PDA

View Full Version : Gift of singleness?

savedbygracealone
12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
My friend and i were just talking about this today... how do you KNOW when you have the "gift of singleness?"

i mean, i have heard it said if you "dont desire a wife/husband" then you have the gift, but i have heard of many people who "had the gift" (missionaries etc) who remained single their whole lives, but did desire a wife/husband and got lonely at times...

then i was thinking that maybe we are gifted to be single for as long as we are single... that we are supposed to trust in the Lord, and if He brings along someone who is the person we're supposed to marry (by both of your accounts... you both want to/feel its in His will), then once u marry you have ur gift of marriage (or someting), but if you remain single for the rest of your life, you lived in the gift of singleness ur whole life? (does that make sense?)

what do you guys think?

(i KNOW that someone will post the script "its better to marry than to burn with passion" and it will prolly be emerson... lol)

BondServant
12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
"its better to marry than to burn with passion"

You were so wrong. :p

LaRosa
12-14-2006, 07:28 PM
being a married man with kids... trying to do ministry & different things, it's so tough... i could do SO much more if i were single

as a married man, next to Christ, my family comes first... and that's tough with some of the stuff i wanna do sometimes

lj.

savedbygracealone
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
lol... thanks for the replies.. but neither of you nutballs answered my question! :p lol

Jason718
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1cor%207:9&version=31

savedbygracealone
12-14-2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1cor%207:9&version=31

dangit!!! :mad: lol i should've never said that... i brought this on myself! blasted! lol. yes i just said blasted. :D :p

topherstyles
12-14-2006, 07:45 PM
dangit!!! :mad: lol i should've never said that... i brought this on myself! blasted! lol. yes i just said blasted. :D :p
Blasted?
LOL! when did you graduate from supervillian school again?:D

savedbygracealone
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Blasted?
LOL! when did you graduate from supervillian school again?:D

actually my friend says that all the time, or at least often enough that i picked it up! you know how you pick up the sayings of the peeps u hang out with most? lol. funny :D

does anyone have anything to say about the actual purpose of this post! lol

dogfight!
12-14-2006, 09:22 PM
I think it would be better if you described it as a calling rather than a gift. Now obviously if you are called you'll have the gifts to remain serving single. I agree, there are some that did desire to marry but were called to singleness.

Tis better to marry... but tis best to be obedient.

topherstyles
12-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I think it would be better if you described it as a calling rather than a gift. Now obviously if you are called you'll have the gifts to remain serving single. I agree, there are some that did desire to marry but were called to singleness.

true.
On a random note, almost everybody in my church is single folk, except for a few.:eek:

CHRISTion
12-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I don't have this gift, so I have no idea...

BondServant
12-15-2006, 12:15 AM

Wait until you get married, you'll be wishin you did. :eek:

J/K......or am I?

Yeah, I was just kiddin'. But...

Devin
12-15-2006, 12:52 AM

there u go..showing off again :rolleyes:

Tarii_2sweet
12-15-2006, 01:10 AM

There's 3 Rings when i comes to marriage.. Engagement ring, wedding ring, and SUF FER RING . AH HAHAHHAHHAHA

Tarii_2sweet
12-15-2006, 01:15 AM
The day i get married is when i need a MR FIX IT around the house. jk

Danielle
12-15-2006, 09:27 AM
There's 3 Rings when i comes to marriage.. Engagement ring, wedding ring, and SUF FER RING . AH HAHAHHAHHAHA

lol, tarii, that was too funny:D

I don't have the gift, I already know.

