PDA

View Full Version : Can you be successful secular??

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 12:38 AM
You know what I mean!!! Aside from the anointing which is what makes us ALL effective. Could your ability or you gift make room for you in the secular industry?? Do you do Christian rap cause you sucked doing secular rap, and Christian rap accepts anyone that quotes scripture??? Let's get some feedback. I actually never did secular rap, I sang though, and I feel that if I were secular, I'd still be hot. What about you?

Devin
10-26-2006, 12:40 AM
lol...actually...i personally thing i'd be better doing secular rap....this is why im no longer rapping....maybe i could do some production.....but i aint tripping on that....im really non chalant(spell check please) when it comes to a career in hhh.......im more focused on going to school so i can get my RE license and make some $$$....

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 12:50 AM
lol...actually...i personally thing i'd be better doing secular rap....this is why im no longer rapping....maybe i could do some production.....but i aint tripping on that....im really non chalant(spell check please) when it comes to a career in hhh.......im more focused on going to school so i can get my RE license and make some $$$....
I hear you loot, I feel you too! Ace that test man

Shock~Therapy
10-26-2006, 12:54 AM
You know what I mean!!! Aside from the anointing which is what makes us ALL effective. Could your ability or you gift make room for you in the secular industry?? Do you do Christian rap cause you sucked doing secular rap, and Christian rap accepts anyone that quotes scripture??? Let's get some feedback. I actually never did secular rap, I sang though, and I feel that if I were secular, I'd still be hot. What about you?

Good question. I used to do secular rap, but when I got saved and as I grew in Christ, I was convicted to soley glorify Christ in my lyrics. I had only been doing secular rap for a short period of time before I became saved. So I can honestly say, looking back at some of my old raps they were wack from both a natural and spiritual context. Since then I've grown as a Christian and in my craft. I believe if I were doing secular, I still would have grown in my craft to a certain extent. Let me say this, no one should do christian rap unless God has specifically called them to do so. I believe we have all seen evidence of others using HHH simply to gain recognition that they didn't receive in the secular realm. But I have no problem telling someone, including a fellow christian, that they are WACK. We need to hold each other accountable and let brothers (and sisters) know that this is not an any and all ministry, but that God has specifically gifted and appointed some to minister his gospel through HHH. If you aren't one of them and are doing it for any other reason than that God has called you to it, then you need to STEP OFF!!

my dime for your mind. :cool:

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Good question. I used to do secular rap, but when I got saved and as I grew in Christ, I was convicted to soley glorify Christ in my lyrics. I had only been doing secular rap for a short period of time before I became saved. So I can honestly say, looking back at some of my old raps they were wack from both a natural and spiritual context. Since then I've grown as a Christian and in my craft. I believe if I were doing secular, I still would have grown in my craft to a certain extent. Let me say this, no one should do christian rap unless God has specifically called them to do so. I believe we have all seen evidence of others using HHH simply to gain recognition that they didn't receive in the secular realm. But I have no problem telling someone that they are WACK. We need to hold each other accountable and let brothers (and sisters) know that this is not an any and all ministry, but that God has specifically gifted and appointed some to minister his gospel through HHH. If you aren't one of them and are doing it for any other reason than that God has called you to it, then you need to STEP OFF!!

my dime for your mind. :cool:

Tight man! I only do it cause I'm called. I don't listen to much rap at all if any. People think I'm wierd cause I ain't faithful to HHH awards and Fla.Vor fest. Man I am in it because God said so, not to make friends. I ain't even a rap head like some cats. Don't get me wrong I got a few favs but I cant listen to Crossmovement or most others for that fact

montenell
10-26-2006, 01:50 AM
yea i think i could be successful secular, i could probably make a hit or two off the top of my head, with all this nonsense going on but what profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul? i been writing stuff since i was like 14 but until God changed my heart most of it was dark and angry, i've always been a person to thing deeply about stuff so in one sense stuff i use to write was "good" but now its alot different

invisible man
10-26-2006, 02:11 AM
yea i think i could be successful secular, i could probably make a hit or two off the top of my head, with all this nonsense going on but what profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul? i been writing stuff since i was like 14 but until God changed my heart most of it was dark and angry, i've always been a person to thing deeply about stuff so in one sense stuff i use to write was "good" but now its alot different

