PDA

View Full Version : Cutting TV out my Life

Psalmist
10-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Good brothers (and sisters),
after examining my walk...I've noticed that TV has been somewhat of a stumbling block for me....its almost like a gateway drug. I used to see something too sultry on TV and then I wanted to hop on the INET...and maybe look to hard at some myspace profiles, until a popup comes, and then I'm hooked in...and etc (this used to be the reasoning in my head regarding the slippery slope) so I'm already sinning why not go all the way.

But I noticed something it wasn't the Internet that has been the probelm for me (b/c I aproach the internet w/ complete holiness and w/ my armor on), but the TV.

Seeing how many would say TV is a struggle for them and it should be cut out. Well I'm fasting from everything Television (I'll play some video games instead)! And taking 90% of that time and being productive w/ it. Idle hands....well you know the rest.

Psalmist
lets build

Psalmist
10-20-2006, 01:18 PM
lets build

savedbygracealone
10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
amen and i feel you! i am looking forward to moving into my new apt, where i wont have a tv and it wont be a temptation. very much a temptation to be slothful and not do things of eternal importance (be in the word, praying, witnessing, etc)

good stuff

also, when we expose ourselves to tv (same with secular music) it becomes a numbing agent! it doesnt seem so bad all that goes on, all the sin and godlessness... but when we remove the stimulus from us, and then try to go back after being away for a while we will be like :eek: :eek:

Psalmist
10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
also, when we expose ourselves to tv (same with secular music) it becomes a numbing agent! it doesnt seem so bad all that goes on, all the sin and godlessness... but when we remove the stimulus from us, and then try to go back after being away for a while we will be like :eek: :eek:
I dig....never thought of it like that....but it really do numb you to the sin..and all of a sudden, your sin don't look that bad, but it still is sin.

nar8ta
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
amen and i feel you! i am looking forward to moving into my new apt, where i wont have a tv and it wont be a temptation. very much a temptation to be slothful and not do things of eternal importance (be in the word, praying, witnessing, etc)

good stuff

100% truth!

I have never been a T.V. dude, I hate T.V. it's a waste of time to me.

Nar

Danielle
10-20-2006, 02:08 PM
wow, I have been thinking about this issue for a while now, and TV really isn't healthy to watch unless the programing is totally spirit filled and God related. Eveything else is pretty much trashy and filled with things of the sinful nature. It seems like almost every tv show disrepects God in some form or fashion, with the jokes, demeaning comments about Him, and I get really offended, but not enough to turn the station, so I now there is a problem there. Even my favorite show, Girlfriends, I am starting to fill funny about watching, it is too runchy(sp) and blasphemous(sp), I am starting to fill convicted about the show, although I love to watch it, I need to constantly be on guard.

Psalmist
10-20-2006, 02:39 PM
let me reword something....I'm not fasting, just getting rid of it. It might not be a struggle for others, but I'm just trying to press into purity you dig?

QuietSavedbySermonzfareal
10-20-2006, 03:23 PM
let me reword something....I'm not fasting, just getting rid of it. It might not be a struggle for others, but I'm just trying to press into purity you dig?
wow...:eek: ...that's dope homie... You're not watchin sports either?

lisajames96
10-20-2006, 04:10 PM

I agree. Praise God for direction. I wish I could toss ours out, but I can't. I can only press on for myself....but i think I would miss football(would have to start buying tickets and actually leaving my house...lol)

Tony Stone
10-20-2006, 04:34 PM
good move. it'll do alot of us much good.

eternal
10-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Buy me season tickets to the Warriors and a backstage pass to Countdown with Keith Olbermann, and I might join you

Psalmist
10-20-2006, 05:17 PM
nope....just the Christian channel.

Gloria
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
I haven't had cable since the middle of 2004 but I still have a TV set. I like to watch the local news and some of the Sunday news programs. I've cut back on certain kinds of movies. I still watch my favorite movies/shows on DVD. I think I've seen the first season of Good Times at least 200 times.:p

Sometimes I move my TV out of my bedroom sometimes. It's so peaceful to go to sleep in complete silence and to wake up in complete silence. It also keeps me from trying to study the word with the TV on.

