PDA

View Full Version : Some Random Thoughts/Questions on HHH for discussion

CHRISTion
02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
I was thinking about this as I was riding home from the CBS--

what role does HHH play in your life, and what role do you think it plays as a whole?

Is it just an alternative to secular rap, OR is it supposed to be something else?

-Also-
When listening to HHH does it put you in the mood to Worship?

aND if you're not thinking about worship when you listen to the majority of the songs (artists), what sort of things cross your mind? I know people worship in different ways, and Worship doesn't just mean when you are crying, or bowed down on your knees with hands up to God... but if that's not how you Worship God, I wonder how you do worship God to a HHH song that is bangin in your ear?? Also, do you think HHH should do more to get the believer to Worship the Lord-or are you content with just bobbin your head??

Just some random thoughts...discuss

Quiet storm
02-06-2007, 01:17 AM
Ahhh a thread about HHH this is what I like to see.

what role does HHH play in your life, and what role do you think it plays as a whole?

Its the only genre of music I listen to its been that way since I was a kid. The role I see it playing is that it is a vehicle which communicates the gospel to the lost and it also edifies the saints. I also see it as entertaining because somedays I just like to go driving roll the windows down and bump my music to relax.

Is it just an alternative to secular rap, OR is it supposed to be something else?

I personally dont look at it as an "alternative" especially based on the fact I was introduced to rap music first by HHH and not secular. I see it as a vehicle like I described earlier.

-Also-

Yes which is why it personally urks me when cats make a distinction between HHH and worship music. I worship the Lord not only through my songs but also the songs I hear from others.

1-Lyfe
02-06-2007, 01:22 AM
interesting topic fam. Dillon Chase has got a bangin' view on how we should approach HHH as fans/supporters. y'all should by his album to find out that view. trust me, you won't be disappointed. much love to D. Chase....your project has been in heavy rotation in my whip, lol!

CHRISTion
02-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Is it just an alternative to secular rap, OR is it supposed to be something else?Yo Q, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. If somebody else has a view on this question, I'd like to see it. I personally was brought up listening to secular, so Christian rap became a very good alternative for me-but sometimes it has me thinking what good I'm doing listening to it, ESPECIALLY if the "Gospel" music I'm listening to isn't [I]that different than the secular stuff...:( ...because truth be told, it's EASY to go back to sec music (just speaking for me here) if it's a song that's catchy and doesn't glorify sin-I just don't see the much difference between that song and one by a "Gospel lite" song. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by CHRISTion
-Also-

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm: Yes which is why it personally urks me when cats make a distinction between HHH and worship music. I worship the Lord not only through my songs but also the songs I hear from others.Q-I'm curious--can you name some specific songs that make you feel this way, cuz I don't know of many that I listen to. Also, when you say it puts you in the mood to worship-can you be specific and say in what way? [As in, does it cause you lift your hands and worship the Lord-or just have a mindset stayed on Him...or...what?] Thanks buddy :)

savedbygracealone
02-06-2007, 09:59 AM
hey... just wanted to add in my 2 pennies :o

since worship is a lifestyle, and not just the times when you stop and start bawling (although that can be worship as well)...

if the hhh is saturated with exortations, rebukes, encouragements and the word of God, OF COURSE it encourages me to worship!!! and not just a brief moment of emotional output, but a lifestyle of being a living sacrifice to HIM! :D

Shock~Therapy
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM

-Also-

aND if you're not thinking about worship when you listen to the majority of the songs (artists), what sort of things cross your mind? I know people worship in different ways, and Worship doesn't just mean when you are crying, or bowed down on your knees with hands up to God... but if that's not how you Worship God, I wonder how you do worship God to a HHH song that is bangin in your ear?? Also, do you think HHH should do more to get the believer to Worship the Lord-or are you content with just bobbin your head??

Well... this is not quite an easy question to answer. First of all, worship is a lifestyle of submission to God, not just a single act of reverence. To that note most of the HHH that I listen to assists me in worship, by either edifying, encouraging, and rebuking me or acknowledging God's holiness. On the flip side, it truly depends on the particular song and my mindset at the time which I listen to it. If I am more concerned with the rhyme schemes and the beat rather than the message at the time that I listen to it then that shows that I am listening to it from an entertainment aspect at that time.

Quiet storm
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Q-I'm curious--can you name some specific songs that make you feel this way, cuz I don't know of many that I listen to. Also, when you say it puts you in the mood to worship-can you be specific and say in what way? [As in, does it cause you lift your hands and worship the Lord-or just have a mindset stayed on Him...or...what?] Thanks buddy :)

Honestly its the majority of the music I listen to causes me to worship so it would be impossible for me to start listing songs. To me worship music is not limited to "slower songs" with a soft piano playing. The lyrics are what leads me to worship not the genre of music. Well sometimes it causes me to lift my hands but a lot of times I am driving so that wouldnt be to safe cause I cant drive with my knees. I simply reflect on the Lord and praise and thank him for who he is and for saving somebody so undeserving of his grace like myself.

