PDA

View Full Version : Nation of Islam Leader Comes to Christ

eve
12-19-2006, 08:20 AM
A Conversation with Jeremiah Cummings

By Erik Tryggestad
The Christian Chronicle

http://www.cbn.com/images3/Jeremiah-Cummings2_MD.jpg

At first, Jeremiah Fard Muhammad thought he had a good customer. The devout Nation of Islam member had been a guest on a Dallas radio program, discussing his role in organizing local support for the Million Man March and the tenets of his faith. A minister, driving through Dallas, heard the program, went to Muhammad’s bookstore, “House of Knowledge,” and bought $137 worth of books on Islam. “I didn’t realize he was getting those books to debate me,” said the former Muslim, now known as Jeremiah Cummings. The customer was Jack Evans, president of Southwestern Christian College, Terrell, Texas. Evans challenged Muhammad to a radio debate, and later to a longer debate at Dallas’ Bronco Bowl.

Today that June 29, 1996 debate is legendary in church of Christ lore, and it began Cummings on a 13-month intensive study that led to his baptism July 14, 1997.

“I’m on fire because I know that I’m not in the church by accident,” he said.

He’s preached for churches in Racine, Wis., Woodbridge, Va., and Orlando, Fla., spoken at more than 100 gospel meetings and performed more than 1,000 baptisms. Now Cummings has launched a television ministry that he hopes will spread the Gospel to Muslims throughout the United States and, eventually, the world. His ministry, Worldwide International Campaign for Christ Television Network, has produced television shows that air in 47 states. Cummings is establishing a Web site for the new venture, wicctv.org, in addition to his existing site, www.jeremiahcummings.org.

Cummings lives in Orlando with his wife, Nancyah. The couple has five children, Terry, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Nenah and Nadiyah.

• What first convinced you to become a Muslim? What did you find attractive about the Islamic faith?

The attraction to Islam was the discipline taught by Minister Louis Farrakhan. The Nation of Islam taught me to be respectful of women (black women specifically). We were taught that a nation could rise no higher than its women. We were taught not to strike our women, but to honor them. If a group of Muslim men were in a room and a woman walked in, we would all stand to attention and offer our seat. This was good for me, because I saw — at a young age — women being abused by men.

We had strict dietary laws, no pork and one meal a day. This took discipline. I enjoyed the relationship I had with the leader of The Nation of Islam, Minister Farrakhan. He became the father I had never known.

• When you debated Jack Evans at the Bronco Bowl in 1996, what arguments did he present that made you reconsider your own faith?

Actually, it was the question I asked him concerning Jesus that had the biggest impact on me that night. The question was, “Where was Jesus in Genesis 1:1? ‘In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.’”

It was Dr. Evans’ answer that opened my eyes that night. He went to John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Then he said to me, “Do you want to know where Jesus was? I can show you where he was.” He then went to Colossians 1:16-17, “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible. ... and he is before all things, and by him all things consist.”

That was the beginning of my 13-month study of Jesus the Christ.

• What attitudes have you encountered from fellow Nation of Islam and Muslim practitioners since your 1997 baptism?

On July 13, 2003, in Athens, Ala., approximately five Muslims from the Islamic nation came to hear me preach. They gave me the utmost respect.

After I was baptized I went back to the mosque where I was the leader and preached, “Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my Faith.” I took three Muslims to the Eastland Church of Christ in Ft. Worth, Texas, and baptized them into Christ.

Minister Farrakhan, I was told, warned all the Muslim leaders to leave me alone, and I was told that he said that if they touched me he would deal with them. This reminds me of Moses when he returned to Egypt after his 40-year absence.

No one bothered Moses while in Egypt when he told Pharaoh, “Let my people go.”

• What convinced you to move into your current ministry — reaching people for Christ through television?
I have always been involved in television — from CBS to ABC — when I sang with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (lead tenor, 1974-81).

There is a huge void where truth should be in television ministries today, and I am thankful to God that he has blessed me to be one of those whom He has chosen to help fill the void with his true gospel.

I have stepped out on faith to establish WICC-TV (The Worldwide International Campaign for Christ Television Network), and with a few supporters have gone into 25 million homes.

• Explain the thrust of your ministry toward Muslims — using their own holy literature and teachings.

The best way to teach Muslims is to be a former Muslim. They will come out to hear what I have to say because they know that I know both the Koran and the Bible.

For example, Muslims deny the virgin birth of Jesus. But in the Koran the virgin birth is seen in Sura 21:91, “And as for Mary, who protected her virginity, and we breathed into her of our spirit (Holy Ghost in Luke 1: 35) and made her and her son a sign (Isaiah 7:14).”