I agree. Some cats aren't rapping gospel because they couldn't make it in the secular realm but because God called them to do it. They do it for the Lord wether people think its to preachie or not. This snap music and shake booty music isn't hard to make. Any body with a frutie loop program can make those beats and the lyrics they spit ain't about nothing. I can't believe people are buying it. These clowns are actually making hits off this crap left and right. And I can make up a Gangsta Tale joint too. Talking about cane, shooting, pimping and hoes is easy. Man its all about who you know and media exposure (if your willing to sell your soul). If you got the right connections some radio and video airplay on a regular rotation people will love your music no matter how stupid, cornie, or wack it is. American Idol anyone. Some of those singers on that show are straight trash but the world loves them because they are told too. Its all about the media and marketing campaign baby!!!!!

Its already been proven. Jermaine Dupree created Kriss Kross because he saw them in a shopping mall with they clothes on backwards!!! I know cats who are secular that would put some of these top selling rap acts to shame with the skills they posses. If they only had the exposure. But prayerfully God won't let them break out because once satan starts paying its hard to leave his payroll.

shekinahsmoke
10-26-2006, 06:22 AM
I agree. Some cats aren't rapping gospel because they couldn't make it in the secular realm but because God called them to do it. They do it for the Lord wether people think its to preachie or not. This snap music and shake booty music isn't hard to make.

AMEM AMEN AND AMEN. I was on some Kanye+Royce da 5'9 (thats a weird combination huh? LOL) type tip before I was saved and was wit a crew and small label. then a while later .. well.. Im here LOL.

Psalmist
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
absolutely....had offers for both the rapping and the beat making and the studio.....secular would've taken me quickly, but I'm not sure if my spirit could've taken it.

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm not saying that no one is lying, and that no one will lie, BUT know this, most of you have music online, & you can say yes to this question, but if it is a yes than your music should be hot now!!! Myspace & Soundclick & personal website tell a different story from what some cats say up on here. That's all I'm saying. :D

mr808
10-26-2006, 08:48 AM
maybe Im reading your post from a different angle and all...

I think if an artist was very (truly) talented, you'd be better off skipping doing your music / music ministry in the Christian market. That has nothing to say that those not doing it strictly in the mainstream are 'inferior'. There are plenty making waves in the mainstream (The Procussions, 4th Avenue Jones, LA Symphony, Braille, Ohmega Watts and many many others) for the Lord.

The Christian market is much more forgiving (in regards to talent) but at the same time pretty tough to make it in because of the way it still largely views urban music.

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
maybe Im reading your post from a different angle and all...

I think if an artist was very (truly) talented, you'd be better off skipping doing your music / music ministry in the Christian market. That has nothing to say that those not doing it strictly in the mainstream are 'inferior'. There are plenty making waves in the mainstream (The Procussions, 4th Avenue Jones, LA Symphony, Braille, Ohmega Watts and many many others) for the Lord.

The Christian market is much more forgiving (in regards to talent) but at the same time pretty tough to make it in because of the way it still largely views urban music.

Good reply. I hear cats say I could produce secular, now I am measuring that according to quality, not according to Kanye or Just Blaze.

eve
10-26-2006, 08:55 AM
interesting question.

some might interpret the question to suggest that secular is better talent-wise. that's simply not the case. i have yet to hear anyone in secular with rhyme schemes like stephen the levite, flow like Bone, flavor like Sivion, production like maji (or stone or essence), fire like Light da Flow, or clever content like Ex. if anything, the third grade raps they use would actually make it easier to find success in secular.

i'm not trying to hijack ... but i think an equally interesting question would be how many secular artists would be able to spit Christ with style, content, and skills?

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
interesting question.

some might interpret the question to suggest that secular is better talent-wise. that's simply not the case. i have yet to hear anyone in secular with rhyme schemes like stephen the levite, flow like Bone, flavor like Sivion, production like maji (or stone or essence), fire like Light da Flow, or clever content like Ex. if anything, the third grade raps they use would actually make it easier to find success in secular.

i'm not trying to hijack ... but i think an equally interesting question would be how many secular artists would be able to spit Christ with style, content, and skills?
Now as far as secular music I got to say I only listen to hmmm. Common, Nas, Tribe, Black Thought. Now I don't dispute what you said, cause I've only heard Tony Stone (he is hot) but I ain't talking bout Young Joc, Bow Wow. I'm talking bout Hip-Hop not rap!

