PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts...

Gloria
10-22-2006, 09:45 PM
First sermon at 4...ordained at 6....little Terry M. Durham.

Articles:
http://sptimes.com/2006/06/08/Floridian/Pastor_Terry.shtml
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060401/LIFE04/604010309/1084/life04
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/apr/09/eightyearold_broward_preacher_draws_crowds_worship/

There is also an article in Jet...

Video:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=809266429

I don't know. Okay...I do know, but...Any thoughts?

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I think it's um... foolish.... I know that is harsh, but I had no other way to word it. I think it's a classic case of "Aww look at him do that; that's so cute".

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Meanwhile, his grandmother sat over a hot iron, pressing Terry's uniform: a powder blue suit. His colorful attire is as big a production as the sermons he preaches. Everything must match: the shirt, the suit, the socks, the Velcro dress shoes. (He doesn't yet know how to tie his shoes.) Anything less, and Terry feels naked, unworthy of being in the pulpit.

*sigh*...

BlackCalvinist
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Wow.

The qualifications for a pastor are laid out in scripture. Lil' man doesn't fit them.

It's funny that one of the elders at my church preached on that topic today (1 Tim. 3:1-4:5). I'll be posting the link soon.

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow.

The qualifications for a pastor are laid out in scripture. Lil' man doesn't fit them.

Yep...

Gloria
10-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Glad that I'm not the only one...*sighs in relief*

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I think they are setting that poor little boy up for failure... It just bothers me in so many ways...

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Glad that I'm not the only one...*sighs in relief*

Good to see you here by the way, sis ;)

KPfaREAL
10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Majoe????

t-roberts
10-22-2006, 10:14 PM
[Doesn't the scripture also say that people young or "immature" in the faith shouldn't be a pastor anyways?

Gloria
10-22-2006, 10:14 PM
I think they are setting that poor little boy up for failure... It just bothers me in so many ways...

That's what I thought when I read the Jet article. I couldn't believe how many people are endorsing it...:(

LifeInReturn
10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-edge-preacher,0,941956.flash (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/sfl-edge-preacher,0,941956.flash)

"I made people cry"... Dude is a little kid... WHY are they doing that to him and encouraging it as well ?

montenell
10-22-2006, 11:21 PM
sad thing is it happens alot , but then again alot of people go to church for entertainment and not to grow anyway

Shock~Therapy
10-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Hmmm...

It's very funny that I've encountered a similar situation to this one. Back in 01' I had visited a church along with my former Pastor, where the church we visited had a congregation of about 5 members (basically the kid's grandparents and siblings), and a 16 yr old was Pastor there. lol (sorry I can't hold back that laugh). He spewed something very similar to this kid. Emotional preaching.

That sermon (and I use that term VERY loosely) that kid preached is a total mockery. What has he actually been through by the age of 8? "I may have lost all my money" ... kid you aren't old enough to hold a job, what you lost your allowance money (couldn't hold that back either)? "Trials and tribulations", kid you haven't been through that much at your age. Life experience counts for something here.

Hey wait... maybe I wrong, maybe this is a move of God, maybe this kid does meet the qualifications of a Pastor.... (checking 1 Timothy 3:1-7)... Nope, he sure doesn't.

Like someone else mentioned, this kid is being set-up for failure. I am upset at whoever is pumping him up like that. I have a feeling that once this kid is grown up that he may actually turn away from the Faith.

LifeInReturn
10-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Yea, Shock, I feel you, fam...

Devin
10-23-2006, 12:54 PM
Hmmm...

It's very funny that I've encountered a similar situation to this one. Back in 01' I had visited a church along with my former Pastor, where the church we visited had a congregation of about 5 members (basically the kid's grandparents and siblings), and a 16 yr old was Pastor there. lol (sorry I can't hold back that laugh). He spewed something very similar to this kid. Emotional preaching.

That sermon (and I use that term VERY loosely) that kid preached is a total mockery. What has he actually been through by the age of 8? "I may have lost all my money" ... kid you aren't old enough to hold a job, what you lost your allowance money (couldn't hold that back either)? "Trials and tribulations", kid you haven't been through that much at your age. Life experience counts for something here.

Hey wait... maybe I wrong, maybe this is a move of God, maybe this kid does meet the qualifications of a Pastor.... (checking 1 Timothy 3:1-7)... Nope, he sure doesn't.

Like someone else mentioned, this kid is being set-up for failure. I am upset at whoever is pumping him up like that. I have a feeling that once this kid is grown up that he may actually turn away from the Faith.

haha!!!!you know the funny thing about this though?alot of ADULTS preach this way:eek:

yeah...he's struggled before....i know using that new "dora the explorer" coloring book can be complicated.....

yeah...ive been broke before too......o wait......i have a job.....i also have bills.....OOOPPPSSS...MY BAD!!!

J Hoyt
10-23-2006, 01:50 PM
What has he actually been through by the age of 8? "I may have lost all my money" ... kid you aren't old enough to hold a job, what you lost your allowance money (couldn't hold that back either)? "Trials and tribulations", kid you haven't been through that much at your age. Life experience counts for something here.
Exactly. The kid was simply lying.

Whoever ordains a 6 year old is asking for all kinds of trouble.

ZestD
10-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Simply a gimmick to maybe get exposure and more tithe & offering bucks.

Back to greed being rampant...especially in the American church.

Shock~Therapy
10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Who here has seen "Boys of Baraka"?

This kid reminded me a lot of that preacher kid in the documentary.

dremarshall
10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Well this is sad, very sad. Interestingly enough, these two boys now attend the school at my church, and there has been drama!!! But hopefully they will be filled with the word & discipled. What I hate is that they're being prostituted, that's not cool. It's bad to exploit children, and we wonder why they fall away, it hurts me & my family at the church, the whole staff likes these little boys, and are constantly talking with the fam. The dad isn't saved either, sad man, sad.:(