PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
This pass weekend I went down to VA to visit my old school for homecoming and I had my boy from philly come up to MD to ride down to philly with me. My boy happens to be a muslim cat and before we left for VA he asked me to take him to a mosque so that he could pray. He said he only needed 15 mins and I could just wait in the car. Now I respect my man as a person so I respect his feelings but at the sametime I knew he was taken part in a false religion so I wanted no part in taking him to the mosque. I denied his request and for the whole weekend there was tension between him and I and he was upset with me even after I attempted to explain to him my decision. I tried to witness to him on the drive going up to VA and coming back to MD but he wasnt willing to hear anything I said because he saw me as being close minded and cold hearted for not sparing 15 mins so that he could pray. My question is do you think I made the right decision by not taking him to the mosque or should I have taken him and then after the fact share my faith with him?

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
This pass weekend I went down to VA to visit my old school for homecoming and I had my boy from philly come up to MD to ride down to philly with me. My boy happens to be a muslim cat and before we left for VA he asked me to take him to a mosque so that he could pray. He said he only needed 15 mins and I could just wait in the car. Now I respect my man as a person so I respect his feelings but at the sametime I knew he was taken part in a false religion so I wanted no part in taking him to the mosque. I denied his request and for the whole weekend there was tension between him and I and he was upset with me even after I attempted to explain to him my decision. I tried to witness to him on the drive going up to VA and coming back to MD but he wasnt willing to hear anything I said because he saw me as being close minded and cold hearted for not sparing 15 mins so that he could pray. My question is do you think I made the right decision by not taking him to the mosque or should I have taken him and then after the fact share my faith with him?

You should of let dude pray for 15 minutes at his mosque fam.

I would of been swole too. That is something that is very important in Islam.

I had run ins with muslims but I would never stop someone from praying fam.

I would of shared what I believed with him after he prayed for 15 minutes......or maybe an hour or two down the road after I got through a couple HHH albums.

I don't like talking when the music is playing

LaRosa
10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
if it were me... i would've let him pray... and then share my faith with him

by not letting him pray, he wasn't tryin to hear anything u had to say about your faith cuz you just disrespected his

lj.

LENZ_1
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
You have the right to make whatever decision you made, especially if it's your car, and you're on a schedule. However, people can and will believe what they want, I feel, in respecting other people's freedom, I would've stopped. I wouldn't indulge in any conversation about it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's just MY conviction on the matter.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Sometimes you're the only Jesus people see

DJ Links
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
if it were me... i would've let him pray... and then share my faith with him

by not letting him pray, he wasn't tryin to hear anything u had to say about your faith cuz you just disrespected his

lj.

I agree with LaRosa on this one.

kingsman2ki
10-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I would have let him do his thing at the mosque. you would have been able to witness to him with more effectiveness if you would have let him do his deal.... in his mind, he thinks you don't respect him. That's why it was tense and he wasn't hearing you...

I look at it like this... it's not as if he was asking you to come pray with him for 15 mins....

Even though, we know what he believes is dead wrong, we still must be wise in our witness to the lost...

lisajames96
10-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't see anything wrong with your conviction to not take him. BUt I have a question? Is a mosque the only place he can pray? Were you aware of that at the time?
When he is saved(if it's God's will), I don't think he will still hold anything against you.

dremarshall
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Your boy was sort of offended & therefore closed his ears. Yo I was into Islan (Nation of the gods & earths) and one thing that really encouraged me was the youth pastor at my mom's church never pushed me away. He always hit me with the word, and told me I was wrong on things, but still embraced me. I would've let buddy stop and pray, and once he see that you respected him as a person, his ears are open to you, now you can have a healthy conversation. We can't impress our beliefs on anyone. I work with mad smokers. No I can tell them not to smoke and how bad it is, but I can't lock the doors. Onetime I took one of their packs, but two cigs in my nose then put them in the box and shook it. That stopped one of them for the day~! LOL. Yo just apologize to your boy, and ask him to forgive you, and get back on the right track, after that he will open again.

Shalom

CHRISTion
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
yo Q...im actually with u on this one. I don't know if I wouldve stopped...in a way by u stopping that would have been like a silent approval. the question iz, what do REALLY believe Jesus wouldve done? let them pray to a false God?

the main thing is that u pray & ask God to lead your decisions! do u feel like He was pleased? are u feeling conviction from Him or that dude?

dude should be happy that he got a ride. if u would have let him pray, who knows what else he wouldve asked for? what next "yo fam lemme pop in this lupe fiasco" or "yo fam, I actually need u to stop again for another prayer"... u get my point?

please GOD not MAN. there's nothing u could have done to ultimately change him anyway...that's Gods job. keep plantin seeds...

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
BUt I have a question? Is a mosque the only place he can pray? Were you aware of that at the time?

Well I directly asked him that question and he pretty much told me that his desire to pray in the mosque is similar to our desire to go to church in that we dont have to but we want to.

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I am honestly a little suprised by the responces I have recieved so far I thought cats would be telling me I did the right thing. Let me ask this though......lets say my boy was a devil worshiper and he wanted to go to his place of worship to pray for 15 mins would you still advise me that I should take him? If not whats the difference?

lisajames96
10-18-2006, 11:53 AM
I am honestly a little suprised by the responces I have recieved so far I thought cats would be telling me I did the right thing. Let me ask this though......lets say my boy was a devil worshiper and he wanted to go to his place of worship to pray for 15 mins would you still advise me that I should take him? If not whats the difference?

dont bother with the "what if's" cause you will only get counter "what if's"...Chris asked you a very good question(paraphrased). Are you feeling convicted(feeling bad) by God or by your friend response?

