PDA

View Full Version : Ludacris

Tony Stone
10-18-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/features/dp-1690sy0aaaaaoct17,0,4707058.story?coll=dp-widget-life

Check this Luda article and chime in w/ ur feedback. I found it intriguing on alot of levels.. discuss!

Less 'Luda,' more Chris
Rapper gets back to the more serious roots of hip-hop by making music with a message
BY REBECCA LOUIE/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
October 17, 2006
He's pocketed platinum albums as a campy rap character and nabbed Hollywood props in the Oscar-worthy films "Crash" and "Hustle and Flow." But these days, Ludacris is through with the role play. He just wants to be himself.

On his new album, "Release Therapy," Chris "Ludacris" Bridges peppers his usual raunchy club bangers with introspective, socially conscious tracks. Tackling ghetto strife, prison life, Hurricane Katrina and the struggles of women, Luda feels his latest work represents a 29-year-old man with a daughter and a vision.

"Life is about growth and change and that's what's happening right now," he says. "Once you get to your late 20s, a lot of things start becoming more clear. You're just trying to be a better person. ... My main goal is to show the complexities of human nature."

Reclined in a Manhattan hotel suite, Luda's look complements his subdued demeanor. His signature braids are gone, traded for a simple fade. The animated rapper who once hung Mini-Me from his necklace in the "Number One Spot" video almost seems understated in plain Gucci shades, five-carat diamond studs, black T-shirt and jeans.

"It was a risk to take but I was willing to take it," he says of his new tone. "Risk takers are the people who succeed the most."

"Therapy's" first single, however, plays it

safe: "Money Maker," featuring Pharrell Williams, is about jiggling body parts and subsequent things to do with them (other album guests include R. Kelly, Young Jeezy, Beanie Sigel, Pimp C and C-Murder).

"Money Maker" is climbing the charts, but whether fans will embrace Luda's new message remains to be seen. An early album review in Entertainment Weekly calls his deeper work "well-intentioned" but "trite."

"I feel in Luda's career, his over-the-topness ended up being a detriment because he didn't make a real connection to the audience," says Elliott Wilson, editor in chief of hip-hop magazine XXL. "Luda makes music that people want to pump, but he hasn't reached them on that personal level. He's still coming for that number one spot, and for whatever reason he's still not getting it. It's becoming more and more frustrating for him and I think that he's challenging himself to reinvent himself, to show more sides."

The current rap climate might be right for such a shift, suggests Helen Little, program director of New York hip-hop station Power 105.1.

"Having a conscience now is cool," says Little. "We like to have a good time but we are also in a place where we are dealing with terrorism, war, social issues that face us every day. That is reflected in the art we are interested in."

"Therapy" delves deep into Luda's current concerns. On the confessional "Freedom of Preach," bookended by words from New Birth megachurch leader Bishop Eddie Long, Luda asks for forgiveness for hip-hop beefs, struggles with his daughter Karma's mother and being rude to his fans. He also asks God to forgive others - including Oprah Winfrey, whom he has criticized for marginalizing rappers.

"My daughter had a lot to do with it," says Luda. "I no longer can think for myself any more. I am thinking for two people, for a generation to come. I mean, nobody is perfect and you go through life and it's almost like you learn from your mistakes. To me, that's what being a man is all about. Being that able to admit your faults and say that you want to do better."

Also inspired by his daughter, who just turned 5, is "Runaway Love," featuring Mary J. Blige, documenting the drama of young womanhood.

It's a major departure from his previous odes to women, which include "P-Poppin'," "Hoes In My Room" and the global playboy track "Area Codes."

"My daughter has had a major impact in my life," he says. "Struggles that go on with younger ladies, with child abuse, early pregnancies, I just feel like talking about it is the first step in trying to solve the problem."

He's also trying to walk the walk. Recently, the Ludacris Foundation had its first back-to-school event, providing more than 200 students in his Atlanta hometown with supplies, shoes, haircuts and health screenings.

