PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it real part 1: The N-Bomb!

topherstyles
10-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok so today I was listening to these cats on myspace that had christian rap in there title, and they were calling themselves dope boys and droping n bombs here and there, and next thing I know they were saying "something" or another about christ.

So I was wondering what do ya'll think?
As christian rappers, gospel rappers whatever, for the sake of "trying to keep it real" or being "street", should we be using the *N* word in our music?

How many of you use this word in your daily conversation?
I know I do every now an then....Is this wrong?

Where do we draw the line between being black, and being christian?

LENZ_1
10-20-2006, 03:06 PM
You shouldn't have to draw a line. Who says you have to sacrifice your heritage for you faith? Being black, white or whatever is not defined by what you do, it's defined by who you are, and where you're from.

Now, as far as the N-bomb is conscerned, I feel it all comes down to understanding what you're saying. Me personally. I don't talk to any ignorant folk, so I wouldn't call them that. And in the event that I do, I'd much sooner ignore them.

jeyjey34
10-20-2006, 03:14 PM
In MY OPINION....the N word is offensive and should not be used by ANYONE.

StreetSermonz
10-20-2006, 03:14 PM
agreed.

Danielle
10-20-2006, 03:22 PM

fo sure fo sure!

nygurl
10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Yea I say the word on a regular basis

jeyjey34
10-20-2006, 03:26 PM

Why do you choose to be disrespectful to black people? :confused:

Shirverlion
10-20-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't say it regularly, but it does come out from time to time. I'm trying to stop saying that and "blood" all the time.

Shirverlion
10-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Where's QuietStorm and his popcorn eating smiley when you need them.:D

mr808
10-20-2006, 03:43 PM
nuclear bomb?

jeyjey34
10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
nuclear bomb?

That's pretty funny, Mr. Airplane, I mean, Mr. 808. :D

simplyG
10-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Ok so today I was listening to these cats on myspace that had christian rap in there title, and they were calling themselves dope boys and droping n bombs here and there, and next thing I know they were saying "something" or another about christ.

As christian rappers, gospel rappers whatever, for the sake of "trying to keep it real" or being "street", should we be using the *N* word in our music?

As far as being Black or Christian, Christian first--but we vcan't even agree on how to do that. Black...hmm...

Using hhh philosophy, they can use the n-word because if they use it to save souls, it's okay!

savedbygracealone
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
me too

topherstyles
10-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Using hhh philosophy, they can use the n-word because if they use it to save souls, it's okay!
LOL! :D

I'm remain undecided...

Gloria
10-20-2006, 06:00 PM
nuclear bomb?

:p ;)

eve
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM

i can't wait until the day that these discussions don't come up. (no offense to the poster of the thread).

it amazes me that there are still people around who don't realize the magnitude of that word. amazing. and then some justify it (justify using a word designed to call you subhuman) by altering the pronunciation or spelling. it's almost like they're begging to say a word that folks not to long ago said while they were lynching folks. and putting their genitals in their mouths.

grrr ...

whose parents forgot to teach them things that didn't come to a legal end until 1964?

some are still not convinced. well, here we go.

what do you think these folks were calling this guy? (Look at the expressions on their faces!) http://faculty.washington.edu/qtaylor/images/event_omaha_courthouse_lynching.jpg

what about these people? c'mon, now. folks are arguing over a use of a word like that? http://www.pulsetc.com/image/2004/0225/duluth-lynching.jpg

Look at the comparison! http://www.crescentcitychronicles.net/REVIEWS/PLAYS/NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS/FLYER_OF_NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS.jpg

i don't know what else to say ...

savedbygracealone
10-20-2006, 06:43 PM
:(

Conviction Music
10-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Saying Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 is going to get them to identify with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and make the come to accept him as their Lord and Savior???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????:confused: No

topherstyles
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
i can't wait until the day that these discussions don't come up. (no offense to the poster of the thread).

it amazes me that there are still people around who don't realize the magnitude of that word. amazing. and then some justify it (justify using a word designed to call you subhuman) by altering the pronunciation or spelling. it's almost like they're begging to say a word that folks not to long ago said while they were lynching folks. and putting their genitals in their mouths.

grrr ...

whose parents forgot to teach them things that didn't come to a legal end until 1964?

some are still not convinced. well, here we go.

what do you think these folks were calling this guy? (Look at the expressions on their faces!) http://faculty.washington.edu/qtaylor/images/event_omaha_courthouse_lynching.jpg

what about these people? c'mon, now. folks are arguing over a use of a word like that? http://www.pulsetc.com/image/2004/0225/duluth-lynching.jpg

Look at the comparison! http://www.crescentcitychronicles.net/REVIEWS/PLAYS/NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS/FLYER_OF_NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS.jpg

i don't know what else to say ...

