PDA

View Full Version : Check this video out, WOTM!! For the PostModernist fans!

TheRealPae
10-24-2006, 07:54 PM
For all the Emergents!!

http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com/video/friel_bullhorn_response.wmv

This is a response to Bullhorn Guy comment from Rob Bell Nooma Series!

One, Les!

outrage
10-24-2006, 08:32 PM
children of the devil? where's the script for that, i cant remember where it is off the top of my head.

it seems that these polarised approaches mirror whats happening in christian hip hop as well...very interesting.

djHeir
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
9No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.:)

outrage
10-24-2006, 09:24 PM
:)
cheers

eternal
10-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Seems like a lot of false caustic characterizations.

Not a very good representation at all. Anybody interested in a postmodern/emergent Christianity check out

www.theooze.com

djHeir
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Seems like a lot of false caustic characterizations.Could you elaborate a bit on this?

djHeir
10-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Not a very good representation at all. Anybody interested in a postmodern/emergent Christianity check out

www.theooze.com
Similarly, there was a time when women were prevented from voting or owning property-a position the church heartily endorsed. Throughout history, Christians have been eager to shackle women both in and out of the church. Given a less-than-stellar track record, is it really so heretical to think that the evangelical church may just be wrong about homosexuality as well? I mean, isn't it wise to at least ask the "What if?" question from time to time, if for no other reason than to test our contemporary application of Scripture?

Not if you want to keep your reputation as a Bible-believing evangelical. Suggesting that homosexuality might not be as wrong as everyone thinks is a surefire way to get oneself branded with a capital L
hmm.....

eternal
10-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Could you elaborate a bit on this?

The whole making fun of the goatee piece, and some of the characterizations he was making. That emergents don't like "repent" or "sin" and stuff like that. That somehow emergents don't evangelize or teach, etc. That is all pretty ridiculous.
I don't think he dealt with the "agenda" issue, meaning we need to check ourselves if we REALLY love people, or if they are simply notches on our evangelism belt. He didn't represent the point very fairly, IMO. The way he mocked emergents willingness to listen and characterized it as a refusal to speak our own minds. That is RIDICULOUS. Then the mocking dramatization when sitting and talking with people was just foolish as well. It paints it as though emergents/post moderns are unwilling to tell others about their faith. That is false and really slanderous IMO.

Also, where did you get that link from? Was it a post on one of the forums? Or an article? Realize that this is a big site with MANY different voices and members of the forum, just like HCR but bigger. One thing about the PM/emergent understanding is the willingness for dialogue, hearing people out and talking about it. That means BOTH parties having the opportunity to speak and respect each other with EACH OTHER'S ideas.

ZestD
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM
The whole making fun of the goatee piece, and some of the characterizations he was making. That emergents don't like "repent" or "sin" and stuff like that. That somehow emergents don't evangelize or teach, etc. That is all pretty ridiculous.
I don't think he dealt with the "agenda" issue, meaning we need to check ourselves if we REALLY love people, or if they are simply notches on our evangelism belt. He didn't represent the point very fairly, IMO. The way he mocked emergents willingness to listen and characterized it as a refusal to speak our own minds. That is RIDICULOUS. Then the mocking dramatization when sitting and talking with people was just foolish as well. It paints it as though emergents/post moderns are unwilling to tell others about their faith. That is false and really slanderous IMO.

Also, where did you get that link from? Was it a post on one of the forums? Or an article? Realize that this is a big site with MANY different voices and members of the forum, just like HCR but bigger. One thing about the PM/emergent understanding is the willingness for dialogue, hearing people out and talking about it. That means BOTH parties having the opportunity to speak and respect each other with EACH OTHER'S ideas.

Watched the video and agree with this post.

djHeir
10-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Have you guys actually seen the NOOMA video "Bullhorn Guy" that Rob Bell put together? Todd's video is basically taking everything that Rob said in that video and addressing it. So for example when Todd says that there's a group of people who don't like the words "sin" and "hell" and etc., that's actually something Rob said in his video. He talked about how the bullhorn guy used those words and how it is wrong. This isn't something that just came out of the blue to attack PMs & emergents all together, rather it's a rebuttal to those who say using the law "isn't working" and that it's "making things worse" (exact quotes of Rob Bell btw).

Then the mocking dramatization when sitting and talking with people was just foolish as well.How was this foolish? He sincerely and whole-heartedly sat down and just listened to random people's problems (exactly what Rob Bell suggested that we do instead of warning people of the wrath to come). Then he flipped it and brought the law. The whole point of that demonstration (aside from presenting the Gospel) was to show that listening to peoples stories is not what the great comission is all about. Nothing wrong with getting to know people, definitely nothing wrong with listening to what they have to say, but like Todd said when he gave the four examples of the doctors, if we don't tell people about their sickness and offer the cure, we're comitting Christian malpractice.

