Rswift!!

Da Truth, Under5ive, Todd Bangz, Corey Red & Precise

all of them then i ask them what type of style they like

Shock~Therapy
03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I have honestly never had one of my unsaved friends tell me to turn something off for "talking to much bible" it has always been an issue of skill with them.

That's funny. I have had that experience several times. Even with artists who I don't consider to be theological heavy in their content.

Quiet storm
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
That's funny. I have had that experience several times. Even with artists who I don't consider to be theological heavy in their content.

Its funny cause I will hear other christians knocking cats for being to theological saying stuff like "the streets dont want to hear that" but the "street cats" I know dont have a problem with it they are just concerned with skill.

eyesofphaith
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Its funny cause I will hear other christians knocking cats for being to theological saying stuff like "the streets dont want to hear that" but the "street cats" I know dont have a problem with it they are just concerned with skill.

like you said QS we all have different experiences with different folks and have to adapt accordingly. I'm sure you've heard me echo most street cat's I've run into don't wan't to hear CM or Lampmode but there have been a few that when that's the first thing they hear me play in my car are like "who dat, yo, kid is nice". But you know what? I guess there more than one kind of street cat. What I mean is you have your rugged gutter cats who are immersed in a gang, drugs etc., and you have you college street cat or just your street cat that is just always laid back on chill mode, and just wanna hang with the guys, shoot ball, and get honeys...nahmean? Of course street cats are not limited to the examples I just gave but hopefully u get my drift.

Big B 2212
03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
So far I have really only tried to get some of the youth that are saved (or at least are at church and in youth group) to listen to better music. I usually start with some Lecrae and 116. I also check what they like, but more often than that I will just let them listen to what I am feeling at the moment.

YO!! Check out this song works real good!

I know my cousin has bought a few Stephen the Levite CDs for people who really appreciated the skill.

So far I am limited in what I have access to as far as HHH goes, yet I am practically overwhelmed with all of the stuff I am finding online. It's a bit harder to tell someone to go listen to a song on myspace though. I do try to keep almost nothing but artists on my myspace top friends, so the youth (and others) have a greater chance of finding them.

*edit*
not to mention getting them hooked on the Wade O show!

eyesofphaith
03-08-2007, 05:10 PM
like you said QS we all have different experiences with different folks and have to adapt accordingly. I'm sure you've heard me echo most street cat's I've run into don't wan't to hear CM or Lampmode but there have been a few that when that's the first thing they hear me play in my car are like "who dat, yo, kid is nice". But you know what? I guess there more than one kind of street cat. What I mean is you have your rugged gutter cats who are immersed in a gang, drugs etc., and you have you college street cat or just your street cat that is just always laid back on chill mode, and just wanna hang with the guys, shoot ball, and get honeys...nahmean? Of course street cats are not limited to the examples I just gave but hopefully u get my drift.

I love to see conversion from sinner to salvation that's why I tailor to street cats who don't wan't preachy sounding HHH and every once in a while I am inspired to write to build the body. I am yet much more excited about taking a part (sowing, watering) in the conversion (manifesting change) than building...there are enough HHH MC's doing that in my opinion and not enough on the other side. Just my thoughts. So if you know cats that I tailor too send them to the signature. Peace

joseph29
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
yeah for me it also depends where im at. When i'm home in jersey, i'd let cats listen to that R swift joint, especially "my block" track. Also Japhia Life is another artist cats from back home feel. in nashville, i'd let cats listen to that 116 joint.

thenewguy07
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I just put em on to Andale, Lecrae, Flame, and Da T.R.U.T.H.

jnorman888
03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Does it depend on who it is? What things do you consider?

I have my own philosophy on this, but I am anxious to hear what others say about it.

Yeah,

it all depends on who the person is and their tendencies. If you know the person well then you know what they would like versus what they wouldn't like.

A good idea is to give them a mixtape with different artist and then ask them who they liked.

jnorman888
03-09-2007, 09:58 AM

That's true too!!! And that's why I was upset at certain christian M.C.'s that changed because they said that they wanted to reach more people. Or that some cats overseaz told them that they wanted their sound to sound more like that crap on B.E.T. and M.T.V. !!!!

MAN!!!! Don't be listenning to people overseaz that want you to dumb down your flow, and sound like them clowns on TV!!!! Don't bow down to people overseaz!!! Stay the way you are with the flow and content you have!!!

Well lets just say that I dislike those new albums by cats that use to spit hard and deep. When Cats change like that I can tell that it's rushed and that their heart ain't in it because it sounds all boring and wack!!!! Infact, I gotta hide such C.D.'s from people because Christian rap has gotten a bad rap for years! And I can't afford to send out wack stuff to people!!!