*GULP*:mad: :(

simplyG
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I have the first picture; it's in my Blood in the Face book.
Someone private message me--I have got to figure out how to attach pics like that some day...

Shock~Therapy
10-20-2006, 10:36 PM

Umm.. exactly how is using the n-word going to saves souls? Because people will relate to them more? Well if that's the case, why do they draw the line there? Why don't they go all out and use the s-word, f-word, and b-word? I really don't follow the logic there. The n-word is derogatory and has no neccessary application. I can sympathize with new believers using the word because they don't know any better, but we as experienced christians (especially ministers of the gospel through hhh) need to watch what comes out of our mouth because we can either speak life or death (James 3).

J Hoyt
10-20-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.crescentcitychronicles.net/REVIEWS/PLAYS/NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS/FLYER_OF_NO_NIGGERS_NO_JEWS_NO_DOGS.jpg
Ok, hopefully I don't start something too big but this is an argument I hear a lot but I've never understood. Obviously N----- is being used in a hateful way hear but Jew is being used in the exact same way with the same hateful attitude behind it. Yet no one has a problem with calling a Jew a Jew despite things like this picture. Basically, how does the use of a word make it a bad thing? If every time the N word was used in a hateful way, it could be replaced with the phrase "black person", would people take offense to being called a "black person" just because it was used in a hateful way historically?

Psalmist
10-21-2006, 07:47 AM

I'm not going to lie like I read all the posts. What I will say is this. God has increased my sensativity to the vernacular used in the streets...and w/ all the distaste he is brewing in me for the f-bombs, sh*t's, a$$es, hell's, d@mns, b!tches, etc....the word n!gga is among them.

I know all the arguments as to why cursing should be allowed....shoot I even advocated for it. Who says that such and such is a curse word anyway? Man....if it is a stumbling block....get my drift? Let no man despise your youth, but be an example! See we are not only called to live a certain way, but to protect people's view of our lives!

dremarshall
10-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Never Ignorant Gettin' Goals Accomplished
http://i11.tinypic.com/4hhpiz5.jpg

:confused: :rolleyes:

TheRealPae
10-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Period!

One, Les!

Psalmist
10-21-2006, 10:16 AM

No way good brother....if its ok for one person to say it, its ok for everyone to say it....and I know you aren't agreeing w/ it....I'm just saying. For cats that use the word, don't get upset when you hear some vatos and white folk using it towards you....don't get aggressive, you have brought it on yourself.

topherstyles
10-21-2006, 10:49 AM

AHAHAHHAH!!!!!

mr808
10-21-2006, 10:58 AM
That's pretty funny, Mr. Airplane, I mean, Mr. 808. :D

Mr Airplane? That wasnt funny. I'll give you two guesses about what the 808 means. One clue, it has nothing to do with aviation. :eek:

CHRISTion
10-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Ok, hopefully I don't start something too big but this is an argument I hear a lot but I've never understood. Obviously N----- is being used in a hateful way hear but Jew is being used in the exact same way with the same hateful attitude behind it. Yet no one has a problem with calling a Jew a Jew despite things like this picture. Basically, how does the use of a word make it a bad thing? If every time the N word was used in a hateful way, it could be replaced with the phrase "black person", would people take offense to being called a "black person" just because it was used in a hateful way historically?Yo J, this is an interesting argument, and I thank you for posting it. I come from a background of using Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 as often as I would say "hello"-it became very very popular right around the time of gangsta rap and now it can be used as a term of endearment ("that's my Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29!"), as a way to start a sentence ("Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29, the club was CRACKIN last night!"), or as a way to express displeasure or hatred ("Man, I almost whooped that niggas [butt])-and these days, it doesn't even have to pertain to a black person-for I've heard mexicans and islanders use the term in conversation as well...

THE PROBLEM is that here is a word that is surrounded in confusion. See, I can meet up with ANY black person on this board and he can say "wassup Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" and there's not a problem, BUT, if I were to meet up with you, Ctide, Jolene, Street or any other white person on here and they said it, there would be MAD beef...WHY? Because somehow black people have convinced themselves that this is OUR word and only WE can use it correctly :confused: .

