PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Myths about Jesus Christ

dremarshall
10-23-2006, 09:53 PM
10. Jesus never really existed.

We have literally thousands of copies of four exceptionally reliable historical documents (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) that testify to His very real existence, plus sources outside of the Bible that refer to Jesus as well.

9. Jesus' story is just a combination of a bunch of people's stories woven together.

Again, if the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) are reliable and accurate, then they all point to the fact that Jesus was a real historical figure, not a "greatest hits" from other folks in His day.

8. Jesus never did miracles.

People who claim this are ignoring a huge amount of the New Testament which outlines very specifically the 35 miracles Jesus performed. Remember, these miracles are written about by eye-witnesses. As well, His ability to draw large crowds was oftentimes the direct result of His ability to do things that (humanly speaking) were impossible. In other words: no miracles, no crowds...so how do you explain the crowds without miracles?

7. Jesus was just a good teacher.

"Good teachers" don't go around claiming to be God Himself and the only way to heaven when in fact they really aren't. We call those people liars and/or lunatics, which is what I would call Jesus if the resurrection facts didn't back up His claims.

6. Jesus never claimed to be God.

Again, He did. A lot. So much in fact that the religious leaders of His day accused Him of blasphemy (the crime of claiming to be God) and tried to kill Him for it.

5. Jesus isn't the only way to heaven.

Not according to Him. He said this in John 14:6 - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Not according to His disciples either. They said this about Jesus in Acts 4:12 - "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

4. Jesus didn't come back from the dead.

If He didn't, where's the body? What about the 500 witnesses? What about the disciples who died because they believed He did? What about...what about...want more?

3. Jesus was mostly just a nice guy.

Sure, there were times when He was 'nice', but if that's your whole picture of Christ, you need a bigger screen. He wasn't crucified for being 'nice'. He was killed because He claimed to be God and the only way to heaven...a revolutionary idea that still rubs people the wrong way.

2. Jesus never claimed He would come back.

Actually He did. Several times.

1. Jesus only talked about love and forgiveness, never about hell and judgment

Again, actually He did. More than several times. In fact, Jesus talked about hell (or some form of it) three times more than heaven.

So the next time you place an order in our culture for a Quad Stacker of music, movies, media, and myspace...remember the 10 greasycheesy myths about Jesus that are sure to clog your spiritual arteries and cause a faith attack. Believe me, you're better off ordering a dose of healthy truth about the Way, the Truth, and the Life from the Book He wrote!

Head: What you need to know about this truth

Jesus Christ is a real historical figure whose life, miracles, claims, and resurrection are backed up by reliable documents and traditions.

Heart: What you need to feel about this truth
Feel confident that you are not a Christian simply because you've been raised that way, but because you have followed the evidence where it led you. Also, feel glad that the idea of a Savior and the hope of heaven is much more than just an idea...it's the truth.

Hands: What you need to do about this truth
What you should do about this truth is don't take my word for it. Go out and investigate it yourself. Take some time this week and check out the links I've provided for you. After all, we're talking about your eternal destiny here...something, I think, that is worth some of your time.

www.dare2share.org

BlackCalvinist
10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Yo Dre.

Check your PO Box. :)

Pardon the ghetto packing job. :)

dremarshall
10-24-2006, 02:20 PM
No doubt

jeyjey34
10-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Myth #11:

Jesus was rich

CHRISTion
10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
this was good, thanks Dre.

I had a problem with one of these:

Not according to Him. He said this in John 14:6 - "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Not according to His disciples either. They said this about Jesus in Acts 4:12 - "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
While I DO agree with the statement, the argument given for it is a little weak. Just because someone says He is something, doesn't mean he is. I mean, didn't Karesh and other SAY they were Christ? I think the strongest evidence for things Christian come from NON Christian sources. People who back up arguments with the bible to people who don't believe the bible are doomed to be disappointed cuz the person will just say "so what, I don't believe the bible"-but when you have HISTORICAL facts that appear in regular history books-NOW if they wanna fight with u about it, then you can call them a hypocrite if they believe in George Washington, Christopher Columbus or Santa Claus :D (kidding on the last one, but you get my point)

Again, good post bro!
Late

jnorman888
10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Great post Mr. Marshal

suprarapsarian
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
dremarshall,

though i certainly appreciate your zeal for the truth and your willingness to share it, ultimately i believe this approach of apologetics has some major holes in it.