DJ Links
10-18-2006, 11:55 AM

Real talk. If dude was a devil worshipper he would never have step foot in my car. Only reason I said what I said about dude an Islam is because I have been there. You could have easily ministered to dude if you let him go and pray to his dead non existant god. You could have also shared testimonies of how God has moved in your life.

Danielle
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I would have let him pray, I would feel upset if I asked something that was muslim to take me to my church so that I could pray really quick, and they refused because they don't agree with my religion. You could have evangelized to him later. I agree with the statement that he probably didn't want to hear anything eles about Christianity, since you are an example of it. Maybe the only example that he knows.

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Let me give some more background about my muslim friend. Him and I use to go to a Christian College together (Liberty University) from 97-99. We use to rap together in a group called Triology and we also use to attend weekly bible study groups together. At some point a few years back he totally rejected the Christian faith (I would argue he never embraced it) and saw Christians as being close minded for believing in statements such as "Jesus is the only way". He constantly makes statements to me such as "We believe in the same God". So I had all this in mind before he made his request to go pray. The main reason I did not take him was to make it clear to him that yes I believe that Jesus is the only way and that I do not feel that we serve the "Same God".

kingsman2ki
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Bro, that's apples and oranges..... b/c if dude was a devil-worshipper you wouldn't have called dude in the first place....

i agree with a prior post, If the Holy Spirit haven't convicted you about it, then move on and God will let you cross paths with dude again to witness...

But just based on you posting about this situation, leads me to believe that the HS has convicted you alittle....

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Bro, that's apples and oranges..... b/c if dude was a devil-worshipper you wouldn't have called dude in the first place....

i agree with a prior post, If the Holy Spirit haven't convicted you about it, then move on and God will let you cross paths with dude again to witness...

But just based on you posting about this situation, leads me to believe that the HS has convicted you alittle....

Well I dont think its "apples and oragnes" because what distinquishes one unbeliever praying to a false diety from another unbeliever praying to a false deity. I did not post this cause I was 'convicted a little' I posted it because I feel its a good topic in which we can build on.

LaRosa
10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
i studied Islam in college... and while taking the course i struggled with that "same God" idea...

on the surface yes... Jews, Christians & Muslims worship the same God... God, YHWH, Allah... they're all "God" (for those that don't know, Allah is simply arabic for God, just like YHWH is)... but it's the God of the Old Testament scriptures

but then i thought about it... at the root we don't... because neither Jews nor Muslims believe that Jesus IS God... not just a good man or a prophet

so on the surface, yeah... we do (in the OT sense)... but no cuz Jesus is God, which Jews & Muslims reject

lj.

jnorman888
Let me give some more background about my muslim friend. Him and I use to go to a Christian College together (Liberty University) from 97-99. We use to rap together in a group called Triology and we also use to attend weekly bible study groups together. At some point a few years back he totally rejected the Christian faith (I would argue he never embraced it) and saw Christians as being close minded for believing in statements such as "Jesus is the only way". He constantly makes statements to me such as "We believe in the same God". So I had all this in mind before he made his request to go pray. The main reason I did not take him was to make it clear to him that yes I believe that Jesus is the only way and that I do not feel that we serve the "Same God".

Oh well in that case then NO! I wouldn't of let him pray either.

My assumption was that he didn't know anything about the Christian faith but now that you put a little context into it then I would of done the samething you did.

Live@Baruch
its a tough decision i woulda dropped him there and while he was praying I woulda been praying for this to be an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to use me to plant some seeds. By not dropping him he closed his mind to what u had to say but i understand u not wanting to aid someone in worshipping a flase God. But you knew he was muslim beofre he got in the car so imho u accepted the challenge to be hospitable to someone who doesnt believe as you. For someone who worships the devil it hits different and i see your point but if i can give ema ride in my car then i can wait 15 minutes i would pray a lil harder outside there spot but it dnt change

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 12:15 PM
I think it is a different story and situation if the person was once a "professed" Christian who went to Bible studies and spit Christian rap.

I would of seen it as an insult if such a person asked me if they could pray at a mosque.

So QS did the right thing.

BlackCalvinist
10-18-2006, 12:23 PM

I think you did the right thing for the right reason. I would've done the same.

I stick it in the same category as driving someone to an abortion clinic to kill their unborn child.

You did good. I'd rather lose a friend for biblical conviction than keep a friendship and give tacit approval to helping someone participate in idolatry.

eve
10-18-2006, 12:24 PM
hey, emerson.

did you feel led by the Holy Spirit to reject your friend's request to go to the mosque?

if so, you did the right thing by being obedient. i don't see any biblical support for aiding in someone worshipping the god of their imagination. in fact, in the OT, there were several kings who, though they claimed Jehovah, still maintained the "high places." in spite of their suposed devotion, God wasn't pleased. i also don't see where Christ had any part in helping folk pray to a god of their imagination.

i admire you. if the Spirit led you to do that (which I am inclined to believe He did, since scripture seems to support it), that was a hard act of obedience. no one wants that kind of tension. therefore, rejoice that you are taking part in rejection and being misunderstod. Christ suffered likewise. i would have been sissy in this situation unless the Spirit was more forceful in convicting my heart. keep working for Him, dude.

one last thing: when you declined your friend's request, that was something he'll never forget as long as he lives. he may even remember that moreso than whatever you would have said to him after he got out the mosque, mainly because your words and actions might have seemed like a contradiction. your rejecting his request will have a lasting effect, and now he'll have to consider the meaning of the Gospel yet again.

Mac the doulos
10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
i feel you quiet storm. you know I KNOW cuz we all went to college together...so i can give you a different perspective. i think it can go either way. i'm not SURE what Jesus Himself would have done. we can make claims and say we know....but we don't REALLY KNOW FOR SURE what He would have done in this situation. i agree with what has been said before....be led by God in every situation. we can't say that it would wrong or right to act in a certain fashion 100% of the time in THIS situation. basically....what you are askin for is people's OPINIONS as to what THEY would have done. so i'll add MY OPINION....MAYBE i would have let him pray, then spent the rest of the trip discussing the matter....but then again...i know this dude, and he shouldn't even be in this position now...so i could see it as you "silently affirming or condoning" due to the history of the situation. TOUGH ONE. once again....be led by GOD.

