PDA

View Full Version : Alistar Begg has cancer

the answer
02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
A Letter from Alistair Begg

Dear Friends,

Last Sunday morning, January 21st, we began a new series of study at Parkside Church in the letter of James. The sermon title was, “When Trials Come”. I was particularly struck by J. B. Phillips’ paraphrase of verse 2:

When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives, my brothers, don’t resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends! Realize that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance.

In addressing the congregation I said that I had a sense that God would use these studies in a particular way in each of our lives to achieve His purposes. That is always true of the work of the Word, but there are times and seasons when the text of scripture “hits home” in ways we don’t anticipate.

The following Monday I had a doctor’s appointment. At the doctor’s recommendation, I had a biopsy yesterday. This morning, as I was studying James 1:3, he called to inform me that the results confirm that I have prostate cancer.

If you have listened to me preach for any length of time you will have heard me refer to the way in which a blood test or a call from the doctor can provide us with an opportunity to prove the reality of our Christian faith. So I have joined the ranks of many for whom I have prayed and whose prayers I now covet. Every indication suggests that this cancer is non-aggressive, localized, and treatable. I will know more after meeting with the oncologist some ten days from now.

The psalmist reminds us that our times are in His hands and so we rest content in the confidence that God is too wise to make a mistake and too kind to be cruel.

This is an occasion for some good hymns. How glad I am to take shelter in the truths contained in the CD by Keith and Kristyn Getty, which we offer to you this month. I smile to think of a great company of TFL listeners joining me from their cars and homes and offices in affirming the fact that,

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song.

With my love in the Lord Jesus,

Alistair

( I pray it's NOT Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29)

Redeemed
02-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Wow...may the LORD be with him and his family during this difficult time.

Single Eye
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
i thoroughly enjoy this brother's ministry...will keep him lifted in prayer, that God will glorify Himself through these circumstances!

Single Eye
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
oh and thanks so much for this post bro!!

The_Expositor
02-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Nobody rolls their r's like Alistair. I definitely will be praying for this great man of God. It's amazing how all of my favorite pastors are falling ill. John Piper last year. Albert Mohler, D. James Kennedy, and now Alistair Begg this year. Both Piper and Mohler have made full recoveries. I pray this is the same for Dr. Kennedy and Pastor Begg as well. If I lived in Ohio, I'd probably be a member.