Every response you've made here to the various "myths" all have to assume that the Bible is correct to begin with. So how do you "prove" the truthfulness of the Bible? You might say that the Scripture records over 500 witnesses to such and such event, BUT, that's just begging the question because how did you know there were 500 witnesses to begin with? Didn't you get that information from the Bible? of course you did. Atheists who have some inkling of logic will eat you up on this point all day long.

So your reasoning is circular. Bottom line: you still have to "prove" that what the BIble says is even true before you can start making a case FROM the Bible. ie. the only way you can use the 500 witnesses as a case is to first 'prove' that the statement in Scripture about there being 500 witnesses is even true.

CHRISTion brings up a good point: "Just because someone says He is something, doesn't mean he is." However, where CHRISTion's argument fails as well is that he presupposes outside sources to be just as reliable. Does someone on the outside of Waco, Texas saying that Koresh was Christ make that claim true now? no!

So, in conclusion, i don't believe you're going to 'prove' the claims of Scripture by any empirical means. The only "proof" one will get is when the Sovereign Lord reveals Himself to that person.

Your job is not to 'prove' God, but to proclaim Him. And He'll take that word and do with it as He pleases. He'll reveal Himself to some and not to others.

I'm mean seriously folks, think about this. We worship a God that none of us have even seen! He's invisible. Now how are you going to 'prove' that?

The only people who are going to take the Bible seriously are those whom God has given faith. We shouldn't expect anything more out of those who haven't been gifted with faith. You're certainly not going to 'prove' anything.

Proclaim His Word Dre, it's as simple as that. Be faithful to it...do not deviate from it and shout it from the rooftops. God will do the 'proving'.

Light
01-18-2008, 03:29 PM
10. Jesus never really existed.

We have literally thousands of copies of four exceptionally reliable historical documents (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) that testify to His very real existence, plus sources outside of the Bible that refer to Jesus as well.

9. Jesus' story is just a combination of a bunch of people's stories woven together.

Again, if the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) are reliable and accurate, then they all point to the fact that Jesus was a real historical figure, not a "greatest hits" from other folks in His day.

8. Jesus never did miracles.

People who claim this are ignoring a huge amount of the New Testament which outlines very specifically the 35 miracles Jesus performed. Remember, these miracles are written about by eye-witnesses. As well, His ability to draw large crowds was oftentimes the direct result of His ability to do things that (humanly speaking) were impossible. In other words: no miracles, no crowds...so how do you explain the crowds without miracles?

7. Jesus was just a good teacher.

"Good teachers" don't go around claiming to be God Himself and the only way to heaven when in fact they really aren't. We call those people liars and/or lunatics, which is what I would call Jesus if the resurrection facts didn't back up His claims.

6. Jesus never claimed to be God.

Again, He did. A lot. So much in fact that the religious leaders of His day accused Him of blasphemy (the crime of claiming to be God) and tried to kill Him for it.

4. Jesus didn't come back from the dead.

If He didn't, where's the body? What about the 500 witnesses? What about the disciples who died because they believed He did? What about...what about...want more?

3. Jesus was mostly just a nice guy.

Sure, there were times when He was 'nice', but if that's your whole picture of Christ, you need a bigger screen. He wasn't crucified for being 'nice'. He was killed because He claimed to be God and the only way to heaven...a revolutionary idea that still rubs people the wrong way.

2. Jesus never claimed He would come back.

Actually He did. Several times.

1. Jesus only talked about love and forgiveness, never about hell and judgment

Again, actually He did. More than several times. In fact, Jesus talked about hell (or some form of it) three times more than heaven.

So the next time you place an order in our culture for a Quad Stacker of music, movies, media, and myspace...remember the 10 greasycheesy myths about Jesus that are sure to clog your spiritual arteries and cause a faith attack. Believe me, you're better off ordering a dose of healthy truth about the Way, the Truth, and the Life from the Book He wrote!

Head: What you need to know about this truth

Jesus Christ is a real historical figure whose life, miracles, claims, and resurrection are backed up by reliable documents and traditions.

Heart: What you need to feel about this truth
Feel confident that you are not a Christian simply because you've been raised that way, but because you have followed the evidence where it led you. Also, feel glad that the idea of a Savior and the hope of heaven is much more than just an idea...it's the truth.

Hands: What you need to do about this truth
What you should do about this truth is don't take my word for it. Go out and investigate it yourself. Take some time this week and check out the links I've provided for you. After all, we're talking about your eternal destiny here...something, I think, that is worth some of your time.

www.dare2share.org
nice nice nice nice!