3SpiritsEM
10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
In reality, dud had not respect for u as a Christian.

J Hoyt
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Real talk. If dude was a devil worshipper he would never have step foot in my car.
QS had a good point. Is it more wrong for someone to pray to Allah than Satan? They're all sinners. I dont know of any guidelines that tell us which unbeleivers can get in our car and which ones cant, ie, which ones are worse than others.

Shock~Therapy
10-18-2006, 12:36 PM
hey, emerson.

did you feel led by the Holy Spirit to reject your friend's request to go to the mosque?

if so, you did the right thing by being obedient. i don't see any biblical support for aiding in someone worshipping the god of their imagination. in fact, in the OT, there were several kings who, though they claimed Jehovah, still maintained the "high places." in spite of their suposed devotion, God wasn't pleased. i also don't see where Christ had any part in helping folk pray to a god of their imagination.

i admire you. if the Spirit led you to do that (which I am inclined to believe He did, since scripture seems to support it), that was a hard act of obedience. no one wants that kind of tension. therefore, rejoice that you are taking part in rejection and being misunderstod. Christ suffered likewise. i would have been sissy in this situation unless the Spirit was more forceful in convicting my heart. keep working for Him, dude.

one last thing: when you declined your friend's request, that was something he'll never forget as long as he lives. he may even remember that moreso than whatever you would have said to him after he got out the mosque, mainly because your words and actions might have seemed like a contradiction. your rejecting his request will have a lasting effect, and now he'll have to consider the meaning of the Gospel yet again.

I agree with what eve said. You should not have to compromise yourself for anyone. And Yes you will face rejection because of this by your friend and there may be enmity between him and you for awhile. But also your friend will be a witness to just how unwavering your faith in Christ really is and that you are not easily moved. I believe this will cause him to become curious as to why you are so firm in your beliefs and in the end open up an opportunity for him to receive Christ through you or someone else. Please don't be discouraged by the outcome either way, as long as you are in God's will.

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Word I feel you Mac and I know you know the situation a little better than others. By the way I saw CZ at homecoming and got a chance to build with him a little.

i feel you quiet storm. you know I KNOW cuz we all went to college together...so i can give you a different perspective. i think it can go either way. i'm not SURE what Jesus Himself would have done. we can make claims and say we know....but we don't REALLY KNOW FOR SURE what He would have done in this situation. i agree with what has been said before....be led by God in every situation. we can't say that it would wrong or right to act in a certain fashion 100% of the time in THIS situation. basically....what you are askin for is people's OPINIONS as to what THEY would have done. so i'll add MY OPINION....MAYBE i would have let him pray, then spent the rest of the trip discussing the matter....but then again...i know this dude, and he shouldn't even be in this position now...so i could see it as you "silently affirming or condoning" due to the history of the situation. TOUGH ONE. once again....be led by GOD.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
QS had a good point. Is it more wrong for someone to pray to Allah than Satan? They're all sinners. I dont know of any guidelines that tell us which unbeleivers can get in our car and which ones cant, ie, which ones are worse than others.

Those that are closer to Christianity are better than others. ....or has more grace than others.

Some teachings are closer to the truth than others. And no I wouldn't let a Satanist into my car, but I would let a muslim into my car.

I think the difference is "ignorance" and his friend didn't have that therefore he shouldn't be allowed to pray for that would of been an insult.

J Hoyt
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Those that are closer to Christianity are better than others. ....or has more grace than others.

Some teachings are closer to the truth than others. And no I wouldn't let a Satanist into my car, but I would let a muslim into my car.

I think the difference is "ignorance" and his friend didn't have that therefore he shouldn't be allowed to pray for that would of been an insult.
I don't know if I'm real comfortable with that. I've always looked at it as all or nothing. Either you're worshipping the one God or you're not. Everything else is just an idol and no idol is superior to another, they're all powerless.

StreetSermonz
10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
If you are not saved you are NOT my friend.

This concept has been difficult for me to grasp, but it is a view I hold as of right now. I have a lot of friends from my former life (Before Christ) who I find it hard to keep in contact with, because I know I have no place fellowshipping with them, and I know I need to minister to them. So if your not saved, the only relationship I have with you is to minister to you.

I think you did the right thing QS. It was a difficult decision. I like to look at things from other perspectives, and what if you needed a ride to church and the person you were in the car with didn't want to drop you off because it was a Christian church? Interesting scenario. Continue to pray for him.

lisajames96
10-18-2006, 12:55 PM

i missed this the first time i read it... i agree God always agrees with Himself whether in the OT or the NT.

edit: Kings/Chronicles would be a great bible study for us HCR'rs(hint hint):D

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't know if I'm real comfortable with that. I've always looked at it as all or nothing. Either you're worshipping the one God or you're not. Everything else is just an idol and no idol is superior to another, they're all powerless.

I don't treat oneness pentacostals the same way I do Mormons. Why? Because one one has more light than the other. The same is true with my relations with Judaism and Islam. Judaism has more light than Islam therefore my conversations with them will be on a different level than with a muslim.

The same is true with a Satanist, and an Atheist. I would talk with a Satanist differently than I would an Atheist.

Just look at Paul's example. How did Paul talk with those philosophical pagans? Did paul talk to them the same way he did to nonbelieving Jews? No, it was different. Likewise, I don't talk to everygroup the sameway for some groups have more light than others.

Danielle
10-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I think you did the right thing for the right reason. I would've done the same.