But I think that God gives us His grace for whatever situation that He has placed us in, in His will. So whether it's singleness for the rest of this earthly life, or just until marriage, if we are in God's will, then His grace will be enough to get us through. Would I consider it a gift, no necessarily, but rather a calling like Dogfight! stated.

ctide
12-15-2006, 09:31 AM
My friend and i were just talking about this today... how do you KNOW when you have the "gift of singleness?"

i mean, i have heard it said if you "dont desire a wife/husband" then you have the gift, but i have heard of many people who "had the gift" (missionaries etc) who remained single their whole lives, but did desire a wife/husband and got lonely at times...

then i was thinking that maybe we are gifted to be single for as long as we are single... that we are supposed to trust in the Lord, and if He brings along someone who is the person we're supposed to marry (by both of your accounts... you both want to/feel its in His will), then once u marry you have ur gift of marriage (or someting), but if you remain single for the rest of your life, you lived in the gift of singleness ur whole life? (does that make sense?)

what do you guys think?

(i KNOW that someone will post the script "its better to marry than to burn with passion" and it will prolly be emerson... lol)

sister jolene, the nun

ctide
12-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Tis better to marry... but tis best to be obedient.

no doubt, i think the church ignors this calling and gifting

some people just arent really attracted to others.... sadly, in our world... they will be labled gay

if a dude aint really interested in marrage and sex.... the worst thing he can do is get married outa peer preasure

until you are married, you are called to be single & gifted to remain pure!

savedbygracealone
12-15-2006, 09:50 AM
if you "dont have the gift" how do you know? did you read my whole post? what do you "think" the gift IS? (gift/calling) is it the fact your are called to be single for your whole earthly life, is it that you dont desire to be married, or is it that you just ARE NOT married now?

if you "dont have the gift" is that because you desire marriage? is that what qualifies us to have it or not?

lol@ctide :D

ctide
12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
if you "dont have the gift" how do you know? did you read my whole post? what do you "think" the gift IS? (gift/calling) is it the fact your are called to be single for your whole earthly life, or is it that you dont desire to be married?

if you "dont have the gift" is that because you desire marriage? is that what qualifies us to have it or not?

lol@ctide :D

jolene, honestly... scripture doesnt break it down that much

but if you arent married at the moment, you are called to be single in this season of your life

if you meet a guy as cool as me, and he shows intrest in you... unless you believe God is telling you not to... dont feel guilty to marry him

in alot of cases, the gift and calling isnt always life long... but everyone is born with it

dont fret about it, dont hunt boys down... but dont be closed to the option of marrage unless you really feel a strong urge from the holy spirit

marrage and procreation are part of this life

the rare gift/calling of celebacy is certainly a blessing for some... but most people arent called to it

dont be anxious, but know that God is in control

maybe im off, but it sounds to me like you are close to starting up a romantic relationship (based on a few of your questions in the past few weeks)

savedbygracealone
12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
ha, nope. thanks for the concern bro ctide tho! :D

i was just curious, i had heard many peoples takes on this topic, and i was wondering what exactly the "gift of singleness" was, whether just the gifting of while ur single, or whether it was actually a calling for your whole life to be single, and how you would know if u had that calling. :o

ctide
12-15-2006, 10:06 AM
ha, nope. thanks for the concern bro ctide tho! :D

i was just curious, i had heard many peoples takes on this topic, and i was wondering what exactly the "gift of singleness" was, whether just the gifting of while ur single, or whether it was actually a calling for your whole life to be single, and how you would know if u had that calling. :o

if you die single :D

dogfight!
12-15-2006, 10:25 AM
I actually deal w/this often since i serve in a Singles Ministry at church.

First, do you differentiate between the words: gift and calling? If you do, whats the difference? To you?

savedbygracealone
12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
I used the word "gift" because that is the word used in 1 Cor 7:7, and it is the same word used to describe the gifts of the spirit:

Greek Word: Cavrisma
Transliterated Word: charisma
Book to Display: 1 Corinthians
Verse Count: 7

1Co 1:7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Co 7:7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.
1Co 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
1Co 12:31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.And I show you a still more excellent way.