This is a powerful testimony of the virgin birth out of the Muslims’ most cherished book. Also, in Sura 3:44, the angel Gabriel announces the conception of Jesus, and if you read it through verse 46 you will also see Luke 1:34.

• What are the biggest misconceptions church members have about Muslims in the United States?

All Muslims are not violent people. There are more good Muslims than there are violent ones. We have violent people who profess Christianity. If the Gospel is presented to Muslims effectively — out of love — then I believe that we can transform a lot of lives.

Muslims have not heard the Gospel. The Bible says, “How can they hear without a preacher, and how can he preach except he be sent?” (Romans 10:14-15)

I would like to be the one that God will send.

http://www.wicctv.org/images/side_jeremiah.jpg

• What are your long-term plans for the television ministry?

My 10-year plan is a 24-hour, 7-day-a-week Church of Christ network which will include programming for small children, teenagers and movies for the whole family. It will also include a Good News network and teaching and preaching programs.

This network will be broadcast all around the world and reach all countries.

I have always been accused of thinking too big. I have three gold and two platinum albums from my career with Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. I always saw the big picture. If I could see it then — when I wasn’t in Christ — I can certainly see it now that I am in Christ. I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. I just believe in the Word of God.

• Are churches of Christ doing enough to evangelize Muslims? Are we doing enough evangelism in general?

Too many of our congregations are at ease in Zion, and I sincerely mean no disrespect. Please notice how long it took me to hear the truth. I had traveled around the world four times and years had passed since then before I had the debate that eventually exposed me to the Church of Christ. ... We are the Light of the World, and that means that we are the eliminators of darkness.

• What, in your opinion, keeps churches of Christ from reaching Muslims?

The biggest hindrance is the lack of knowledge concerning Islam and fear. Am I afraid? No, because God has not given me the spirit of fear — but the sprit of power, love and a sound mind (wisdom).

My prayer is that this does not just become another article in the Christian Chronicle, but a call to action. This is the perfect time for the church to shine.

C-dero
12-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Great news Eve! Let the nations be glad!!!

Redeemed
12-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Praise God for those family saints He mobilizes to discuss and debate truth to plant a seed and not to make themselves appear to be intellectual.

Praise God for another brand snatched out of the fires of endless torment and drawn into the wonderous smile of the LORD.

StreetSermonz
12-19-2006, 08:50 AM
I saw him on TBN about a year ago with Bishop Eddie Long. He said that he still keeps contact with Farrakhan and has witnessed to him many times. Keep praying for those that are deceived by the NOI.

thankfull
12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Praise the Lord!

illuminaticx
12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Cool. :cool:

J =]

edDIE
12-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Praise God! Thanks for posting this.

Nimaha
12-19-2006, 11:02 AM
amen.. this is a true blessing..

and we are not called to live in fear...

shekinahsmoke
12-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Simply unbelievable. Glory to God the Most High! :)

Danielle
12-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Too many of our congregations are at ease in Zion, and I sincerely mean no disrespect. Please notice how long it took me to hear the truth. I had traveled around the world four times and years had passed since then before I had the debate that eventually exposed me to the Church of Christ. ... We are the Light of the World, and that means that we are the eliminators of darkness.

Boy this is so mind bottling. The key is that disciples are not being made that are fully educated in the scriptures, like they ought to be made. Only one person in his whole lifetime was equipped enough to display the gospel efficiently enough that changed his perspective.

Cyple
12-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Praise God....He would be a good tool for converting Muslims to Christ.

Side note why do Muslim men (well now Christian) always look like this? It's a certain look that they get in their eyes that is very similar in pictures that I've seen from a lot of Muslim cats. Or should I say there is a certain "air" about them. I can't put my finger on what it is.

http://www.cbn.com/images3/Jeremiah-Cummings2_MD.jpg
http://my.opera.com/salventura/homes/blog/Farrakhan.jpg

I am truly curious.

montenell
12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
thats great news

as for why the look like that could be familiar spirits. but thats another story i'm not even getting into

lisajames96
12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
thats great news

as for why the look like that could be familiar spirits. but thats another story i'm not even getting into

lol...oh...I was gonna say it was perspective(good or bad), but now, umm...:D

jnorman888
12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Praise God for those family saints He mobilizes to discuss and debate truth to plant a seed and not to make themselves appear to be intellectual.

Praise God for another brand snatched out of the fires of endless torment and drawn into the wonderous smile of the LORD.

The cambellites like to debate and they are pretty big in the state of Texas.

If you don't know who the Stone and Cambellites are.......you will if you go to this web site.

www.bible.ca

anyways I'm happy that dude became a christian.

Tarii_2sweet
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Thats old news.. wasn't he the one who had malcom X killed?