I stick it in the same category as driving someone to an abortion clinic to kill their unborn child.

You did good. I'd rather lose a friend for biblical conviction than keep a friendship and give tacit approval to helping someone participate in idolatry.

yeah, I see the similarity, I had a friend in college ask me for the money to have her baby aborted, she was hysterical, but I told her that I could not contribute to the killing of her baby.

4Sight Sounds
10-18-2006, 01:04 PM
This could probably go either way....I probably would've told him that it's not gonna happen.

I would've been annoyed at the fact that if he felt sooooo passionately about praying at a mosque, why didn't he bring it up before ya'll got on the road? Then you guys could've discussed it. He knew you was a Christian....gimme a break. Do that on your own watch...I'm not impressed....lol.

But, on the other hand and slightly different scenario, didn't Paul observe Jewish ritual in the Book of Acts, for the sake of having an influence on the Jewish Christian converts?

....nevermind, that actually wouldn't apply to this case.

Shock~Therapy
10-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't treat oneness pentacostals the same way I do Mormons. Why? Because one one has more light than the other. The same is true with my relations with Judaism and Islam. Judaism has more light than Islam therefore my conversations with them will be on a different level than with a muslim.

The same is true with a Satanist, and an Atheist. I would talk with a Satanist differently than I would an Atheist.

Just look at Paul's example. How did Paul talk with those philosophical pagans? Did paul talk to them the same way he did to nonbelieving Jews? No, it was different. Likewise, I don't talk to everygroup the sameway for some groups have more light than others.

I don't think J Hoyt was saying he would treat everyone from different religions the same. No, the point is every religion/cult/system of beliefs falls short without Christ (John 14:6). So it does not matter whether you are muslim or atheist, you are still destined to spend eternity apart from God if you don't accept Christ.

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I would've been annoyed at the fact that if he felt sooooo passionately about praying at a mosque, why didn't he bring it up before ya'll got on the road? Then you guys could've discussed it. He knew you was a Christian....gimme a break. Do that on your own watch...I'm not impressed....lol.

Well he told me the night before we were to leave that he wanted to go to the mosque so he did give me an advance notice. In his mindset both him and I are praying to the same God so he saw no conflict in asking me a Christian to take him to pray.

J Hoyt
10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
I certainly talk to them differently. There's no need to prove to a Muslim or Jew that an omnipotent creator exists.

Deosn't mean I'd be quicker to let them in my car than others though.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't think J Hoyt was saying he would treat everyone from different religions the same. No, the point is every religion/cult/system of beliefs falls short without Christ (John 14:6). So it does not matter whether you are muslim or atheist, you are still destined to spend eternity apart from God if you don't accept Christ.

True, but if the person was raised as a muslim and if he asked you to pray at a mosque then I would see that as a different situation than what QS was talking about with his friend.

In that situation I would of let dude pray because he doesn't know what I know and it would of made the conversation about the Christian faith smoother.

In the case of QS I wouldn't of permited dude to pray because he was once a professed Christian......going to Bible studies with dude and in a Christian rap group with dude.

So in that case I would of said "NO!" or laughed in his face for he knows better.......he has no excuse.

Infact it would of been an insult

CHRISTion
10-18-2006, 01:50 PM
After reading my first comments, I am NOW Thoroughly convinced that you did the right thing.

#1-You were not convicted by God-so right there that's all that's important.

#2-I hear all this about sharing the faith, but let me ask you something, how much respect would another person have for a TRUE Christian who so easily gives in to compromise? I know I wouldn't have much respect for someone that gave in that easy...I mean, I'd be glad they let me do what I do, but then I'd know I can run over them from now on. Give a person a rope, he'll think he's a cowboy :rolleyes:

#3-I think sometimes we get sooo into thinking we can save everybody that we have an overtendency to compromise too quickly on things that we shouldn't and we should REALLY think about this. Is it more important to relate to people or is it more important to stand your ground? I don't think there's just a cut and dry answer to that, but we must ALWAYS use the Holy Spirit as our guide in these situations, but recognize that we are to be DISTINCT and recognize that just because we don't do everything another person asks doesn't mean we have a bad or ineffective witness.

QS, whether or not dude ever forgives you or talks to you is not up to you. Next time he will get a ride from someone else...and if God ever decides to change his heart, he will come back to you & perhaps this moment will be a moment that helped him gain perspective. I think we can all learn something from you bro.

Shock~Therapy
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
True, but if the person was raised as a muslim and if he asked you to pray at a mosque then I would see that as a different situation than what QS was talking about with his friend.

In that situation I would of let dude pray because he doesn't know what I know and it would of made the conversation about the Christian faith smoother.

In the case of QS I wouldn't of permited dude to pray because he was once a professed Christian......going to Bible studies with dude and in a Christian rap group with dude.

So in that case I would of said "NO!" or laughed in his face for he knows better.......he has no excuse.

Infact it would of been an insult

Yes, those are different situations, but both of them would require prayer in order to make to correct decision. I personally would feel like I would be aiding in that person's worship of a false idol in either situation if I were to drive that person to a mosque. In the case of a professed, life-long muslim, I wouldn't prevent that person from going, but I wouldn't be the one driving them there.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 01:55 PM
After reading my first comments, I am NOW Thoroughly convinced that you did the right thing.

#1-You were not convicted by God-so right there that's all that's important.

#2-I hear all this about sharing the faith, but let me ask you something, how much respect would another person have for a TRUE Christian who so easily gives in to compromise? I know I wouldn't have much respect for someone that gave in that easy...I mean, I'd be glad they let me do what I do, but then I'd know I can run over them from now on. Give a person a rope, he'll think he's a cowboy :rolleyes:

#3-I think sometimes we get sooo into thinking we can save everybody that we have an overtendency to compromise too quickly on things that we shouldn't and we should REALLY think about this. Is it more important to relate to people or is it more important to stand your ground? I don't think there's just a cut and dry answer to that, but we must ALWAYS use the Holy Spirit as our guide in these situations, but recognize that we are to be DISTINCT and recognize that just because we don't do everything another person asks doesn't mean we have a bad or ineffective witness.

