PDA

View Full Version : Is Poverty A Curse?

Enlighten
03-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Simple Question, I believe God's people dont have to be rich, it's possible but it's not an mandate. There is nothing wrong with wanting to to better. But as we know some people preach poverty as curse. what do u believe it is?

Fatbeezy
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
give your definition of poverty and prosperity.

J Hoyt
03-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Also define curse.

Enlighten
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Give Your Own Answers

Fatbeezy
03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Agur the proposed author of Proverbs 30 said in verse 8 ,"Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:" What strikes me about that is he ask God to take him from both sides of the spectrum and asked to just be given to him what He desires to give him. That right there let's us know that focus on poverty and/or riches are not the issue the issue is seeking first the kingdom. Poverty according to the greek and hebrew definitions of the 15 times it appears in the bible simply means to lack or want which is contrary to what God says are inalienable rights of the believer. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33) We will not lack if we seek Christ, not for things, but for relationship and direction. David said he never seen the righteous forsaken or their seed begging bread. He didn't say he never seen a righteous person without riches he just never seen one that wasn't provided for. Ultimately riches are not synonomous with righteousness but poverty or lack is not synonomous with righteousness either. What is synonomous with righteousness is contentment.

Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. But godliness with contentment is great gain.
(1 Timothy 6:5-6)