"A lot of kids go back to school and concentrate on their clothing before they concentrate on their studies," he says. "I just try to get that out of the way. (I) faced that pressure, kids making fun of you and stuff because you aren't fortunate, sometimes with the clothes I would wear because they would be cheap. But they can't pick on me any more."

Ultimately, the record is Luda's offering for fans to ease the strain of daily life with music.

"The sex songs they'll help you relax, the club songs people can unwind and have a good time, and some songs, when I am talking about so many issues, it's release, me getting stuff of my chest," he says. "The truth will set you free."

Follow God, Not Man
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
He has a song with Bishop Eddie L Long at the end of the album called Freedom of Preach

JusThoughtZ
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
all i need to say is i was there when he spoke about how he changes things in his life as he starts seeing them clearer and as God reveals them...he's not looking for anyone to change him but that authenticate relationship and that stability of peace...big ups to that....no matter what the future may hold for him or what his past track has been ...i praise God for whatever He is doing in Chris' life...and thats word

aside from all that ....i really like his "Freedom of Preach" song....it speaks mad truth ...but yeah anywhooooo

*picks up bag and disappears in crowd as Stone Society suddenly appears*

WHAT GWAN LINKS!!

~JusT~:cool:

simplyG
10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Hmm...we'll see...

nygurl
10-18-2006, 08:31 PM
I have the album and 4 the most part its good. The first half of the album(except 4 tracks 1& 2) Im not feelin, the songs are about the same 'ol thing girls and sex. The second half of the album iz off da chain, he speaks about real issues like what goes on behind the scenes in the music industry and things of that nature. Luda did change, its about time some fo these cats talk about some real stuff.

Brinson
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Well brother T.Stone what is your take on this whole THING?

mr808
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I like Luda. I wish he wasnt so foul and would use his talent to at least further some social causes (for which in the past he hasnt really offered anything socially redemptive in the least... much less anything Godly).

Not that I want a 'Christian' version of him, Id love it if someone was able to come with a delivery and approach that he has. I find him compelling in that sense.

jeyjey34
10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Not that I want a 'Christian' version of him, Id love it if someone was able to come with a delivery and approach that he has. I find him compelling in that sense.

There are plenty of Christian rappers better than Ludacris. :cool:

illuminaticx
10-19-2006, 10:07 AM

What do you mean by better? In what aspect? Lyrically, beats, style or flow? What Christian rapper can match Luda's style or flow? Now if you think that there are Christian rappers who are better in your opinion then that's coo. I personally haven't heard anyone in Christian rap who we could compare to Luda. This is not to say there are no good Christian rappers that can match him lyrically but style wise they can't touch him. Just because their Christian doesn't make them better musically. Better off spiritually, yes. No one in the secular industry can match Luda's style. Luda picks beats that would match his flow and his beats are just sick. Same thing with Busta Rhymes. They both make it look easy. They have good voices and when they flow it just grabs you. It pulls you in to the song.

ok, back to the discussion. :)

Go cop that Mark J album. :cool:

J =]

Brinson
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
What do you mean by better? In what aspect? Lyrically, beats, style or flow? What Christian rapper can match Luda's style or flow? Now if you think that there are Christian rappers who are better in your opinion then that's coo. I personally haven't heard anyone in Christian rap who we could compare to Luda. This is not to say there are no good Christian rappers that can match him lyrically but style wise they can't touch him. :

J =]

HEHEHE we got a brother on here that is Way betta than Luda Style and Flow. you don't have to look too far REDD LETTAZ .....hands down. ( punchlines, flow, song concepts, pure skillz)

that is just one of the many ..... hear are some others

1. Lryically...... Readywriter ( have you heard of him? )
2. Flowing wise ..... Dae - Lee

I mean i was a big luda fan when he first came out and the first couple of LPs yea he was real good and from the Souf so i was like yea but now im like dude it is some folks out here now who just have it natural.....

but that is off of a point....