QS, whether or not dude ever forgives you or talks to you is not up to you. Next time he will get a ride from someone else...and if God ever decides to change his heart, he will come back to you & perhaps this moment will be a moment that helped him gain perspective. I think we can all learn something from you bro.

Gandhi said he would of became a Christian if he saw Christians following him. What about the teaching of Jesus of going the extra mile for a person? God can use us to spread the faith so whatever we do or don't do will always have consequence.

Peace and God Bless

INLOVE Jnorm

Shock~Therapy
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Gandhi said he would of became a Christian if he saw Christians following him. What about the teaching of Jesus of going the extra mile for a person? God can use us to spread the faith so whatever we do or don't do will always have consequence.

Peace and God Bless

INLOVE Jnorm

I understand where you are coming from but I don't believe compromising your beliefs and standards is an effective witness to unbelievers. Take for instance Paul, he reached people where they were at and became familiar with their customs but he did not alter his message of the gospel nor was he moved by the people.

We must take these things into consideration, that the one who takes a stand is more respected than the person who has a "doormat" version of christianity. We are not called to Christ to become doormats, but we must suffer through persecution for Christ's namesake. I am more concerned with someone's salvation rather than their feelings.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I understand where you are coming from but I don't believe compromising your beliefs and standards is an effective witness to unbelievers. Take for instance Paul, he reached people where they were at and became familiar with their customs but he did not alter his message of the gospel nor was he moved by the people.

We must take these things into consideration, that the one who takes a stand is more respected than the person who has a "doormat" version of christianity. We are not called to Christ to become doormats, but we must suffer through persecution for Christ's namesake. I am more concerned with someone's salvation rather than their feelings.

I had two muslims who vowed to kill me and I had plenty of muslims who respected me for respecting them. I think we should choose our battles carefully fam. As long as the muslim thinks they are serving the same God as me then I will drive them to their mosque to pray or will walk them home so that they can eat at night after their fast is over for Ramadon.

I have done that and I gained respect. Infact part of the reason why I'm still alive today is because a few of the other muslims held off dude who wanted to kill me.

And I know that behind it all was the Grace of God so we have to choose our battles carefully.

Peace and God Bless

INLOVE Jnorm

One of their women converted and another one of their woman told me things I had no bussiness knowing but I had her respect therefore her heart was opened to tell me her troubles.

Shock~Therapy
10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I had two muslims who vowed to kill me and I had plenty of muslims who respected me for respecting them. I think we should choose our battles carefully fam. As long as the muslim thinks they are serving the same God as me then I will drive them to their mosque to pray or will walk them home so that they can eat at night after their fast is over for Ramadon.

I have done that and I gained respect. Infact part of the reason why I'm still alive today is because a few of the other muslims held off dude who wanted to kill me.

And I know that behind it all was the Grace of God so we have to choose our battles carefully.

Peace and God Bless

INLOVE Jnorm

One of their women converted and another one of their woman told me things I had no bussiness knowing but I had her respect therefore her heart was opened to tell me her troubles.

No doubt. That is why I said we must pray in either situation to receive direction as what to do. I had a friend in college who was muslim and respected me more for my firm stance in my beliefs. So it can have different outcomes, as long as we are within God's will when we make our decision.

jnorman888
10-18-2006, 02:40 PM
No doubt. That is why I said we must pray in either situation to receive direction as what to do. I had a friend in college who was muslim and respected me more for my firm stance in my beliefs. So it can have different outcomes, as long as we are within God's will when we make our decision.

agreed

chngdwumn
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Quiet, I would've let him go truthfully the HolySpirit is more powerful than any false God so that could've been an open door for discussion. I work at the gyn with I muslim been on Rhamadon (40 day fast) so on our break he whould and proclaimed he was on a fast so we got to talkin about the word and I could've told him to eat cuz he's fasting in vain- But I let him do him but like I said I was able to holla about Christ on that tip with him- Seed sown GOd does the waterin now dude us to try to holla at me all the time an since that discussion he got nough respect 4me.I feel some of the comments went way left to extreme but this my 2cent

Psalmist
10-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Nothing gives anyone the right to disrespect anyone. Bottom line, I know you dind't want to be a part of it, but if he was your friend, and you invited him knowing full well of his religious convictions, you should've taken him. It shows tolerance...and we are to be tolerant b/c in the midst of many false religions, we must still love everybody. We must hate the sin, but still love the person........actually now that I wrote that...I'm not sure good brother, thats a tough situation. I would've taken him, b/c this would've kept the peace enough for us to talk and for me to witness in the car ride. But hindsight is 20/20

the answer
10-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I hate comin in so late but.....

I think it might be a good question to ask if taking someone to pray is a endorsement of their religion?

I PROBABLY would have taken him and then DELIBERATLY used it as an oportunity to witness to him. But I don't think u were "wrong", maybe u just closed doors to witness to him.

its Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29Eph. 4:29

mr808
10-18-2006, 03:45 PM
QS - that's a really tough decision to have to make. I pray that the relationship can be rebuilt and that Jesus will continue to shine in your life.

LENZ_1
10-18-2006, 04:32 PM

With me, the difference would be (1) I wouldn't be rolling with him period. (2) if I was rolling with him for whatever reason, and his prayers or worship were not involving anything illegal, or attacking anyone spiritually, then I'd say go on, but I'd be praying for him the whole time.

StreetSermonz
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
With me, the difference would be (1) I wouldn't be rolling with him period. (2) if I was rolling with him for whatever reason, and his prayers or worship were not involving anything illegal, or attacking anyone spiritually, then I'd say go on, but I'd be praying for him the whole time.
amen, I like that response.

