PDA

View Full Version : In my reading this morning.....

LENZ_1
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
**I first posted this in the theology board, but I don't think I'll get any responses there. Since this IS something I'm trying to build on, I took a chance and tossed it here**

I started out reading 1 Tim. this morning, and I came across a couple things that I wanted to pick some brains about....

The first one is Ch.3 vs. 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV

7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESV

7Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp.

7Furthermore, he must have a good reputation and be well thought of by those outside [the church], lest he become involved in slander and incur reproach and fall into the devil's trap

This question is moreso for those that say, "If the world respects you, you're doing something wrong"

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I would just like to get an understanding, of what you back up your belief with.

LaRosa
10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
we should be above reproach in ALL that we do so that NO ONE can speak negative things about us

lj.

lisajames96
10-24-2006, 11:35 AM
**I first posted this in the theology board, but I don't think I'll get any responses there. Since this IS something I'm trying to build on, I took a chance and tossed it here**

I started out reading 1 Tim. this morning, and I came across a couple things that I wanted to pick some brains about....

The first one is Ch.3 vs. 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV

7Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESV

7Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp.

7Furthermore, he must have a good reputation and be well thought of by those outside [the church], lest he become involved in slander and incur reproach and fall into the devil's trap

This question is moreso for those that say, "If the world respects you, you're doing something wrong"

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, I would just like to get an understanding, of what you back up your belief with.

When I was an unbeliever, I didn't LIKE christians or wanted to be around them too long...but those that I could see/tell were consistant in their walk of faith in Jesus Christ, I definately respected them.

LENZ_1
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, and I did forget to mention that this is pertaining to the office of a Bishop, not just the average church goer.

Knyce924
10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
we should be above reproach in ALL that we do so that NO ONE can speak negative things about us

lj.

I agree. cuz like satan wants to slander and put down those who stand for righteousness. 'We the only Jesus ppl gonna see'

If this does happen though, it shouldnt like hurt us ya know. We should equip ourselves to handle satan's tricks