4Sight Sounds
10-19-2006, 10:20 AM
He has a tough road to travel with many distractions. Looks like age may be opening his eyes to some things. Hopefully, God is involved in Chris' desire to change directions.

Mat 19:24 "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Mat 19:25 When the disciples heard {this,} they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?" Mat 19:26 And looking at {them} Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

jeyjey34
10-19-2006, 10:27 AM
No one in the secular industry can match Luda's style. Luda picks beats that would match his flow and his beats are just sick. Same thing with Busta Rhymes. They both make it look easy. They have good voices and when they flow it just grabs you. It pulls you in to the song.

I wasn't saying that because they're Christian, they're better. I was speaking mainly on flows, wordplay, etc... Of course, if you have tight beats, that gives the appearance that your skill is THAT MUCH better, but give a SKILLED christian rapper the same quality beats and I'm positive they can be just as good and better.

LENZ_1
10-19-2006, 10:51 AM
HEHEHE we got a brother on here that is Way betta than Luda Style and Flow. you don't have to look too far REDD LETTAZ .....hands down. ( punchlines, flow, song concepts, pure skillz)

I mean i was a big luda fan when he first came out and the first couple of LPs yea he was real good and from the Souf so i was like yea but now im like dude it is some folks out here now who just have it natural.....

Agreed, not to mention, duke's got beats for weeks!

illuminaticx
10-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Yea, no doubt. Them brothers are holding it down for sure. Those are some really nice artist. I think Redd Letterz is slept on.

However, I don't think we can compare them to Luda. I think your comparing the wrong rappers. Like comparing apples to oranges. I can say Japhia has a good flow and dope beats but he's not on the same level as Luda. Japhia has a nice delivery and flow and his style is great but if we start to compare him to Luda then we can easliy see (be truthful) the differences. I know a lot of Christian rappers that can blow a lot of secular artist out da water. I'm not saying it's not possible but in this case I personally don't think we can compare any Christian rapper to Luda. Let me quote myself:

This is not to say there are no good Christian rappers that can match him lyrically but style wise they can't touch him.- I didn't say they couldn't touch him lyrically.

If I'm comparing a Christian rapper to a secular rapper then I'm going to be looking at the following:

1. Beats

2. Flow

3. Lyrics

4. Style

5. Over all talent and production

*not in any particular order.

Should we compare Christian rappers to secular artist? Maybe but in some cases it might not be fair for either side.

If all you listen to is Christian rap then I think you should find an artist, who is Christian, who has a similar flow and be supportive of that artist.

Don't get it twisted. I'm not trying to advocate for Luda but I think we shouldn't down grade a secular artist talent wise because their secular. Same thing with Christians. I don't think we should upgrade them talent wise because their Christian. That's the impression I get from some Christians and it's coo if you think a Christian artist has more skills then a secular artist. I'm not saying anything against that. You just have to keep it balanced and in the right perspective.

:)

J =]

illuminaticx
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I wasn't saying that because they're Christian, they're better. I was speaking mainly on flows, wordplay, etc... Of course, if you have tight beats, that gives the appearance that your skill is THAT MUCH better, but give a SKILLED christian rapper the same quality beats and I'm positive they can be just as good and better.

No doubt I agree. I think what your trying to touch on is lyrics. That seems to be what stands out the most to me. I did mention that some Christian rappers can probably match him lyrically. For sure. :cool:

J =]

eyesofphaith
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
No doubt I agree. I think what your trying to touch on is lyrics. That seems to be what stands out the most to me. I did mention that some Christian rappers can probably match him lyrically. For sure. :cool:

J =]

And I think style wise which is how those lyrics are delivered Luda still has yet to have any one else I've heard mirror him be it secular or Christian. Same with busta. His delivery is completely unique and if you know a Christian rapper that sounds similar in delivery holla back..I'd love to hear em. Not just because they sound like Luda but because then I can have proof to say yeah someone actually is out there. And if I run into someone with a similar question I can tell them where to go.