DLO
10-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Yo fam if thats your conviction and u honestly felt that thats what God wanted u to do .Then who r we to say it was God it was'nt God.I personally would of let him.Theres a diffrence between fellowshipping with darkness and invading it.My thing is I would of been prayin for him while he was in there.Then found a open door to minister to him.Now if u would of went in there and prayed with him for the sake of finding common ground to minister then thats wrong.Question what if u had a oportunity to convince someone not to get an abortion between there house and the doctors and u tried yor hardest to convince her but she went in any ways and did it.Would God be mad at your desision for passionatly tryin to take what ever oppurtune time u had to alter her decision.and do u also beleive that God is powerfull enough to move in ten minutes beetween her house and the doctors.What if u blatantly told her no and the Holy spirit wanted to use that as a set up for her salvation, but u never took that chance.

Quiet storm
10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
With me, the difference would be (1) I wouldn't be rolling with him period.

Out of curiousity but by this comment are you saying that you would never allow an unbeliever in your car? :confused:

HigherThought
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I think the assumption is that if you would of taken him to the Mosque that that in some way would of meant that you are approving of his idolatry. I think it is much more Christian to have respected his wishes than to deny a freedom of choice he has. Here is scripture that may shae some light...

1 Cor. 8:1-6 (NASB-U)
Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies.
[2] If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;
[3] but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.

[4] Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.
[5] For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,
[6] yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

You know that as a Christian the god of Islam does not exist. And, as a Muslem, your friend knows that you are not a Muslem. So, there is really know premise that will establish you in the wrong simply because you took someone to the Mosque upon request. You did not offer your friend the Mosque, you simply became a servant by taking him where he needed to go. I know if I needed a ride to my Church I would ask an unbeliever if he/she was the only option.

seal
10-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Yo,

I wouldn't have let that cat go to no mosque to pray on my gas. If he wanted to catch the bus there or a taxi that's on him. However, I pity da fool, if that person thought they would pray in complete Idolatry on my time. I don't even give cats rides to churches that I disagree wit yet alone a, well nevermind it's all the same to me. Islam, Watered down Christians churches, Mormoms, JW's all go in the same pile. So QS you definitely made the right decision and since God Ordained such a decision it was God's Will ;) .

People may feel like we can't completely know what would have been Christ instruction on the matter, but I disagree. Scripture doesn't leave us blind in such Cases and YHWH takes Idolatry as a personal insult. peep script...

Isaiah 41:21-29

21Set forth your case, says the LORD;
bring your proofs, says the King of Jacob.
22Let them bring them, and tell us
what is to happen.
Tell us the former things, what they are,
that we may consider them,
that we may know their outcome;
or declare to us the things to come.
23Tell us what is to come hereafter,
that we may know that you are gods;
do good, or do harm,
that we may be dismayed and terrified.[b]
24Behold, you are nothing,
and your work is less than nothing;
an abomination is he who chooses you.

25I stirred up one from the north, and he has come,
from the rising of the sun, and he shall call upon my name;
he shall trample on rulers as on mortar,
as the potter treads clay.
26Who declared it from the beginning, that we might know,
and beforehand, that we might say, "He is right"?
There was none who declared it, none who proclaimed,
none who heard your words.
27I was the first to say[c] to Zion, "Behold, here they are!"
and I give to Jerusalem a herald of good news.
28But when I look there is no one;
among these there is no counselor
who, when I ask, gives an answer.
29Behold, they are all a delusion;
their works are nothing;
their metal images are empty wind.

Okay when you see YHWH making accusations and threatenings like this it's time to be afraid homie, very afraid. So QS you did the best and most noble thing for this friend of yours and hopefully God is dealing with his heart upon your Faithful prayers and his Faithfulness to save.

Hail King Jesus,
seal

BlackCalvinist
10-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Brother Seal!!!

Amen! :D

LENZ_1
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Out of curiousity but by this comment are you saying that you would never allow an unbeliever in your car? :confused:

No, I'm definately not saying that. I'm talking about rolling with someone like that, it's just something I don't do.

Danielle
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
The point for me is this, I would not randomlly give a muslim person a ride to the mosque, but in this situation, QS invited the dude to go with him, and the muslim cat told QS that he needed to go the mosque before they left, he let QS know upfront, noq if QS agreed at first, and then decided to change his mind, of course I could see how dude was made. It's not like it was just a random act, but QS did state that he did invite the cat, and that he knew the night before that ole dude wanted to go to the mosque. In that case if QS said that he was going to do it, then he should have kept his word. Or am I missing something QS?

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
The point for me is this, I would not randomlly give a muslim person a ride to the mosque, but in this situation, QS invited the dude to go with him, and the muslim cat told QS that he needed to go the mosque before they left, he let QS know upfront, noq if QS agreed at first, and then decided to change his mind, of course I could see how dude was made. It's not like it was just a random act, but QS did state that he did invite the cat, and that he knew the night before that ole dude wanted to go to the mosque. In that case if QS said that he was going to do it, then he should have kept his word. Or am I missing something QS?

Just to correct a few things I didnt "invite" him to go with me in the sense that I called him up and was like "yo u wanna roll with me to homecoming" he pretty much invited himself and I agreed to take him to homecoming. The night before dude wanted to go to a Mosque in VA when we got down there but he looked online and couldnt find any in the VA area that was around our old school so he said forget it. The next day he woke up saying he found one in the MD area and wanted to hit it up before we left for VA in which I declined.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
No, I'm definately not saying that. I'm talking about rolling with someone like that, it's just something I don't do.