For a Christian to use it would break our Christian Liberty law, namely CAUSING PEOPLE TO STUMBLE-so it shouldn't be said. However, because hip hop is so largely popular (AND COPIED from the Gospel rap arena) it has made it's way over here as acceptable because some are "called to reach the streets":rolleyes: (uh huh)

I don't say it at all anymore (except for maybe a few slips :o ) but we ALL need to take a NO TOLERANCE stance on it in order to affect a change. It's hard for me becuz my cousins and some other family members use it so loosely, but I do my best to correct them when they do...

Thanks again for the post J-

Grace and Peace

jeyjey34
10-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Mr Airplane? That wasnt funny. I'll give you two guesses about what the 808 means. One clue, it has nothing to do with aviation. :eek:

Your area code?

Your weight?

simplyG
10-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Umm.. exactly how is using the n-word going to saves souls? Because people will relate to them more? Well if that's the case, why do they draw the line there? Why don't they go all out and use the s-word, f-word, and b-word? I really don't follow the logic there. The n-word is derogatory and has no neccessary application. I can sympathize with new believers using the word because they don't know any better, but we as experienced christians (especially ministers of the gospel through hhh) need to watch what comes out of our mouth because we can either speak life or death (James 3).

The majority of hhh I have encontered use this very argument to justify looking and talking and acting like the people they are trying to "minister," and in my opinion all of that is offensive. We have brothas lookin like sistas, dogs, pimps, hoodlems, etc., and then we get brothas lookinn like thugs and pimps and half-dead tryin to "minister" and "save" them from a life of thugery, pimpology and effete existence. That's my logic. If appearance and speech aren't the issue, the Spirit of those using those items are, then why not? If n-word is beyond redemption, maybe hh and its culture is beyond redemption as well. That's an opinion from an expereinced believer not tryin to look like a heathen to reach one.

simplyG
10-21-2006, 11:33 AM

now i got ganked again
How appropriate: wearin a dead wing jersey.

simplyG
10-21-2006, 11:35 AM

Negro in gloomy gehenna always?
I fell ya...

nygurl
10-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 and Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 2 different words in my opinion, if people think Im ignorant(not sayin u said that)for sayin the word, who cares? I really don't care what others think, they don't know nothing about me anyway.

Devin
10-21-2006, 01:18 PM

jeyjey..before u assume that shes trynna be disrespectful to black ppl...i think u should FIRST ask her reasons for using the word....

jeyjey34
10-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 and Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 2 different words in my opinion, if people think Im ignorant(not sayin u said that)for sayin the word, who cares? I really don't care what others think, they don't know nothing about me anyway.

You don't care what others think???

So you don't care if someone is offended by something you do or say?

What kind of attitude is that?

jeyjey..before u assume that shes trynna be disrespectful to black ppl...i think u should FIRST ask her reasons for using the word....
She knows good and well that people have a problem with the word, yet she still uses it. That's disrespectful.

topherstyles
10-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Nah, now this is real preaching thats gangsta!
*WARNING LOTS OF CUSSIN! I MEAN ALOT!*
http://dustin.imeem.com/video/pAnV0xO_
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Truth

SIKE! J/K!:D

BigJust
10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
you might want to add a cautious warning for the young folks on this.
WARNING MAD CUSSIN RIGHT HURR. i mean here.

Shock~Therapy
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
The majority of hhh I have encontered use this very argument to justify looking and talking and acting like the people they are trying to "minister," and in my opinion all of that is offensive. We have brothas lookin like sistas, dogs, pimps, hoodlems, etc., and then we get brothas lookinn like thugs and pimps and half-dead tryin to "minister" and "save" them from a life of thugery, pimpology and effete existence. That's my logic. If appearance and speech aren't the issue, the Spirit of those using those items are, then why not? If n-word is beyond redemption, maybe hh and its culture is beyond redemption as well. That's an opinion from an expereinced believer not tryin to look like a heathen to reach one.
Well quite honestly our goal should not be to redeem the Hip-Hop culture but rather the people in the culture.The problem is a lot of us take 1 Corinthians 9:22 (To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some) out of context and believe that we have to be imitators of the culture in order to reach them. Never that!! You don't have to use drugs in order to minister to someone on drugs. You don't have to shoot someone in order to minister to a man who committed murder. And you should not have to use the n-word in order to minister to the someone in the hip-hop culture. The point here is that we compromise ourselves when we use such language. When ministering our greatest tool and gift is our love. We should not be using foul language or flashy gimicks to attract souls to Christ. No we should follow John 12:32 (But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself.") and speak on God not the things of this world.