I'd say it's a good idea to cut out the cable at least for a while. If you are a reality tv junkie like I was, it very easy to get caught up in the nonsense that happens on some of the shows. I like not feeling the urge to rush home to catch a program on the set.

naijagirl
10-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I've spent 2 years in college and I still don't have a TV. :) I'm not much of a TV person - I prefer to read books instead. I only watch TV when I'm over at people's houses. :) Seriously.

ROB
10-21-2006, 02:21 AM
Bro,

This is a good post. I am going to do the same. TV is the biggest struggle I have. There are many more productive things I could do with that time. Thanks for this post, bro.

Psalmist
10-21-2006, 07:35 AM
feel you family....but its more than counterproductive:
its desenitizing us to sin
its destroying our purity w/ hints of the popular world view

thankfull
10-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm not too much of a tv watcher. I do keep my tv on TLC, Discovery Channel, etc. I like reality type tv (not MTV and VH1 though! :rolleyes: )

Tarii_2sweet
10-21-2006, 11:37 AM
T.v is a waste of time not worth watching anymore

simplyG
10-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Good brothers (and sisters),
after examining my walk...I've noticed that TV has been somewhat of a stumbling block for me....its almost like a gateway drug. I used to see something too sultry on TV and then I wanted to hop on the INET...and maybe look to hard at some myspace profiles, until a popup comes, and then I'm hooked in...and etc (this used to be the reasoning in my head regarding the slippery slope) so I'm already sinning why not go all the way.

But I noticed something it wasn't the Internet that has been the probelm for me (b/c I aproach the internet w/ complete holiness and w/ my armor on), but the TV.

Seeing how many would say TV is a struggle for them and it should be cut out. Well I'm fasting from everything Television (I'll play some video games instead)! And taking 90% of that time and being productive w/ it. Idle hands....well you know the rest.

Psalmist
lets build

TV is such a big instructional tool today, used for good and evil.
What I watch mostly are sports, cartoons, news, and whatever I need help for at the moment (food for wifey, shed for backyard etc.).

Tarii_2sweet
10-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm not too much of a tv watcher. I do keep my tv on TLC, Discovery Channel, etc. I like reality type tv (not MTV and VH1 though! :rolleyes: )

discovery channel isn't the same anymore i dont like it they have some sick stuff on there.. it use too be good

ROB
10-21-2006, 11:53 AM
feel you family....but its more than counterproductive:
its desenitizing us to sin
its destroying our purity w/ hints of the popular world view

I agree. My spirit is grieved a lot by what I see. What's so funny is that my flesh wants to watch some of that stuff, but my spirit doesn't, ala Romans 7. I'll bet I will get much closer to God once I get rid of cable.

I've heard people say that it's okay to watch whatever as long as you can handle it. According to 1 Cor 10:21-22 I wonder if Jesus could handle it? I'll bet Jesus Himself wouldn't be able to enjoy much of the programming that's on today. Noone is expempt from the densensitizing you speak of. Again, good post, fam.

tlr
10-22-2006, 09:17 AM
I suppose the tv thing is a personal issue. Anything can be used for good or evil. At the end of the day it will come down to direction from the Holy Spirit. Just because you get rid of the tv does not necessarily mean your problems are over because the devil will get you to focus on something else. Learning to yield to the voice of the Holy Spirit so that he can give us the power to overcome and make us stronger.

peace

Psalmist
10-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I suppose the tv thing is a personal issue.
Not Really.....it has less to do w/ an issue and more to do w/ an infringement of purity. We are to flee anything that is sexually impure (meaning any hot and heavy kissing, sex scenes, insinuated sex scenese, movies that promote extra-marital loving, etc...)

Just because you get rid of the tv does not necessarily mean your problems are over because the devil will get you to focus on something else.

Has less to do w/ problems and more to do w/ protecting my purity. Although problems have arisen (in the past) w/ television, very few have arisen as of late. However, by taking the focus off of the inappropriate (b/c that is what it is....has nothing to do w/ personal conviction, but w/ laws set by the Bible's standard) and focusing it on what's important (My God, My Family, My Ministry....and in that order) then I have taken a stand for purity.

We as a nation of believers have not taken our purity seriously, and that is why so much power is lacking....it puts a wall btwn us and God!