As for the article I quoted, it wasn't in the forums or from one of the members, it was from the owner (i believe) of the site, Spencer Burke (mailto:spencer@theooze.com) who has the article in the "About Us" section. I didn't dig deep to find it, just went to see what the site was about and that's where it was. You can check it out here (http://www.theooze.com/articles/article.cfm?id=827)

BTW, they used to have the Rob Bell "bullhorn guy" video on youtube but I guess someone decided to take it down. I think you can watch a clip of it at his site though.

Knyce924
10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Have you guys actually seen the NOOMA video "Bullhorn Guy" that Rob Bell put together? Todd's video is basically taking everything that Rob said in that video and addressing it. So for example when Todd says that there's a group of people who don't like the words "sin" and "hell" and etc., that's actually something Rob said in his video. He talked about how the bullhorn guy used those words and how it is wrong. This isn't something that just came out of the blue to attack PMs & emergents all together, rather it's a rebuttal to those who say using the law "isn't working" and that it's "making things worse" (exact quotes of Rob Bell btw).

How was this foolish? He sincerely and whole-heartedly sat down and just listened to random people's problems (exactly what Rob Bell suggested that we do instead of warning people of the wrath to come). Then he flipped it and brought the law. The whole point of that demonstration (aside from presenting the Gospel) was to show that listening to peoples stories is not what the great comission is all about. Nothing wrong with getting to know people, definitely nothing wrong with listening to what they have to say, but like Todd said when he gave the four examples of the doctors, if we don't tell people about their sickness and offer the cure, we're comitting Christian malpractice.

As for the article I quoted, it wasn't in the forums or from one of the members, it was from the owner (i believe) of the site, Spencer Burke (mailto:spencer@theooze.com) who has the article in the "About Us" section. I didn't dig deep to find it, just went to see what the site was about and that's where it was. You can check it out here (http://www.theooze.com/articles/article.cfm?id=827)

BTW, they used to have the Rob Bell "bullhorn guy" video on youtube but I guess someone decided to take it down. I think you can watch a clip of it at his site though.

Yea, Todd's video was very sarcastic yet true, and it was a direct counter to the Rob Bell video. If you havent been following WOTM lately, then u might not understand what Todd is talking about exactly. We should clarify that because the two are of direct correlation. I thought the beginning was funny, Todd is a character foreal. I thought it was pretty good.

Balance Man
10-26-2006, 03:48 PM

How was this foolish? He sincerely and whole-heartedly sat down and just listened to random people's problems (exactly what Rob Bell suggested that we do instead of warning people of the wrath to come). Then he flipped it and brought the law. The whole point of that demonstration (aside from presenting the Gospel) was to show that listening to peoples stories is not what the great comission is all about. Nothing wrong with getting to know people, definitely nothing wrong with listening to what they have to say, but like Todd said when he gave the four examples of the doctors, if we don't tell people about their sickness and offer the cure, we're comitting Christian malpractice.

Heir would agree then that both videos should have been posted as to give a proper balance to this post. Without having the "bullhorn" video one is only left with the conclusion that eternal articulated.

djHeir
10-26-2006, 03:52 PM
True, the WOTMR site actually had a link to both right next to each other but since they removed Rob's from youtube, they took their link off too. For everyone else who watches the video, please note that this is in response to Rob Bell's NOOMA video entitled "Bullhorn Guy".

outrage
10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
i just realised something, the issue is whether people actually go to the doctor in the first place? using the metaphor of a doctor, seems to suggest folks are coming to US to find the truth to their unanswerable questions. whereas the bullhorn guy is the one who goes to the people.

jnorman888
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
For all the Emergents!!

http://www.wayofthemasterradio.com/video/friel_bullhorn_response.wmv

This is a response to Bullhorn Guy comment from Rob Bell Nooma Series!

One, Les!

I don't call myself Emergent. I'm a dissapointed Convergence type dude. But lets see what they have to say.

jnorman888
10-26-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't call myself Emergent. I'm a dissapointed Convergence type dude. But lets see what they have to say.

ok it was good

eternal
10-26-2006, 10:12 PM
No I haven't seen the Rob Bell video. I am not sure how accurately it depicted Bell's position, so I will not comment. But even if it was 100% accurate, then WOTM should have said it was about Rob Bell, not emergent/Post Modern Christians.