SO BE YOURSELF!!!! Don't be all wack and Corny because you wanna reach more people!!!! IF YOU DOn't LIKE the beat you are flowing to then don't spit over it!!!! Spit over beats you can feel and sound good over!!! Don't change just because you wanna reach more people!!! Yeah maybe one or two songs on the album is ok, but don't make your whole album Corny!!!

StreetSermonz
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
shai linne and Flame - dope production, undeniable skill, solid Word.
The Genocide LP by the Yuinon is also a great CD I would recommend.

Like QS said, when it comes to hiphop, most people will listen if the beats are tight and the emcee has a smooth flow, is original, and has clever rhymes. Especially with all the crap that is out right now, some HHH is a like a breathe of fresh air compared to the junk that is coming out, both on the mainstream and underground levels.

noblevessel
03-09-2007, 10:39 AM
TO be honest you have I try nd figur eout the regionand skill set they like in our secualr conuterparts. Really some ar emore focused on production style, others emotion and charisma, soung wrting ability, storytelling, and/or vocab. For example with my Cousing he can appreciate several regions styles...thogh he is form the south he prefers West Coast and east coast Flavor. In particular Pac is his favorite artist period but he cna get down with Jadakiss Nas, Dead Prex ,or Talib Kweli. That far reaching with regards to styles, abilities, etc. And that an ecletic mix for a person some would call a "street cat" (which I nowfeel has become too genralized a term for the surprisingly diverse personalities that make up what some call the "hood). Going from that I would have a delicate blend of songs from cats I know that express emotion, transparency, utilize skill, and present thought provoking messages. Cats from CMR to Beatmart have cats that fit the bill but it may not b there whole album so I make a mix of their songs that would fit their musical taste while also presenting a sound Gospel message accordingly. Peace.

CHRISTion
03-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't understand this logic of people saying something is "too preachy"--exactly what does that mean? ANY song (regardless of religious message or secular message) that tells somebody to DO something is "preachy". To say "You should vote!!"-that is preachy. To say "You should love your mother"-that is preachy. And if an artist is telling someone to "repent and be saved" or "turn from your wicked ways" or "stop smoking weed" to "read the bible" to "go to church" to "believe in Christ" or anything like that THAT IS PREACHY!!!

Personally, I've only heard really 1 artist be like someone who is giving a sermon on the mic and THAT is Timothy Brindle (and at times shai). Everybody else pretty much gives a solid (please don't think I'm minimizing by using the term "solid" either, because I have love for all my brothers who are puttin it down for Christ in their own way) and clear view of the Gospel...so really, I don't see the diff between someone giving a person CM, Lecrae, Da truth, Corey Red, or Todd Bangz. ALL OF THEM present some sort of "preachy" message if they say ANY of those phrases I mentioned above, then they are preachy.

And btw why do WE start thinking for the people who we approach with the music? How do we know the avg "street" cat won't "feel" Tim Brindle?? It seems like we think people in the street are idiots and it will go over their head. The POWER is NOT in the listener, the artist, or the one giving them the music, the POWER is in GOD-and HE can take a person who is as smart as a paper clip and let them understand all of His doctrines with no proper training AT.ALL.

Acts 4:1 The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2 They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead...4 But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand.

5 The next day the rulers, elders and teachers of the law met in Jerusalem...7 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?" 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone. 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." 13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

DJ Wade-O
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't understand this logic of people saying something is "too preachy"--exactly what does that mean? ANY song (regardless of religious message or secular message) that tells somebody to DO something is "preachy". To say "You should vote!!"-that is preachy. To say "You should love your mother"-that is preachy. And if an artist is telling someone to "repent and be saved" or "turn from your wicked ways" or "stop smoking weed" to "read the bible" to "go to church" to "believe in Christ" or anything like that THAT IS PREACHY!!!

Personally, I've only heard really 1 artist be like someone who is giving a sermon on the mic and THAT is Timothy Brindle (and at times shai). Everybody else pretty much gives a solid (please don't think I'm minimizing by using the term "solid" either, because I have love for all my brothers who are puttin it down for Christ in their own way) and clear view of the Gospel...so really, I don't see the diff between someone giving a person CM, Lecrae, Da truth, Corey Red, or Todd Bangz. ALL OF THEM present some sort of "preachy" message if they say ANY of those phrases I mentioned above, then they are preachy.