Psalmist
10-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Well quite honestly our goal should not be to redeem the Hip-Hop culture but rather the people in the culture.
Agreed!

Devin
10-21-2006, 04:05 PM

She knows good and well that people have a problem with the word, yet she still uses it. That's disrespectful.

well...actually SOME ppl..not all ppl....im not saying she right.....but only u and some others feel disrespected....im not sayign its right....but your attitude towards her is still inappropiate..i expect you to act like an adult and not get "emotional"...

Devin
10-21-2006, 04:22 PM

and you still havent ask her why she uses it..u just attacked...and that was it....

NinaNeen
10-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Lord have mercy...that's all I have to say :(

Quiet storm
10-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Well with all due respect sis I wouldnt call you "ignorant" (cause for many that word can be offensive) but the mentality that if you change the ending of the "N" word you have a different word is rather sad to me. IMHO it is an issue of being "conditioned" by hearing a word so much being directed at your people that you start to accept the word and adapt the word in your vocab. "Well they have been calling us "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" for so long I guess thats who we are lets just change the ending to "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" to be a little different." You see the samething happening with the "B" word cause for so many years men called women the "B" word now a days we see women going around saying "Yo thats my "B" right there I love you girl".

Devin
10-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Well with all due respect sis I wouldnt call you "ignorant" (cause for many that word can be offensive) but the mentality that if you change the ending of the "N" word you have a different word is rather sad to me. IMHO it is an issue of being "conditioned" by hearing a word so much being directed at your people that you start to accept the word and adapt the word in your vocab. "Well they have been calling us "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" for so long I guess thats who we are lets just change the ending to "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" to be a little different." You see the samething happening with the "B" word cause for so many years men called women the "B" word now a days we see women going around saying "Yo thats my "B" right there I love you girl".

yep..i agree...

ps.jeyjey...take notes..lol:p

nygurl
10-21-2006, 06:11 PM

Yo honestly no I don't care..yea its harsh but true, I get offended by things sumtimes but I suck it up and get ova it..I don't cry like a baby(not sayin u r)I know every1 doesn't have the same opinion as me so I don't trip when they say somethin I disagree with. Honestly people these days have problems with a lot of things these days(like some people have a problem with God bein in the pledge of alligence).Also Mad Loot is rite u could've heard me out first b4 u jumped the gun but its wuteva. U think Im disrespect dats u, u have the right 2 think wuteva u want..I don't think so and thats what matters 2 me at the end of the day(sorry if its sounds cocky or stubborn its the truth) I don't have any hard feelins its ur opinion and hec u don't even know me like that so its wuteva....

nygurl
10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Yea I hear ya

Quiet storm
10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Yea I hear ya

If you have time I want to know your thoughts on this http://www.metacafe.com/watch/73735/racist_teacher/

simplyG
10-21-2006, 06:51 PM

So post slavery trauma of you: Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 and Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 is different cuz massa called me Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29 and even I can't get that wors outta my mind so let's just call it affection.
Physical slavery is still alive as well as mental.

nygurl
10-21-2006, 07:41 PM
If you have time I want to know your thoughts on this http://www.metacafe.com/watch/73735/racist_teacher/
Yea I heard about that a long time ago....in that case yea its racist. If Im talkin 2 one of my close friends or wuteva and they/I be like wut up my Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29, I don't have a problem with it.

Quiet storm
10-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Yea I heard about that a long time ago....in that case yea its racist. If Im talkin 2 one of my close friends or wuteva and they/I be like wut up my Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29, I don't have a problem with it.

Well the teacher said "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" not "Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29" so why do you have a problem with what he said since in your opinion they are 2 different words. He was just repeating what his students say.

dremarshall
07-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I hate to ressurect this thread, but wasn't the word christian a racist term?

dremarshall
07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Honestly it's funny and I think he should be a teacher, and is probably a great teacher! He made me laugh and it was hillarious! I would not be angry at him at all as a PARENT! that lil N#$$AHHHHH probably did say it lol!

Spiderman
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I think saying it with close friends is ok.

benjamin
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lft42jf9RD1qa8ir9o1_500.gif