PDA

View Full Version : Dont Post Scripture On Hcr!

Conviction Music
10-24-2006, 01:24 AM
I am tired of people posting scripture on HCR to support their argument without explaining the reason for using the scripture. How is anyone supposed to come to a conclusion based on biblical truth if you just provide scripture and tell us to read it or study it. There should be a level of accountability when posting scriptures in regards to context and exogesis. The difference between writing a paper in High school and College is you have to PROVE your point in college. In High school you could say "the grass is green". In college you have to say "the grass is green based on the clorophyl(sp) produced from ect ect"

There is confusion and no progress being made in these discussions because nobody is getting on the same page in regards to the scriptures they use to support their position. Can we see a strongs refrence number please? Different people can see things differently based on their thought patterns, but when you prove what the meaning in context its not up for discussion. Who will go against the truth? Will your opinion hold up against a defination, cross references to Jewish custom, reference numbers, Greek and Hebrew definitions, and in context of what was being tought? No, didnt think so.

In order for us to trully build we must build in truth. We cannot have confusion because that is not of God. There are resources available on the internet and at libraries either Christian and secular that will provide indepth analysis of the scripture. So before we post scriptures to help defend our argument, take the time out to research that and break it down so as to edify your brothers and sisters in Christ. We need that!

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 06:10 AM
I dig

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 09:12 AM
I am one who tries (<---KEY WORD) to use scripture when presenting my arguments, and I am guilty of not fully explaining or even giving a strongs reference #-but I do my best to explain the scripture in CORRECT CONTEXT (<----KEY PHRASE) so that the reader will know they are getting what I believe to be the truth based on careful study. ;)

thx for the post CM-I appreciate the fact that SOMEBODY wants to still learn what God says and not just what our opinions are ;)

LENZ_1
10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Amen, I have to admit, at first, I thought you just didn't want scripture at all, but I'm glad I finished reading.

Careful, in depth study is vital to understanding the true word of God. 2 Tim. 2:15 mentions "rightly dividing the word of truth", and you cannot do that if you go by what someone else taught you (whether it be a big momma or Spurgeon, you have to study for yourself)

Psalmist
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Amen, I have to admit, at first, I thought you just didn't want scripture at all, but I'm glad I finished reading.

Careful, in depth study is vital to understanding the true word of God. 2 Tim. 2:15 mentions "rightly dividing the word of truth", and you cannot do that if you go by what someone else taught you (whether it be a big momma or Spurgeon, you have to study for yourself)
thats gospel

Conviction Music
10-24-2006, 03:37 PM

I agree

ctide
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I am tired of people posting scripture on HCR to support their argument without explaining the reason for using the scripture. How is anyone supposed to come to a conclusion based on biblical truth if you just provide scripture and tell us to read it or study it. There should be a level of accountability when posting scriptures in regards to context and exogesis. The difference between writing a paper in High school and College is you have to PROVE your point in college. In High school you could say "the grass is green". In college you have to say "the grass is green based on the clorophyl(sp) produced from ect ect"

There is confusion and no progress being made in these discussions because nobody is getting on the same page in regards to the scriptures they use to support their position. Can we see a strongs refrence number please? Different people can see things differently based on their thought patterns, but when you prove what the meaning in context its not up for discussion. Who will go against the truth? Will your opinion hold up against a defination, cross references to Jewish custom, reference numbers, Greek and Hebrew definitions, and in context of what was being tought? No, didnt think so.

In order for us to trully build we must build in truth. We cannot have confusion because that is not of God. There are resources available on the internet and at libraries either Christian and secular that will provide indepth analysis of the scripture. So before we post scriptures to help defend our argument, take the time out to research that and break it down so as to edify your brothers and sisters in Christ. We need that!

sometimes i post only scripture on purpose for the sake of provoking thought instead of clouding what scripture says with my interpretation... but of course sometimes you gotta explain

savedbygracealone
10-24-2006, 04:13 PM
sometimes i post just scripture because scripture speaks for itself, especially when provided in proper context.

plus its not about MY argument but about what does the text say. :o

StreetSermonz
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
sometimes i post just scripture because scripture speaks for itself, especially when provided in proper context.

me too, but I understand what Conviction Music is talking about. Sometimes people type up a post, then provide a scripture but don't give a reason why it applies.

dremarshall
10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
If you can rightly divide the word, you can wrongly divide.

RJ of MMM
10-24-2006, 04:35 PM
If you can rightly divide the word, you can wrongly divide.
cha ching. Knowing ow to rightly divide the word is one (big) part Spirit, and another part study. One shouldnt neglext eitehr, but in the same be ready for your words to be proven as that's the sign that you know something - ie, you can defend the truth, not just speak it.

4Sight Sounds
10-24-2006, 05:03 PM

yep.....

not to mention that most people are not trying to read a long drawn out explanation. That can be very time consuming (for the reader and the writer) on a message board.

Conviction Music
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
yep.....

not to mention that most people are not trying to read a long drawn out explanation. That can be very time consuming (for the reader and the writer) on a message board.

then dont post scripture

ctide
10-24-2006, 05:20 PM
then dont post scripture

wow, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of a theological discussion?

Conviction Music
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
wow, wouldnt that defeat the purpose of a theological discussion?

Is theology based on truth and facts or opinions? Theology or Philosophy

RJ of MMM
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM

Its called writing for the web and not writing for academics/professions. Sadly, there are not too many classes on it, and for subjects such as the Bible, that nature of written speech is many time neglected to express the point.