Enigmatic
10-19-2006, 02:26 PM

flow-wise, no, there isn't. stop lying to yourself. Luda is unique with his delivery. Never using the same flow twice. do the research

jeyjey34
10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
flow-wise, no, there isn't. stop lying to yourself. Luda is unique with his delivery. Never using the same flow twice. do the research

LOL, man whatever.

That was just my opinion.

And you have your opinion.

You can't say that mine is wrong and yours is right because you can't really come to a conclusion on an opinionated topic.

simplyG
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Boo Luda!

ZestD
10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
So reading through this entire thread and this post, there are people excusing the poison the Luda puts into millions of top-40 radio and Mtv/BET prisoners.

Way to go.

simplyG
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
We'll just pray over his lyrics and beats so that the edify instead of putrify.

ZestD
10-19-2006, 07:04 PM
We'll just pray over his lyrics and beats so that the edify instead of putrify.
Is there a personal problem 'G'?

The lyrics are the problem, as in the other thread...not the beats. Musical chords and bass can't be evil. That's like saying a rock is evil or a gun is evil because sometimes people use them for bad.

simplyG
10-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Once you've added meaning to something, that image remains for a long time, perhaps forever, no matter what other coat of paint a lip-syncing rapper puts on it. It's a medical fact that's accepted by millions outside of hh. No problems here.

Enlighten
10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Luda is his own man it's somebody can copy do better is possible but I gotta hear it tho, ther are my christian the can match hi lyricial no duh, but his style is unique. Just looking at this from a neutral view.

Peace

StreetSermonz
10-19-2006, 07:44 PM
FLAME has a better flow, better delivery and more breathe control than Luda. As does shai linne. Lecrae is right up there with these two.

StreetSermonz
10-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Is there a personal problem 'G'?

The lyrics are the problem, as in the other thread...not the beats. Musical chords and bass can't be evil. That's like saying a rock is evil or a gun is evil because sometimes people use them for bad.
I agree with G, beats do have spiritual implications, but let's not change the topic, there's another thread for that issue.

invisible man
10-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Was the point of this thread to talk about Luda flow?:confused:

CHRISTion
10-20-2006, 01:19 AM
Was the point of this thread to talk about Luda flow?:confused:
I'm not quite sure...I'm guessing, but I'll wait for T.Stone to chime back in... I don't know why we would spend time talking about Luda (or Jay Z or Nas or 50 or whoever isn't reppin tha King)

I pray God saves him though.

mr808
10-20-2006, 10:10 AM
So reading through this entire thread and this post, there are people excusing the poison the Luda puts into millions of top-40 radio and Mtv/BET prisoners.

Way to go.

No, I dont think people are. Most seem to be talking simply about the skill involved and not the aforementioned foulness which is his content.

simplyG
10-20-2006, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Stone]http://www.dailypress.com/features/dp-1690sy0aaaaaoct17,0,4707058.story?coll=dp-widget-life

Check this Luda article and chime in w/ ur feedback. I found it intriguing on alot of levels.. discuss!

Less 'Luda,' more Chris

"Life is about growth and change and that's what's happening right now," he says. "Once you get to your late 20s, a lot of things start becoming more clear. You're just trying to be a better person. ... My main goal is to show the complexities of human nature."

Is he a Christian now--or seeking Christ now? Based on this album, I don't know...

Reclined in a Manhattan hotel suite, Luda's look complements his subdued demeanor. His signature braids are gone, traded for a simple fade.

About time...

"I feel in Luda's career, his over-the-topness ended up being a detriment because he didn't make a real connection to the audience," says Elliott Wilson, editor in chief of hip-hop magazine XXL. "Luda makes music that people want to pump, but he hasn't reached them on that personal level. He's still coming for that number one spot, and for whatever reason he's still not getting it. It's becoming more and more frustrating for him and I think that he's challenging himself to reinvent himself, to show more sides."
INcrease crossover appeal by being less threatening...