Fam all I did was give him a ride to homecoming so im not sure what you mean by "rolling with someone like that". I hadnt even seen the cat since the day I invited him to the shai linne release party in which he came through and enjoyed it. But I guess your holier than thou to ever be around an unsaved person :). Im just messin with you or am I ;)

CHRISTion
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Yo Q, did you say you and dude had beef the rest of the way? If so, what did you mean by that? Like he wouldn't talk to you at all, or that he was acting like a jerk to you?

-Also, do you (I'm talking personally here) really believe that he would've been more open to the Gospel if you would've let him pray?

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Yo Q, did you say you and dude had beef the rest of the way? If so, what did you mean by that? Like he wouldn't talk to you at all, or that he was acting like a jerk to you?

He pretty much just kept on saying things like "christians are so close minded", "your a typical Christian", "this is why people dont like Christians", "christians think they are better than everybody else" etc.......he just kept on taking shots at me being a Christian. I mean we still talked but every gospel rap cd I threw it he called wack (except for R Swift) and wasnt even willing to give it a fair listen because the cats were Christian. He assumed that Christian + Rap = Wack.

-Also, do you (I'm talking personally here) really believe that he would've been more open to the Gospel if you would've let him pray?

Well im not sure what you mean by "open" to the gospel cause he is totally depraved and only God can draw somebody to himself but the gospel was presented and he heard it but he rejected it. The problem was that I can tell he wasnt really paying attention to me when I would share with him so he wasnt giving me an honest listen. I really dont know if he would have paid more attention to me if I had taken him to the Mosque but after praying about it and reading through the comments thus far in the thread I feel I did the right thing.

LENZ_1
10-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Fam all I did was give him a ride to homecoming so im not sure what you mean by "rolling with someone like that". I hadnt even seen the cat since the day I invited him to the shai linne release party in which he came through and enjoyed it. But I guess your holier than thou to ever be around an unsaved person :). Im just messin with you or am I ;)

Personally, I don't roll with anyone I can't agree with or work with. If that makes me holier than thou, then so be it, cause I'm a do what I do. Wether I knew folk in the past or not, I'm not fooling with you, at all, unless God tells me to. Other than that, I have bigger fish to fry.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Personally, I don't roll with anyone I can't agree with or work with. If that makes me holier than thou, then so be it, cause I'm a do what I do. Wether I knew folk in the past or not, I'm not fooling with you, at all, unless God tells me to. Other than that, I have bigger fish to fry.

So like I said before you wouldnt allow an unsaved person to get in your car (to roll with you) which is all I did. Thats cool do you.

Danielle
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Just to correct a few things I didnt "invite" him to go with me in the sense that I called him up and was like "yo u wanna roll with me to homecoming" he pretty much invited himself and I agreed to take him to homecoming. The night before dude wanted to go to a Mosque in VA when we got down there but he looked online and couldnt find any in the VA area that was around our old school so he said forget it. The next day he woke up saying he found one in the MD area and wanted to hit it up before we left for VA in which I declined.

"Well he told me the night before we were to leave that he wanted to go to the mosque so he did give me an advance notice. In his mindset both him and I are praying to the same God so he saw no conflict in asking me a Christian to take him to pray." QS

My bad I must have interpreted this wrong, it seemed like he told you before hand that he wanted to go.

"This pass weekend I went down to VA to visit my old school for homecoming and I had my boy from philly come up to MD to ride down to philly with me" QS

It just sounded like you invited him, lol maybe I just read too much into it. lol

But anyways, if you had strong convictions about your decision, than you did a good thing. I know that it is much harder to stand against something than it is to stand for something to keep from causing conflicts. So I commend you in that case.

jnorman888
10-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey QS,

Why would your friend call "Christian rap wack" if he was once in your rap group?

Unless "Triology" wasn't a christian group.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 10:19 AM
My bad I must have interpreted this wrong, it seemed like he told you before hand that he wanted to go.

He came up to Baltimore thursday night and told me that night me he wanted to go to the Mosque on friday.

It just sounded like you invited him, lol maybe I just read too much into it. lol

Yeah I should have worded that better but he goes to homecoming every year so he would have went anyways but when he found out I was going this year he told me he would catch a ride up to Bmore so that we could ride together.

LENZ_1
10-19-2006, 10:24 AM
So like I said before you wouldnt allow an unsaved person to get in your car (to roll with you) which is all I did. Thats cool do you.

That's not what I'm saying.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Hey QS,

Why would your friend call "Christian rap wack" if he was once in your rap group?

Unless "Triology" wasn't a christian group.

Looking back at it now fam in the songs I use to do with my boy he never ever mentioned Christ so he really never fully embraced "christian" rap. I was a different person back in 98-99 so as long as he sounded "postive" I wasnt really concerned with the fact he never presented the gospel in his music. To be real with you I have no clue what his beef is with Christian rap (other than the message/content) cause lyrically cats are a lot nicer than the dudes he produces for. He is a producer in philly and produces for local cats including the boy Journalist who was on Canibus first album.

CHRISTion
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
He pretty much just kept on saying things like "christians are so close minded", "your a typical Christian", "this is why people dont like Christians", "christians think they are better than everybody else" etc.......he just kept on taking shots at me being a Christian. I mean we still talked but every gospel rap cd I threw it he called wack (except for R Swift) and wasnt even willing to give it a fair listen because the cats were Christian. He assumed that Christian + Rap = Wack.

Well im not sure what you mean by "open" to the gospel cause he is totally depraved and only God can draw somebody to himself but the gospel was presented and he heard it but he rejected it. The problem was that I can tell he wasnt really paying attention to me when I would share with him so he wasnt giving me an honest listen. I really dont know if he would have paid more attention to me if I had taken him to the Mosque but after praying about it and reading through the comments thus far in the thread I feel I did the right thing.THAT is what i was waiting to hear...I know not ALL believe this way, and we cant make 'em, but it is what it is pimpin... like I said before, he'll just get another ride next time. Let's pray that God will change his heart.