eve
10-26-2006, 09:10 AM
thanks for the clarification. i thought true hip hop was dead. i'm gonna have to recognize that cats like rakim, digable planets, and tribe are still around (in terms of talent, that is; we're not dealing with content).

what forums do real hip hop artists have? i certainly don't see them on BET. (i really wanna know).

dremarshall
10-26-2006, 09:21 AM
thanks for the clarification. i thought true hip hop was dead. i'm gonna have to recognize that cats like rakim, digable planets, and tribe are still around (in terms of talent, that is; we're not dealing with content).

what forums do real hip hop artists have? i certainly don't see them on BET. (i really wanna know).
Well Tribe is going back on tour. Rakim is battling some other rapper dude now. I don't know Hip-Hop is dead, but the hot thing about that is only Jesus has power to ressurect anything, so we HHH artist need to strap up our boots and get going. *If I hear another Chain Hang Low* song I might just go crazy!!

Unseen
10-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I think i'm quite the opposite. I'll be thinking at times do i suck at producing Christian rap, but am better at doing secular rap? :confused:

But i had no idea this existed on this level when i quit secular music til God showed me. I know I'm called to help on this side.

Sometimes, i feel as if i was more apprecited in the secular industry. For real!

I think my position here is to draw those that like secular music to Christ like music.

I do believe many cats wouldn't stand a chance getting deal in the secular industry. Even some hot cats in HHH, they could get a deal, but won't sell.
Just watch for the ones that do HHH now, but will be doing secular, they won't be successful. ;)

Psalmist
10-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm not saying that no one is lying, and that no one will lie, BUT know this, most of you have music online, & you can say yes to this question, but if it is a yes than your music should be hot now!!! Myspace & Soundclick & personal website tell a different story from what some cats say up on here. That's all I'm saying. :D
I feel you family...but also remember there is a market for everything....sometimes you just need to make your market. And a lot of labels don't care about the sound as much as they care about the following!

Conviction Music
10-26-2006, 12:50 PM
I got offered a deal doin secular music back in 03 and i turned it down. I turned it down because i wasnt focused. When got saved and did Christia music, it was like i couldnt rap anymore. My hunger, my cuss words, my desire to say something shockin was gone. No longer could i use all the punchlines about how dope i am or how i could boy you. No longer could i be prideful. So it took a long time to adjust to this Christian music. I think the music will speak for its self as far as if i woulda made it. I dont record my music with Christians. I let all the unsaved people hear my music first and if they are feelin it then I know its a winner. Why? Because they aint comparing my style and lyrics to Da truth or Flame, they are comparing me to Jay, or TI or somebody like that. And i dont make music for the streets at all. So that means they are feeling songs that they might not be able to relate to, but still feel it based on quality ect. Im not lookin for a deal secular or Gospel. I got a family with 2 kids. So i got 2 very good jobs. I gotta work while my wife is finishing up College. I dont have time or desire to persue a deal with a label. Plus thats not the focus of the music. Its not about me. And i aint toning down Jesus for nobody.

Shock~Therapy
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Now as far as secular music I got to say I only listen to hmmm. Common, Nas, Tribe, Black Thought. Now I don't dispute what you said, cause I've only heard Tony Stone (he is hot) but I ain't talking bout Young Joc, Bow Wow. I'm talking bout Hip-Hop not rap!
Yeah, hip hop is not just what you are seeing on MTV and BET. There are artists like the afformentioned (also Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Jurrasic 5, Blackalicious... the list goes on), and that is what I was listening to before God convicted me to give up ALL secular music. I wasn't listening to that bubble-gum (pop) rap but artists with real talent, and that is what made it harder for me to give it up because most of them were "positive". But God showed me that they fall short of giving him glory. That is the way with those artists as well as quite a number of HHH artists who seem more like "positive" rappers than truly Christ centered lyricists.

invisible man
10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Some are looking for fruit to remain through their minstry and make disciples. That is not measured in record sales or oponions of men either (people saying your music is hot). And as long as God keep booking shows cats gone keep ministering the gospel which isn't popular with the world or the saints sad to say. Stephen the Levite is tighter than most secular dudes and probably won't get recognized even though he is talented because he spits doctrine.