"Having a conscience now is cool,"

Always been cool, perhaps now it's profitable...
"Therapy" delves deep into Luda's current concerns. On the confessional "Freedom of Preach," bookended by words from New Birth megachurch leader Bishop Eddie Long, Luda asks for forgiveness for hip-hop beefs, struggles with his daughter Karma's mother and being rude to his fans. He also asks God to forgive others - including Oprah Winfrey, whom he has criticized for marginalizing rappers.
Praise from Caesar...

"My daughter had a lot to do with it," says Luda. "I no longer can think for myself any more. I am thinking for two people, for a generation to come. I mean, nobody is perfect and you go through life and it's almost like you learn from your mistakes. To me, that's what being a man is all about. Being that able to admit your faults and say that you want to do better."

What about the other daughters his music defiled?...

Well, I hope he's on his way now. He has a lot to unravel.

Tony Stone
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for chiming in. I want to steer the topic back in the direction of my original intent, which wasn't to say who has better flow or skill or beats or anything like that.

I wanted to examine this article from a few perspectives because i found it highly intriguing on a few levels. First off, I want to say that Luda's faults are pretty plain and obvious. I'm not really going to pick him to death. The fact that he sees the use of "sex songs" for relaxing, "forgiveness for oprah" in a non-bliblical sense, and other things i belive reveals a great deal of where his heart and mind is, so I won't dwell entirely on that.

1- I find it interesting how from a music market perspective, someone as large as Ludacris is seen as taking a major risk by doing music that (in a worldly sense) is seen as socially concious and content driven. It goes to show that even large artists are slaved to a machine that demands basic sinful principles for musical concepts. Even his lead single plays off the same over and over sin topics that guarentees sales. Luda, as are other stars, is enslaved to the big money system, but beyond that, ultimately sin.

2- I also find it interesting how conciousness is reduced to fad. There of course is limited good in being "concious" outside of Christ, because one is still uterly unconcious, rather dead, to Spiritual matters. Aside from that thought, the idea of being "concious" appears to be something the industry is flirting with as it's next gimmick. Almost like the WWJD bracelets. After the fad is said and done, only those who really wore WWJD bracelets on their hearts will remain doing what Jesus would do. Ultimately there never really was an outpouring of desire to hear your sins and repent and believe, but outward signs of conciousness to the enviornment around you w/o any real offering to the problems which all are a result of sin and can only be rectified (at their core) through Christ. I call this "Symptom treatment".

3- I also find it interesting to see Luda entertaining some deeper thought. I only pray that he's getting an accurate picture of the gospel and not a flawed one.

simplyG
10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
We'll see how this turns out...

tlr
10-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Tell me luda attends church every week, right?... He saved or not? His flow can only reach where his spirit and soul are at. He is tied into the money shot. He will get the money as long as he sings the nasty stuff. Unless he is willing to put his career in the hands of God, his flows will be directed by the the record company.

Watch what you sign

peace

authentic
10-23-2006, 12:37 PM
this just confuses me. why there be discussion of how tight a secular artist is, just because he seems to be more conscience of his worldly demeanor. He has no annointing resting on his music. In the state he's in now, all we can do is pray the Lord will save Him. People talking about they like that one song at end of his cd that he has with the preacher, but look at what you gotta go through to get to that one song. Me personally, i'm not going to get so aquainted with the music of a secular artist that i start saying how tight he is or what ever.there are plenty of Gospel rap artists/ministers that we can talk about and uplift and support without having to turn to the world and look at what they are doing, i mean what does that actually say about a person that living for the Lord to actually put forth the effort to go to a record store and rush the secular artist section for a ludacris cd when there's a whole section in the back with those of us in it that are striving to put out God's word in our music but yet are looked over alot of times because our minds are set getting that wordly cd with those tight beats and lyrics, though there maybe a little cussing on but hey that don't matter because he got a religous song at the end of his cd so all that garbage before that is ok, come on .......... support the kingdom of God and stop putting money in the hand of the advisary. besides, what is ludacris or any other secular artist doing to edify your spirit? How are they inspiring more than the word to write Gospel Rap songs? and ya know, i really don't care if i get bashed for saying anything i said in this post, because i make no apologies for not supporting a secular artist when i support most of the soldiers doing their thing for the Lord!