And btw why do WE start thinking for the people who we approach with the music? How do we know the avg "street" cat won't "feel" Tim Brindle?? It seems like we think people in the street are idiots and it will go over their head. The POWER is NOT in the listener, the artist, or the one giving them the music, the POWER is in GOD-and HE can take a person who is as smart as a paper clip and let them understand all of His doctrines with no proper training AT.ALL.

Acts 4:1 The priests and the captain of the temple guard and the Sadducees came up to Peter and John while they were speaking to the people. 2 They were greatly disturbed because the apostles were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection of the dead...4 But many who heard the message believed, and the number of men grew to about five thousand.

5 The next day the rulers, elders and teachers of the law met in Jerusalem...7 They had Peter and John brought before them and began to question them: "By what power or what name did you do this?" 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone. 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." 13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

If the person is really close to you, you know what they will be able to receive or not. Sometimes its not about skill. Again, I've been there myself.

But you make some good points though...I do wish that didn't have to be taken into consideration. But it depends on if you want them to keep listening to it, or if you just want to expose them to it

CHRISTion
03-09-2007, 12:48 PM
I feel you wade...but I'm just saying we should rely MORE on God's Power to change their heart, than anything else (like putting the POWER in the music). I mean, it seems like if we are in East and the cats we are ministering to ALL love the street and they only listen to Jay and Nas etc and we hand 'em Lecrae that they probably wouldn't "feel" it, but even if they don't... that's not a reflection on how good or wack the music is, because it is GOD that changes the hearts of men, so we should continue to be Seed planters (1 Corinthians 3) and let God give the increase.

Great Topic though :cool:

jnorman888
03-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I feel you wade...but I'm just saying we should rely MORE on God's Power to change their heart, than anything else (like putting the POWER in the music). I mean, it seems like if we are in East and the cats we are ministering to ALL love the street and they only listen to Jay and Nas etc and we hand 'em Lecrae that they probably wouldn't "feel" it, but even if they don't... that's not a reflection on how good or wack the music is, because it is GOD that changes the hearts of men, so we should continue to be Seed planters (1 Corinthians 3) and let God give the increase.

That may sound good in theory but give a bunch of cats you know HHH C.D.'s that you ain't feeling, and see what they say. Sometimes I gotta hide C.D's in the car because I don't want people to play them and be like.........."Is this what HHH is all about?......."Man this is wack....take that crap out!"

It happened before........and I ain't saying who the rapper was either. I said some bad things about that album some years ago on here.

CHRISTion
03-09-2007, 01:36 PM
That may sound good in theory but give a bunch of cats you know HHH C.D.'s that you ain't feeling, and see what they say. Sometimes I gotta hide C.D's in the car because I don't want people to play them and be like.........."Is this what HHH is all about?......."Man this is wack....take that crap out!" JNorm-"Good in Theory"? Since when did relying on God's Power (aka THA BIBLE) become only "good in theory"? I gave you scripture (1 Corin. 3) to back up what I said. What scripture will you give me where it shows we need to rely on our own power to get people to change their life and honor God through the right cd given out?? :confused:

Honestly, I've heard a LOT of Gospel rap music that will NEVER get another play in my ride...but some of that same music has been a favorite (well...at least they SAY it's a favorite) in other circles.

DJ Wade-O
03-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Except you have to watch which seeds you plant. You put tomato seeds in an apple patch. The soil aint coltivated for that.

Deciding which artists to share with people based on musical preferences and theology found in the music...is making sure you are planting the appropriate seeds in the right field. You are still putting the power in the music...you're just using discernment to aid in which seed to plant where.

And just to reiterate...I totally agree with the "how wack it is" comments you made. But for me personally, just because I don't play certain artists for certain people, doesn't mean I that artist is wack. It just means I may not think that person will dig that artist.

jnorman888
03-09-2007, 01:41 PM
JNorm-"Good in Theory"? Since when did relying on God's Power (aka THA BIBLE) become only "good in theory"? I gave you scripture (1 Corin. 3) to back up what I said. What scripture will you give me where it shows we need to rely on our own power to get people to change their life and honor God through the right cd given out?? :confused:

Honestly, I've heard a LOT of Gospel rap music that will NEVER get another play in my ride...but some of that same music has been a favorite (well...at least they SAY it's a favorite) in other circles.

I agree with you that it is God who saves. I'm not saying we save people. I'm just saying giving them something they will like. We can plant seeds all day but it is God who makes it grow.

I'm talking about planting seeds cousin!!!!

Enlighten
03-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Cross Movement for my Teens and Lampmode for those who my question the music being ministry.

Lynaz24
03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Whateva I bump consistently, I let em listen to it. If the prefer a genre then I let listen to an artist in that genre.