SustaGurl24
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Wow, people actually could die a virgin that couldn't be possible.: i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. kinda scary though

Jason718
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
if you die single :D

:D :D :D

dogfight!
12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
I used the word "gift" because that is the word used in 1 Cor 7:7, and it is the same word used to describe the gifts of the spirit:

Greek Word: Cavrisma
Transliterated Word: charisma
Book to Display: 1 Corinthians
Verse Count: 7

1Co 1:7 so that you are not lacking in any gift, awaiting eagerly the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
1Co 7:7 Yet I wish that all men were even as I myself am. However, each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.
1Co 12:4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
1Co 12:28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues.
1Co 12:30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they?
1Co 12:31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.And I show you a still more excellent way.

right. I wasnt questioning why you used the word. I was just asking what you felt the difference in those words were. Anyways...

for me just cuz you have a gift does not mean its your calling. I could have the gift of teaching but it doesnt mean my calling is to be a teacher. Paul referred to himself as a teacher but his calling was an apostle. We just finished studying this (gifts) so its still fresh in my memory. In 1 Cor 7, when Paul uses the word gift what gift exactly is he talking about? Seems like he's talking to the married people in that paragraph and then addresses the singles in the next verses. Maybe that is the gift of singleness, i dont know.

Anyway back to gift/calling. A calling is much more powerful than a gift. When you're "called" to be single; it means the work God has for you requires that you remain single. This could be with or without the desire to marry. It does require a willingness to sacrifice the pleasures of marriage for the work of God. Unfortunately, most of us are not willing to make that sacrifice and then say "its not my gift". We forget that if God calls us to remain single, we will be satisfied more than any marriage could satisfy us.

I wonder how many broken marriages were due to people who refused to accept their calling to singleness?

Ok, I'm "anti-long posts" so I'll stop for now. Am i making sense?

savedbygracealone
12-15-2006, 01:07 PM
hmm. ya. you make sense... thats interesting, so

Anyway back to gift/calling. A calling is much more powerful than a gift. When you're "called" to be single; it means the work God has for you requires that you remain single. This could be with or without the desire to marry. It does require a willingness to sacrifice the pleasures of marriage for the work of God. Unfortunately, most of us are not willing to make that sacrifice and then say "its not my gift". We forget that if God calls us to remain single, we will be satisfied more than any marriage could satisfy us.

how do you know if you have this calling?

ctide
12-15-2006, 01:32 PM
ok, i couldnt help it

http://media.pixpond.com/6y5ovuw.JPG

Quiet storm
12-15-2006, 01:34 PM
ok, i couldnt help it

ROFTFL the funniest thing I have seen on HCR in a mintue.

Tarii_2sweet
12-15-2006, 01:41 PM
ok, i couldnt help it

That actually looks like a real nun lol how'd you do that.

StreetSermonz
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM

you beat me to it! I don't have this gift either, but God surely is giving me to grace to maintain while I prepare for marriage.

savedbygracealone
ok, i couldnt help it

ROFL hahahahaaaa

ctide
That actually looks like a real nun lol how'd you do that.

how'd i do what?

http://media.pixpond.com/2i21rm.jpg

Tarii_2sweet
12-15-2006, 01:46 PM
how'd i do what?

http://media.pixpond.com/2i21rm.jpg

LOL neat!

dogfight!
12-15-2006, 02:50 PM
hmm. ya. you make sense... thats interesting, so

how do you know if you have this calling?

I dont think anyone can tell you if you have this gift or not. You kinda will know it. Like was said earlier, half-jokingly, if in your walk you don't marry... then you know. But to be sure, seek God about what your calling is. Question as to if it requires for you to remain single. Key is to be willing and be available for God's service even if it requires being single.

Shock~Therapy
12-16-2006, 01:01 AM
ok, i couldnt help it

:eek: Jolene... you've gone Catholic? No wonder why I didn't see you in church last week...

clayfilms
12-16-2006, 10:39 AM
hey sis..have you heard this sermon?

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/MediaPlayer/1667/Audio/

savedbygracealone
12-16-2006, 06:28 PM
LOL whats hilarious is i was the one that posted that on here, and then i think eve took it over to theyuinon lol... yup thanks :D

illuminaticx
12-16-2006, 07:29 PM
ok, i couldnt help it

LOL!!!

J =]