Devin
10-23-2006, 12:41 PM
this just confuses me. why there be discussion of how tight a secular artist is, just because he seems to be more conscience of his worldly demeanor. He has no annointing resting on his music. In the state he's in now, all we can do is pray the Lord will save Him. People talking about they like that one song at end of his cd that he has with the preacher, but look at what you gotta go through to get to that one song. Me personally, i'm not going to get so aquainted with the music of a secular artist that i start saying how tight he is or what ever.there are plenty of Gospel rap artists/ministers that we can talk about and uplift and support without having to turn to the world and look at what they are doing, i mean what does that actually say about a person that living for the Lord to actually put forth the effort to go to a record store and rush the secular artist section for a ludacris cd when there's a whole section in the back with those of us in it that are striving to put out God's word in our music but yet are looked over alot of times because our minds are set getting that wordly cd with those tight beats and lyrics, though there maybe a little cussing on but hey that don't matter because he got a religous song at the end of his cd so all that garbage before that is ok, come on .......... support the kingdom of God and stop putting money in the hand of the advisary. besides, what is ludacris or any other secular artist doing to edify your spirit? How are they inspiring more than the word to write Gospel Rap songs? and ya know, i really don't care if i get bashed for saying anything i said in this post, because i make no apologies for not supporting a secular artist when i support most of the soldiers doing their thing for the Lord!

probably becuase gospel rap is wack.....

GOT YA:p in understand what u saying....

mr808
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Tony... I think he can afford to and is willing to take this chance in his career because he has 'made it' already (regardless if his intent is truly genuine or not). Had he done this on his first record, Im almost certain he wouldnt be where he is now.

servant
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
ay I have heard of Dae Lae his mixtape was pretty hot
Who is Readywriter does he have any cds or samples of his music

check out the singles of Jesus Instead of Gangs new album
www.genuinelife.com/recordz.htm

JusThoughtZ
10-23-2006, 11:25 PM
*sigh and thinks "WHomp WHomp" in head*

tlr
10-24-2006, 04:36 AM
is luda lifting up the kingdom yes or no?

H2flow
10-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Well I hope that it's a trend that he takes and keeps perfecting till he doesn't need a shake your booty song or for the love of money. Those types of albums were done in the 90's, I remeber how back in the day I would trip out how in one
song some rappers would be like we need to increase the peace in the hood, so on and so forth, and in the next track they would be like bragging on how they were killers and would kill anybody for almost anything, cause they were hard. I don't know could be luke warmness. I think some fools in the 90's thought they were real, while some recent rappers know that they are straight out lieing to sell records.

simplyG
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
chris bridges has a lot to atone for, and it's going to take more than a new album to do so. It's going to take a new life in a new direction.

yellow_glass27
01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
He has a song with Bishop Eddie L Long at the end of the album called Freedom of Preach

I know I LOVE that song.

Brinson
01-03-2007, 10:18 PM
ay I have heard of Dae Lae his mixtape was pretty hot
Who is Readywriter does he have any cds or samples of his music

check out the singles of Jesus Instead of Gangs new album
www.genuinelife.com/recordz.htm

ReadyWriter info

http://www.myspace.com/readywritterrw

also i know he has something coming out soon.

dremarshall
01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
This album has helped me in many was. I will be a witness to this dude real soon! I will thank him for his encouragement & transparency & then we gonna build about Jesus. I like this album.

Devin
01-04-2007, 03:10 AM
i dunnu....i seriously doubt it would help me witness...lyrics like "shake ya money maker" and references to sexual organs tend to make me not take some serious...i dont see the benefit from it really...but thats just me :rolleyes: