PDA

View Full Version : Tithing...Specificly Abraham & Melchezedek

djHeir
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
First, let me start by saying that this is not a debate thread, it's a building one. I really don't want this to be a typical "do you tithe and why do you feel it's right" thread so please limit opinion and use as much scriptural support as possible. THIS IS A LEARNING THREAD FAM!!!

Second, let me limit the discussion of this thread to what the title implies, Abraham & Melchezedek. Basically I want to discuss what some consider the establishment of the law of tithing. Proponents often deduce that Abraham's offering to Mel was a tithe and that it established God's eternal law of tithing while others say it wasn't.

I'll start with a question of my own:
(18) And Melchizedek king of Salem
Brought out bread and wine;
He was priest of El Elyon.
(19) He blessed him, saying,
"Blessed be Abram by El Elyon,
Creator of heaven and earth.
(20) And praised be El Elyon,
Who has delivered your foes to you."
And he gave him a tenth of everything. In this passage we see Abraham offering a tenth to Mel which I think all or most will agree on calling a tithe. Here's my question though, is this offering really an establishment of a law? Did Abe ever tithe before this? More importantly, did he ever tithe after this? I'm being totally unbiased when I ask these questions, much like a young child looking for understanding and less like someone with a presupposition looking to prove a point.

Thanks for the help fam and I know we've traveled this road more or less before but since Jefe cleaned house, I thought it'd be good to take a look at this again.

God bless fam!

dremarshall
10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Yo well let's look at some history 1st. Ok Abraham was tithing before the law was established. So tithing being instituted before the law is what makes it OK today. 2nd we have to ask why did God institute tithing into the law? was it because Israel was so disobedient.

CHRISTion
10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't see how Abram doing something=a Law.

djHeir
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Yo well let's look at some history 1st. Ok Abraham was tithing before the law was established. So tithing being instituted before the law is what makes it OK today. 2nd we have to ask why did God institute tithing into the law? was it because Israel was so disobedient.So are you saying that Abe's tithe to Mel is not the establishment of the law, rather that it was before the law? Also, could you please provide scriptural reference, thanks bro!

LaRosa
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
the tithe (in the Law) was established as a support system for the Levites, who were the priestly tribe and weren't supposed to "work" outside of tabernacle duties...

i have some thoughts on this subject, but i'll have to post later when i have my 'puter handy to get my research & scripts

lj.

Bible_Man
10-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Abraham also sacrificed animals before the law

Gen 15:8 And he said, O Lord Jehovah, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
Gen 15:9 And he said unto him, Take me a heifer three years old, and a she-goat three years old, and a ram three years old, and a turtle-dove, and a young pigeon.

So do we assert that since Abraham sacrificed animals before the law then we should also sacrifice animals? That's the problem with some people yanking the Abraham tithing out of context and then saying "thats what makes it a rule today". In the law was tithing and in the law was animal sacrifices. Before the law was tithing and before the law was animal sacrifices. So is it biblically correct to say that therefore we should still be offering up animal sacrifices and tithes? The original intent was that people give freely. There is no minimal limit and there is no maximum cap. This concept is continually reinforced in the NT as the original intent of even the giving principle from the OT and law to the NT. Peep Exodus 25:1, Duet. 16:10 and also 2 Corinthians 8 (which makes EXPLICIT that we are not tithing but giving freely).

All i'm saying is, we can't just say because Abraham did it then that means we have to do exactly as he did without examining the spiritual implications. Again, we realize that we do not have to offer animals up as sacrifice even though Abraham did it before the law. That concept was fulfilled in the sacrifice of Christ Jesus. Likewise we do not have to give a tenth, but that concept is fulfilled through the Christians freewill giving. Tithing in the OT was a national giving of a percentile. The exact same principle is satisfied in what we call income taxes- which is our national giving of a percentile.

djHeir
10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the response BM. Just a reminder to those who are gonna respond though, please keep this thread in the context of the OT and the establishment of tithe.

StreetSermonz
10-25-2006, 01:44 PM
Abraham gave a "tithe" singular. Nowhere does it say that he practiced the act of tithing. Melchizadek was a type and shadow, some sugget was even Jesus himself appearing to Abraham.

How bout this.....

Jesus was the tithe.

We are crucified in him.

Now our offering is our body as a living sacrifice...

Which results in becomming slaves to Christ.

It was all about JESUS. not money.

(ok I'm gone) http://theologicallycorrect.com/studycenter/modules/Forums/images/smiles/exit-stage-right.gif

shekinahsmoke
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
:eek: Sermz shut it down

Psalmist
10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
:eek: Sermz shut it down
echo