PDA

View Full Version : More Chocolate In My Milk.

LifeInReturn
02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.reformedblacksofamerica.org/blog1/index.php?itemid=203 (http://www.reformedblacksofamerica.org/blog1/index.php?itemid=203)

Long article, but very well worth the read. You guys should weigh in on the comments section at the link.

And lets discuss here as well.

naijagirl
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice read. Doctrine isn't doctrine without action. I still have a few kinks in my brain over this (due to the fact that the neighborhood discussed is not the neighborhood I have been a part of, so I am completely detached and clueless). The culture I grew up in was completely different, but I still consider myself a Reformed Black. Oh well...

LifeInReturn
02-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Nice read. Doctrine isn't doctrine without action. I still have a few kinks in my brain over this (due to the fact that the neighborhood discussed is not the neighborhood I have been a part of, so I am completely detached and clueless). The culture I grew up in was completely different, but I still consider myself a Reformed Black. Oh well...

Sis, look past all that and at the heart of the matter. You're Reformed and you're Black. :) My neighborhood wasn't mentioned either, but that doesn't make the point X was driving home null and void. :)

I think it's a great article, taking me a minute to really formulate my thoughts. The site itself is wonderful and there are some bangin' sermons there as well. X's a cool dude and I'm sure Michael is as well. So you guys should not only read that article, but check the whole site... hot stuff by 2 articulate, intelligent, BLACK men that are theologically sound in Christ.

:D

savedbygracealone
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
i like chocolate!!! :D

Tony Stone
02-03-2007, 07:12 PM
i like chocolate!!! :D

tell me why i knew something like that was comming

savedbygracealone
02-03-2007, 07:15 PM
tell me why i knew something like that was comming

LOL!!! :D hehehe

The_Expositor
02-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Anybody like white chocolate?

Devin
02-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Anybody like white chocolate?

no not really....not as good as the REAL chocolate.:D j/k :p

LifeInReturn
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Sooo... who read the article ?

The_Expositor
02-04-2007, 12:01 AM
That is to say, because God is holy, then He must not only be concerned for individual holiness, but also societal holiness that will ultimately re-create Shenequa’s neighborhood into a more purified neighborhood as it reflects His eschatological brightness in holy heaven descending to earth. So if the Reformed bus map, which has such a high view of the holiness of God neglects Shenequa’s neighborhood, then such holiness is not truly holy, but rather hatred.

(From the article)

I'm not exactly sure what the highlighted phrase means, and I'll email Xavier, but is this more in lines with liberation theology? I think we should be concerned mightily with the social, economic and educational problems in our Black communites. I live in Baltimore, so trust that I understand it all too well. I went to a high school where we couldn't take our text books home and had to share them in class because the government piped all the money for education into the White schools, yet they expected us to pass standardized tests?

Maybe the answer lies within ourselves. I know most will say I am speaking out of turn, but since my father is Black and my mother is White, I speak from a different perspective, I know. Besides the government's lack or real concern for our Black communities, are there other reasons for the problems we face? Are we doing all that we can to make things better? We can sit and blame white folks for not caring enough, even our Reformed brothers and sisiters, but what good will that really do? Think about it, if the roles were reversed and it were White communities that were impoverished and lacking, would we care as much about them? If we're honest, probably not. It's our struggle.

I agree with someone who responded to the article on the site. They said that they didn't believe it was just a Black Reformed issue, but a church-wide issue. I agree. The true Church of Jesus Christ in America should be more active. But that's going to first take a self-examination.

To quote Dr. Tony Evans, from his book, "The Kingdom Agenda":

"If you want a better world, composed of better nations, inhabited by better states, filled with better counties, made up of better cities, comprised of better neighborhoods, illuminated by better churches, populated by better families, then you have to start by becoming a better person!"

What are we really willing to do to get things done?

Devin
02-04-2007, 12:25 AM
(From the article)

I'm not exactly sure what the highlighted phrase means, and I'll email Xavier, but is this more in lines with liberation theology? I think we should be concerned mightily with the social, economic and educational problems in our Black communites. I live in Baltimore, so trust that I understand it all too well. I went to a high school where we couldn't take our text books home and had to share them in class because the government piped all the money for education into the White schools, yet they expected us to pass standardized tests?

Maybe the answer lies within ourselves. I know most will say I am speaking out of turn, but since my father is Black and my mother is White, I speak from a different perspective, I know. Besides the government's lack or real concern for our Black communities, are there other reasons for the problems we face? Are we doing all that we can to make things better? We can sit and blame white folks for not caring enough, even our Reformed brothers and sisiters, but what good will that really do? Think about it, if the roles were reversed and it were White communities that were impoverished and lacking, would we care as much about them? If we're honest, probably not. It's our struggle.

I agree with someone who responded to the article on the site. They said that they didn't believe it was just a Black Reformed issue, but a church-wide issue. I agree. The true Church of Jesus Christ in America should be more active. But that's going to first take a self-examination.

To quote Dr. Tony Evans, from his book, "The Kingdom Agenda":

What are we really willing to do to get things done?

well expo i agree to an extent.but i believe that it is a church wide issue.but seeing how these are black issues.i think black ppl should deal with them.this includes dealing with ourselves.plus X never said it was a black reformed issue.i think he was just saying we could do better.

Devin
02-04-2007, 12:34 AM
cuz life asked me too...

heres the question i asked before about this very topic:

i know this might seem dumb and petty and pointless.but it was just something i was thinking about not too long ago.

how come when ppl mention there favorite Sound Doctrine preaching Preachers there always mentioning someone who is...um.....white?

i ask this because most of the Great Thelogians and Sound Doctrine preachers promoted and mentioned on here are white.

i never hear any Black Sound Doctrine preachers that are mentioned and promoted.

usually when a black preacher is mentioned its td,creflo.and thats definitely not a good start.

believe me when i say this..im NOT making this a RACE issue.i was just curious and wanted to see everyones take on this....

and....after me reading the article....

im reading it and its making perfect sense....i felt the need to ask this stuff becuase in some ways i think black christians are....hmm....how should i say this...."oreofied"..because of their christianity.and when i say this i say this NOT to start some 100 page debate.im only making observations.in the past ive wandered about certain black christians "blackness" on here.especially on the matters of JE and the slave thing.i mean.this is the same thread where a BLACK christians reffered to me and another BLACK christian as an WHINY NEGROE.so in that sense you can imagine why i kinda wandered about some of the Black Christians's "Blackness" on here.plus ive noticed that alot of times black christians are passive when it comes to issues that effect BLACK PPL...they say stuff like "God will handle it" and then thats it.nothing more.that seems pretty passive to me.sure God will handle it.but dont we have some sort of responsibilty aswell?after all.these are BLACK issues...just my observations...