PDA

View Full Version : May We Pray The Imprecatory Psalms??

Single Eye
10-20-2006, 03:45 PM
If you have the time, read at LEAST some of this article....comments?

www.the-highway.com/articleJune00.html

(this is not an endorsement of all content at this site, I wouldn't entirely agree with the writer on every aspect of theology!)

BondServant
10-20-2006, 04:36 PM
If you have the time, read at LEAST some of this article....comments?

www.the-highway.com/articleJune00.html

(this is not an endorsement of all content at this site, I wouldn't entirely agree with the writer on every aspect of theology!)

My Pastor recently spoke on this. We have been goin through the Songs of Ascent and he was saying that there are times that we can pray the imprecatory Psalms. We sing the psalms and he felt that they relaxed on the psalms and that that was a fault fo the writers. I don't know, I agree though.

montenell
10-20-2006, 04:52 PM
ok folks define imprecatory

BondServant
10-20-2006, 04:54 PM

Prayers that invoke curses on enemies. On those who hate God.

Psalm 129:5,6
5May all who hate Zion
be put to shame and turned backward!
6Let them be like the grass on the housetops,
which withers before it grows up,

Single Eye
10-20-2006, 09:46 PM

a small exerpt from James E. Adams "May We Pray The Imprecatory Psalms?":

To pray the imprecations of the Psalms is to surrender all rights for vengeance to God. It means being prepared to suffer and to endure without personal revenge or hatred as Christ did. It involves being gentle and loving even when I am reviled and persecuted. It encompasses acknowledging in all my ways that God’s cause is more important than I am.

In fact, to understand fully the imprecations in the Psalms it is essential to remember that “the welfare of man is not the chief end of man” (not even the welfare of redeemed man). Do not forget “that we sinful creatures have no inherent rights which our holy Maker must respect” (not even rights to pursue our own defense).

God may, without violating any obligation, take any man’s life at any time and in any way; and that it is one with this for God to inspire the Psalmjst to pray that he should do so in a particular instance, the prayer itself being altogether proper since it is divinely inspired.5

We must learn to pray Christ’s imprecations just as He taught us to pray, “Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.” Only in Christ can we truly make these prayers for Christian victory