PDA

View Full Version : Do Movies of Christ hurt the opportunity to witness

eyesofphaith
10-25-2006, 03:24 PM
when we present a white Jesus visually through televsion, movies, pictures etc, to people who are already critical of our faith (black people in the context of this discussion) are Christians forfeiting the opportunity to witness. Witness to some people who are tired of blacks being marginalized period and when they see such things as a white Jesus it encourages them to not follow. We see it as heck it don't matter what color cause he died for me.

Personally it erks me ( when I dwell on it). Why? you mean to tell me all these scholars on TBN and the Word Network who have studied history don't know he's physicality wasn't blonde hair blue eyes or just traditional anglo features then why present Him that way visually.

LENZ_1
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I feel you, and if that's the person that you're ministering to's focus, or hang up, then it will be hard. But whenever the question comes to me, I just say, straight up, it doesn't matter, and I keep it moving. Most times folks see that it really doesn't matter, and get with the program, but if they get caught up on skin color, they aint tryin to hear you in the first place.

eyesofphaith
10-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I feel you, and if that's the person that you're ministering to's focus, or hang up, then it will be hard. But whenever the question comes to me, I just say, straight up, it doesn't matter, and I keep it moving. Most times folks see that it really doesn't matter, and get with the program, but if they get caught up on skin color, they aint tryin to hear you in the first place.

concur, just hate when it seems we shoot ourselves in the foot and give them excuses.

lisajames96
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
when we present a white Jesus visually through televsion, movies, pictures etc, to people who are already critical of our faith (black people in the context of this discussion) are Christians forfeiting the opportunity to witness. Witness to some people who are tired of blacks being marginalized period and when they see such things as a white Jesus it encourages them to not follow. We see it as heck it don't matter what color cause he died for me.

Personally it erks me ( when I dwell on it). Why? you mean to tell me all these scholars on TBN and the Word Network who have studied history don't know he's physicality wasn't blonde hair blue eyes or just traditional anglo features then why present Him that way visually.

I am guilty of this...I enjoyed the gospel of John cause the actor(who played Jesus) is one of my favorites, but he whiter than white...lol...I think Caveizael is the darkest anyone ever came to portaying Jesus...

LENZ_1
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
concur, just hate when it seems we shoot ourselves in the foot and give them excuses.

yessir, but often I have thought, "What would the response be if we used an actor of another race?" If the answer is a bunch of folks walking around like "Finally someone got it right" or you have black folks feeling like someone stuck it to the "man" and they'll support it just for that, I can't say I'm 100% cool with that.

Psalmist
10-25-2006, 04:34 PM
seeing as how most are extremely inaccurate, it produces a sense of familiarality, but you really don't know God.....it takes a lot to overcome those misconceptions...and now w/ the Divinci code...enough said!