CHRISTion
02-06-2007, 10:25 AM
hey... just wanted to add in my 2 pennies :o

since worship is a lifestyle, and not just the times when you stop and start bawling (although that can be worship as well)...

if the hhh is saturated with exortations, rebukes, encouragements and the word of God, OF COURSE it encourages me to worship!!! and not just a brief moment of emotional output, but a lifestyle of being a living sacrifice to HIM! :D

Well... this is not quite an easy question to answer. First of all, worship is a lifestyle of submission to God, not just a single act of reverence. To that note most of the HHH that I listen to assists me in worship, by either edifying, encouraging, and rebuking me or acknowledging God's holiness. On the flip side, it truly depends on the particular song and my mindset at the time which I listen to it. If I am more concerned with the rhyme schemes and the beat rather than the message at the time that I listen to it then that shows that I am listening to it from an entertainment aspect at that time.
Did your guy's pastor just have a sermon on HHH and worship or something?? your responses are oftly similar :confused: -were you guys talking on the phone at the same time when you posted?? :p

savedbygracealone
02-06-2007, 10:32 AM
lol no, he just copied me!

Shock~Therapy
02-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Did your guy's pastor just have a sermon on HHH and worship or something?? your responses are oftly similar :confused: -were you guys talking on the phone at the same time when you posted?? :p

lol. No. It's just that Great Minds think alike. ;)

DJ Wade-O
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM

-Also-

1. Its the soundtrack of my life. All day everyday I listen to music.
2. It is an alternative for me. And I see nothing wrong with that. Obviously I love God, but I like rap too. I grew up listening to Gospel and Secular Hip Hop. So for me...when I really need to meditate or make a concerted effort to Worship...I rock with Gospel music 9 times out of 10. Not saying HHH can't do that...but thats not my prefered method.
3. Sometimes. Depends on who it is. Every HHH song aint a song meant for worship.
4. All types of stuff...would this song work for my show, I think about how god God is, sometimes I admire how dope the artist is, sometimes I think..man thats an intereting way to interpret that scripture, or wow...i need to apply this principle to my life.

It all depends. FOr me I just try to enjoy the music. Its not so much about worship God everytime I hear music. I listen to Gospel Music too so its all good.

To me...a lot of musicians try to hard to make "worship Music." They think of inciting a "feeling" in a person is what they should be shooting for. Just glorify God.

CHRISTion
02-06-2007, 12:24 PM
1. Its the soundtrack of my life. All day everyday I listen to music.
2. It is an alternative for me. And I see nothing wrong with that. Obviously I love God, but I like rap too. I grew up listening to Gospel and Secular Hip Hop. So for me...when I really need to meditate or make a concerted effort to Worship...I rock with Gospel music 9 times out of 10. Not saying HHH can't do that...but thats not my prefered method.
3. Sometimes. Depends on who it is. Every HHH song aint a song meant for worship.
4. All types of stuff...would this song work for my show, I think about how god God is, sometimes I admire how dope the artist is, sometimes I think..man thats an intereting way to interpret that scripture, or wow...i need to apply this principle to my life.

It all depends. FOr me I just try to enjoy the music. Its not so much about worship God everytime I hear music. I listen to Gospel Music too so its all good.

To me...a lot of musicians try to hard to make "worship Music." They think of inciting a "feeling" in a person is what they should be shooting for. Just glorify God.
I appreciate the feedback, and I most def feel your point-these were just random thoughts...and I just began to think about how come I haven't really been feeling Gospel rap lately...and then I began to think about why when I want to worship, I *NEVER* bump a rap song (but maybe that's just me)--actually, I take that back, there's a few songs I can play by shai or Tim Brindle, but that's about it...

but yeah, I feel what you and others are saying-so thanks :)

DJ Wade-O
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I appreciate the feedback, and I most def feel your point-these were just random thoughts...and I just began to think about how come I haven't really been feeling Gospel rap lately...and then I began to think about why when I want to worship, I *NEVER* bump a rap song (but maybe that's just me)--actually, I take that back, there's a few songs I can play by shai or Tim Brindle, but that's about it...

but yeah, I feel what you and others are saying-so thanks :)

I dont think gospel rap or even reg. gospel has to just be about worship...AS LONG AS those intentions are stated up front. Maybe its praise music. Maybe its to educate...like T.R.U.T.H.'s incredible Christian Song. Feel me though? Its not a bad thing to not want to worship when you listen to HHH. Everything aint for everyone...but worship aint the only reason they make the music.

EO-Incorporated Elements
02-06-2007, 01:52 PM

-Also-

Role in my life. Considering I produce a lot in the genre, its a considerable part of my life. I started listening to it back in the grapetree days, so I have kind of grown up with it. Now, I work with it every day, so to say its a big part of my life would be an understatement.