Peace bro

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
THAT is what i was waiting to hear...I know not ALL believe this way, and we cant make 'em, but it is what it is pimpin... like I said before, he'll just get another ride next time. Let's pray that God will change his heart.

Peace bro

lol true that is the last ride he is getting from me cause I dont plan on going back to visit my old school again. I havent even told cats what exactly happend down in VA cause if I did Lenz might come at my neck for being around sinners. :) Just kidding Lenz.

LifeInReturn
10-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Just weighing in, only read the 1st 2 pages. :o

I would have refused as well. Taking him would have been like taking him to hell. You would have been helping him continue to serve a false deity. I have a family member who has satanic / demonic beliefs but I allow him in my car all the time. I still care about his soul and his salvation.

To those saying you wouldn't even let dude in your car if he was a devil worshipper, that is the problem w/a lot of Christians. We would rather hang around our own kind than get out there and get dirty w/those who don't believe in Yeshua.

And they are the same. Whether they worship satan or a false god, I believe the origin of the false god is pagan and demonic in origin which still links to satan. The devil's in the details as they say.

Peace.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Just weighing in, only read the 1st 2 pages. :o

I would have refused as well. Taking him would have been like taking him to hell. You would have been helping him continue to serve a false deity. I have a family member who has satanic / demonic beliefs but I allow him in my car all the time. I still care about his soul and his salvation.

To those saying you wouldn't even let dude in your car if he was a devil worshipper, that is the problem w/a lot of Christians. We would rather hang around our own kind than get out there and get dirty w/those who don't believe in Yeshua.

And they are the same. Whether they worship satan or a false god, I believe the origin of the false god is pagan and demonic in origin which still links to satan. The devil's in the details as they say.

Peace.

^^^^^^Amen well said sis thanks for your insight.

HigherThought
10-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't understand why taking a Muslem friend to the Mosque upon request is wrong???

As Christians we spend lots of money to go to publics schools, secular colleges and universities, we spend money on movies, dot, dot, dot, and we think its wrong to take a Muslem friend to the Mosque to go pray???

Whats commical about the whole thing is that QS was going to a Home Coming where more wickedness is done then in Mosques. Not that that is an indictment on QS but if taking someone to the Mosque is wrong then taking someone to Home Coming is also wrong.

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Whats commical about the whole thing is that QS was going to a Home Coming where more wickedness is done then in Mosques. Not that that is an indictment on QS but if taking someone to the Mosque is wrong then taking someone to Home Coming is also wrong.

So football is more wicked than a Mosque? Keep in mind I was going to Liberty University's homecoming (a Christian College) www.liberty.edu so it was not a homecoming in the sense of what you probalby have in mind. I was not taking him down to some homecoming party or dance etc.... My little cousin is a starter on the team. By the way I know who you are. :)

HigherThought
10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
So football is more wicked than a Mosque? Keep in mind I was going to Liberty University's homecoming (a Christian College) www.liberty.edu so it was not a homecoming in the sense of what you probalby have in mind. I was not taking him down to some homecoming party or dance etc.... My little cousin is a starter on the team. By the way I know who you are. :)

Yeah, I had in mind the wildness that goes on at Home Comings. Whether its a Christian school or not, Home Comings are usually out of control. Think about it, you have a friend who wanted to stop and pray at a mosque and an event known as home coming which is characterized by fanaticism for a bunch of dudes playing a game. You have cheer leaders, and the whole western mentality of self-pleasure. The funny thing about the whole thing is that your Muslem friend had no business participating in a Home Coming if he was truly a Muslem. Why go to a Mosque and pray and then participate in an event that the Islamic world shuns as part of the things thay dislike about Western Culture?

Quiet storm
10-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I had in mind the wildness that goes on at Home Comings. Whether its a Christian school or not, Home Comings are usually out of control. Think about it, you have a friend who wanted to stop and pray at a mosque and an event known as home coming which is characterized by fanaticism for a bunch of dudes playing a game. You have cheer leaders, and the whole western mentality of self-pleasure. The funny thing about the whole thing is that your Muslem friend had no business participating in a Home Coming if he was truly a Muslem. Why go to a Mosque and pray and then participate in an event that the Islamic world shuns as part of the things thay dislike about Western Culture?

Well perhaps that is a question you would have to ask him I will be sure to give you his number he is in philly just like you. :). However I fail to see the connection you are trying to make between me taking him to a football game as opposed to me taking him to a mosque. I could see if I was driving him around from party to party (even though there were none) but the purpose of the trip was to see a football game and to get up with cats we use to go to school with at the game.

phil
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Yo, i didnt know you went to liberty.

eternal
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM

PS: I know who you are.

The_Expositor
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I had in mind the wildness that goes on at Home Comings. Whether its a Christian school or not, Home Comings are usually out of control.

Christian school football games are usually out of control? Should no Christian ever play football or attend a football game?

BlackCalvinist
04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Thread necromancer.

Cyple
04-29-2009, 02:40 PM

yo phil is that Andre the Giant's son in your avatar?

Quiet storm
04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
smh @ this thread being bumped

dogfight!
04-29-2009, 03:03 PM
this is sorta related. I was at church some time last year and this dude asked if there was a place he could go pray. And i said, of course, he can pray anywhere but if he needed privacy the prayer chapel was open. He said that wasnt going to work. Now bear in mind he is foreign (and has an accent) so it was hard to understand him sometimes. Come to find out he is a muslim and wanted to pray in the manner muslims pray i.e. sunlight, some covering on the ground like a mat. I was totally shocked by his request because while we were talking before his request I had no idea he was muslim. Plus, he approached me as one of the officials of the church. I wasnt sure what to do and couldnt find a "paid" pastor to ask.