It was always an alternative for me. I don't believe the genre has its own 2 feet to stand on yet to really be a driving force as an innovative genre. Grapetree and OGG'z got me from listening to a lot of the secular stuff I was vibing to. It was a blessing.

I have the curse of being a musician, so 99.9% of any hhh I'm listening to I am analyzing. Rather-instead of just hhh, lets just say music in general. Call it the curse of working in music-I check out music to see what else is going on-I rarely pop in a hhh cd for worship/reflection time. It just doesn't do it for me.

DJ Wade-O
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM
It was always an alternative for me. I don't believe the genre has its own 2 feet to stand on yet to really be a driving force as an innovative genre.

This is real talk right here family. People need to put this into perspective.

Quiet storm
02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
It was always an alternative for me. I don't believe the genre has its own 2 feet to stand on yet to really be a driving force as an innovative genre. .

Out of curiousity could you clarify this statement so that I will be clear in what you mean?

EO-Incorporated Elements
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
What I am saying is a generality, but as a whole I really do not feel the genre has a strong enough grasp on the business or the music to really be a force. That said, does the hhh genre really desire to be a 'force' in the music business? That's up for debate and the answer varies depending on who you ask. No one really owns the genre, so the answer is somewhat hard to pin down.

I do not want to hijack the thread-but in a music business that is slumping and needs to reinvent itself and its business practices, how many individuals in HHH are being innovative in their business models and approaches? Does the genre realize that the music business does not stop or consist of just music?

I also look at all the hhh music coming out, and its really the same thing over and over. Again, there are some exceptions, but as a whole- We really like to follow trends. When have we been at the forefront of anything outside of 'non-parental advisory stickers'? We really like to rap our hooks (I am all for a rap hook, but a well put together melody is where its at). we really like to explain what we did before we were saved and then tell the listener that 'Im a changed man now.'

I am not knocking anyone's ministry, busness practices, or their taste in music. I am also not saying I have all the answers! Its a great reminder to me as well to constantly think. I just encourage people to really step out of the box and be creative and innovative.

The God we serve created the entire world-we should have the upper hand.

fresh_disciple
02-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Well i found for me that HHH won't cut it all the time for strictly worship puposes alone, I need more. I guess it depends on certain songs and whatnot, but for me what really gets my vains pumping and in serious time of fellowship and prayer is slow worship tunes. There is just something about slow melodies that really speaks to me. So when i'm listening to HHH or rock i'm more listening for that bop and energy, which then allows me to make the transition into a time of worship.

Its a lot like praise music to me, HHH gives me that energy and flow to glorify God. Prepares and motivates me.
So i apperciate HHH in being that facilitator.

jeyjey34
02-07-2007, 07:36 PM

For me, HHH is my main choice of music. The role it plays in my life is that it constantly reminds me of the goodness of the Lord, which is why I only listen to certain artists.

It is not an alternative for me, personally, because it is my main choice of music. But for others, I think it is an alternative because some people don't have a problem listening to secular rap. Therefore, they listen to both for whatever reason.

It puts me in the mood for PRAISE because it is upbeat for the most part.

Jito el Cubano
02-07-2007, 11:32 PM

-Also-

These are some good questions...I'll answer in the order they are written.

1) HHH plays a role in my life as an burgeoning artist and as a man. As an artist, HHH gives me something to strive for: there is truly a genre of music that has artists representing the authenticity of the Gospel, and make it relevant to the youth as well (not saying other gospel genres don't do this, but speaking for myself, HHH does this well). As a man, it gives me examples of men who are living unashamedly in the truth of God, something we are all not exposed to.

2) Hmmm...I wouldn't call HHH just an alternative, but I would call HHH a means to lead the world to the ultimate solution, which is Christ is the only way. I grew up listening to secular hip hop/music, and still do at times. But I wouldn't look at something that God offers as an alternative; I believe alternative could end up meaning to look at HHH in laziness, like treating HHH as a replacement since our flesh can't be satisfied by what's out in the secular scene (which BTW is looking pretty pitiful).

3) I usually listen to music with intentness (being I'm an artist myself) so I don't really feel led to worship, I mostly listen analytically...However, I do feel led to prayer for the artist or even at times looking through Scripture if there is something I want to investigate.

4) To answer the last question, I feel HHH should accomplish a couple of things: it should be used as a tool for the unsaved, and it should encourage believers, in their own way, to use a tool they've been given to reach their peers, family, general public, etc. through Jesus Christ. It could be cooking, dancing, public speaking, whatever. The main thing that HHH should exude is BOLDNESS. That's in the lifeblood of hip hop culture: its attitude is if you don't accept us, then we are going to take acceptance by force. Not saying that should be our mindset, if we are instructed through the Word to approach the unsaved/backslidden in truthful love, but to incorporate that boldness the world boasts and transform it into salvation and witness.